Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Concerned Citizen posted:

i still think obama is actually a secret atheist and nothing can convince me otherwise

Lol Obama loves church and religion. Have you ever seen this dude pray or sing amazing grace?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Tight Booty Shorts posted:

Lol Obama loves church and religion. Have you ever seen this dude pray or sing amazing grace?

idk didn't he not go to church for basically his entire presidency? makes you think.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

WarMECH posted:

I vote by mail in Florida and aint no place more private to fill out my ballot than my kitchen table.

I think it is important to consider corner cases. For example one this that several polls showed this season is that couples were often wrong about who their spouse was voting for.

While 45 percent of married women said they were voting for Hillary Clinton, only 33 percent of married men responded that their wives would be casting their ballot for the Democratic nominee. Women were a bit more accurate when it came to guessing their spouse's preference, but there was still a gap: While 49 percent of married men said they'd be casting their ballot for Donald Trump, only 41 percent of married women said their spouse was supporting the GOP candidate.

You don't even need an abusive relationship or something. You just need somebody to feel pressure to vote with their spouse because its easier, or because they don't want to get in to an argument about who they are voting for. I'm sure you could find similar studies about peer groups for younger people who's friends might want to all fill out ballots together, or whatever. And while I'm sure it isn't widespread, there definitely are abusive relationships where a wife or girlfriend could be forced to show who they voted for, or an employer could reward or outright demand a certain vote.

I mean, there's a reason that companies want people to have to publicly support unionization vs. holding a private vote.

You have to consider the absolute worst case for stuff like that and those corner cases remind you why the secret ballot is there to begin with. I really think that is one of the single most important parts of how democracy works in our country.

Thoguh has issued a correction as of 19:38 on Dec 1, 2016

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
It's the same reason voter ID laws don't seem like a big deal until you consider that for people at the margins or who live different lives than you getting an ID can be a very tough or outright impossible task.

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Concerned Citizen posted:

idk didn't he not go to church for basically his entire presidency? makes you think.

Obama went to church every week dude idk what the gently caress you're talking about

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

Serf posted:

For real though, Sanders needs to spend some of his popularity talking up younger politicians who align with his views. They gotta exist out there, and as the most prominent voice in the Democrats right now, Sanders should be getting their names and faces out there so we can start building a real bench of progressives that will take up the cause when he's gone.

I mean, he kinda did. Zephyr Teachout, Paul Clements, and Tim Canova were some of the big names on his downticket squad.

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Mr. Jive posted:

I mean, he kinda did. Zephyr Teachout, Paul Clements, and Tim Canova were some of the big names on his downticket squad.

Zephyr Teachout? That's a crazy name

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Mr. Jive posted:

I've heard one of those names, and I've only heard of Tim Canova because he thought "lets start a war with Iran" was the ticket to unseating a multi-decade incumbent.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
tim casanova

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

Thoguh posted:

I think it is important to consider corner cases. For example one this that several polls showed this season is that couples were often wrong about who their spouse was voting for.

While 45 percent of married women said they were voting for Hillary Clinton, only 33 percent of married men responded that their wives would be casting their ballot for the Democratic nominee. Women were a bit more accurate when it came to guessing their spouse's preference, but there was still a gap: While 49 percent of married men said they'd be casting their ballot for Donald Trump, only 41 percent of married women said their spouse was supporting the GOP candidate.

You don't even need an abusive relationship or something. You just need somebody to feel pressure to vote with their spouse because its easier, or because they don't want to get in to an argument about who they are voting for. I'm sure you could find similar studies about peer groups for younger people who's friends might want to all fill out ballots together, or whatever. And while I'm sure it isn't widespread, there definitely are abusive relationships where a wife or girlfriend could be forced to show who they voted for, or an employer could reward or outright demand a certain vote.

I mean, there's a reason that companies want people to have to publicly support unionization vs. holding a private vote.

You have to consider the absolute worst case for stuff like that and those corner cases remind you why the secret ballot is there to begin with. I really think that is one of the single most important parts of how democracy works in our country.

:yeah: :yeah: :yeah:

It can't be overstated how critical your right to vote secretly is. It's non-negotiable. I agree with your last sentence emphatically. It's sacred. The right to vote under coercion or for a price is not the right to vote. We need the right to vote.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Thoguh posted:

Because I think filling out your ballot in private is extremely important and anything that limits that is bad.

It really, really doesn't, basically all of the objections to vote by mail have proved illusory in practice. It's really not difficult to find a quiet 15 minutes to do it privately, and it's extremely nice to be able to have the option to research things you're unsure about as you fill out the ballot at your leisure. I mean really, what scenario is more common- that you're in a controlling relationship with a violent political extremist who insists you fill out your ballot form in front of them, or that your job circumstances/health makes the prospect of standing in line outside for hours on a random weekday so impossible/unpleasant that you don't end up voting at all? There are better ways to do in-person voting of course, but why are you judging vote-by-mail by extremely improbable worst case scenarios while ignoring all of the very real indignities and problems that come with running traditional polling stations?

LGD has issued a correction as of 19:47 on Dec 1, 2016

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Fox affiliates are actually relatively good from what I can tell. I'm guessing they're far enough removed from the corporate nucleus that they can slip poo poo under the radar.

Nothing too controversial, obviously, but stuff worth reporting that Fox News would ignore or even celebrate.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
https://twitter.com/SenSanders/status/804392625084174337

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

MizPiz posted:

Fox affiliates are actually relatively good from what I can tell. I'm guessing they're far enough removed from the corporate nucleus that they can slip poo poo under the radar.

Nothing too controversial, obviously, but stuff worth reporting that Fox News would ignore or even celebrate.

fox affiliates are fine, fox news isn't

i used to watch fox 5 in the morning and even being in the same city as fox news didn't make them bad

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

here's the trump response: i didnt give them a tax break, they're not leaving the country, i saved 1000 jobs. cut print, sucks to be you benie ol man your truth doesnt mean poo poo

WarMECH
Dec 23, 2004

Thoguh posted:

But the secret in-person ballot still exists (with weeks of early voting no less!), so what's wrong with mail-in ballots? Mail-in ballots aren't mandatory, just a nice option for some of us who don't want to wait in line, or spend more time reviewing the ridiculous amendments they attach in this stupid state every election.

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

this is a nifty graphic, bernie must have picked up some talented interns

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

logikv9 posted:

i used to watch fox 5 in the morning and even being in the same city as fox news didn't make them bad

i used to drink across the street from the fox five studios in manhattan, good bar, look it up

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Fullhouse posted:

When you're the most popular politician in the country, you get only the most talented free-or-cheap labor.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Ellison just posted what I think is a fantastic response to the Nation of Islam stuff:

https://twitter.com/keithellison/status/804385495509794816

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Obama went to church every week dude idk what the gently caress you're talking about

old but:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/12/29/us/as-the-obamas-celebrate-christmas-rituals-of-faith-stay-on-the-sidelines.html

quote:

But the one thing the president and his family did not do — something they have rarely done since he entered the White House — was attend Christmas church services.

“He has not gone to church hardly at all, as president,” said Gary Scott Smith, the author of “Faith and the Presidency: From George Washington to George W. Bush,” adding that it is “very unusual for a president not to attend” Christmas services.

Mr. Obama has gone to church 18 times during his nearly five years in the White House, according to Mark Knoller of CBS News, an unofficial White House historian, while his predecessor, Mr. Bush, attended 120 times during his eight years in office.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Zephyr Teachout? That's a crazy name

She staged a primary challenge to Andrew Cuomo from the left in 2014 and did remarkably well, pulling over a third of the total primary vote as I recall against a sitting governor (albeit one with precious few friends within the NY Democratic Party).

I think he even dragged took his family to Easter services when they were on break in Hawaii.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

they used to have big bowls of pretzels and goldfish crackers on top of the bar...... good bar

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

MizPiz posted:

Fox affiliate stations aren't actually owned by Fox, they're independent but carry fox shows and use their branding.

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

Fullhouse posted:

idgi that graphic takes longer to read than I, the imagined versions of human people the DNC vampires think we must be like, have. Can you please phrase this in 3 emoji or less, or perhaps have Lena Dunham, or, preferably, Sarah Silverman or Chelsea Pretty, rap to me on the topic. Thanks in advance

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
Article from Freddie on cultural appropriation: http://fredrikdeboer.com/2016/12/01/no-one-has-the-slightest-idea-what-is-and-isnt-cultural-appropriation/

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

docbeard posted:

Ellison just posted what I think is a fantastic response to the Nation of Islam stuff:

https://twitter.com/ChupacabraDel/status/804386626973663233

:lol:

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU
CNN told me it was illegal for me to possess Wikileaks information and I should rely on the media to go through it for me and tell me how to feel about it and that put my mind at ease

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7DcATG9Qy_A

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

(holds envelope to giant comedy turban) im guessing that he's going to say that cultural appropriation is ok/doesnt exist, and in fact people who are offended or insulted by cultural appropriations are merely prosecuting class prejudices.

how did i do????

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

LGD posted:

It really, really doesn't, basically all of the objections to vote by mail have proved illusory in practice. It's really not difficult to find a quiet 15 minutes to do it privately, and it's extremely nice to be able to have the option to research things you're unsure about as you fill out the ballot at your leisure. I mean really, what scenario is more common- that you're in a controlling relationship with a violent political extremist who insists you fill out your ballot form in front of them, or that your job circumstances/health makes the prospect of standing in line outside for hours on a random weekday so impossible/unpleasant that you don't end up voting at all? There are better ways to do in-person voting of course, but why are you judging vote-by-mail by extremely improbable worst case scenarios while ignoring all of the very real indignities and problems that come with running traditional polling stations?

A big part of my point is that it isn't just abusive relationships or other extreme things that can influence a vote. As that poll I linked to showed, in just this election there were a large percentage of couple's that incorrectly guessed who their spouse was going to vote for. I highly doubt all of those were abusive relationships. Some people just don't want to have difficult conversations like that and that's okay. Their vote still should count.

But to go back to the voter ID thing. When it comes to this kind of thing I think it is important not to consider the average case. You have to consider the impact for the worst case.

Thoguh has issued a correction as of 20:00 on Dec 1, 2016

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
speaking of CNN,

https://twitter.com/thehill/status/804381814114676736

lol

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Fair enough. Dude went to church though. He's religious, not an atheist.

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment

Hail Bernie Bird Thing.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

logikv9 posted:

I specifically said the actual reporting I've seen from Fox has probably been thanks to their affiliates, so I guess we actually... agree? I have not seen similar things from CNN affiliates but perhaps that's just luck, but it just feels like CNN worthless from top to bottom while Fox is like a propaganda firm that occasionally does real news via their affiliates.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Fair enough. Dude went to church though. He's religious, not an atheist.

i don't really think obama is an atheist, it was a joke

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

docbeard posted:

This is good.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
And to add instead of edit, I firmly believe that "Because gently caress you, that's why" is a perfectly acceptable response to anyone who wants to know why you voted for someone or something. And that's not something anyone should be in a position to have to say to their siblings/spouse/friends/boss/person at the table next to them at starbucks/whatever if they don't feel like justifying their vote.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

scoop if true

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Do tell, where do you think the future of the party is? Is it Chelsea Clinton?

aaaaAAAAAAHHHHHHHH

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Thoguh posted:

A big part of my point is that it isn't just abusive relationships or other extreme things that can influence a vote. As that poll I linked to showed, in just this election there were a large percentage of couple's that incorrectly guessed who their spouse was going to vote for. I highly doubt all of those were abusive relationships. Some people just don't want to have difficult conversations like that and that's okay. Their vote still should count.

But to go back to the voter ID thing. When it comes to this kind of thing I think it is important not to consider the average case. You have to consider the impact for the worst case.

But you're assuming that vote-by-mail means "everyone shows off their ballots" and that there is additional pressure to vote the same way your spouse does to avoid conflict. People don't tend to actually show off their ballots, and lying about/not discussing who you plan to vote for operates in exactly the same way with vote-by-mail that it does with a traditional ballot. I live in a state that has universal vote-by-mail and I genuinely don't think anyone has any more idea about what their spouses voted for than they do in any other state. And poo poo, it's not even like the worst case scenarios are any different here- why isn't my ultra-controlling spouse, employer, or politically active friends group simply asking for/having an expectation of sharing cell-phone pictures of my in-person ballot?

And if you're genuinely concerned about the worst case effects of things like voter ID why are you choosing to ignore the very, very real worst-case disenfranchisement that single-day, mandatory in-person voting creates every single election cycle?

• Locked thread