Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

override367 posted:

Yes she definitely should have done it earlier! Maybe also not lying about classified material and number of devices she used and all that

There is a good excuse for the e-mail server, even the behavior that goes against rules, there is little excuse for flatly lying about it

The only defense we really had for her is "But Trump is so much worse!", which is really tough when you're the party that relies on having energetic turnout. The other defense of "But it was a nothingburger!" really isn't a defense, because when it comes to politics what is or is not a nothingburger is not connected to the facts

I'm not arguing that Clinton didn't make mistakes handling the issue, I'm just raging against the stupidity of the American public on this particular issue.

Like, had she carried two blackberries around, she might be president right now. We live on a dumb planet.

override367 posted:

Well complaining that it's unfair is so much shouting at clouds, the issue did have legs, and it did stick

At some point we have to admit that she had some fault in the matter instead of just always falling back to "But if X had done Y" or "But Trump" because that doesn't work
all we are doing is shouting at clouds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

override367
Apr 29, 2013

theflyingorc posted:

I'm not arguing that Clinton didn't make mistakes handling the issue, I'm just raging against the stupidity of the American public on this particular issue.

Like, had she carried two blackberries around, she might be president right now. We live on a dumb planet.

But she *did* carry multiple devices around, that was another lie she told to justify her fuckup lol

You can rail against the American people all you want but I think at some point we need to be critical of the candidate!

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

override367 posted:

But she *did* carry multiple devices around, that was another lie she told to justify her fuckup lol

Source whatever you're talking about

override367
Apr 29, 2013

theflyingorc posted:

Source whatever you're talking about

The testimony by Comey, he might have been lying I'll concede

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

override367 posted:

The testimony by Comey, he might have been lying I'll concede

I suspect you don't know what you're talking about. Give me exactly what he said and how it refutes the "she didn't want to carry two blackberries" thing, because I've heard that from multiple journalistic sources.

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

theflyingorc posted:

she specifically did that during one of the debates

She should have done it earlier, but I doubt she expected it to become literally the #1 discussed issue of the campaign.

yeah it took her forever to just swallow her pride and say "yep what I did was wrong" without having to add "but seriously this isn't that big of a deal" to the end of it.

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

override367 posted:

At any given moment she had a blackberry and an ipad. She went through multiple blackberries because they keep coming out with new models.

An ipad is not something you keep in your pocket. Claiming that having a smartphone and a tablet as "having multiple mobile devices" and therefore contradictory to wanting to keep one device on your person at all times doesn't reflect the reality of technology.

override367
Apr 29, 2013

zegermans posted:

At any given moment she had a blackberry and an ipad. She went through multiple blackberries because they keep coming out with new models.

An ipad is not something you keep in your pocket. Claiming that having a smartphone and a tablet as "having multiple mobile devices" and therefore contradictory to wanting to keep one device on your person at all times doesn't reflect the reality of technology.

Fair point, I guess but idk

Hillary Clinton posted:

There are reasons when you start out in Washington on a Blackberry you stay on it in many instances. But it's also — I don't know, I don't throw anything away. I'm like two steps short of a hoarder. So I have an iPad, a mini iPad, an iPhone and a Blackberry

override367 fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Dec 1, 2016

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

zegermans posted:

yeah it took her forever to just swallow her pride and say "yep what I did was wrong" without having to add "but seriously this isn't that big of a deal" to the end of it.

"Swallowing pride" is rarely rewarded in a politician. Remember how bullish Trump is whenever he is caught doing something wrong? Admitting fault makes you look weak in the eyes of most of the electorate.

override367
Apr 29, 2013

BarbarianElephant posted:

"Swallowing pride" is rarely rewarded in a politician. Remember how bullish Trump is whenever he is caught doing something wrong? Admitting fault makes you look weak in the eyes of most of the electorate.

I feel like you kind of have to go full out "What I did was for the good of the nation" ala Oliver North, admit fault totally and apologize without reservation (and be transparent), or "We were always at war with Eastasia" the thing and deny it ever happened

NathanScottPhillips
Jul 23, 2009

theflyingorc posted:

The E-mails were supposed to be deleted BEFORE she was being investigated, but the people who managed her server had forgotten to do it. When the investigation started, they said "oh crap" and went and did the deletion that they were supposed to have done months earlier.

It looked bad, but it was nothing. The whole E-mail scandal was the biggest pile of nothing imaginable. Every CEO at every company in the country does dumber IT Security things every day.
Wow this is the most blatant white washing I have ever seen on this topic.

It does not matter what they're procedures were, what they were supposed to have done in the past, etc. They deleted evidence that was under a protection order. The protection order trumps all of their internal procedures. It's illegal. Intent has nothing to do with it, only that the evidence was deleted. It's illegal what she and her staff did plain and simple. She is a career lawyer of course she knows that deleting evidence is illegal, even "if we forgot lol."

override367
Apr 29, 2013

NathanScottPhillips posted:

It does not matter what they're procedures were, what they were supposed to have done in the past, etc. They deleted evidence that was under a protection order. The protection order trumps all of their internal procedures. It's illegal. Intent has nothing to do with it, only that the evidence was deleted. It's illegal what she and her staff did plain and simple. She is a career lawyer of course she knows that deleting evidence is illegal, even "if we forgot lol."

A large minority if not outright majority of politicians skirt rules like this all the time because there's no part of government that really stops them. Comey wasn't wrong, it takes a pretty strong case to actually prosecute (one I remember reading about was a soldier who took classified material off base, and then hid it in his friend's house so he didn't get in trouble, and the act of deliberately hiding it is what got him a few months in the pen)

The federal government really should have a department to handle IT and information security for the entire federal government, and they should have some teeth to enforce their standards, but that kind of thinking is fantasy

Edit: it's worth keeping in mind that HRC herself did not do the deleting and while Comey was off editorializing about how irresponsible she was he might have taken a moment to LOUDLY point out that she isn't the one who deleted those items. Hillary was very bad at actually adapting to the narrative and keeping her own narrative consistent throughout the matter though

override367 fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Dec 1, 2016

NathanScottPhillips
Jul 23, 2009

override367 posted:

A large minority if not outright majority of politicians skirt rules like this all the time because there's no part of government that really stops them. Comey wasn't wrong, it takes a pretty strong case to actually prosecute (one I remember reading about was a soldier who took classified material off base, and then hid it in his friend's house so he didn't get in trouble, and the act of deliberately hiding it is what got him a few months in the pen)

The federal government really should have a department to handle IT and information security for the entire federal government, and they should have some teeth to enforce their standards, but that kind of thinking is fantasy

Edit: it's worth keeping in mind that HRC herself did not do the deleting and while Comey was off editorializing about how irresponsible she was he might have taken a moment to LOUDLY point out that she isn't the one who deleted those items
A lawyer's license is on the line if their receptionist destroys evidence under court order at the lowest levels of county court in our country. It is their responsibility to run the office and be in control of their employees. Of course we can't expect high ranking officials in the government to be subject to the law as a normal person would be, but blatantly making excuses and giving the ultimate benefit of the doubt like theflyingorc did is 100% the wrong direction to take when confronted with that problem.

e: also it's why nobody respects the dems.

NathanScottPhillips fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Dec 1, 2016

size1one
Jun 24, 2008

I don't want a nation just for me, I want a nation for everyone

this been posted here yet? :tinfoil:

https://www.wyden.senate.gov/download/?id=D12DD589-5800-4BEF-9F93-A0A122F38D29&download=1

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Her staff didn't do it, dude. The company she had contracted out did it. The FBI investigation found no evidence that they were deleted in an attempt to hide anything. Clinton and her staff were under the impression that the data was already deleted.

NathanScottPhillips
Jul 23, 2009

theflyingorc posted:

Her staff didn't do it, dude. The company she had contracted out did it. The FBI investigation found no evidence that they were deleted in an attempt to hide anything. Clinton and her staff were under the impression that the data was already deleted.
A) Intent doesn't matter. B) Once the protection order was issued Clinton herself should have instructed any and all parties with access to the data to freeze it and protect it. C) Ultimately it is her data and she takes final responsibility for it.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

A) Intent doesn't matter. B) Once the protection order was issued Clinton herself should have instructed any and all parties with access to the data to freeze it and protect it. C) Ultimately it is her data and she take final responsibility for it.

OK, you're not getting it, so:

December 2014 - Clinton sorted her E-mail into a "work" and "not work" pile (actually, her staff did). All the "work" e-mails were sent to the state department to be archived.

Immediately after that within a few days: Clinton's people informed the company who managed her E-mail account to delete any and all E-mails they had.

April(I think) 2015 - Clinton is officially being investigated

Also April - the person at the E-mail management company deletes them like they said they did in December.

Now, if you want to argue that they only did so because Clinton told them or some other conspiracy theory - fine, whatever, but we have no actual evidence of that. But Clinton had no reason to tell them to delete them, because her understanding was that they were already gone forever.

edit: If I had a document to shred to an intern and they don't shred it, I wouldn't be expected to remind them to not shred the document later. That's aggressively stupid.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

theflyingorc posted:

OK, you're not getting it, so:

December 2014 - Clinton sorted her E-mail into a "work" and "not work" pile (actually, her staff did). All the "work" e-mails were sent to the state department to be archived.

Immediately after that within a few days: Clinton's people informed the company who managed her E-mail account to delete any and all E-mails they had.

April(I think) 2015 - Clinton is officially being investigated

Also April - the person at the E-mail management company deletes them like they said they did in December.

Now, if you want to argue that they only did so because Clinton told them or some other conspiracy theory - fine, whatever, but we have no actual evidence of that. But Clinton had no reason to tell them to delete them, because her understanding was that they were already gone forever.

edit: If I had a document to shred to an intern and they don't shred it, I wouldn't be expected to remind them to not shred the document later. That's aggressively stupid.

It also makes your employees hate you because it looks like you don't trust them.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

A) Intent doesn't matter.

Lack of intent is why she wasn't indicted, so um. Try again?

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
The only time "Intent Doesn't Matter" is with GROSS negligence.

Like the dude who threw classified documents in a dumpster to avoid doing paperwork. That's the kind of level you have to reach.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Pharohman777 posted:

I think Hillary's emails really hurt her image after all the information that came out, like how she said there was no classified info on the server, and then oops, there was classified info on the server after all.

Then there was the discussion over the fact that the server was never supposed to exist in the first place and never handle classified materiel, and that 30,000 emails were deleted off of it.

Sure no charges were brought against her, but she should have never done that in the first place, and her actions during the scandal and her secrecy made anyone who was iffy about voting for hillary even less inclined to vote for her.

Contrary to popular opinion, I don't think the emails hurt her as much as her ties to Wall Street. After all, the main reason she lost the election was that many Rust Belt Dems flipped and voted for Trump. And they did so not because of the email scandal, but because they got the sense that she was in bed with the financial class and had promised them many things and didn't actually give a poo poo about the working class.

What's sad is that she could have nipped all those criticisms in the bud at the beginning by just releasing the transcripts. The fact that she held her ground was breathtakingly idiotic, and her biggest misstep throughout her entire campaign.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

enraged_camel posted:

Contrary to popular opinion, I don't think the emails hurt her as much as her ties to Wall Street. After all, the main reason she lost the election was that many Rust Belt Dems flipped and voted for Trump. And they did so not because of the email scandal, but because they got the sense that she was in bed with the financial class and had promised them many things and didn't actually give a poo poo about the working class.

What's sad is that she could have nipped all those criticisms in the bud at the beginning by just releasing the transcripts. The fact that she held her ground was breathtakingly idiotic, and her biggest misstep throughout her entire campaign.

Honestly the media did well burying the fact that the goldman sachs transcripts got leaked but it didn't help. The leaks never showed anything illegal, but they did show a lot of impropriety.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Panzeh posted:

Honestly the media did well burying the fact that the goldman sachs transcripts got leaked but it didn't help. The leaks never showed anything illegal, but they did show a lot of impropriety.

SA should really decide whether the "mainstream media" stabbed Clinton in the back by overemphasizing the emails, or tried to bury them due to their fanatical support of Clinton. I have heard it both ways.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Panzeh posted:

A leak is not the same thing as her publishing them herself on her official website and "coming clean" though. It would have re-earned her a lot of the trust she had lost up to that point by being generally secretive.

And of course the reason she didn't do it is clear: she was overconfident, and calculated (incorrectly) that she was going to win the election easily, and didn't want a bunch of leaked transcripts to be held against her during presidency. It's yet another example of how she, unlike her husband, doesn't "get it."

Slow News Day fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Dec 2, 2016

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

SA should really decide whether the "mainstream media" stabbed Clinton in the back by overemphasizing the emails, or tried to bury them due to their fanatical support of Clinton. I have heard it both ways.

Sort of depends on whether you're talking about broadcast news, cable news, reporters versus pundits, various reporters vs. various pundits, etc.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

The mainstream media (remember that Donald Trump got no major newspaper endorsements) was clearly and overwhelmingly in Clinton's court overall, despite what some people might say. But when it came down to it the emails were a juicy political scandal that you couldn't not report on, especially considering how the Republicans kicked up such a fuss over it and that Clinton was literally under federal investigation for the issue while campaigning, and that the director of the FBI brought the issue back up in the last few days of the campaign.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Apparently even the people who were at the heart of the election can't agree on what happened.

quote:

A Harvard panel that traditionally writes the first draft of presidential campaign history devolved into a shouting match between Trump and Clinton aides on Thursday in a raw, emotional display echoing the divisive campaign.

Jennifer Palmieri, who was Hillary Clinton's communications director, zeroed in on Steve Bannon, the incoming chief strategist for President-elect Donald Trump who once ran the web site Breitbart.

"If providing a platform for white supremacists makes me a brilliant tactician, I am proud to have lost," said Palmieri, one of six Clinton aides who sat across tables from top Trump campaign staff at a forum moderated by three journalists, NBC News' Andrea Mitchell among them. "I would rather lose than win the way you guys did."

Kellyanne Conway, who managed Trump's campaign, was visibly angry and indignantly interrupted. "Do you think I ran a campaign where white supremacists had a platform?"

"You did, Kellyanne. You did," Palmieri said, as other Clinton aides chimed in in the affirmative.
With only two microphones allowed to be open at any given time, the shouting match was so heated it became difficult to follow.

"Do you think you could have just had a decent message for white, working-class voters? How about, it's Hillary Clinton, she doesn't connect with people? How about, they have nothing in common with her? How about, she doesn't have an economic message?" Conway said.

"There were dog whistles," said Clinton strategist Joel Benenson at one point.

Said Conway: "Guys, I can tell you are angry, but wow. Hashtag he's your president...will you ever accept the election results? Will you tell your protesters that he's their president, too?

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
Because poor and middle class whites have so much in common with Donald "1 million dollars is a small loan" Trump.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Khisanth Magus posted:

Because poor and middle class whites have so much in common with Donald "1 million dollars is a small loan" Trump.

You're forgetting that he spent a decade being a reality TV star.It's not about actually having something common, it's feeling that you do.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Lmao at the Clinton campaign staff trying to minimise their complete failure by arguing that at least they didn't play the white supremacist card.

"I'd rather lose than play up to white supremacist."

Yes, those were the only two options

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

enraged_camel posted:

A leak is not the same thing as her publishing them herself on her official website and "coming clean" though. It would have re-earned her a lot of the trust she had lost up to that point by being generally secretive.
Sure, it would make her seem more honest about being entirely in the bag for big banks.

MiddleOne posted:

You're forgetting that he spent a decade being a reality TV star.It's not about actually having something common, it's feeling that you do.
Plus, like someone pointed out earlier/in another thread:

This is not the kind of thing a real member of the elite would take part in. He might not have that much in common with the common man, but his persona is clearly one that doesn't have much in common with the kind of elites people were rebelling against either.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

shrike82 posted:

Lmao at the Clinton campaign staff trying to minimise their complete failure by arguing that at least they didn't play the white supremacist card.

I wonder to what extent Conway is just full of poo poo versus actually thinking she didn't give white supremacists a platform? In light of some of the stuff that's come out since the election (e.g. they didn't know they had to, uhhhhhhhhhhhh, hire people into the loving White House wtf) it's possible / likely they're just that dumb while also being evil.

Strangely the prospect of them being dumb and evil as opposed to just evil, doesn't affect my dread of what's coming either way :shrug:

A Buttery Pastry posted:

This is not the kind of thing a real member of the elite would take part in. He might not have that much in common with the common man, but his persona is clearly one that doesn't have much in common with the kind of elites people were rebelling against either.
It's a shame he's been desperately trying to become a part of that elite for his entire life though. Even now, he's not, not anymore than Obama is anyway. I don't know if that means he's eventually going to turn on them (really, really doubt it) but even if he does it will probably be bad news.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

shrike82 posted:

Remember there are people here who have honestly argued that to actively campaign on economic issues is to throw minorities under the bus.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
drat, I forgot Trump was on WWE, we really have hit a whole new low when it comes to the kind of cartoonish buffoons that we're willing to elect as our president.

I predict PewDiePie becomes president and runs the entire country from his Youtube channel sometime in the 2030's.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

Crowsbeak posted:

Remember there are people here who have honestly argued that to actively campaign on economic issues is to throw minorities under the bus.
Any policy that benefits a possibly kinda racist white worker who voted Trump in Michigan is not worth implementing, clearly.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Like I think Bannon and gang are evil but as a Democrat, I find the total inability of the HRC campaign to accept any responsibility for their comprehensive abortion of a strategy even more frustrating.

quote:

Neither side was quick to acknowledge errors — a silence that rung especially loud on the Clinton side of the room.

Her advisers steadfastly refused to admit any specific fault, as Clinton media strategist Mandy Grunwald noted multiple times that any one person's diagnosis of the ultimate problem was likely correct in a race so close.

But they didn’t hesitate to point to “headwinds” that disadvantaged Clinton — a phrase used so often that Lewandowski began scoffing at it as Mook repeated it.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Crowsbeak posted:

I think part of that is conflated with the specific way that Sanders originally campaigned*, in that he kept circling back to economic issues even when talking to minority groups.

*I acknowledge that he got significantly better at this

That is, if Trump was able to win over the Rust Belt by talking about bringing back jobs, and how Clinton lost those people by harping constantly on "TRUMP BAD" and identity politics, and how the next Democratic candidate needs to be able to talk to white, white-collar voters with a vision that the voters can see as something that directly benefits them, then talking about issues that matter to minorities is another facet of that.

If the former steel worker or miner ended up voting for Trump because Trump talked about America as a manufacturing powerhouse that will start digging for coal again, then it also stands to reason that the Missouri resident is also probably going to want their candidate to talk about preventing racial discrimination by the police.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

shrike82 posted:

Like I think Bannon and gang are evil but as a Democrat, I find the total inability of the HRC campaign to accept any responsibility for their comprehensive abortion of a strategy even more frustrating.
Any real analysis of their strategy inevitably leads to a frank discussion about Clinton Third Wayism and a platform totally devoid of real help for the majority of working Americans. Neoliberalism wrapped in superficial identity politics has been the Clinton/Obama plan for so long that they can't imagine anything else.

Lets not forget that many of them are normal people who care about others, and accepting responsibility for a failed campaign is to admit that they are at fault for the very real suffering that tens of millions of women, POC, LGBT, immigrants, etc are going to experience over the next four years. The lives of the people they felt they were protecting and championing are absolutely going to get worse, and that is a hard pill to swallow.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

cheese posted:

Lets not forget that many of them are normal people who care about others, and accepting responsibility for a failed campaign is to admit that they are at fault for the very real suffering that tens of millions of women, POC, LGBT, immigrants, etc are going to experience over the next four years. The lives of the people they felt they were protecting and championing are absolutely going to get worse, and that is a hard pill to swallow.

Maybe the fact that so many people are going to suffer should be a strong reason why anyone who still gives a poo poo needs to keep on hammering on them. Letting a gently caress-up of this degree pass by is only going to ensure it happens continually in the future (if there is a second chance).

To be honest, I don't think there should be any mercy (rhetorically speaking) for third-way politicians at this point, they are literally driving the much of the world into fascism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Too late, Fillon for France is the next stop on the neoliberal train to hell. Heck, Blair has been making noises in the UK so we can get some real old school Blairism.

• Locked thread