Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Koobes
Nov 6, 2012

Had a google play giftcard so decided to do a gem 11 pull for zell bsb....and well, I got it :getin:

It's going to be set up as a permanent RW if anyone wants some of them good ol' punch and kicks (Code: HjFG)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Now you don't have to suck meat from an exoskeleton!

Twelve by Pies posted:

Is there anyone else other than Onion Knight/Desch who really benefits from a sword that's more geared towards magic?

You know who has Shout that also has Ninja 4 and was instrumental in letting me both put Shout up for Reunion Sephiroth and use Phantasm to brute force Curada Guardian? Alright so my riddle sucks but of all the people I expected to have a use for a magic sword, Ramza wasn't it. And I wouldn't say he "really" benefits, I don't think there's anyone who you'd consider a primary caster or who uses the MAG stat even 30% of the time that has Sword access but not Rods and/or Staves.

SageAcrin
Apr 23, 2014

there was a mean thing here before, but now there is a dog
I've heard of some positively hilarious CM shenanigans involving caster swords, Dark Zone/Memento Mori, and people like Jecht who are in casts that don't normally get Darkness casters.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
Magic swords are good for letting otherwise non-magical people pull ninja shenanigans. Terra and Maria can also both use them for actual casting.

The Mattybee
Sep 15, 2007

despair.

Twelve by Pies posted:

Is there anyone else other than Onion Knight/Desch who really benefits from a sword that's more geared towards magic?

There are a lot of good casters who can equip them since they're generally comparable to rods anyway!

a computer ghost
May 30, 2011

an unhackable cat???
What I should be doing: Saving my mythril for OSBFest and Minfilia 1

What I did: 2 pulls on Squall 1 because my VIII synergy blows and gently caress it, I want Rinoa's burst.

What I got:

First pull was Combat King x 2 (dupe) and Squall's OSB (am I dreaming), second pull was Edea's SSB x 2 (yes!), Rinoa's Burst (!YES!), and a dupe Squall OSB (:stare: :stare: :stare:).

I'm sorry it's me I took all the banner luck and I'm still a little giddy over it.

The Mattybee
Sep 15, 2007

despair.

The Mattybee posted:

There are a lot of good casters who can equip them since they're generally comparable to rods anyway!

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

Terra and Maria can also both use them for actual casting.

See also: Ashe, Exdeath, Golbez!

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

I got Laguna's Sirius on the dollar draw.

Does this stack with Shout?

Andy Waltfeld
Dec 18, 2009
No, but it WILL stack with Onion Bracers/Bomb Core/Zell's self-buff from Combat King.

And Mighty Guard-8 or Cerberus can bring the Hastega half.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Okay then it seems like magic swords are good for a decent number of characters then. Now I feel even less bad about my pull.

I still wish I'd gotten the staff though.

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Ladies, hide your footwear!
Nap Ghost
Soul Breaks from Spira:

Yuna reverses the sending: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wuYnt71Fq8k
Tidus kicks a blitzball, and sadly, there are no explosions: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2yyaNuIuAs
... oh wait, there they are: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7kluNGy_G_A
Rikku joins the ATK/MAG up club: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHWtpkNv_m4

Inge
Jan 16, 2007
SERIOUSLY THATS DISGUSTING I'M TRYING TO EAT

iPodschun posted:

I got a dupe Lust Dagger and the Gauntlets. Totally worth it

I already got 4 lust daggers over 2 pulls. So... My III synergy is good. I would literally be chasing gauntlets

You're not helping :(

Twelve by Pies posted:

Okay then it seems like magic swords are good for a decent number of characters then. Now I feel even less bad about my pull.

I still wish I'd gotten the staff though.

They're generally pretty good, best for ninjas unless you have a combined / augmented magic sword. For synergy purposes, it's absolutely fine.

Just be careful, mages with swords default to the front row, which is not a good place for a mage to be

Inge fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Dec 1, 2016

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Okay, so if I have decent VIII synergy in general but no ice sbs, no hastega, and no dreamstage, i.e. none of the tools to make CM Ifrit doable, am I better off pulling on banner 1 so I might have the damage to kill him while still RWing wall, or banner 2 so that meteor is maybe possibly not essentially an auto-loss without wall? Note that I haven't necessarily decided to pull at all, but I think I remember seeing that the next VIII event's banners aren't very good for killing Ifrit?

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Andy Waltfeld posted:

No, but it WILL stack with Onion Bracers/Bomb Core/Zell's self-buff from Combat King.

And Mighty Guard-8 or Cerberus can bring the Hastega half.

But I don't have any of that stuff :argh:

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."
1/11, shared Esthar bracers. May have to rage pull on this one?

Sucks I'm out of mythril though, I guess I can see what happens on Banner 2. I usually pull better if I don't pull right away on a banner after getting enough mythril. It's kind of a superstition I have.

Armitage fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Dec 1, 2016

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
1/11, Vega.

Well, it was about time I whiffed on a banner; my last few non-LD pulls got me one of the grand prizes each time (Flame Staff, Zeus Mace, Gungnir). The temptation is there to try and pull something to combo with Freezing Barrage, but I might just cut my losses.

My continued whiffing on 50% Boostgas is becoming hilarious, my only Boostga is Apocalypse Shield, which is fine enough but man, even Visions of the Past would have been nice to combo with a Vessel of Fate RW.

ApplesandOranges fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Dec 1, 2016

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Oh brother, why couldn't I just stay strong... 2 more pulls on OK 1, third yielded 2/11, both off-banner generics including the FFT Chameleon Robe, perhaps one of the most infamous generics of all time, and my fourth (and final, for real this time) was a 3/11, another off-banner generic (!) and both of Arc's SBs. Still at 209 Mythril so I'm covered for XIV and will have more to toss Orlandeau's way when that comes around but what was it I said, there was only one item on there that'd really hit the mark? Even so, whiffing on both the OK things and the Luneth BSB is starting to feel like regular banners are a bit of a jinx.

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?
Got Squall's coat on my dollar pull. Barring my having his BSB, is there a compelling reason to keep him as a mainstay on parties outside of FF8 and the challenge mode? I've got Zidane BSB and Cloud's OSB and I feel like they're great for damage. Basically Squall right now synergizes with the wind imperil with one of his BSB commands but he doesn't offer a whole lot that Cloud already does, so I'm thinking he should be benched nine times outta ten.

Plus I think that third slot for damage/??? can be filled in by Onion Knight and his SSB or Agrias and Cleansing Strike

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Servaetes posted:

Got Squall's coat on my dollar pull. Barring my having his BSB, is there a compelling reason to keep him as a mainstay on parties outside of FF8 and the challenge mode?

As a base character? Not really - Squall's arguably the worst Spellblade 5, since he's locked into only Swords and Daggers, and the only thing backing up his Spellblade access is Combat and some low level magic - diving for Knight 3 isn't worth that much.

Still, if you don't have any other SB for your Spellblades, he's a competent enough option and Mystic Flurry is pretty good for a base SB.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
Man, I really want to pull on one of these banners. I do have offensive FF8 synergy, but all my soul breaks are ancient. But might as well wait for Alphinaud now, and skip the CM if I have to. FF8 cast is so blurgh outside their home realm.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

ApplesandOranges posted:

As a base character? Not really - Squall's arguably the worst Spellblade 5, since he's locked into only Swords and Daggers, and the only thing backing up his Spellblade access is Combat and some low level magic - diving for Knight 3 isn't worth that much.

Still, if you don't have any other SB for your Spellblades, he's a competent enough option and Mystic Flurry is pretty good for a base SB.

The one niche that he shines in without a B/OSB, but with his jacket, is working in tandem with an Imperil Ice carrier (or against already ice vulnerable foes), swinging around Snowspell Strike like nobodies fuckin' business. He's good at that.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

CaptainPsyko posted:

The one niche that he shines in without a B/OSB, but with his jacket, is working in tandem with an Imperil Ice carrier (or against already ice vulnerable foes), swinging around Snowspell Strike like nobodies fuckin' business. He's good at that.

Laguna is still the only Imperil Ice, and this is the last time Vega shows up on a banner for at least six months. It's not a great incentive for the most part, especially since Laguna has no Ice options whatsoever - he can't even RW anything physical for it, since there are no physical BSBs with an Ice command.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
I didn't say it was a very large niche!!!

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

CaptainPsyko posted:

I didn't say it was a very large niche!!!

So basically useless dad makes useless son slightly less useless.

Just like in the original game! :v:

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
I did an 11 pull hoping for some ice damage and got both of zells relics instead. His BSB actually looks good??? 🤔

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

fridge corn posted:

I did an 11 pull hoping for some ice damage and got both of zells relics instead. His BSB actually looks good??? 🤔

Zell's BSB is magnificent. Held back slightly by no element and his commands being Combat, but it's incredibly good otherwise. Unfortunately it means you just won't have the time to fit in his SSB.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

ApplesandOranges posted:

Zell's BSB is magnificent. Held back slightly by no element and his commands being Combat, but it's incredibly good otherwise. Unfortunately it means you just won't have the time to fit in his SSB.

What it means is that you have options now. If you want to record dive, give Zell Celerity 5 and slap Powerchain/Full Charge on him with a +fist damage RM to use until he builds up gauge for Duel, and then just spam those commands until the boss is dead.

If you don't, give him Lifesiphon (or Meteor Crash, if you aren't running Shout), Lifebane, and a +Monk damage RM, and start spamming 5-hit lifebanes once you get Combat King up.

Either way, you have two options for Zell now: poo poo out damage, and poo poo out more damage.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
It's been a while, so I decided to go and update my SB spreadsheet.

Y'know, I just might have enough XII synergy.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

SageAcrin posted:

I've heard of some positively hilarious CM shenanigans involving caster swords, Dark Zone/Memento Mori, and people like Jecht who are in casts that don't normally get Darkness casters.

That's a pretty funny idea actually

I have a 8* Ashe SB sword (the first one) but with synergy it's both my best physical and magical item bar none and it's always weird to see like, Tidus have 400 magic he can't use

Twelve by Pies posted:

After thinking about it a bit I'm a little more okay with my pull than I was initially. Since those swords are for Desch who's a hybrid physical/magic character, that means that for III content, my Onion Knight will have a strong weapon that also boosts his magic, so he'll be great for ninja magic as well as physical stuff.

People mentioned a bunch but Ashe has a level 99 RM that boosts magic with a sword too

Inge
Jan 16, 2007
SERIOUSLY THATS DISGUSTING I'M TRYING TO EAT
Holy poo poo, I never thought of that. That's amazing

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.
Gem draw got me laguna's ssb, and niw I havr both a boostga and a boostga/faithga for ffviii. At least now I have a reason to use him over irvine, and I can combine the other two guns I had.

My ffviii synergy grows stronger, all I need is a selphie stick and I'll be set. Future proofed for fujin and raijin too, as I have 3 throwing magiv weapons and 2 fists. And hell, if I grt another of those I can always just combine either since both sets are identical.

NBHS
Mar 2, 2012

"I'm here for you. To make children smile, to make profits rise, I am the subservient of the network.

"... did we get all that on tape?"
Greetings, keeperinos. Been getting back in after months of playing off-and-on (primarily due to finally pulling a decent healer SB) and was wondering where to fiddle with things to help me finally get the Crystal-III lodes I'll be needing. I expect I've missed the boat on getting most of these FFVII ones at least for a while, but I can spend some time shoring up other things and farming some RMs I've ignored. I'm presently working with:

quote:

Sephiroth** L80
Yoshiyuki / Genji Armor / Some 20ATK Acc.
Black Materia / Heroic Stance

Red XIII** L76
Crystal Comb / Loliday Mittens / Some 20ATK Acc.
Protector's Roar, Lunatic High / Survival Instinct

Cloud** L78
6* Ultima Sword / Ninja Suit / Some 20ATK Acc.
Blade Beam / SOLDIER Strike

Aerith** L76
Wizer Rod / Cat-Ear Hood / Angel Brooch
White Materia / Cetra's Destiny

Jecht** L76
7* Flexible Arm / Kuja's Gloves / Some 20ATK Acc.
Jecht Shot / Heavy-Handed Father

... with fairly substandard abilities for the most part. Any recommendations, notes? I know the first thing I should probably jump at is Zangan Way to support that Flexible Arm, but I'm out of Crystal-II lodes at present - fixing that today. Still waiting for Mako Might to drop.

Action George
Apr 13, 2013
FF8 banner gave me a second jacket for Squall. The game apparently wants me to use Squall since I already had a dupe of his BSB.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche
Is Jecht the only final boss that's shown up so far on the JP side? Seems like they can stretch it out forever at this rate. Heck, technically Jecht isn't even X's final boss!

Geocities Homepage King
Nov 26, 2007

I have good news, and I have bad news.
Which do you want to hear first...?

Krad posted:

Is Jecht the only final boss that's shown up so far on the JP side? Seems like they can stretch it out forever at this rate. Heck, technically Jecht isn't even X's final boss!

Don't forget all the Dark Aeons and Monster Coliseum bosses!

I foolishly did a power of 3 pull on this FF8 banner because while my FF8 synergy is good I have nothing but Squall SBs pretty much. I ended up getting 3 5*s.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

People mentioned a bunch but Ashe has a level 99 RM that boosts magic with a sword too

I might have to get her MCIII this event then.

I went ahead and combined the two swords since even with synergy, it had less attack power than a VII Ragnarok, and I can't imagine too many situations where I'd have more than one sword-equipping mage in III content.

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

What's your Mythril situation like? Right now, you need to fix your offense because while none of the previous is intended, your offensive SBs are badly outdated and you don't look like you have a Wall. Protector's Roar will tide you over and is good enough in a pinch but we can do better. Right now, you still have a chance to get The Best BSB In The Game, Vessel of Fate, on one of the highest tier characters the game has, Onion Knight. First thing you need to do, no question, is go to the Event dungeons and try to get as far into Aspiring Knight as you can. If you manage to get Onion Knight's Memory Crystal III, then you want to pull on the Onion Knight banner 1 and pray for a spot of good luck. If you get Onion Gauntlets, you'll be set on offense pretty much no matter what you pull on and draw in the future barring insane weird luck like getting all healer or support SBs, but that won't happen, and you'll be able to use Wall from RWs without having to worry about anything whereas right now you need to RW either Hastega or Wall because you can't rely on Red XIII being able to put up both of his SBs and that's not a position you want to be in if you can help it. If you don't have Mythril to pull on this banner, absolutely cannot get OK's MC3 (though I don't see you failing to get it if you try) or don't want to use him period, then your best bet will be to grit your teeth for a few weeks, build up your Mythril reserves for the upcoming OSB Fest which, while we don't know what the banners will look like exactly, will be a curated collection of some of the best items that exist, and for the upcoming FFXIV event, specifically Minfilia 1, possibly the best overall banner that's ever been seen to date, current-day JP included. RM-wise, I would prioritize getting Dr. Mog's Teachings to go along with Mako Might as those are the most important RMs by far. If you don't have Tifa at 65 right this moment, put off The Zangan Way, it can wait. Job one is getting both Tyro's and Cloud's RM3s. After that, right now you still probably would benefit from Soul Break gauge boosters so I'd look into getting Ace Striker and Battleforged from Tidus and Ramza. Once that's done you can start looking into getting the +fist and +sword RMs.

Regarding what you can do right now to beat content, I think your best shot is to go into fights with a Shout RW, use Red XIII to put up Full Break and Magic Breakdown, put up Protectga or Shellga (usually the latter) with Aerith, use Power Break and Armor Break with Cloud and Jecht, use Dark Bargain on Sephiroth and then go to town with Lifesiphon on all three of your physical attackers. Any of the abilities I listed that you don't have, craft right away and hone them up, other than Dark Bargain which can stay at R1 for a while. R3 at least, R4 if you can. Damage won't be a problem and you'll hopefully be able to mitigate just enough damage with the Breaks and Breakdowns to stay alive. You do have a really good healer SB so I'm not too concerned there. Oh, and unequip Heavy-Handed Father and put... something else in there. Anything. I don't care what. If you're ever in a situation where you're using a regular attack and you're not Auto-Attacking your way through trash, you need to reconsider.

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

Hello Hi I am a lucky motherfucker

:shepface:

Animation owns, instant cast, crit+50% with stun on entry, dark bargain command 1 and power chain command 2 into full charges. loving INCREDIBLE dps.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

Beasteh posted:

Hello Hi I am a lucky motherfucker

:shepface:

Animation owns, instant cast, crit+50% with stun on entry, dark bargain command 1 and power chain command 2 into full charges. loving INCREDIBLE dps.

Why are you 3-pulling? :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

Because someone on another forum posted they got Zell's BSB on a lucky three pull. 'I can do that too, easy' I thought as I spent my last 15 mythril

E: this is karma for me whiffing horribly on the last few banners

• Locked thread