Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Y: Cursed -2 Boots of the Yarn Ball (ponderous, *Confuse, *Drain)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I'm guessing this is a fixedart!

code:
L - the +10 broad axe of Okawaru's Pride (weapon) {chop, rPois rF+ rC+ rN+}

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I'm guessing this is a fixedart!

code:
L - the +10 broad axe of Okawaru's Pride (weapon) {chop, rPois rF+ rC+ rN+}

Nope, random!

Here's a list of fixedarts, though I'm not sure if the wiki is fully up to date.

Edit: Usually a good way to identify a fixedart is that it will have it's own unique description, and most of them also usually do something unique that can't be found on normal items. Likewise, all fixedarts are immediately identified upon sight (with the exception of the Robe of Misfortune, which looks like a normal robe and is a sick joke).

Floodkiller fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Dec 1, 2016

hito
Feb 13, 2012

Thank you, kids. By giving us this lift you're giving a lift to every law-abiding citizen in the world.

PleasingFungus posted:

1 hp should be enough for anybody

Darren Grey actually did a talk at IRDC 2012 entirely about 1-hp roguelikes and why he thinks they're the best

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
Felids can't wear boots, guys, they have claws 3 :v:

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Floodkiller posted:

Nope, random!

Here's a list of fixedarts, though I'm not sure if the wiki is fully up to date.

Edit: Usually a good way to identify a fixedart is that it will have it's own unique description, and most of them also usually do something unique that can't be found on normal items. Likewise, all fixedarts are immediately identified upon sight (with the exception of the Robe of Misfortune, which looks like a normal robe and is a sick joke).

I got Frostbite once and it was awesome. And then I died in Vault 5 again like an idiot. Kids, don't disrespect Vault Wardens and their stair lockout ability. Many a great character has been overwhelmed attempting to stairdance.

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene
Even on a troll in gold dragon armor, I dumped a stupid amount of XP into translocations just to beckon wardens into the meatgrinder.

Beckoning is cool, and also good.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I thought it would be safe to cast swiftness with a gap between me and an ettin. Nope. He moved and hit me in the same turn.

Do ettins get two actions per turn? Is this some weird edge case? What exactly happened?

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Most likely he got lucky with energy randomization. Sometimes monsters take slightly less than one turn to move, sometimes slightly more. This can let them close the gap and swing at you.

IIRC it was added to discourage pillar dancing but doesn't actually do anything of the sort. It did achieve its other stated goal of making crawl less predictable though, so I hope you appreciated the moment.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I love dying to obfuscated randomness hidden in the code that I have no way of knowing about or planning for. It's the best.

Thalamas
Dec 5, 2003

Sup?

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I love dying to obfuscated randomness hidden in the code that I have no way of knowing about or planning for. It's the best.

The slightly less/slightly more than 1 aut thing allows you to escape from regular speed enemies in the absence of haste/swiftness.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

You can't really plan for it though.

I had boots of running too. I could have just kept running, but I thought swiftness would make me even safer.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
If you had boots of running, why didn't you just run?

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

He jumped out from around a corner, so we were directly next to each other at first. I ran far enough to make a gap between us, and then I used swiftness to build more of a gap so I could either lose him, pelt him from a distance, or give myself some extra wiggle room if other bad guys showed up. I just didn't expect him to get a move and a swing.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Fitzy Fitz posted:

He jumped out from around a corner, so we were directly next to each other at first. I ran far enough to make a gap between us, and then I used swiftness to build more of a gap so I could either lose him, pelt him from a distance, or give myself some extra wiggle room if other bad guys showed up. I just didn't expect him to get a move and a swing.

Yeah, this thread is weirdly protective of really bad decisions by crawl devs. Using the powers of 20/20 hindsight they'll just explain that you should've known he would have gotten a full free turn for no real reason because it allows you to sometimes escape from same-speed monsters. This is preferrable to sometimes making monsters lose .1 turns or you just sometimes gaining .1 turns on movement for ~*Reasons*~.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Hey now, we've protested the removal of hammers and their refusal to add more crab monsters. :v:

Seriously, we aren't actually defending the randomized energy system, the guys who have spoken up so far have been explaining what the system is and why potentially it is still in place.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012
So how's everyone's opinion on the last few patches? Way back when I've looked at the changelog for 0.17, went "gently caress that noise" and stuck to 0.16 whenever I decided to splat another squishy caster. None of the changes on the subsequent releases convinced me it's worth to convert to them. Am I missing on much?

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Captain Monkey posted:

Yeah, this thread is weirdly protective of really bad decisions by crawl devs. Using the powers of 20/20 hindsight they'll just explain that you should've known he would have gotten a full free turn for no real reason because it allows you to sometimes escape from same-speed monsters. This is preferrable to sometimes making monsters lose .1 turns or you just sometimes gaining .1 turns on movement for ~*Reasons*~.

I'm over it, but my new "optimal play" strategy is always assuming enemies will get two actions, which is kinda lame.

My new guy is a HuWr^Dith with shadow dragon scales. He's badass.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Why have demigods when you can worship Chei?

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
FR: prosperity gospel orc priests of gozag.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

Aumanor posted:

So how's everyone's opinion on the last few patches? Way back when I've looked at the changelog for 0.17, went "gently caress that noise" and stuck to 0.16 whenever I decided to splat another squishy caster. None of the changes on the subsequent releases convinced me it's worth to convert to them. Am I missing on much?
As much as some things change that I don't like (rmut, spells taken away, removal of Crown of Eternal Torment*), the improvements are almost always worth it. There has yet to be a version where the bad outweighed the good. And I'm someone who has been playing since about .5 or so. Also game gets stale without some shake up every now and again.

*I will never let this go.

Shinino Kage
Sep 5, 2008
Okay, so after doing a lot of playing over the past week as MiBE and a few other things (trying to get first win!), I've come to a couple of things i wanna bring up.

1) Scrolls of Acquirement -- currently it states that it's weighted to weapons you have training in (if you choose weapons). I had a 0 in long blades and the scroll gave me a Triple Sword -- this shouldn't happen. Can we get a change so that if you choose weapon, it chooses a weapon type you have training in? Even if it's a cross-train (like you're training maces and it gives you a staff or whatever). The scrolls are rare enough that getting a completely useless weapon from it is really painful.

2) Starting and Early Game weapons -- I think we need a change here. It seems odd that different race/class combos start with different weapons from the same class. Either everything should start with a falchion, or everyone should start with long sword. Same for axes, daggers, et al (with a possible exception of stabby classes starting with daggers).

Also, there needs to be more generation of the basic weapons earlier in the game. I shouldn't be sitting on a hand axe all the way to D:11 because only 2 axes have dropped. I know it's RNG, but this can be tweaked. I'm not saying I need a ton of magic and arte weapons -- those should still be uncommon, but I should be able to find a war axe and/or broad axe by D5 and 10, respectively IMO. Same applies for Long Sword, Morningstar/Dire Flail, Halberds, et al.

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

Aumanor posted:

I'm still mad stalkers were removed

ed: also, the only change I'd like to see to starting weapons is a quarterstaff option on a lot of starts that don't get them, like monks.

Shinino Kage
Sep 5, 2008
So here's the earliest things are showing up in my current game:

D1: Club/Dagger, Magic dagger -- this is fine.
D2: Whip/Short Sword/Spear -- also fine
D3: Quarterstaff/Flail/Trident -- also fine -- but no long blades or axes have shown up at all as of yet (will edit as I clear)
D4: GSC (Ogre), War Axe, Falchion (Eustacio) -- so this is actually better than I usually seem to experience with a 2nd tier polearm and axe.
D5: Shortbow, Magic falchion
D7: Long sword (enchanted), blowgun, hunting sling
D8: Battleaxe (enchanted), Halberd (this is honestly one of the better runs I've had. The only thing missing at this point is Scimitars and Morningstars.)

As an aside--why does Trog/Oka gift you weapons that you aren't training in? Ex: throwing weapons/needles when you have no throwing skill. Or is that a hint? :p

Shinino Kage fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Dec 1, 2016

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

You're supposed to adapt to what the game gives you. It can be frustrating, but that's how it's supposed to work.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Long blades are also there rarest class of weapon to show up, iirc (especially in higher qualities, like anything beyond a great sword)

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
It just kind of occurred to me: is there any reason why the Barding types are separate? Aside from Lightning Scales and Black Knight, I mean. It's super infuriating to find a Naga barding as a Centaur and vice versa.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

I went Hep with OpTm because I don't yet have a Hep win (which was maybe a mistake because of the frail).

What buddy do I go with? Was thinking hexbud initially, but now I'm considering tankbud instead.

edit: I suppose I could branch into stabbing because of my great stealth, so hexbud would help there. hm.

Shinino Kage
Sep 5, 2008

Fitzy Fitz posted:

You're supposed to adapt to what the game gives you. It can be frustrating, but that's how it's supposed to work.

Yes, but if you're playing a race/class combo that is horrible with a certain weapon-type, it's horrible to not have at least basic weaponry scale up. Again, I'm not talking "Oh, I should have a super-arte great sword on D1 every game".

I'm saying that I should see at least mid-tier base weapons by the time I hit Lair IMO.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I'm not touching the newer releases util they bring back the ability to eat poisonous chunks (so most likely never). That was the worst change in a sea of bad changes.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Just play Ghoul, problem solved!

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Aumanor posted:

I'm not touching the newer releases util they bring back the ability to eat poisonous chunks (so most likely never). That was the worst change in a sea of bad changes.

OK, that one does actually annoy me. Anything that increases chunk/hunger tedium is bad.

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene
hmmmm i am not sure that goblins spawning with triple swords would make the early game easier

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
auto_butcher is built in now and works decently, chunk tedium is way down. Basically you have to sometimes eat food in a couple lair branches and crypt now and that's it. I hate food but i no longer really care because it's barely noticeable now.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

Aumanor posted:

Nutrition is almost completely irrelevant by the time you hit the fifth floor of the dungeon, and I'm saying that as someone who repeatedly plays casters that throws spells at full hunger in every fight going all the way through extended.

Honeslty, food might as well be cut for the little impact it has on the game. A few gods and maybe races may need tweaking but hey.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Shinino Kage posted:

Yes, but if you're playing a race/class combo that is horrible with a certain weapon-type, it's horrible to not have at least basic weaponry scale up. Again, I'm not talking "Oh, I should have a super-arte great sword on D1 every game".

I'm saying that I should see at least mid-tier base weapons by the time I hit Lair IMO.

Which race/class combos are you having this issue with? Most races are pretty good with 2 or 3 weapon types.

Are you putting all your xp into your weapon skill? That's the typical advice, but I actually like to invest in Fighting so that I can still be flexible about which weapon class I commit to.

Shinino Kage
Sep 5, 2008
Yes, I am -- which makes it a bit more infuriating if you're at 10 in say, maces, but haven't seen a morningstar by Lair. I still think that upping the starting weapons for most combos to War Axe / Long Sword / Flail and giving Quarterstaff as more of an option would take care of a lot of this, mind.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Hook into cross-weapon training and use a better quality axe for a while! :black101:

Shinino Kage
Sep 5, 2008

Sage Grimm posted:

Hook into cross-weapon training and use a better quality axe for a while! :black101:

Definitely cross-training is very helpful. Having Maces/Axes/Quarterstaves all tied together, and Long/Short Blades, and Polearms/Quarterstaves is very beneficial.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Shinino Kage posted:

I think you can find most mid tier weapons if you go to Orc, which is around Lair. Orc warriors, knights, and warlords have a lot of common mid tier weapon variety.

• Locked thread