Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
This game is
This poll is closed.
Great! 180 32.61%
Awesome! 212 38.41%
Good! 160 28.99%
Total: 552 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

I love how the food in this game looks like the plastic food in front of Asian diners.

Giving me mad nostalgia for my Korea and Japan living days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde
What a great Final Fantasy, haven't had this much fun with a mainline game since 9 and 10.

I'm glad trying something different (not being garbage) is paying off for Square this time.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
is the day one code worth anything important mine arrived damaged and i cant read the code

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Phoix posted:

You can get pseudo-infinite sprint if you tap L3 right before you run out of stamina. You'll flash green and refill the bar.

What the gently caress? Does the game ever tell you this?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

Without the DLC everyone gets 1 extra, then there's a post-game one.

The DLC outfit apparently gives infinite sprint :argh:

Whoa whoa whoa. Which DLC outfit because gently caress the sprint mechanic.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Empress Brosephine posted:

is the day one code worth anything important mine arrived damaged and i cant read the code

If I'm interpretating what version you have right, it's just one weapon. Someone on the paper trail probably owes you some kind of reimbursement, though, if you care to chase it up. :v:

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Does this game vaguely remind anyone else of Deadly Premonition?

It might just be the driving around but I get slight vibes of that.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Barudak posted:

Whoa whoa whoa. Which DLC outfit because gently caress the sprint mechanic.

Royal outfit (no Jacket)

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Raxivace posted:

It looks about as ugly sometimes. That water, yeesh.

Besides that I can't think of too many similarities, aside from the fact that you occasionally have to refill your gas tank.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Raxivace posted:

It's hella DP. There's this slight awkwardness hanging over everything, like when Ignis writes down A NEW RECIPEY after eating something new.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Oxxidation posted:

Besides that I can't think of too many similarities, aside from the fact that you occasionally have to refill your gas tank.

It's a game that puts a way greater emphasis on the tiny and mundane than it does the theoretical supernatural the game is about. yeah, it has plenty of the latter, but the focus is clearly on the former.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Deadly premonition has the advantage of actually telling a complete story :smith:

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I am disappointed to hear there actually aren't a bunch of outfits in the game to get, though I am not super surprised either.

The stat changes seem pretty small, so I largely change the outfits to fit the situation. We rocked no jackets for most of Chapter 1 and 2, Chapter 3 I put everyone in their casual clothes with jackets for the rain, then we went back to default digs as we started Chapter 4.

Raxivace posted:

Actually yes, I was thinking precisely how both games make you earn your car and thus make an objectively clunky driving experience feel like a very rewarding expansion of your abilities. Deadly Prem does this by forcing you to walk 1000 meters on the road to the town at the start, FFXV makes you run around a desert and physically PUSH the car. This works very well in FFXV because the car is a relatively small expansion of your mobility (compared to the utility Chocobos will eventually bring) that if you'd just opened the game with it, you'd likely feel annoyed by its limitations, rather than excited by its capacity to move you along.

Rocking classic FF tunes as you drive around and check out the pretty scenery is great, and the game world and environment are well put together. It isn't as magnificently perfect as the Witcher 3's open world, but it's damned close and vastly superior to all other "open" areas the series had produced in the 13 era.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

AlphaKretin posted:

If I'm interpretating what version you have right, it's just one weapon. Someone on the paper trail probably owes you some kind of reimbursement, though, if you care to chase it up. :v:

its new egg os itll be a bitch to get any help :/

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Oxxidation posted:

The water looks good from some angles but from others the reflections of things are hosed up in a way that I don't understand. Also if you run past water around dusk and turn the camera a certain angle your character creates this giant white impression of himself on the water's surface and I have no idea what shader fuckery is going on to create that or what they were trying for. I really need to take a screenshot of it because it's bizarre.

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

Is there any point in the game where you're locked out of low level quests, or can you always go back and pick up a level 8 quest line and finish it out?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

black.lion posted:

Is there any point in the game where you're locked out of low level quests, or can you always go back and pick up a level 8 quest line and finish it out?

Apparently you're never locked out of quests.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I'm assuming there'll be a lot of DLC outfits, probably eventually including some kind of swimsuit package (for summer of next year?). The game's got a bit more replayability than XIII, but I'm not sure exactly how much.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
That loving Cactuar almost wiped my party, truly this is a Final Fantasy for Fans

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
What triggers Imperials coming out to attack you?

I was doing Dino's sidequest to find that jewel and I attacked by 5 waves in a row, with like 5 seconds between them. I couldn't even find the jewel, and then I got killed because a giant animal decided to join in and make everything hell.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Oh good, I'm glad I wasn't the only one! :)

Terper posted:

It's hella DP. There's this slight awkwardness hanging over everything, like when Ignis writes down A NEW RECIPEY after eating something new.
Yeah I think I know what you mean about that awkwardness. I'm not quite sure how to describe or talk about it, or why I find it appealing or charming in some games and not others.

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Actually yes, I was thinking precisely how both games make you earn your car and thus make an objectively clunky driving experience feel like a very rewarding expansion of your abilities. Deadly Prem does this by forcing you to walk 1000 meters on the road to the town at the start, FFXV makes you run around a desert and physically PUSH the car. This works very well in FFXV because the car is a relatively small expansion of your mobility (compared to the utility Chocobos will eventually bring) that if you'd just opened the game with it, you'd likely feel annoyed by its limitations, rather than excited by its capacity to move you along.

Rocking classic FF tunes as you drive around and check out the pretty scenery is great, and the game world and environment are well put together. It isn't as magnificently perfect as the Witcher 3's open world, but it's damned close and vastly superior to all other "open" areas the series had produced in the 13 era.
Ah that's a good point. I had forgotten about that part in Deadly Premonition but I totally see how it fulfills a similar function.

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

Is there any good consistent source of debased coins or rare coins? Or is it just finding them lying around?

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

seiferguy posted:

I was doing Dino's sidequest to find that jewel and I attacked by 5 waves in a row, with like 5 seconds between them. I couldn't even find the jewel, and then I got killed because a giant animal decided to join in and make everything hell.

It's really just that area that seems bugged.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

seiferguy posted:

The Imperial attacks are pretty bugged out and weird right now, I hope it gets patched soon.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Yodzilla posted:

What the gently caress? Does the game ever tell you this?

The sprint bar isn't even on by default so i doubt it.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Aphrodite posted:

The sprint bar isn't even on by default so i doubt it.

You don't even need the sprint bar, just press the button again when Noctis starts lifting his head.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
Finally got the game and I'm having a Good Time.

Btw super minor but is there any way to switch between metric and imperial for map markers? I just can't adjust to feet and miles

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
I think it should be pretty odvious that the reason a bunch of exciting threads never get explored is that square doesn't want to be stuck with the FF13/FF7 problem of wanting to make other games but being stuck with no where to set them and having to make a lot of really weird premises that people complain about.

If this game describes a really cool place or event but it doesn't happen on screen then expect that to be in the next game/DLC/spinoff anime so they don't have to make a game about the history of vincent's gun or about the time lightning's sister learned how to time travel to continue making media in this universe.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
I know certain items are used for weapon upgrades but did they give any indications which treasures should be sold and which should be held on to? Also are there any magic crafts that are super good or useful? I haven't really seen any buffing spells that give protect or haste or anything like that.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I think it should be pretty odvious that the reason a bunch of exciting threads never get explored is that square doesn't want to be stuck with the FF13/FF7 problem of wanting to make other games but being stuck with no where to set them and having to make a lot of really weird premises that people complain about.

If this game describes a really cool place or event but it doesn't happen on screen then expect that to be in the next game/DLC/spinoff anime so they don't have to make a game about the history of vincent's gun or about the time lightning's sister learned how to time travel to continue making media in this universe.

FF14 (which is also a good game)is full of this stuff being left wide open for expansions and content patches.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

I'm so pleased with the jump in difficulty compared to the easy mode in the last demo. The high level optional enemies in the starting region are actually super tough now and kick my rear end.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Nina posted:

I'm so pleased with the jump in difficulty compared to the easy mode in the last demo. The high level optional enemies in the starting region are actually super tough now and kick my rear end.

I walked out of the first dungeon and got OHKO'd by some level 24 beast. In daytime!

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Have you heard the Good News?
I'm tooling around now in Chapter 3.

Chapters 1 and 2 felt largely empty to me, although I liked the tombs I got to explore and the concept of dungeons and such; I've been trying to do all the exploring and questing I can before moving on to what I predict will be a storyline-advancing trigger quest (I made the mistake of thinking that Dino putting you on a ferry would move you to a new area, so I did a lot of bombing around at the very beginning). As a result I'm probably vastly overleveled for the beginning of Chapter 3 proper at level 24, but it's still really fun to take on Hunts that are red-icon bastards likely higher level than you are. Technique choices are also very meaningful - Ignis has an enchant-your-weapon-with-their-weakness Tech that is incredibly useful, but it means sacrificing his Regroup tech, which saves you gil on restorative items. (I have like 60k gil but it's beside the point.) I'm 15/30 stars toward Hunter Rank 4 now, having gone back and done the stuff I couldn't do in Galdin Quay, Hammerhead, and... the L place, I forgot its name, with the motel. Consequently I also have a colossal amount of powerful reagents and healing items, which I mostly use toward Elemancy, which I loving love. This is maybe my favorite spell system yet implemented in an FF game. Quintcast Fira x4? Poisoncast Thunder? Spells feel amazing in this game. It's great. They're also way too powerful; if you know an enemy's weak element, magic trivializes even higher-leveled Hunts. Quadcast Fire will destroy an entire group of level 25+ Hunt targets in one, maaaaybe two uses, and it is incredibly easy to create.

The game gives off dueling vibes of design-by-committee and being a game that just feels unfinished. Things that are elegant in other games are clunky and weird in this one, like the menu bloat under "Options." (Why do we need separate drop-downs to decide if we want to see the HUD, the stamina bar, turn on Wait mode, or change the difficulty? Can't those all be grouped together in some fashion???) The actual party menu is horrible. Pretty to look at, but unwieldy and strange; why can't I tell what the new levels of the party's skills even do? I guess it's cool that now Noctis has Lure Allure I. Sounds good! (?)

The Ascension/Sphere Grid/Crystarium thing is actually kinda nice in how minimalist it is. I'm glad I'm not paying for poo poo like +2 strength eighty million times - I just buy one strength upgrade until I can buy a better one and it is summarily very expensive to do that. That's my ideal; I'd rather just save up points and buy one meaningful upgrade then get points very frequently and buy a thousand lovely upgrades that cumulatively create one meaningful one. The Ascension stuff is actually also nice in that it levels up with you. "Level*(number)=stat bonus" is a good way to make it feel like I'm not going to have to invest in "bad" stat upgrades later just to get to the good ones. I dig it.

The environment in Chapter 3 is where I'm starting to get serious Xenoblade Chronicles vibes. It's much more alive with flora and fauna, and the area surrounding the first outpost is just much more interesting than Leide was in Chapter 1 and 2. Seeing the enormous beasts in the lake - catoblepas I think, if the Hunt poster is any indication - is pretty great, and the graphical fidelity kinda blows my mind here and there. FFXV is clunky and weird in a lot of parts, but it can also straight up drop your jaw. It's the first FF I've played fresh in a while where I feel genuinely excited to just go do stuff.

Combat remains great, love the Airstep/Airstride stuff, and now that I'm fighting bigger, bulkier monsters, it's coming in extremely handy. With the sword equipped, you can warp-strike in, do a short Blitz combo, hold away+attack and do like a double backflip that sends Noct airborne, then Blitz back in, airstep to dodge an incoming attack, Blitz in again, airstep again, Blitz in again... -- it feels very stylish and fun and focuses on anime-style aerial battles in a way that actually makes sense within the context of the game, which is much, much better than I can say for FFXIII's break system. gently caress that game.

Noctis is rapidly becoming one of my favorite FF protagonists, and the dub voice acting work is actually pretty good. Ignis is a little over the top - it sounds like someone trying to do an impression of Balthier from XII, only they aren't very good at it yet - but I actually like him the best. Prompto felt underwhelming until I had a heart-to-heart with him on the roof of the motel. Gladiolus has kinda fallen from my favor a little - he seems to be the most boring companion - but he still doesn't annoy me in the way that prior FFs always have That One Party Member that seems designed to be hated.

If the game takes off even further from Chapter 3, I can see it being a genuinely wonderful experience.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Just curious: Has Squenix even mentioned in the tiniest way that they are aware/looking into the frame-pacing on PS4 Pro?

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Do you ever get to drive the car yourself?

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Have you heard the Good News?

Huzanko posted:

Yes. You can always do it at night; Ignis will actively refuse to do so and also encourages you not to drive, but you can blow him off. At the beginning of Chapter 3, he also basically hands you the keys and tells you that you can drive yourself at will now, even during daylight hours. That said, because driving the car yourself amounts to "hold R2 and occasionally tap a direction on your analog stick" and "change the radio" (and you can change the radio from the backseat anyway!), it's usually a better idea to just let Iggy handle the driving.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Huzanko posted:

Chapter 3

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

emdash posted:

I walked out of the first dungeon and got OHKO'd by some level 24 beast. In daytime!

The Garula, right? I beat it before entering the dungeon, but it was a close call.

Then I got ambushed by a level 34 Coeurl on my way out and went "fuuuuck that"

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Oxxidation posted:

The Garula, right? I beat it before entering the dungeon, but it was a close call.

Then I got ambushed by a level 34 Coeurl on my way out and went "fuuuuck that"

oh maybe it was 34. Definitely the Coeurl

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

I love how just the first region has so much optional high level stuff that's obviously your cue to revisit later but you can still run right into it if you want and get instantly killed.

• Locked thread