Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What should I post in the anime thread?
This poll is closed.
food 14 10.37%
cat 28 20.74%
selfies 22 16.30%
touhous 41 30.37%
robots 30 22.22%
Total: 135 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

chumbler posted:

I assume you mean Stand Alone Complex for GitS, so I recommend that.

If that's what the anime that's supposed to be good is, then yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Cuntellectual posted:

If that's what the anime that's supposed to be good is, then yes.
the movies are good, also

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

not the SAC movies, though

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Cuntellectual posted:

Which of these animes I have not seen should I watch before the others:

ghost in the shell
evangelion
madoka

watch eva, and then immediately afterwards watch yuri on ice

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Out of the houses, which is the most blue?

The answer might not be be obvious at first.

Gravy Boat 2k

Cuntellectual posted:

Which of these animes I have not seen should I watch before the others:

ghost in the shell
evangelion
madoka

Madoka is the only one of these I've seen and now I'm set on watching the movies, so go for that.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Madoka

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

they're all good actually.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Droyer posted:

they're all good actually.

Droyer you should play noted robot game Titanfall 2.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

chumbler posted:

Droyer you should play noted robot game Titanfall 2.

i will if you buy it for me

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Titanfall 2 story mode made me laugh because one of the later boss fights was against a highly mobile flying type that was painted red and I've no idea how deliberate it was.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
battle angel alita is an insanely badass manga

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

The Colonel posted:

battle angel alita is an insanely badass manga

That reminds me, I still need to watch the OVAs.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Parallax posted:

evangelion

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

El Burbo posted:

No no this doesn't work

The point of mimikyu is that it disguises itself as something likable

X

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

Kids...

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Parallax posted:

evangelion

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
I suggest not Eva first, because it will leave you some combination of confused and emotionally exhausted, which isn't a good state in which to watch more anime.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Lemon-Lime posted:

That reminds me, I still need to watch the OVAs.

the ova sounds uh...meh. adapts the hugo arc, skips makaku, adds a weird romance plot for ido, and a bunch of characters aren't present or are killed despite living in the manga. so just don't expect much.

Cowwan
Feb 23, 2011
I'm gonna be the bad guy and say, with any of those, try to go in with tempered expectations. They're all wonderful, but anything would have a hard time living up to the hype they get.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I made a youtube video using my PS4, please give feedback, like, comment and subscribe :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLwql4aps-o

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

Terper posted:

I made a youtube video using my PS4, please give feedback, like, comment and subscribe :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLwql4aps-o

add flying ignis for tons of views

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

dogsicle posted:

the ova sounds uh...meh. adapts the hugo arc, skips makaku, adds a weird romance plot for ido, and a bunch of characters aren't present or are killed despite living in the manga. so just don't expect much.

I remember seeing some of it when I was younger and thinking it looked cool, so it's mostly just a "actually watch it" thing, but that sucks. :(

A Doomed Purloiner
Jan 4, 2006

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

I suggest not Eva first, because it will leave you some combination of confused and emotionally exhausted, which isn't a good state in which to watch more anime.

Evangelion was one of the very first anime I ever watched so I can state from personal experience that this is not true.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Heck I'd say Eva is the least draining experience out of those three shows

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
I'd say the opposite.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.
I've only watched Eva and Madoka out of that list, and I enjoyed Madoka quite a bit more. So if I was going to suggest one to do first, it would be Madoka.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.

DisDisDis posted:

How can I get into your line of work?
Do you like to do field work? All the guys are so gosh darn shippable, and they make it so easy.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

I'd say the opposite.

My rationale is while all three are good choices, Eva has the most human element to it. Meanwhile GITS (especially SAC) can get weighed down with technobabble, and Madoka has, well, Urobuchi being Urobuchi with regards to character writing.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Lemon-Lime posted:

I remember seeing some of it when I was younger and thinking it looked cool, so it's mostly just a "actually watch it" thing, but that sucks. :(

It's a neatly animated two part 90's OVA which is obviously not going to come close to the manga clocking in at like 60 minutes or something. It's a few cool scenes from the manga animated though.

I'm surprised Gunnm/Alita never got a full anime since I'm sure it was pretty popular at one point, though it might also be one of those things that was more popular with western readers than Japanese ones.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

A lot of the fun of the OVA boom was just seeing a little piece of something bigger, done in a way that looked better than a tv series would

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

And all the gore and tits too I guess

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

do they still make OVAs nowadays

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yeah but they're mostly relegated to one off extra episodes of a recently aired anime or based on already popular franchises.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

a cartoon duck posted:

do they still make OVAs nowadays

A bit yeah.

Cyborg 009 vs Devilman was recent. There are lots of shows with bonus eps if you wanna count those.

Plenty of OVAs are screened theatrically on release day too. Yamato 2199 got that treatment. Ditto with stuff like Gundam Unicorn and The Origin.

They still exist but it's a different environment.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

Srice posted:

My rationale is while all three are good choices, Eva has the most human element to it. Meanwhile GITS (especially SAC) can get weighed down with technobabble, and Madoka has, well, Urobuchi being Urobuchi with regards to character writing.

Yeah, I get that. Counterpoint: people can be very hosed up and depressing, and that is literally all Eva shows.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/illegenes/status/804057271034662912

I can't believe I have to wait until loving lunch to watch more Flip Flappers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

Yeah, I get that. Counterpoint: people can be very hosed up and depressing, and that is literally all Eva shows.

Gits and Madoka aren't exactly feel good anime either

• Locked thread