Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
This game is
This poll is closed.
Great! 180 32.61%
Awesome! 212 38.41%
Good! 160 28.99%
Total: 552 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
melodicwaffle
Oct 9, 2012

Call or fold?

I don't know how I feel about this game. I find combat really finicky and was constantly pressing the wrong buttons due to years of KH ingrained into my system. (I've since switched to Type C which is radically different and this has helped vastly.) Even with camera settings on Far it still behaves poorly and gets stuck on stuff like cliffs and bushes that totally obscure the screen.

Last night I did a nighttime hunt for some level 17 goblins near the beach which I was completely underleveled for, there were so loving many of them comboing my team to death. I got by with that one Ignis skill everyone in the thread said to get, Gladio and Prompto still died but Noct and Ignis managed to scrape by even though our max HP was down to like 100 for most of the fight. We literally fought until 5 AM and then headed to a nearby trailer to sleep for an hour. It was loving rad.

I hate the combat in this game and am bad at it but at the same time it is the coolest poo poo ever and I want more of it. :psyduck:

Thanks to whoever posted the combo videos earlier btw, I'm hoping the game will feel more fun once I start trying to learn those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

guts and bolts posted:

Yes. You can always do it at night; Ignis will actively refuse to do so and also encourages you not to drive, but you can blow him off. At the beginning of Chapter 3, he also basically hands you the keys and tells you that you can drive yourself at will now, even during daylight hours. That said, because driving the car yourself amounts to "hold R2 and occasionally tap a direction on your analog stick" and "change the radio" (and you can change the radio from the backseat anyway!), it's usually a better idea to just let Iggy handle the driving.

It'd be more fun to drive if the car was louder and faster. Yeah I get that it's allegedly unbecoming of royalty to have straight pipes and 1500bhp going 200mph doing donuts through Hammerhead but guess what happened to the goddamn royalty

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

Y'all my car is so hosed up and this stripper still won't repair it.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

black.lion posted:

Y'all my car is so hosed up and this stripper still won't repair it.

Oh you need to go get the gallon bucket of lube from the lube caverns first.

Noirex
May 30, 2006

I just want to rant about how infuriating Chapter 11 is.

the part where you have to warp to the 4 ships and blow them up. Somehow, I get stuck to the corners of the ships and cannot warp to them, thus getting stasis and failing the timed mission over and over again. What a lovely stupid quest mechanic on an otherwise fun game.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

MrLonghair posted:

Gonna play through it with English language voices because it's my industry. Seeya when the credits roll.

Game was alright, 8/10 at best on that scale of rating where 5 is average.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

guts and bolts posted:

Ignis has an enchant-your-weapon-with-their-weakness Tech that is incredibly useful, but it means sacrificing his Regroup tech, which saves you gil on restorative items.

You can change character's Techniques mid-battle. Just mentioning this because it's basically ended up with my using nothing but Ignis because why would I waste precious technique energy on those other lameasses

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I've been playing with Japanese dubs and English subs. The English subs, of course, are based on the English dialogue. Having some basic knowledge of Japanese is funny, because the English subs don't match up completely. The English translation team clearly had some liberties when doing their translation (which is totally fine to make it their own), but seeing Noctis say "Hai" in response to a question and then see the English subs read something like "you betcha!" is funny as heck.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Have you heard the Good News?

FAUXTON posted:

It'd be more fun to drive if the car was louder and faster. Yeah I get that it's allegedly unbecoming of royalty to have straight pipes and 1500bhp going 200mph doing donuts through Hammerhead but guess what happened to the goddamn royalty

Noct is hardly "becoming of royalty" anyway. My dude wears black on black with black print and textures on his short-sleeved duster (?) and his cargo capris (???????)

ImpAtom posted:

You can change character's Techniques mid-battle. Just mentioning this because it's basically ended up with my using nothing but Ignis because why would I waste precious technique energy on those other lameasses

Oh, word. Yeah, I dunno - Ignis so far seems like he's just so much more useful than the other two that I'm starting to wonder if I'm doing something wrong. Gladio is good for Intercept and no other reason. Prompto is good for [reason to be edited into this post later]

Meanwhile Ignis can heal your whole team to full and pull them out of a shitstorm, can also imbue your weapon with an element that will now make regular attacks connect for about fifty bazillion damage, and can LAHN A NYEW RECIPEY

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Prompto takes sweet pictures.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
how in the everliving gently caress do you activate the Ermagerd Armiger? I realize it is supposed to be L1+R1 on PS4, but I'll be damned if that works consistently. I even left the game to go to the tutorial which by the way YOU CANT GET TO FROM THE loving MENU YOU HAVE TO LOAD A GAME AND THEN BACK OUT TO USE THE TUTORIAL

so I'm loving around in the tutorial and I get it to activate once but then the tutorial gives you a boost to your armiger bar to keep trying it and it won't activate no matter how many times I press or press and hold L1+R1.

some things about this game are just so drat clunky and feel unpolished.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Huzanko posted:

Do you ever get to drive the car yourself?

I only played until the second city last night but I was driving in chapter 1. When you first get your car back Ignis asks you if you want to drive and I told him Hell Yeah so I could do some sick donuts outside the gas station.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
I'll get a writeup done but I want to say I thought the game got better the deeper I got, especially with how I'm a sucker for good story.

seiferguy posted:

I've been playing with Japanese dubs and English subs. The English subs, of course, are based on the English dialogue. Having some basic knowledge of Japanese is funny, because the English subs don't match up completely. The English translation team clearly had some liberties when doing their translation (which is totally fine to make it their own), but seeing Noctis say "Hai" in response to a question and then see the English subs read something like "you betcha!" is funny as heck.

Just a simple "mm" would suffice so many times. I played with English voices learn from their mistakes.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun
You have to press L1+R1 simultaneously, and the timing is pretty tight. If you hold either it'll think you're trying to open a menu/lock onto a target/open the map depending on your control scheme.

The Chairman fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Dec 1, 2016

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

DeathSandwich posted:

I only played until the second city last night but I was driving in chapter 1. When you first get your car back Ignis asks you if you want to drive and I told him Hell Yeah so I could do some sick donuts outside the gas station.

i think you lose the ability after you make it to the next hub or the one after. No one ever says so, but the option will be greyed out.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

DeathSandwich posted:

for the first few chapters you can only drive it at certain times (like not at night) but at some point you're allowed to drive it whenever you want.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
ahah, that moment when a level 36 iron giant coming out of the ground for the first time in your game coincides with the first appearance of dropship magitek soldiers. ran like gently caress, watched the carnage from a distance. good stuff.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

The first time I was able to drive the car I was coasting to the next outpost listening to One Winged Angel and a Iron Giant pops out in the middle of the road. Pretty terrifying tbh.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Think I'm pulling the trigger on this one this weekend. Is it holding everyone's interest?

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

seiferguy posted:

Isn't that one of the many "meanings" of hai?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

seiferguy posted:

"You betcha" is a perfectly reasonable translation of that depending on context so I don't get what you mean.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Isn't that one of the many "meanings" of hai?

Hai.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Deified Data posted:

Think I'm pulling the trigger on this one this weekend. Is it holding everyone's interest?

Buy the game and go on a trip with your new best friends.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Skeezy posted:

Prompto takes sweet pictures.

Seriously, when I first saw the mechanic I sort of rolled my eyes at how cheesey it sounded and now I find myself resting when I don't need to just to make sure he doesn't run out of pictures for the day (and also to see the ones he did take).

My friends are probably sick of all the pictures I keep sending them though.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The fact that all the photos are in engine and not only for plot or other set moments helps the whole thing out considerably. As does the boys comments on the photos of themselves

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009

guts and bolts posted:

Meanwhile Ignis can heal your whole team to full and pull them out of a shitstorm, can also imbue your weapon with an element that will now make regular attacks connect for about fifty bazillion damage, and can LAHN A NYEW RECIPEY

I saw some people quoting the RECIPEY in this chat. When he actually said it in the game I almost died laughing. Ignis is the best.

I still like Prompto screw the haters. He's chronicling our whole journey with his sweet camera. Now that moment when I sat on a bench next to a big blue bird mascot will live on forever.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

seiferguy posted:

Is this an option in the NA version of the game?

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
what drives the finesse score? I tend to get higher on it when I thought I did poorly in the fight - like that time I needed to use like ten potions on noctis cause I kept getting my face kicked in

Deified Data posted:

Is this an option in the NA version of the game?

hai

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

*shot of Gladio's arse takes up 90% of the frame* 'That's a good one.'

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The Walrus posted:

what drives the finesse score? I tend to get higher on it when I thought I did poorly in the fight - like that time I needed to use like ten potions on noctis cause I kept getting my face kicked in

Links, just evades and counters basically. The more you do the higher it is, I don't think it marks you down for using items or generally having a poor fight.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

The Chairman posted:

You have to press L1+R1 simultaneously, and the timing is pretty tight. If you hold either it'll think you're trying to open a menu/lock onto a target/open the map depending on your control scheme.

thanks, I figured out what I had wrong. In the tutorial it doesn't tell you that your bar has to be full to activate it. So the tutorial fox guy goes "I'll give you a boost" he fills your bar 95% of the way and then you see the prompt "press L1 + R1" to activate armiger. but in reality you can't activate it until your bar is full again. just some sloppy translation work probably. It's like nobody bothered sitting a new player down with this game and watching them try to figure poo poo out. and I'm not remotely a new player to Final Fantasy, they're just terrible at communicating ideas.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Barudak posted:

Buy the game and go on a trip with your new best friends.

:kimchi:

Dog Fat Man Chaser
Jan 13, 2009

maybe being miserable
is not unpredictable
maybe that's
the problem
with me

Sakurazuka posted:

*shot of Gladio's arse takes up 90% of the frame* 'That's a good one.'

he's right.

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

guts and bolts posted:

Noct is hardly "becoming of royalty" anyway. My dude wears black on black with black print and textures on his short-sleeved duster (?) and his cargo capris (???????)

Yo this is his military prince outfit provided to him, the whole culture is techno goth.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

black.lion posted:

Yo this is his military prince outfit provided to him, the whole culture is techno goth.

Yeah, Noctis' buddies comment occasionally on how they're basically advertising their allegiance to the Crown with their solid-black getups, and Cor has a few Hunters wondering aloud at what the hell someone is doing wandering the wilds in that outfit.

Weird that the most standard clothes in Final Fantasy history draw the most in-universe comments.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

im gonna switch to japanese voices so i can enjoy cidney without her overdone southern drawl

Serf
May 5, 2011

I gotta say, as a southerner it is weird to hear my accent in a Final Fantasy game.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Super No Vacancy posted:

im gonna switch to japanese voices so i can enjoy cidney without her overdone southern drawl

not as bad as the 1920s newsie guy

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
pet peeve #397:

when a platoon of high level magitek assholes dropships directly onto your car while you're trying to do piddly missions so you have to run away and summon your car further down the road.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

The Walrus posted:

not as bad as the 1920s newsie guy

seriously, worst voice in an FF game.

• Locked thread