Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

windex posted:

I concur this is a good option but if you can splurge and want something 50mm like, the 80D at $1099 and EF 35mm f/2 IS USM at $550 is a nice option if you like the 50mm field of view and the 35mm f/2 IS USM is a great lens for APS-C or FF bodies (e.g. you will keep it for as long as Canon supports the EF mount). The nifty fifty is a little telephoto-esque on APS-C.

Depends on what you shoot?

But the 17-50 will shoot 35mm at f/2.8 as well as giving you a wide option and a little bit of tele.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Helen Highwater posted:

But the 17-50 will shoot 35mm at f/2.8 as well as giving you a wide option and a little bit of tele.

but it's a sigma. so it probably won't auto-focus for poo poo.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

I've gone through 3 sigma lenses and they all had inconsistent auto-focus. The optics were wonderful but if you're missing focus more than half the time it's no fun.

My favorite cheap Canon lens for APS-C has to be the EF-S 24mm f/2.8 pancake. The auto focus works, it's reasonably fast, sharp, and easy to carry around.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

akadajet posted:

I've gone through 3 sigma lenses and they all had inconsistent auto-focus. The optics were wonderful but if you're missing focus more than half the time it's no fun.

My favorite cheap Canon lens for APS-C has to be the EF-S 24mm f/2.8 pancake. The auto focus works, it's reasonably fast, sharp, and easy to carry around.

plus it's ~35mm equiv (the best focal length) and those cunts at nikon haven't made a cheap aps-c 35mm equiv

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Lutha Mahtin posted:

Anyone else read this and see less a technology problem, and more a potential for hurt feelings? It sounds like everyone here means well, but is she really asking someone who "doesn't care" about photography to lug around an extra device while they're learning how to be a mom, just so grandma can get photos in her nerd file format? :pwn:

The daughter was the one asking her mom (the photographer) for suggestions, who then in turn asked me and some others on a facebook photography group, so she (the daughter) is wanting and willing to carry around something extra. It's not that unusual to all of the sudden want a better camera even if you are not into photography when you have a kid - I have several friends who asked me for suggestions when they were expecting or shortly after their kids were born, and although I was into shooting film before having my daughter, that was when I got my first "nice" digital camera since I wanted to take nice photos of my kid. Although for me it ended up different since that is what got me into photography in a big way and not just wanting to take kid photos like I had initially expected.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

yeah i figured it might be something like that, your first post was just kinda vague on it :)

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

My wife and I have been talking about getting a DSLR for a while and decided to buy the T6i black friday bundle from Best Buy. I read through this thread and have skimmed a few others and am 1/2 way through Understanding Exposure.

As per the thread I bought a cheap 50mm and have been taking lots of pictures to try to get a feel for what lens/setting does what as all I've ever used is a point and shoot and mostly cell phone photos for the last few years.

I've taken probably 2000 pictures just messing around. I'm so used to taking 5 of everything to try to get decent focus on my phone camera that I'm taking way too many shots of the same thing.

For fun and goon shaming I uploaded some lowlights of my first week.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/curbjumpinss/albums/72157677275561845

Does this mean I have to learn photoshop?

Does my shutter have a life expectancy and is there any maintenance I need to do besides cleaning the lenses?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

One easy tip to instantly improving your photos by a few degrees is to turn on the little marker in your viewfinder that tells you whether your Horizon is straight or not. Check it before taking every photo.

Swapping lenses means you'll eventually pick up dust particles on the sensor, so if you start seeing speckles on your images you might want to learn how to clean that yourself. Dust on the far end of your lens is unlikely to ever show up on images, so don't worry too much about constantly cleaning that end.

windex
Aug 2, 2006

One thing living in Japan does is cement the fact that ignoring the opinions of others is a perfectly valid life strategy.

EL BROMANCE posted:

horizon indicators

Lol, in most places outside of the US and Canada there are no straight lines in structures and even internal walls or comparing one building to the next is pitched off center from "level", so the horizon indicator is useless.

Ideally, learn to find the lines in your frame that stand out the most and use the viewfinder frame lines to keep aligned to them (it's usually the lines in the center of the frame or the ones on the far edges, depending on which have more contrast).

Or do the bokeh whore thing where you just shoot so wide open you can't even see the background in every shot.

edit; vvv yes, the horizon indicator is useless because nothing is level.

windex fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Dec 1, 2016

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

You seem to be talking about the various overlays that put straight lines in the viewfinder, not the horizon indicator.

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

Apparently that's a T6s feature :(

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

How mean of them. It feels like sometimes they keep the simplest of things for the higher end models.

You can fix it easily enough in post using Lightroom and similar at least, you just lose a bit of resolution due to rotation.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

windex posted:

Lol, in most places outside of the US and Canada there are no straight lines in structures and even internal walls or comparing one building to the next is pitched off center from "level", so the horizon indicator is useless.

Ideally, learn to find the lines in your frame that stand out the most and use the viewfinder frame lines to keep aligned to them (it's usually the lines in the center of the frame or the ones on the far edges, depending on which have more contrast).

Or do the bokeh whore thing where you just shoot so wide open you can't even see the background in every shot.

It doesn't matter - still shoot level.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

windex posted:

But the camera can be level, and that's what the horizon indicator is indicating.

windex
Aug 2, 2006

One thing living in Japan does is cement the fact that ignoring the opinions of others is a perfectly valid life strategy.
Sorry I forgot the computer does all the things right and learning composition is bad?

What the gently caress. If you are going to fix the lines up in post anyway shoot it right the first time, don't instruct people to shoot level unless the contents of the frame are (hint: they almost never are, unless as noted you are shooting architecture in the US and Canada, with some notable exceptions).

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Jesus Christ. Look at his example photos and you can see there's several there where you can see the damned Horizon in them which isn't straight. An on camera tool would've fixed that, or do you think they're included for a joke and that people spend the time aligning their cameras for the sheer gently caress of it? At the very least it'll put you in a good starting place.

Last I checked I don't come from the US and we didn't complain about our entire world being crooked either.

There's a good reason your attitude has gotten you run out of other threads in this forum.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

windex posted:

Sorry I forgot the computer does all the things right and learning composition is bad?

What the gently caress. If you are going to fix the lines up in post anyway shoot it right the first time, don't instruct people to shoot level unless the contents of the frame are (hint: they almost never are, unless as noted you are shooting architecture in the US and Canada, with some notable exceptions).

Maybe don't instruct people to not shoot level then. Do you see people walking around with their heads tilted when looking at something that isn't level? Perhaps let's tilt the camera when shooting a hill? Using the in camera level as a starting point will be a good place to start in terms of advice for a beginner who just posted shots that were all tilted and asked for advice.

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

I fixed what I could sorry to start a derail.

windex
Aug 2, 2006

my turn in the barrel posted:

I fixed what I could sorry to start a derail.

Not your problem, we just have varying ideals on what bad advice is. :)

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

I appreciate the feedback because it's something I don't really pay attention to when framing. I'll try turning the grids on in my VF so I remember to verify it.

The one with the crazy horizon was because I was focusing on the grass being level and ignored the horizon completely.

I got a lens pen and a Rocket air blaster on order from amazon. They were running some Cyber monday deal where if you order a camera accessory you got 50 5x7 prints with free shipping for prime members so I figured I'd grab them.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.

windex posted:

Not your problem, we just have varying ideals on what bad advice is. :)

i think it's pretty much unanimously agreed upon here what bad advice is homeslice

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
in fact who cares about straight horizons, just tilt that poo poo and d u t c h a n g l e your way to a pulitzer

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

Speaking of dutch angles, I took this last weekend

windex
Aug 2, 2006

This was the most eye catchy line to me, because of the contrast with the curtain and the proximity to the center of the frame:

It's also the line that flattens out the top of the car. It's a lot closer to correct than you think it is. :)

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin

]

Does this mean I have to learn photoshop?

You will probably have more fun with Lightroom. It has all the important functions and it also organizes your photos.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

What's the best (or least-bad) free program for working with my RAW files? I've been using one called RawTherapee. It's worked fine for me, but I also only have small knowledge of a few ideas like saturation and contrast, so even the basic editing panel has many more sliders than I understand.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Lutha Mahtin posted:

What's the best (or least-bad) free program for working with my RAW files? I've been using one called RawTherapee. It's worked fine for me, but I also only have small knowledge of a few ideas like saturation and contrast, so even the basic editing panel has many more sliders than I understand.

If you can't spare the 10 bux a month for lightroom and photoshop then just shoot jpeg.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Get Lightroom now, you'll get it someday anyways and kick yourself for not doing it sooner.

Even if you eBay an ancient copy of lr3/4, get Lightroom.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Thanks for the replies. I should clarify that I'm fine with buying something, even if I'd prefer free. However, I can't justify going for software that rents for $120 per year, for what is a very very casual part-time hobby of mine. And yes, I'm aware you can go monthly and there are free trials and sales and whatnot, so no need to start a derail about Adobe licensing.

I will look into buying an old boxed version, but if anyone has suggestions for other apps, I'd appreciate that too. Also, I'm using Windows.

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

windex posted:

This was the most eye catchy line to me, because of the contrast with the curtain and the proximity to the center of the frame:

It's also the line that flattens out the top of the car. It's a lot closer to correct than you think it is. :)

In the 1966 movie each villain is shot with their own dutch angle.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Windex you're terminally loving stupid and completely incapable of understanding any subtlety in a point.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Oh poo poo this minor informative indicator is telling me I'm not level so I must be composing wrong because I'm a moron who can't accept multiple streams of information at once to help me choose my composition

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR
Maybe after they develop the technology to prevent you from taking pictures that aren't level they can use it to prevent windex from posting.

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy
Windex I thought you don't even use a viewfinder? You should start posting more pics than words because your words are loving dumb. People in this thread would do well to ignore him if you don't want a crippling handicap when starting out with photography.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

windex posted:

Lol, straight lines in structures in the US and Canada.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

Lutha Mahtin posted:

Thanks for the replies. I should clarify that I'm fine with buying something, even if I'd prefer free. However, I can't justify going for software that rents for $120 per year, for what is a very very casual part-time hobby of mine. And yes, I'm aware you can go monthly and there are free trials and sales and whatnot, so no need to start a derail about Adobe licensing.

I will look into buying an old boxed version, but if anyone has suggestions for other apps, I'd appreciate that too. Also, I'm using Windows.

If you care enough about photography that you shoot in RAW and you post to a photography forum, then just get Lightroom. There's also the chance that not using some lovely freeware hack will encourage you to take more photos too.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

MrBlandAverage posted:

Maybe after they develop the technology to prevent you from taking pictures they can use it

ftfy

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Post-AV combo is good.

And the picture is good, too.

Lutha Mahtin posted:

This is going to provoke howls of laughter, but Corel Aftershot is an alternative to Lightroom and the Adobe Subscription Business Model. It's also considerably cheaper than $120 and you buy it outright rather than subscribe. I bought the previous version (2.0, current is 3.0) about 2 years ago because it came bundled with Corel's video-editor. I've played around with Aftershot for like 2 hours total, a long time ago, so I can't tell you much about it except it's similar (but not the same) in basic layout and workflow options as Lightroom version 3, which is what I'm still using most of the time. Presumably there are tradeoffs in features between Corel and Adobe, things like noise reduction or cloning out dust / hair / ugly people presumably work differently and therefore might be better in one or the other.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Lutha Mahtin posted:

However, I can't justify going for software that rents for $120 per year, for what is a very very casual part-time hobby of mine.

:rolleyes: if it's very very casual then whatever just shoot jpegs and be done with it. if you care at all about what you're doing you can afford 120 a year for quality software.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy
If only there was a way to try and or possess full versions of software for free. Ah well, one can only dream.

• Locked thread