Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Grouchio posted:

I hope that Putin will be cautious in dealing with Trump, for both Russia and the US' sake.
Lowered Sense of Danger Man vs. The Offense Avenger

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Trump will just use the position to build his brand, Pence will do all the actual presidenting.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Young Freud posted:

The hilarious thing was recently they thought some Swedish :spergin: college student who went off her meds and ended up panhandling in Rome was a grown up ARE MADDY, which tells you that it's still one of those tabloid tropes that hanging around.
I don't get this obsession over one lost kid. There were no other similar cases since then or what?

And now for something completely different: This is a relatively minor thing when compared to other stuff, but court in Slovak Republic released certain 'businessmen' (read mobsters) from charges of bribery, because of lack of evidence. But the person that received bribery from them is still in prison, because other senate concluded that the crime happened. Absurd EE justice in a nutshell, I guess.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Another ISS supply mission failure.

I sure am glad putin is spending money on dumb instead of his space thing

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Anyone can confirm recent russian boasts about their massive wheat production? Their TV says sanctions were the best thing ever, now their agriculture is totally self-sufficient and exporting.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Donbass got converted to farmlands now? :v:

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Truga posted:

Donbass got converted to farmlands now? :v:

No but they annexed Crimea.

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009

alex314 posted:

Anyone can confirm recent russian boasts about their massive wheat production? Their TV says sanctions were the best thing ever, now their agriculture is totally self-sufficient and exporting.
I can't comment on the last part but the large wheat crop claim is true according to the UN.

quote:

While low international prices are expected to encourage larger imports by several countries, the Russian Federation is envisaged to emerge as the world’s biggest wheat exporter in 2016/17.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Sandweed posted:

Trump will just use the position to build his brand, Pence will do all the actual presidenting.

... whenever someone hasn't pissed Trump off enough to make him devote all of the resources of the most powerful nation on Earth to squashing them like a bug.

Foreign policy is going to get... interesting.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

AceRimmer posted:

I can't comment on the last part but the large wheat crop claim is true according to the UN.

It appears to be based on Russia-reported numbers, so I'm not sure how meaningful that is.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Discendo Vox posted:

It appears to be based on Russia-reported numbers, so I'm not sure how meaningful that is.

I'm finding this hard to believe considering Russia got hit by the one of the largest locusts swarms ever recorded not too long ago.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Back Hack posted:

I'm finding this hard to believe considering Russia got hit by the one of the largest locusts swarms ever recorded not too long ago.
Because they had soooo much grain, just the most.

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009
There's also a record crop in the Ukraine and Kazakhstan though. :confused:

Here's the Financial Times piece.

Don't worry, Russia is still bad at these things.

quote:

On top of strong output growth around the world, a lack of good quality storage in Russia will mean that this year’s competition on the wheat market will be especially fierce. With storage limited in the face of a record crop, Russian farmers and grain handlers will turn to overseas markets, leading to heavy exports especially in the months immediately after the harvest, says Arthur Marshall, analyst at AHDB Market Intelligence. “The scale of Russian wheat exports may be particularly large in the first part of this season,” he says.

The future performance of Russian exports relies mainly on the weather, as well as currency fluctuations. Farmers and exporters have also been lobbying for the lifting of an export tax, designed to prevent a shortage on the domestic market as traders sought foreign currency amid the sharp fall in the rouble by selling grain.

With so much grain produced in the country this year and heightened competition on the international markets, the duty puts Russia at a disadvantage, say analysts.

“If the government continues to limit wheat exports, the crop production is likely to stagnate or decline medium term,” warns Mr Sizov.

AceRimmer fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Dec 1, 2016

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Russia is taking over a lot of the grain and certain areas of Eastern Europe. And I said you take away their wheat, that you go and knock the hell out of the grain, take back the grain. We take over the grain, which we should have done in the first place.

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Russia is taking over a lot of the grain and certain areas of Eastern Europe. And I said you take away their wheat, that you go and knock the hell out of the grain, take back the grain. We take over the grain, which we should have done in the first place.
Low energy American grain production this year! :sad:

quote:

The issue for US wheat this year is its quality, as the cool and wet temperatures have increased yields but protein levels, key for some types of wheat flour, have fallen, according to analysts.

“There is plenty of supply of low protein stuff,” says Ms Reynolds.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Plenty of grain for Russian rat burgers served in upscale Moscow restaurants.

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009
Saddest aspect of the nutria thing is that it's just a recycled foodie trend that was a thing in the US 10 years ago afaik

edit: guess it's still a thing
Invasive Species Cookbook entry

AceRimmer fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Dec 1, 2016

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
What is this grain you speak of, is it some newfangled tuber?

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009
"Waste perfectly good potato to try catch rat?" :belarus:

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

I would guess that Russia is becoming agriculturally self-sustaining because food prices went up, so people can afford less food or only cheaper food - eat less, import less.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
In general it would be most indicative to see if Russia has increased its productivity, or employed more people in agriculture. The latter would hardly be a sign of economic renaissance.

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011
The UN/FAO is not fronting Russian claims. If you actually read the release firstly it notes that production and stocks have been increasing year on year. It also notes other factors such as more favorable weather. The whole release contains negative and positive statements about several different countries and its nothing more than a technical summary. If you really want to read more then knock yourselves out: http://www.fao.org/faostat/en/#home (also available in Russian http://www.fao.org/faostat/ru/#home :tinfoil:)

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Ghost of Mussolini posted:

The UN/FAO is not fronting Russian claims. If you actually read the release firstly it notes that production and stocks have been increasing year on year. It also notes other factors such as more favorable weather. The whole release contains negative and positive statements about several different countries and its nothing more than a technical summary. If you really want to read more then knock yourselves out: http://www.fao.org/faostat/en/#home (also available in Russian http://www.fao.org/faostat/ru/#home :tinfoil:)

I read the release. It doesn't state its sources and appears to be taking the reports of member countries for its calculations. The dataset is actually just a copy of the figures from the release.

edit: reading through their Programme of Research appears to confirm, at page 47, that their primary method of collecting ag commodity information is to ask the country government- in Russia's case, probably by electronic questionnaire or contacting the relevant statistical office, which is going to be a government entity.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Dec 2, 2016

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009
Welp, the ultimate proof will be the actual exports in 2017 I guess? :shrug: Can't fake those.

edit: Hybrid grain warfare
edit2: meant to say 2017

AceRimmer fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Dec 2, 2016

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Ghost of Mussolini posted:

Global warming is rewarding Russia for helping to spread its harbingers from their underground prisons.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Jokes on you Russkies I'm allergic to wheat? Gimme that good rice Japan!

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Grouchio posted:

Jokes on you Russkies I'm allergic to wheat? Gimme that good rice Japan!

Russia is also one of the largest producers of buckwheat(which is gluten free). You can not escape Slav grain. Slav grain is life.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Buckwheat owns. It probably is my favourite grain to cook when I want something mildly greasy done relatively quickly. Boil the buckwheat, then sear it, and serve with sour cream and salt. :yum:

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Sounds bad Todd.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

steinrokkan posted:

Sounds bad Todd.
It's nice on it's own, and goes really well with any cooked meat.

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011

Discendo Vox posted:

I read the release. It doesn't state its sources and appears to be taking the reports of member countries for its calculations. The dataset is actually just a copy of the figures from the release.

edit: reading through their Programme of Research appears to confirm, at page 47, that their primary method of collecting ag commodity information is to ask the country government- in Russia's case, probably by electronic questionnaire or contacting the relevant statistical office, which is going to be a government entity.

Of course they are relying on data sharing with Russian state technical agencies and not sending consultants to collect the data themselves. If you'd rather you can read about it from the Americans (https://www.fas.usda.gov/regions/russia) particularly the bi-weekly report from Nov 17, you are free to do so.

I have family in Eastern Europe who's media is constantly bombarded by thinly disguised Russian state/parastate propaganda means. I understand that there is a high degree of specticism but I don't think they're lying about their grain harvest of all things. It's not 1930 and the collapse of their agricultural sector in the 90s and the troubles it was to unfuck the whole thing was quite transparent. Russia is in a poo poo position for a lot things but agriculture is not one of them right now, and it's hard to lie about because it's an outward facing sector that brings in money.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
I currently live in Moscow, and from what I have seen bread prices are still dirt cheap, the export tax if anything keeps bread prices artificially low. Pretty much all root vegetables are also pretty cheap as well. If Russia lifted an export tax, production may rise but at the cost of higher spending for consumers for their most basic staple.

Basically, if you want to have a basic Russian diet prices haven't changed much if you want foreign goods, prices have increased substantially. Also, beef is quite expensive while chicken and pork is pretty reasonable.

Looking at the export data and prices for bread/grain in Russia, it sounds believable. One thing is export data is very difficult to falsify because there are other countries receiving those goods, it would be easy to check to see if that grain never arrived.

Also, I think buckwheat is pretty good with just a bit of salt and seasoning, it has a surprising filling quality to it you wouldn't expect (maybe do to the fact it is both high in carbohydrates and protein).

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Buckwheat owns. It probably is my favourite grain to cook when I want something mildly greasy done relatively quickly. Boil the buckwheat, then sear it, and serve with sour cream and salt. :yum:

I can confirm that Гречка does in fact own bones and I am now surprised that it hasn't become a huge hit with the poor-as-poo poo uni student crowd in the West. Just as cheap as noodles but with actual nutrition to the calories!

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Xerxes17 posted:

I can confirm that Гречка does in fact own bones and I am now surprised that it hasn't become a huge hit with the poor-as-poo poo uni student crowd in the West. Just as cheap as noodles but with actual nutrition to the calories!
Rice is cheaper, and more common. I haven't seen almost any buckwheat west of Latvia, excluding Slav food stores in western Europe.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Rice is cheaper, and more common. I haven't seen almost any buckwheat west of Latvia, excluding Slav food stores in western Europe.

Yeah, slav chow shops here in Germany are full of buckwheat, prepared in every way imaginable. It's a staple food for every proper Slav everywhere.

German shops sell it too, but you can only find it in the organic section of larger supermarkets. It's usually imported from the US(lmao at getting anything organic from Russia), expensive and unfried. I don't really like it cause it tastes too fresh and "natural". It also doesn't have a picture of a Soviet tractor on the packaging, so gently caress that. :colbert:

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

cinci zoo sniper posted:

At least in Portland Oregon it is slowly becoming more common, but so is a bunch of "weird" alternative foods. It is a much more complete grain than rice too, it is pretty fiber in fiber and it has enough protein you can go vegan off of it.

To be honest, most Eastern Europe food including Russian food, is not exactly exciting but serviceable especially for the winter. In the former Soviet Union, you also get more exposure of food from the Caucasus/Central Asia that breaks up the cuisine to some extent.

I wanted to mention food prices, I just check at a store and a loaf of bread was around 15 cents, the same for a kilo of potatoes and onions were around 20 cents for a kg. Milk was 50 cents a liter. Foreign goods including imported cheese was closer to Western prices.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Raspberry Jam It In Me posted:

Yeah, slav chow shops here in Germany are full of buckwheat, prepared in every way imaginable. It's a staple food for every proper Slav everywhere.

German shops sell it too, but you can only find it in the organic section of larger supermarkets. It's usually imported from the US(lmao at getting anything organic from Russia), expensive and unfried. I don't really like it cause it tastes too fresh and "natural". It also doesn't have a picture of a Soviet tractor on the packaging, so gently caress that. :colbert:
I'm not sure if I'm reading this correctly, but you are not supposed to eat uncooked buckwheat.

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

I am a bad slav apparently because I'm not a big fan of buckwheat on its own or as a side dish. I do like it in a nice kaszanka every once in a while though.

In Poland news, PiS is in the process of passing a law that will restrict public assembly for non government/non church marches or protests. The new law introduces a four stage hierarchy of importance in granting permissions to march and or protest. The most important and those that take precedence over all others are marches or protests or public meetings organized by the government or the Catholic church. Second in the hierarchy are so called circuitous assemblies/marches, i.e. those occurring regularly on fixed dates. Third are normal non government/church gatherings and fourth are spontaneous protests/gatherings. The new law also says that two groups cannot be given permission to march/gather in the same place at the same time. The old law was essentially first come first serve with everyone given equal rights and which allowed for multiple gatherings in the same place. How this new law will work is essentially this: Say you want to organize a gay pride parade. You go get your permits and declare the time and place you want to march well in advance. The day before the parade is supposed to take place the local church declares that they want to march in the same place and at the same time in a pro-traditional family march. The gay pride parade now has to be cancelled by law because the church march is 1st in the hierarchy whereas the gay rights is third and since they both want the same place and time the church gets it. Clever little authoritarians.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
I'm guessing it's Catholics only

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

Kurtofan posted:

I'm guessing it's Catholics only

There are no other religions (just ask PiS) in Poland dear Kurtofan. Of course its Catholics only.