Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Perestroika posted:

The decent parts of the books don't really translate to film

There's no way they'd ever capture the brilliance of the lute that said "sad".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
I read a lot of Japanese light novels and a lot of them were really horrible but I feel like talking about them would degenerate into just whining about how creepy and horrible the whole light novel market is in general so I don't think there's much point. Let's just leave it at there are a lot of really bad Japanese novels for teens out there and I'd take a Piers Anthony over 9/10ths of them any day.

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!
They're going big by having a companion TV series with the movie. Not sure why it took decades just to start producing Dark Tower with Stephen King's and Ron Howard's names attached, but this poo poo gets a whole franchise right off the bat. I'm sure it's gonna bomb hard, which won't be great for Lin-Manuel Miranda's rising star.

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

Getsuya posted:

I read a lot of Japanese light novels and a lot of them were really horrible but I feel like talking about them would degenerate into just whining about how creepy and horrible the whole light novel market is in general so I don't think there's much point. Let's just leave it at there are a lot of really bad Japanese novels for teens out there and I'd take a Piers Anthony over 9/10ths of them any day.

Oh my yes. If anyone wants a taste, here's a readthrough of the first couple volumes of "The Irregular at Magic High School", a series which is best described as Harry Potter crossed with a sentient fedora.

...And then there's netnovels, which are even worse.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Poor Miserable Gurgi posted:

They're going big by having a companion TV series with the movie. Not sure why it took decades just to start producing Dark Tower with Stephen King's and Ron Howard's names attached, but this poo poo gets a whole franchise right off the bat. I'm sure it's gonna bomb hard, which won't be great for Lin-Manuel Miranda's rising star.

Well, Game of Thrones showed there's a market for big, very adult, fantasy epics and this is just how long it's taken for people to start jumping on whatever's out there to make into movies. Dark Tower is the obvious choice, but it's not going to be the only one. Love it or hate it, Name of the Wind is popular, it's modern in a way Sword of Truth and Shanara aren't, and it's unfinished which means they get a built-in audience of book fans but still get to write whatever ending they want if it proves successful. But that t.v. spinoff just has the stench of failure all over it. You could see it as one series getting a whole franchise while another only gets a movie, or like one series over-confidently cashing in on too much crap while the other goes the conservative, more prestige route.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013

Anil Dasharez0ne posted:

Oh my yes. If anyone wants a taste, here's a readthrough of the first couple volumes of "The Irregular at Magic High School", a series which is best described as Harry Potter crossed with a sentient fedora.

...And then there's netnovels, which are even worse.

There is one really, really good netnovel I've read (it's actually one of my favorite series right now) but yeah the current flood of 'other world/vrmmo' netnovels that are getting published is mostly embarrassingly bad.

It's fine when they're free online but once they get published the bookstores are asking $10-ish for barely-edited nerd wish fulfillment of the worst possible kind.

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!

there wolf posted:

Well, Game of Thrones showed there's a market for big, very adult, fantasy epics and this is just how long it's taken for people to start jumping on whatever's out there to make into movies. Dark Tower is the obvious choice, but it's not going to be the only one. Love it or hate it, Name of the Wind is popular, it's modern in a way Sword of Truth and Shanara aren't, and it's unfinished which means they get a built-in audience of book fans but still get to write whatever ending they want if it proves successful. But that t.v. spinoff just has the stench of failure all over it. You could see it as one series getting a whole franchise while another only gets a movie, or like one series over-confidently cashing in on too much crap while the other goes the conservative, more prestige route.

I mean, you're right. Studios needed to see Game of Thrones' success to jump on the fantasy bandwagon. And Rothfuss's books are an obvious choice, since everyone is comparing them to Martin's. But the audacity of launching a multiplatform franchise off an unfinished trilogy is so loving dumb. I know Miranda is a giant nerd, but I expected better of him than to put money behind a guy who hasn't been able to finish three trashy fantasy books within a decade.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Poor Miserable Gurgi posted:

I mean, you're right. Studios needed to see Game of Thrones' success to jump on the fantasy bandwagon. And Rothfuss's books are an obvious choice, since everyone is comparing them to Martin's. But the audacity of launching a multiplatform franchise off an unfinished trilogy is so loving dumb. I know Miranda is a giant nerd, but I expected better of him than to put money behind a guy who hasn't been able to finish three trashy fantasy books within a decade.

Umm...Martin didn't finish his either, and I do that that's actually a selling point for franchising because it gives a lot more flexibility. I do agree with you that Rothfuss himself is the weak link here. Marin managed to put out books at a successively slower rate as he went along, but he was five-six door stoppers in before things started to really get slogged. Rothfuss was struggling at book two for something that was already supposed to be done. Who knows, maybe with a deadline and team of underling writers to he can throw plot points at he'll flourish, but my hopes aren't very high.

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!

there wolf posted:

Umm...Martin didn't finish his either, and I do that that's actually a selling point for franchising because it gives a lot more flexibility. I do agree with you that Rothfuss himself is the weak link here. Marin managed to put out books at a successively slower rate as he went along, but he was five-six door stoppers in before things started to really get slogged. Rothfuss was struggling at book two for something that was already supposed to be done. Who knows, maybe with a deadline and team of underling writers to he can throw plot points at he'll flourish, but my hopes aren't very high.

I'm aware, but you've kind of already made my point for me. Martin has gotten slower, but he was never fast and there was already years of material. Rothfuss's series is at most half the size, a much smaller scope, and he lied about it being done already. I'm sure being a producer on a movie and a show will help.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

DStecks posted:

Okay, so number one, there's going to be a Kvothe movie, and number two, never in a million goddamn years are you going to guess who they tapped to produce it.

This would have been surprising for me if I didn't already know he also did music for Star Wars of all things. He wrote the cantina song in Force Awakens. Guy is a huge nerd and I love him.

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

Getsuya posted:

Speaking as someone who both reads a lot of light novels and has read Piers Anthony, this is blatantly false.

It's 4/5ths at most.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Getsuya posted:

:justpost:

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Getsuya posted:

There is one really, really good netnovel I've read (it's actually one of my favorite series right now) but yeah the current flood of 'other world/vrmmo' netnovels that are getting published is mostly embarrassingly bad.

It's fine when they're free online but once they get published the bookstores are asking $10-ish for barely-edited nerd wish fulfillment of the worst possible kind.

Aren't they mostly (like, 99%) self-insert fiction? It seems that there's a general trend where a bland highschool protagonist goes into a fantasy world inhabited by hot chicks with big boobs, who all fall in love with him once said protagonist somehow turns into a combination of Alexander the Great and Superman. Also everyone has and knows their RPG stats for some reason.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

CommissarMega posted:

Aren't they mostly (like, 99%) self-insert fiction? It seems that there's a general trend where a bland highschool protagonist goes into a fantasy world inhabited by hot chicks with big boobs, who all fall in love with him once said protagonist somehow turns into a combination of Alexander the Great and Superman. Also everyone has and knows their RPG stats for some reason.

You should try Konosuba. It's a parody of this kind of plot and loving hilarious.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

The self-insert RPG fantasy world character genre is so ludicrous and creatively bankrupt that it's really hard to tell that konosuba is a parody of it rather than just being a more funny and self-aware example of the genre.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Granted, I watched the anime instead of reading the original light novels it's based on, but it seemed pretty clear to me and honestly I feel like going into what makes it clear in more depth would spoil the fun of the first episode(or light novel equivalent) slowly unraveling the dumb bullshit.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013

CommissarMega posted:

Yeah the market's pretty much split between 'ordinary guy goes to magical highschool and becomes their Lord and Savior due to unbalanced power also he gets a harem' and 'ordinary guy gets stuck in fantasy world and becomes their Lord and Savior due to unbalanced power also he gets a harem'. With some outliers such as 'ordinary guy goes to magic highschool/otherworld and totally fails at life but that's okay because the most powerful girl in the world falls for him because he sees her undressing or something, also he has a harem to help him through all his wacky hijinks lol randomness!' and 'I really like writing about little girls'.

The worst part, to me, about these stories is how much the main character no sells everything. 'Oh gee I appear to be in a magical world and I have all this power *yawn* okay that's cool I guess. Guess I'd better go kill monsters or something.' It's like Japan got tired of America making fun of how over-the-top reactions in anime are and instead started making all their leads not react to anything. Well, except for the inevitable 'oh no I walked in on a girl changing' and 'oh no I appear to have fallen on a girl and am now clutching her breast without realizing it' moments in which they still over-react. Just once I'd like to see a character that's like 'Oh my god I'm in my favorite MMORPG! Holy crap! This is the best day of my life! I'm going to go party with my favorite guildmates and we're going to go do some badass quest and fight some kickass monsters!'

Why the hell are these loner main characters playing online games to begin with? Isn't the point of an MMO the community and teaming up with people?

I Killed GBS posted:

Speaking as someone who both reads a lot of light novels and has read Piers Anthony, this is blatantly false.

It's 4/5ths at most.

Actually, yeah. If you just avoid anything that obviously has a harem in it then you're likely to get good and not creepy stuff.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Getsuya posted:

Why the hell are these loner main characters playing online games to begin with? Isn't the point of an MMO the community and teaming up with people?

They could be playing SWTOR

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
I know Christian fiction has been mentioned but have we talked about Mormon fiction? When I was a kid my parents got me the whole collection of Chris Heimerdinger books to read. The main series he did was Tennis Shoes Among the Nephites, which is about teens going back in time to live some of the more interesting bits of the Book of Mormon.

In the second book one of the protagonists, while in Mexico, points to a cockroach and says 'Look, it's the state bird!'

He also wrote one about Ben Franklin time traveling, one about how Daniel from the Bible and Nephi from the Book of Mormon were bffs and one weird sci-if one where a teen gets a jacket that stops time and a gun that makes people love him.

I'm actually very interested in seeing what a non-Mormon would think of these books.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Tell me more about the gun that makes people love him. That sounds pretty weird!

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

I'm not Mormon, I'll read 'em but I don't wanna pay for 'em

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013

Powaqoatse posted:

Tell me more about the gun that makes people love him. That sounds pretty weird!

You program in a target then can set it to either love or hate. Whatever living thing you zap with it the either loves or hates the programmed target. The protagonist uses it to become popular then to fix his broken family. Things don't turn out so well in the end.

Efexeye posted:

I'm not Mormon, I'll read 'em but I don't wanna pay for 'em

I'd Lets Read them but I don't own them anymore and also don't want to spend money on them.

Getsuya has a new favorite as of 18:37 on Dec 1, 2016

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

I've never heard of or read this book, but as always, TV Tropes delivers:

elf pedophiles with magical copy protection

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Powaqoatse posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwoM6J1pS0U

sorry

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Where do fists come from?

Powaqoatse posted:

^^I think he means this one: :nws: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=o0fNNWDe0hs :nws:

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

Getsuya posted:

Yeah the market's pretty much split between 'ordinary guy goes to magical highschool and becomes their Lord and Savior due to unbalanced power also he gets a harem' and 'ordinary guy gets stuck in fantasy world and becomes their Lord and Savior due to unbalanced power also he gets a harem'.
Are there literally none with female protagonists or do you just not read those?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Getsuya posted:

You program in a target then can set it to either love or hate. Whatever living thing you zap with it the either loves or hates the programmed target. The protagonist uses it to become popular then to fix his broken family. Things don't turn out so well in the end.

That seems incredibly dangerous. I'm glad everyone learns their lesson in the end :)

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

What the gently caress is a netnovel

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

DStecks posted:

this is the correct answer

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Actually, I've kinda been wondering about "If you just avoid anything that obviously has a harem in it then you're likely to get good and not creepy stuff."

I kinda doubt that it's likely you'll get good stuff if you just filter out the harems.

I mean that's like saying if you filter out muslim terorrists from Tom Clancy books. They're still not good.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

pookel posted:

Are there literally none with female protagonists or do you just not read those?

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

DStecks posted:

Basically fanfiction but not based on anything (but don't worry, it's still incredibly derivative!)

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Red tiddy up white tiddy down

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Red tiddy up white tiddy down

gently caress, I looked back up at the pic & I think I have strabismus now.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Like, where do people post it? And how does it gain an audience? I mean, no surprise a genre is going to produce mostly pandering cliche trash if people are probably finding it by looking for stuff that has the cliches they like.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

from what i'm told Wattpad is where people post and read them. once in a while you get some gems but usually it's utter rubbish. i read a chapter of some book which involved a transgender judge who gets to shoot people in court with her concealed carry pistol whenever she gets misgendered, so when the website asked me to sign up to read more i didn't bother

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

The Saddest Rhino posted:

from what i'm told Wattpad is where people post and read them. once in a while you get some gems but usually it's utter rubbish. i read a chapter of some book which involved a transgender judge who gets to shoot people in court with her concealed carry pistol whenever she gets misgendered, so when the website asked me to sign up to read more i didn't bother

I don't want to read this because I know it inevitably won't be as funny as I'm imagining it right now.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

The Saddest Rhino posted:

That sounds 10x better than level 20 nerd gets to *roll 1d4* touch 3 boobs, but also he can *no roll, natural ability* own the world

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013

pookel posted:

Sorry I should have specified I was talking about light novels aimed at guys. Among those, yeah the female protagonist ones are few and far between (and the few I know of are actually pretty dang good).

DStecks posted:

In the context of Japanese novels, this means a novel that was posted in full up on the internet for people to read for free. Japanese publishers actually sift through all the trash and do publish quite a few of these things, so it's kind of the new way to become a popular author for teens in Japan. The sites that host these are currently inundated with books about loner teens teleporting to magical worlds and being bored while also being really awesome and getting all the ladies.

Powaqoatse posted:

Actually, I've kinda been wondering about "If you just avoid anything that obviously has a harem in it then you're likely to get good and not creepy stuff."

I kinda doubt that it's likely you'll get good stuff if you just filter out the harems.

I mean that's like saying if you filter out muslim terorrists from Tom Clancy books. They're still not good.

In my admittedly limited experience all the bad light novels I've read have involved harems and all the good light novels I've read haven't. Yes, there are good light novels. Just off the top of my head I'd recommend Kino's Journey and Baccano to anyone. I mean they're at the level of good YA, so they're not super amazing change your outlook on life good, but for YA novella series they are good.

Non-light-novel-apologist content:

The only book by Heinlein I ever finished was The Cat Who Walks Through Walls, and it is definitely one of the worst books I've ever read. I've heard Heinlein went senile and they kept publishing his stuff so I have to assume he wrote this post-senility. It has no real plot, has some weird 'quirky!' vibe going on that doesn't work 'lol we have a bonsai tree and we'll call him tree-san and attach irrational levels of importance to protecting it over the course of our journey whee random!' It has weird sexual stuff just like all the bad sci-fi, and some weird circlejerk bit where, unless I'm misremembering, a bunch of old thinkers Heinlein likes show up and they're all immortal and there's seriously a conversation they have about what theme music they want to play when they step out of their private UFOs or something like that.

And then, a few pages from the end, the book realizes nothing has happened and immediately skips right to the climax, jumping all the way over any set-up or rising action, and reveals that mission is failed, everyone died. Oh no they killed the cat too.

It was amazingly pointless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Not senile so much as had a serious carotid artery blockage in the mid seventies, and at least one mini-stroke.

While surgery helped with the blockage, his writing never really recovered.