Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Good Canadian Boy
May 12, 2013

So I'm looking into getting a smart watch. I really like everything about the new iwatch (minus it being rectangular) but I have an android phone so it's not currently an option for me. These are the features that I'm wanting in a watch.

- looks sleek and minimalistic (Basically the moto 360)
- Has good fitness options (at minimum can track a run decent, a tredmill run and weight lifting)
- easy to switch bands so I can have a leather band and a poo poo band for workouts
- preferably has gps but if it borrows it from my phone without too much of an issue that's okay too
- bluetooth

Do any android watches do everything as good as the current iwatch 2? Or should I just say gently caress it and buy a new fancy automatic watch and wait another year or two for smart watches.

Or my other gently caress it option is I sell my moto x play and just buy new apple everything like a big idiot.

(Edit) should I get the Samsung gear s3?

Good Canadian Boy fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Nov 15, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I'd wait for Android Wear 2.0 and the rumoured Google-branded watches at this point. But we don't know when that will happen other than "next year".

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

I think an argument can be made to get an Android Wear device even before Wear 2.0 is released, but if you do I would recommend getting one with the new Snapdragon Wear 2100 processor. That means the following list:

Nixon - The Mission
Michael Kors Access Dylan Smartwatch
Fossil Q Marshal
Fossil Q Wander
ASUS ZenWatch 3

I don't think anything on that list is going to satisfy the dream of being good for fitness and being able to swap the band to switch to professional look.

The Samsung gear S3 might be an interesting device to look at. It's not Android Wear though.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. Bertrand Russell

Or you can buy a refurbished whatever looks nice to you to hold you over to see what the Google watches look like. I did this with a Zenwatch 2 for $79 and it's OK.

(Just kidding, it's not OK. The ebay seller sent me one with wrong band. They raised price of the item on ebay, and I contacted them to make sure they would send me the correct item at the price I already paid. They said they would, so I sent the watch back. They just refunded my money and told me to rebuy it at the higher price...fuckers. I would've just kept it and bought a different band.)

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

That's a fair point too, if you want a watch for fitness you could get a Moto 360 Sport for $120
https://dailysteals.com/products/moto-360-sport-2nd-gen-45mm-smartwatch

Then either switch watches when it's time for your suit and tie, or just walk into your important business meeting sporting a rubber watch band and own it.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Rastor posted:

just walk into your important business meeting sporting a rubber watch band and own it.

I see Armani suits and rubber fitbits every day...it's a social statement thing "this guy works out and cares about himself" or something like that...

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Rastor posted:

I think an argument can be made to get an Android Wear device even before Wear 2.0 is released, but if you do I would recommend getting one with the new Snapdragon Wear 2100 processor. That means the following list:

Nixon - The Mission
Michael Kors Access Dylan Smartwatch
Fossil Q Marshal
Fossil Q Wander
ASUS ZenWatch 3

I don't think anything on that list is going to satisfy the dream of being good for fitness and being able to swap the band to switch to professional look.

The Samsung gear S3 might be an interesting device to look at. It's not Android Wear though.

The Fossils both have flat tires but no ambient light sensors. Truly the worst of both worlds.

Good Canadian Boy
May 12, 2013

I think the samsung Gear s3 hits everything on my list. Am I missing something? Or is the fact that you dont' get android apps for it a big downfall?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Good Canadian Boy posted:

I think the samsung Gear s3 hits everything on my list. Am I missing something? Or is the fact that you dont' get android apps for it a big downfall?

I personally really like Wear apps but it looks like the whole scheme is going to change with Wear 2.0 in the next couple months so it's really a mystery.

My two favorites are Authenticator+ and Our Groceries. Checking off items on the grocery list using only my watch is loving magic.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Good Canadian Boy posted:

If you think you will like it, go for it. It's still experimental days for smartwatches. Apple Watch, Android Wear, and Samsung Tizen seem to be the 3 most popular approaches but there's no clear winner right now. Apple just did a big overhaul and Android Wear is expecting a big overhaul soon.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Google needs to hurry up and announce their watches

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. Bertrand Russell

Huh, the Zenwatch 3 has an ambient light sensor and no flat tire. That's pretty tempting.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005
The watchband is a complete dealbreaker for me.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?
A while ago I put a metal band on my Moto 360 that was advertised as compatible with the original 360. 2 weeks ago I flung my arm out to catch something falling off my desk, and the watch detached from the band and flew off my wrist. The pinholes for securing the watchband are now cracked bad enough that no watchband will stay attached.

So I pulled out my old Kickstarter Pebble and have been using that for the last couple weeks, and surprisingly the battery still lasts for 6-7 days on a charge. I'm not missing Android wear features nearly as much as I thought I would. At least not enough to drop >$300 CAD on a new one. The Zenwatch 3 looks nice but I think I'll wait until Wear 2.0 is released before considering another Android Wear.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
Oh hey, picked up an S3 Frontier LTE from T-Mo today. It's really nice. It's pretty big (think Mission big).

Sarnsun'g I guess, but I like it. Everything works great with the Pixel, but Samsung Pay is MIA. Funny since it's advertised as functional when paired with a non-Samsung phone. Oops, Sarnsun'g I suppose.

Maybe an update will enable it, maybe I was lied to. Either way, the hardware is nice enough for me to not get bitchy about it being missing.

Sure, I'd love to have googly everything, but it's pretty nice as-is. Having a full cellular connection for runs (sans phone) that can stream audio via BT headphones and make/receive calls and texts is pretty nifty.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

hotsauce posted:

Oh hey, picked up an S3 Frontier LTE from T-Mo today. It's really nice. It's pretty big (think Mission big).

Sarnsun'g I guess, but I like it. Everything works great with the Pixel, but Samsung Pay is MIA. Funny since it's advertised as functional when paired with a non-Samsung phone. Oops, Sarnsun'g I suppose.

Maybe an update will enable it, maybe I was lied to. Either way, the hardware is nice enough for me to not get bitchy about it being missing.

Sure, I'd love to have googly everything, but it's pretty nice as-is. Having a full cellular connection for runs (sans phone) that can stream audio via BT headphones and make/receive calls and texts is pretty nifty.

Wrong thread.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Thermopyle posted:

Wrong thread.

I'm aware TYYZENN isn't welcome here. Just thought, since it's kinda a competitor to AW, some would find it interesting.

I'll bring my poo poo-slop posting to the generic wearables thread from now on, thanks.

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007
I interviewed a NK escapee who came to my school and made a thread. Then life got in the way and the translation had to be postponed. I did finish it in the end, but nobody is going to pay 10 bux to update my.avatar
Are there any other watches coming out?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Spermanent Record posted:

Are there any other watches coming out?

The Google ones in early 2017

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

hotsauce posted:

I'm aware TYYZENN isn't welcome here. Just thought, since it's kinda a competitor to AW, some would find it interesting.

I'll bring my poo poo-slop posting to the generic wearables thread from now on, thanks.

I appreciate your share, hotsauce. Personally I think it's OK to post about the Tizen watches in here occasionally, especially as compare/contrast to Wear. If you're still watching this thread, feel free to post about what you think Tizen does better, worse, ideas Wear should steal, etc.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

hotsauce posted:

Tizen is welcome here in the sense that it's good to know how it compares to AW.

I'm not saying you can't post about it in here, I'm telling you this is the Android thread in case you made a mistake.

We occasionally get people posting stuff in here without realizing there's another thread.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Thermopyle posted:

Tizen is welcome here in the sense that it's good to know how it compares to AW.

I'm not saying you can't post about it in here, I'm telling you this is the Android thread in case you made a mistake.

We occasionally get people posting stuff in here without realizing there's another thread.

Good stuff, thanks. I'm not exactly wanting to go to war with a mod, so...

I'm hyper aware Samsung watches do not run Android Wear, and I was considering the S3 or the Zenwatch 3. Thought maybe there may be a goon or two out there in the same predicament, so I posted here. The S3 is super nice, but I'm already getting annoyed at the lovely apps on the Samsung store. The battery life is totally bonkers good though, so Samsung has Tizen optimized the gently caress out I guess. Went for a run this morning and GPS worked great. Locked in about 30 seconds. Heart rate was accurate.

Nobody should be surprised I'm considering bailing already because, well, it's me. I want to like it. Tizen is super logical for a watch...no swipe, swipe swiping like AW, but the lack of apps and Google services is grating on me already.

I don't need 145 apps on my wrist, but there are a few logical things that aren't available on this device (Allo replies, GP Music, other Android-y things).

It's a solid device if anyone goes into buying it okay with it having a strong Samsung approach, rather than a Google one. I knew this going in but am having doubts already.

hotsauce.txt

Magog
Jan 9, 2010

Len posted:

Google needs to hurry up and announce their watches

Yes please. As much as the OG Moto 360 has pleasantly surpassed my expectations in survivability the hardware is past it's expiration date really and I don't want to buy one of the wear devices currently available.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

NFC coming soon?

https://www.engadget.com/2016/11/21/android-wear-tap-to-pay-google-play-services/

quote:

Google may finally be ready to bring tap-to-pay to Android Wear, judging by evidence discovered in the Google Play Services version 10.0 by Android Police. Text prompt strings with messages like "Try holding your watch to the terminal again" make it fairly clear that Google is in the late stages of testing the feature. If you have a compatible Android Wear watch (one with an NFC chip), it will let you touch your watch to an NFC-equipped retail terminal to pay for goods.

Another new feature that appears to be coming soon is Instant Apps, a way to get apps (for one-time use or other reasons) without actually installing them. Android Police notes that the Instant App services have been switched on and a flag set from false to true, meaning the feature is likely being tested in the wild.

Does anything currently have an NFC chip besides the LG WULTESE?

edit: Android Pay may finally come to Canada too, one day: http://mobilesyrup.com/2016/10/11/latest-version-of-android-pay-suggests-the-platform-could-soon-come-to-canada

Looks like it's connected to Interac which means even my regional credit union might be compatible.

UnfortunateSexFart fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Nov 21, 2016

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
I bought a Pebble Time Round to bide time before the next series of good AW watches came out and now every other watch is a brick to me :eng99:

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
I returned the S3 and grabbed a barely used Huawei w/mesh band for $100. Tizen drove me nuts. Super battery life but not having Google services was poo poo.

Hopefully the Pixel watches are a thing.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Hi, I'm a Pebble refugee, I'm cancelling my Time 2 after the latest news, and I'm interesting in getting an Android Wear watch instead. I'm not a super power user and the most important thing to me is battery life. Fitness tracking also isn't a big deal for a watch, I mainly use it for notifications/interacting with notifications, and remote control of things like music. Reasonable price is important, after battery life. What would you guys recommend? Or, should I wait for this AW refresh that someone mentioned? I would like to take advantage of Boxing Day sales next month for a watch if possible too.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

If it's possible for you to wait for Android Wear 2.0, then wait. We know it's going to be very different and we don't know which watches are going to get it or when.

FWIW, Android Police picked the Asus Zenwatch 3 as the best current Android Wear device.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Rastor posted:

If it's possible for you to wait for Android Wear 2.0, then wait. We know it's going to be very different and we don't know which watches are going to get it or when.

FWIW, Android Police picked the Asus Zenwatch 3 as the best current Android Wear device.

That does look very nice. I have a Best Buy Canada gift card too, so that wouldn't be a bad idea. I've been very out of the loop on AW, do you have a link or a summary of this 2.0 refresh? Might be worth waiting, I'm not adverse to that.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

http://www.wareable.com/android-wear/android-wear-update-everything-you-need-to-know-2735

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Thanks! Looks like the Zenwatch 3 is confirmed to be getting Wear 2.0, so I may pick one up. Cheers thread.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

With Wear 2.0 putting focus on fitness, I'm hoping Google's watches have new tech for heart rate and pedometer-ing.

Though, increasing the pedometer accuracy of AW may just be down to the algorithm and not the accelerometer or whatever other hardware they use for measuring steps...

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

CLAM DOWN posted:

Hi, I'm a Pebble refugee, I'm cancelling my Time 2 after the latest news, and I'm interesting in getting an Android Wear watch instead. I'm not a super power user and the most important thing to me is battery life. Fitness tracking also isn't a big deal for a watch, I mainly use it for notifications/interacting with notifications, and remote control of things like music. Reasonable price is important, after battery life. What would you guys recommend? Or, should I wait for this AW refresh that someone mentioned? I would like to take advantage of Boxing Day sales next month for a watch if possible too.

I've owned most of the more popular Android Wear watches and my current one's (LG Urbane second edition) battery is by far the best, in large part due to the size of the watch and its LTE capability. 80% battery at the end of the day is normal.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

I've owned most of the more popular Android Wear watches and my current one's (LG Urbane second edition) battery is by far the best, in large part due to the size of the watch and its LTE capability. 80% battery at the end of the day is normal.

That one looks cool but I really strongly do not need/want cellular capability, considering the better SoC too I'm still leaning towards the Zenwatch 3 tbh

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

CLAM DOWN posted:

That one looks cool but I really strongly do not need/want cellular capability, considering the better SoC too I'm still leaning towards the Zenwatch 3 tbh

I'd have to agree with you. Isn't the ZW3 the only fully round watch with an ambient light sensor?

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

LastInLine posted:

I'd have to agree with you. Isn't the ZW3 the only fully round watch with an ambient light sensor?

Yes but proprietary bands which is a no for me unless it's for a really good reason like LTE antennas. And the design is a bit polarizing in my opinion. And along with the proprietary band comes the band connectors which I find off putting for some reason.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
Looks like they're going to not release any new 360s until the market improves, which might be never. You were good for this world. :smith:

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

These pipes are cleeeean!!!
I have the ZW3 and overall I'm pretty happy with it. I got the Pujie watch face but I'm still using one of the stock watch faces as it seems like it'll take me some time to create a watch face (doesn't seem to be templates available).

My current gripe is that the watch strap is a tad long for my wrist and the strap holders keep shifting around which is a bit of an annoyance.

Being totally honest, I like the look of it and am enjoying this but I haven't really found a critical use for a smartwatch. I'm still having some trouble figuring out how to get notifications pushed to my watch and have it vibrate but I'm using light flow so I think I just need to take a closer look at how to configure it there.

Edit: Regarding battery life, I easily get a full day out of it even when I first got it and was loving around with the watch. Here's an example after wearing it for ten hours.

Ashex fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Dec 5, 2016

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

CLAM DOWN posted:

Cellular capability can be completely ignored and runs the same as all other AW watches if you do, just means a better battery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Ashex posted:

I have the ZW3 and overall I'm pretty happy with it. I got the Pujie watch face but I'm still using one of the stock watch faces as it seems like it'll take me some time to create a watch face (doesn't seem to be templates available).

What do you mean no templates? If you're looking for something to just tweak, check out facerepo.com. There's also a Pujie Google+ community.