Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Note Block
May 14, 2007

nothing could fit so perfectly inside

Fun Shoe
Does your party of Pokemon only get the ribbon the first time you beat the E4 or will other Pokemon get it on subsequent wins?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Old Ganon
Jan 2, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER
^^Pokemon will get it whenever you beat them, so they should get the ribbon in subsequent runs

Abundant Atrophy posted:

I will cherish this beautiful dragon.
Sorry about that rando nature, I hadn't started breeding them properly yet. Thanks for the dag, though. I appreciate it.

Note Block
May 14, 2007

nothing could fit so perfectly inside

Fun Shoe

That Old Ganon posted:

^^Pokemon will get it whenever you beat them, so they should get the ribbon in subsequent runs

Ok, thanks! I didn't want to screw my Snorlax, "Big Wins" Kitaki, out of a ribbon, because he da real MVP but my projected roster for the E4 can't accommodate him well.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.

That Old Ganon posted:

You want any? They're just collecting dust in my boxes.

I have nothing to offer. I just cleared the second trial. I don't mind that much because I'm having fun playing the game and I barely understand breeding/natures.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Link trading is fun. It sometimes takes a few minutes to accept but once they do you just throw up a lvl 1 castform and get cool poo poo in return. then if they don't exit out I start showing starters I've bred

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

Shiny777 posted:

Anyone want Honedges in Beast Balls? Because I've currently got a 4IV Quiet Wide Guard/Destiny Bond one making eggs with a 6IV Ditto right now, so those are gonna be piling up pretty fast soon.

FC's 1332-9128-2747, IGN is Alice if anyone's interested.

Also I've got a bunch of 3-4 IV Modest Popplio and about 8 spare perfect 5s if anyone wants any of those.

Can I get a Honedge and 5s Popplio. I can breed you Rockruff, Mudbray, Gible, Turtonator, and Salandit that has 4IV that can be modest, jolly, impish, and adamant. I have 1 Adamant Mudbray ready but the others have to wait until tomorrow evening.

Abundant Atrophy
Nov 3, 2012
A battle of wits with getting a stubborn mudbray into a beast ball without it calling in help that would kill it with Bulldoze.
A battle so long it evolved a Surskit.

Other adventures in SOS chaining: I learned Primeape can learn Final Gambit :downs:

Abundant Atrophy fucked around with this message at 10:48 on Dec 1, 2016

Shiny777
Oct 29, 2011

YAMI WO KIRISAKU
OH DESIRE

Jarogue posted:

Can I get a Honedge and 5s Popplio. I can breed you Rockruff, Mudbray, Gible, Turtonator, and Salandit that has 4IV that can be modest, jolly, impish, and adamant. I have 1 Adamant Mudbray ready but the others have to wait until tomorrow evening.

Sure. I'll set one of each aside, toss me a Mudbray and a Rockruff for 'em whenever you're on tomorrow.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Is the level curve on this game messed up? Because I haven't been grinding, just fighting all the trainers I've found and my party is sitting at like level 37 against an average trainer level of 30.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Yorkshire Tea posted:

Is the level curve on this game messed up? Because I haven't been grinding, just fighting all the trainers I've found and my party is sitting at like level 37 against an average trainer level of 30.

Exp. Share?

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
You can turn off the exp share. I actually found myself consistently underleveled for a good chunk of the mid-game content.

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

When looking for Castform or Goomy, does it matter what calls for help as long as it's raining?

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Use it to train up freshly hatched mons but leave it off after imo.

Also random though bu i'd love if salandit and maernie's abilities were switched... both just seem kind of underwhelming for what they are trying to do as is.

Burger McAngus
May 24, 2010

So, I just beat the E4 a few days ago and I'm wondering, what's the new way of raising up competitive murderbeasts? I haven't kept up with any of that since XY.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Does Poke Pelago increase Affection like Refresh and give you those in-battle bonuses?

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Pureauthor posted:

Exp. Share?

I mean yes that's it, but I'd been told initially that the game was balanced around you having it on all the time. If that's not the case then off it goes.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Yorkshire Tea posted:

I mean yes that's it, but I'd been told initially that the game was balanced around you having it on all the time. If that's not the case then off it goes.

It's balanced around it being on all the time if you're a small child, maybe. Sun/Moon w/o Exp. Share is a genuinely challenging experience.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I thought Sun/Moon was more challenging than the previous games even with Exp. Share on (although I never wiped, I'll admit). I know that having traded Pokémon will throw the whole difficulty curve in the toilet though, since even with the exp scaling you'll still outlevel everything by quite a bit :v:

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Kite Pride Worldwide posted:

Does Poke Pelago increase Affection like Refresh and give you those in-battle bonuses?

Not unless I'm missing an island, the friendship you get from the hot springs (and luxury balls, the soothe bell, and that counts for evolutions that aren't Sylveon) is a completely different, bordering on legacy mechanic.

Kite Pride Worldwide posted:

It's balanced around it being on all the time if you're a small child, maybe. Sun/Moon w/o Exp. Share is a genuinely challenging experience.

You might want to leave/put it back on after the third island though, the last one (with the dungeon before it to catch up) is a bit of a level spike that never really lets up.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
I mean I was just a bit surprised, all the outlets were saying that this thing was actually a challenge even with Exp. Share so I expected that Nuzlocking it like that would be a legitimate challenge. But here I am now ruining everything in sight.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
The game is a cakewalk for the first three islands (unless you get caught off guard by totem pokemon of types you can't deal with, I guess), has a steep level jump at the beginning of the 4th island, and the E4 is actually somewhat tough even you're a bit higher level than them.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
I still don't understand the hate for Exp.Share. Do people really hate convenient things that save you time?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

The problem is the level curve of playing the game normally. Pokemon (against the AI) tends to be more fun when you don't outlevel the opponent, because that forces you to actually use strategy.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Dizz posted:

I still don't understand the hate for Exp.Share. Do people really hate convenient things that save you time?

Obviously you aren't hard core like me, making the single player campaign in a game for players of any age but as young as, well, basically as soon as you can read and make sense of sentences, as difficult as possible

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Dizz posted:

If battles are nothing but time to be saved, what are you playing for?

To be a little less unfair, I personally miss being able to catch up one member of team without still giving EXP to the whole lot, experience being divided evenly means the relative level balance of your team basically never changes - I didn't get a chance to use my starter for a whole island until I turned it off. Gen V scaling helps somewhat, but not entirely - and, while I don't revile it like some people, at the cost of post-game convenience.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Dizz posted:

I certainly don't hate it, in fact I really like it. The problem I have is that having it on trivialises the game since you effectively triple your EXP output and outlevel everything. The problem is currently that the devs have to balance around a person not having it on and a person who does have it on.

In an ideal world EXP share would always be on and the difficulty curve would be based around the idea that it's always active.

I guess it's that if I beat a trainer with literally no thought then the trainers I face are just meaningless obstacles and are just a grind. If I beat a trainer but have to think about my choices a little they cease to be meaningless and don't feel like as much of a grind.

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer

Yorkshire Tea posted:

I certainly don't hate it, in fact I really like it. The problem I have is that having it on trivialises the game since you effectively triple your EXP output and outlevel everything. The problem is currently that the devs have to balance around a person not having it on and a person who does have it on.

In an ideal world EXP share would always be on and the difficulty curve would be based around the idea that it's always active.

I guess it's that if I beat a trainer with literally no thought then the trainers I face are just meaningless obstacles and are just a grind. If I beat a trainer but have to think about my choices a little they cease to be meaningless and don't feel like as much of a grind.

A problem no one is mentioning is that it's impossible to balance when every player varies on how often and when they spend lots of time and battles hunting for Pokemon. Dynamically adjusting Pokemon levels the player faces also has a myriad of issues to go along with it. This problem is never going away.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I mean, I just had the exp share on whenever NPC trainers started outleveling my team and turned it off when I got caught up. I did have a hard time getting the Exeggutor and Vulpix I caught near the end up to speed, but it's not like I couldn't have used first turn switching if I really wanted to.

It's definitely a step up from something like HGSS where you can just end up horribly underleveled with no recourse but to grind or brute force your way through the endgame.

Zulily Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Dec 1, 2016

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

grilldos posted:

A problem no one is mentioning is that it's impossible to balance when every player varies on how often and when they spend lots of time and battles hunting for Pokemon. Dynamically adjusting Pokemon levels the player faces also has a myriad of issues to go along with it. This problem is never going away.

I mean that is just the problem with any RPG ever. I think a reasonable assumption would be that a player fights almost every trainer that they see and encounters x wild pokemon between every y trainers on average. Variances beyond that are dealt with via dynamic XP rewards and that higher level pokemon need more experience to level.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I need to fight those trainers for fashion money.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Clarste posted:

I need to fight those trainers for fashion money.

I prefer the fashions in pokefrance to pokehawaii. I haven't seen anything that meets my discerning taste.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Khanstant posted:

No.

What's the best place to power level pokemon? The area before battle tree is okay, but kind of slows down past level 30.

Fight the elite four over and over

Specto
Jun 28, 2010
Ugh, it takes so long for Sharpedo to successfully call for help. Getting a Speed boost Sharpedo is going to take a while

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Specto posted:

Ugh, it takes so long for Sharpedo to successfully call for help. Getting a Speed boost Sharpedo is going to take a while

I find it goes faster the less health they have, get False Swipin'. Unless it knows a recoil move that you can't be immune to, I guess.

E: What I mean by that last part is, remember you can gently caress Take Down with a Ghost type. General advice, I don't know how applicable it is to the mean shark.

Specto
Jun 28, 2010

AlphaKretin posted:

I find it goes faster the less health they have, get False Swipin'. Unless it knows a recoil move that you can't be immune to, I guess.

It's already at 1 HP, I've been using an Adrenaline orb repeatably to stall for time. 15-20 turns and only 1 summon. I figured it couldn't be worse then getting a Marvel Scale Dratini, but it is. It might be one of the more annoying HA's to get.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Yorkshire Tea posted:

I prefer the fashions in pokefrance to pokehawaii. I haven't seen anything that meets my discerning taste.

Iunno, I was super disappointed when I finally unlocked the snooty expensive store and all they had on sale was fedoras and J-rock costumes. Whereas when I found the fancy store in Alola...

(how do you take good 3DS screenshots?)

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
Heh, nobody on the GTS is biting my Castform for a completely legit(tm) 6IV Ditto.

Got trolled with a lvl 100 one with all 0 IVs though. Why is he/she even doing this

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

What do you use to check if it actually has the ha?

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

(how do you take good 3DS screenshots?)

I think it's something to do with Miiverse, but SuMo disable it for some reason. Otherwise, capture cards and homebrew.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
Where can I get a Pokedex entry for Solgaleo so I can GTS trade it