Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
Has anyone tried translating the binary text to ASCII yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012

Fuckin Trump Riot posted:

Lost in all this is how AIDA's magic is geometrical—just like you'd expect a magical robot's to be.

A lot of magic systems use pretty complex geometries, internalised or externalised.
Or in this case both depending on whose point of view we had.

WhoNeedsAName
Nov 30, 2013

Dongattack posted:

What was that note Mac was holding at the end? "Hope" and then some numbers, seemed like a date maybe. Throwback to something I've forgotten?

Were the numbers 082997?

(Not watched the episode yet)

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum

The Back of Mack's Photo posted:

Hope

04/18/06

Also, I really like the comparison of how people got back to normal -

Coulson and Fitz - Avoid descending into Hell with teamwork, and the help of friends and loved ones.

Robbie - Make a deal with a demon, presumably fight his way back on his/their own.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

OB_Juan posted:

Robbie - Make a deal with a demon, presumably fight his way back on his/their own.

End of Season:

:j: Phew, good thing everything's wrapped up now! And there's absolutely no dangling threads to endanger us!
:ohdear: ...uh
:j: ...
:ohdear: Sooooo there was this one guy that owed the Rider money in Hell, we kind of beat him up and took it
:devil: Sup, I'm Mephisto
:j: OH SHI—

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

OB_Juan posted:

Also, I really like the comparison of how people got back to normal -

Coulson and Fitz - Avoid descending into Hell with teamwork, and the help of friends and loved ones.

Looks like he's tried to burn it, gonna be interesting to see what that is about.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Vishass posted:

the hand motions were similar, and the book design is similar to the books in the movie's library.

also there was a second missing book in the library as a possible easter egg to the darkhold, but who knows with how little a poo poo the movie side gives for shield.

The thing that Coulson was being sucked into sure looked like a budget version of the Mirror dimension from Dr Strange.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
Season 4 Episode 7: "Deals With Our Devils"

http://i.imgur.com/aOzw7LJ.gifv

http://i.imgur.com/JTHCaqg.gifv

http://i.imgur.com/LwZfP2d.gifv

http://i.imgur.com/3nTv5eE.gifv

http://i.imgur.com/RM37iuk.gifv

http://i.imgur.com/gl2ny11.gifv

http://i.imgur.com/H7zZSYr.gifv

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
This is a good show you guys. I like this show and am glad I watch it. :D

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Ghost Mack didn't get nearly enough screen time. :|

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Electromax posted:

You couldn't quite make it out, but every 1 and 0 on that page was made of millions of microdots like TV static and there were petabytes on one page alone.

Should have used a barcode font.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
That was a good episode.

Was going to come in here and make a D'Dew joke, but was soundly beaten and I'm not disappointed by that. I'm hoping that her season twist is she's not going to turn evil. She's going to stay super benevolent because SHE IS THE SHIELD. It's her catchphrase after all.

High tech sling portal was cool, though. I think they were in an unstable mirror dimension and the collapsed version would have taken them to ??.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Vishass posted:

they said he had buried a lot of pain. That was probably a photograph with a date on the back of it. I don't think anything besides his brother has been mentioned about his backstoriy
The demon said while in Mac that he had lost hope. Then we saw him looking at a picture the back of which said hope and a date. Obviously Mac had a daughter named Hope who died.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

I might be really tv naive, but I think she was copying the brain scan of May. She might LMD as May, maybe the real May dies or seems like she could?

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!

Pan Dulce posted:

I might be really tv naive, but I think she was copying the brain scan of May. She might LMD as May, maybe the real May dies or seems like she could?

My personal guess would be that she wants to either make another LMD, or she wants to improve herself via better emulating a real brain.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
I'm really hoping AIDA joins the team as the resident robosorcerer. Robots doing magic is always cool.

Are there any characters based on that concept in the comic universe already?

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Mack's Arnie impression is solid.

That gun spin is hilarious for various reasons.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Slashrat posted:

I'm really hoping AIDA joins the team as the resident robosorcerer. Robots doing magic is always cool.

MCU Vision seems to be that, sort of. I don't think the mainline Vision is like that though.

Spergatory posted:

This is a good show you guys. I like this show and am glad I watch it. :D

What are the renewal odds looking like right now? I feel like this show should go at least 2 more seasons and am getting pretty nervous it'll get iced due to it's bad first impression and how soundly Netflix started out of the gate.

I STILL can't convince some people to give it another shot after season 1 and most every bad thing from that reason got spun into gold.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Dec 1, 2016

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Slashrat posted:

Has anyone tried translating the binary text to ASCII yet?

It would be the greatest easter egg of all time if it basically translated to "You actually bothered to do this? LOL" or the like.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

Blazing Ownager posted:

MCU Vision seems to be that, sort of. I don't think the mainline Vision is like that though.

MCU Vision always just struck me as an artificially created meatbag with a laser gem in his forehead, not a literal machine casting spells and performing rituals.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Slashrat posted:

how can they do magic if they have no souls? :confused:

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

Zebulon posted:

My personal guess would be that she wants to either make another LMD, or she wants to improve herself via better emulating a real brain.
"If I only had a brain..."

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum

double nine posted:

how can they do magic if they have no souls? :confused:

Who says she doesn't? Or that anyone else does?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

OB_Juan posted:

Well how else is she going to have a climactic series-end battle with Ghost Rider, the guy who can kick the poo poo out of anyone who has a soul and has committed evil if she has a soul?

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

OB_Juan posted:

You keep your skeptical rationalism on your side of the fence, Fitz :mad:

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

Kheldarn posted:

Jocasta already showed up in Age Of Ultron, so it's highly doubtful that she'll end up on AOS.

She did?

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

I think the name appeared on a screen in a blink-and-you'll-miss-it kind of thing.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
Oh, wait, this show's still on?

I almost forgot. Why do they hate their own show so much?

The book should have been in at least hex, but only 2% of the audience would get that. Binary is something the other 98% understand and know that binary = computer talk. That's all. It was a necessary visual metaphor or the audience wouldn't have understood.
I actually worried about this while trying to fall asleep last night. Man, the book would have been so inefficient in binary. Maybe if she re-reads the pages it updates? Hex or even a binary dump to text would have been better. But the audience wouldn't know what that is. How many people open up a .exe file in a text editor in purpose or run a hex editor or look at network packets? Everybody knows what binary is even if they can't read it. Who cares? Go to sleep!
<<< Nerd.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

OB_Juan posted:

Or that anyone else does?

Doctor Strange. :colbert:

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I wish they had written out the numbers now in a fancy cursive script, just to make nerds heads explode. One one zero one zero one one zero zero zero one zero.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer

Slashrat posted:

It's doubly cool when they're doing magic and aren't evil.
Because I really want AIDA to not turn out evil

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

counterfeitsaint posted:

I wish they had written out the numbers now in a fancy cursive script, just to make nerds heads explode. One one zero one zero one one zero zero zero one zero.

You called?

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Slashrat posted:

MCU Vision always just struck me as an artificially created meatbag with a laser gem in his forehead, not a literal machine casting spells and performing rituals.

Counter-point: Pretty sure he's got an android/synth body (God Ultron is a blur now) and has a magic gem in his head that lets him do things?

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Dec 1, 2016

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Blazing Ownager posted:

Counter-point: Pretty sure he's got an android/synth body (God Ultron is a blur now) and has a magic gem in his head that lets him do things?

MCU Vision is basically Mind Gem-enhanced JARVIS in an android body that Ultron made for himself

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Alexeythegreat posted:

It's doubly cool when they're doing magic and aren't evil.
Because I really want AIDA to not turn out evil

I mean the show is consistently great about subverting expectations so from the one shot of Aida doing something sketchy and maybe villainy it probably won't be at all

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
The chick who made him the body was literally shown earlier as having a machine that made replacement human flesh. There are lines in the movie about the engineered body having cells for the vibranium to bond to. It's a biological body - one engineered by a crazy alien AI, but still biological.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

hope and vaseline posted:

I mean the show is consistently great about subverting expectations so from the one shot of Aida doing something sketchy and maybe villainy it probably won't be at all

The problem with this show is that the writers know that the show keeps subverting expectations and now it's equally reasonable to assume just about anything, so there's literally a 50% chance that she will be evil, and a 50% chance that she won't be

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Ok, how bout the writers know how to write logical plotlines that take into account the core of the characters involved, and Aida was literally created to save lives, to be the shield, so it would make more sense that what she's doing is an extension of her original programming that would allow her to do it, just with magic science

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

hope and vaseline posted:

Ok, how bout the writers know how to write logical plotlines that take into account the core of the characters involved, and Aida was literally created to save lives, to be the shield, so it would make more sense that what she's doing is an extension of her original programming that would allow her to do it, just with magic science

Yes

But in addition to that, the source of the aforementioned magic science is a big black evil book of evil, and she was taught moral relativism (am I using the term correctly? I forget) by Radcliffe.
And they need their overarching antagonist for the season: is it going to be Eli or will he be offed in the winter finale? If the latter, are they introducing Mephisto or not?

What I'm saying is there's more than one plotline that would make sense, and knowing AoS writers, there's hardly any knowing what it will be until much closer to the end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jetfire
Apr 29, 2008
I like that Mace was angry about Mack leaving without wearing a helmet.

• Locked thread