Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Dear Lord, I had no idea Berti Vogts was Klinsmann's assistant. That speaks volumes right there. :mediocre:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
Interesting press conference from Arena. Glad he tried to clarify his comments on foreign born players. He seems to understand what needs to be done, at least? If this is what we're getting, then I'm okay with it til 2018. Of course, actions, words, etc. http://www.si.com/planet-futbol/2016/11/29/bruce-arena-usmnt-feilhaber-bradley-january-camp-us-soccer

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

shirts and skins posted:

Interesting press conference from Arena. Glad he tried to clarify his comments on foreign born players. He seems to understand what needs to be done, at least? If this is what we're getting, then I'm okay with it til 2018. Of course, actions, words, etc. http://www.si.com/planet-futbol/2016/11/29/bruce-arena-usmnt-feilhaber-bradley-january-camp-us-soccer

Well he seems to have a realistic awareness of being behind the 8 ball and what is required to qualify.
The last world cup showed that neither Costa nor Mexico are weaklings, so the u.s. qualifying is not a given.
What he said about the player pool have been parroted since the 90's with little change.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
Meanwhile, a lot of the American soccer media are attempting to posit a more MLS-centric lineup with the likes of Dax McCarty and Feilhaber and even Lee Nguyen (who got some chances under Klinsmann), never mind all of those guys, and Bradley, are north of 30.

I have a feeling the lineup in the next WCQ is gonna look a lot more familiar than people think, and that's not a slight against Arena.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
The personnel is there for a decent team that qualifies rather easily, Klinsmann just hosed up.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

shirts and skins posted:

Has there been another manager in recent times who basically said "gently caress statistics" wrt to soccer?

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
What the hell kind of name is Bruce Arena anyway?

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer

Xabi posted:

About as :fsmug: as it gets

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Xabi posted:

It's Spanish for sand. Bruce Aréna: Secret Mexican Double Agent? We report, you decide.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

shirts and skins posted:

It's Spanish for sand. Bruce Aréna: Secret Mexican Double Agent? We deport, you decide.

Lemon
May 22, 2003

Just noticed this from the Hodgson interview:

BBC posted:

The former Blackburn and Fulham boss revealed that one aspect of the media coverage came as a surprise when he returned to the UK.

"I didn't realise I had a speech impediment until I came back to England," he said.

"I spent the whole of my life working abroad and no-one mentioned it. I came back to England and suddenly realised I had a speech impediment.

No wonder he was poo poo, he is literally too dumb to know that he can't talk.

Bea Nanner
Oct 20, 2003

Je suis excité!
Does he not have parents?

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
The Afcon thread you've all been clamoring for is up

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3804860

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
Who's ready to watch Josmer get his 100th cap?

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

Lemon posted:

Just noticed this from the Hodgson interview:

No wonder he was poo poo, he is literally too dumb to know that he can't talk.

I'm pretty sure that's just a pissy way of complaining about how people made fun of him.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
Usa is so bad. Every touch is terrible.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

sonatinas posted:

Usa is so bad. Every touch is terrible.

are so bad

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Paddyb posted:

Who's ready to watch Josmer get his 100th cap?

He's fallen quite well today

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
Bit spicy for a friendly

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

Has anyone said "Lletget GET" yet, because I wanna.

Reprisal
Jul 20, 2001
Southgate dropping deadwood from the England squad :monocle:

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

Reprisal posted:

Southgate dropping deadwood from the England squad :monocle:

Uhh not quite:

Goalkeepers: Fraser Forster (Southampton), Joe Hart (Torino, on loan from Man City), Tom Heaton (Burnley).

Defenders: Ryan Bertrand (Southampton), Gary Cahill (Chelsea), Nathaniel Clyne (Liverpool), Phil Jones (Man Utd), Michael Keane (Burnley), Luke Shaw (Man Utd), Chris Smalling (Man Utd), John Stones (Man City), Kyle Walker (Tottenham).

Midfielders: Dele Alli (Tottenham), Michail Antonio (West Ham), Ross Barkley (Everton), Eric Dier (Tottenham), Adam Lallana (Liverpool), Jesse Lingard (Man Utd), Jake Livermore (West Brom), Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain (Arsenal), Nathan Redmond (Southampton), Raheem Sterling (Man City), James Ward-Prowse (Southampton).

Strikers: Jermain Defoe (Sunderland), Marcus Rashford (Man Utd), Jamie Vardy (Leicester).

The notable absences (Rooney, Henderson, Kane, Sturridge) are all injured. Walcott has definitely been dropped though.

Reprisal
Jul 20, 2001
Southgate waffled on Rooney's explanation. and ultimately he's not selected Rooney, Welbeck, or Walcott. looking like Forster is ahead of Hart finally, too.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

should have called up carroll for antonio to ping balls at his head

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
yeah Carol is a useful option for sure.

I always found it a bit of a shame that Crouch never got more games in important matches for England, he linked up real well with Gerrard.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
Here's the U.S. roster for the upcoming qualifiers that we probably need 4 points from

quote:

U.S. MNT Roster by Position (Club; WCQ Caps/Goals):

GOALKEEPERS (3): Brad Guzan (Middlesbrough/ENG; 13/0) wife is expecting a kid so San Jose's David Bingham called in, Tim Howard (Colorado Rapids; 33/0), Nick Rimando (Real Salt Lake; 0/0)

DEFENDERS (8): DaMarcus Beasley (Houston Dynamo; 33/6), John Brooks (Hertha Berlin/GER; 2/0), Geoff Cameron (Stoke City/ENG; 19/2), Omar Gonzalez (Pachuca/MEX; 12/0), Michael Orozco (Club Tijuana/MEX; 6/1), Tim Ream (Fulham/ENG; 2/0), Jorge Villafaña (Santos Laguna/MEX; 0/0), Walker Zimmerman (FC Dallas; 0/0)

MIDFIELDERS (9): Kellyn Acosta (FC Dallas; 1/0), Alejandro Bedoya (Philadelphia Union; 6/0, Michael Bradley (Toronto FC/CAN; 31/5), Jermaine Jones (LA Galaxy; 16/0), Fabian Johnson (Borussia Mönchengladbach/GER; 15/1) replaced by Graham Zusi of SKC, Sebastian Lletget (LA Galaxy; 0/0), Dax McCarty (Chicago Fire; 0/0), Darlington Nagbe (Portland Timbers; 3/0), Christian Pulisic (Borussia Dortmund/GER; 5/2)

FORWARDS (4): Jozy Altidore (Toronto FC/CAN; 33/16), Clint Dempsey (Seattle Sounders FC; 36/13), Jordan Morris (Seattle Sounders FC; 3/0), Bobby Wood (Hamburg/GER; 8/3)

There's no real right back because DeAndre Yedlin is hurt (Eric Lichaj is hurt too, if one was to really believe he'd be called up). Graham Zusi got a runout there in the friendlies earlier this year but didn't do much, and he wasn't called up anyway. It's possible Orozco could start there; my hunch is that Cameron will do it, though, and be replaced by Gonzalez in the middle, because it's the least worst option IMO.

And Arena stated that Fabian Johnson would play midfielder, but he left Mönchengladbach's Europa League match in like the 15th minute yesterday, so his status is TBD out; Graham Zusi called up in his place

Real Name Grover fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Mar 18, 2017

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Reports say Copa America is coming back to the USA for 2020.

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL
this is going to be shite

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER
I'm gonna watch this, for some reason

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
I didn't catch all of that but I hope the summary was that Podolski is bad at playing football

Tortuga
Aug 27, 2011

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
This mascot looks a bit old

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL
Lahm, Schweinsteiger and now Poldi... end of a generation :cry:

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae
Germans booing the English anthem, this is how wars start

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

poty posted:

I didn't catch all of that but I hope the summary was that Podolski is bad at playing football

He's definitely bad at staying on schedule

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

I hate Glenn hoddle

Tortuga
Aug 27, 2011

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

mackintosh posted:

Germans booing the English anthem, this is how wars start

We booed theirs too tbf, but only cos they cut out the good bits

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Lol

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae
England are fail

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
Canada leading Scotland in the 11th minute. CONCACAF supremacy, mother fuckers!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:
Come on, England

• Locked thread