Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
This episode was 50% For The Man Who Has Everything and 50% Perchance To Dream from BTAS so I'd say it pretty much ruled. Only negative was loving Wild Dog, geez man, why you gotta be such a downer.

Although at this point it seems like Wild Dog can salmon ladder, Ragman has powers and occasionally decodes jewish aliens, Felicity is the tech magician... Curtis better start pulling his weight soon because every niche he could fill on the team is getting filled rapidly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I think Arrow may be the first show I've seen in a while that has more than one Jewish character when they're not related and it's not core to the plot or anything. It's not something I look for in shows, though, so I may have missed some. And it's not something that comes up often either, until the Christmas season when some token pulls out a yarmulke.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

That was really good. Better than the first two parts.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
Really fun episode. My only real gripes are the lack of full Tommy and having Deathstroke without Manu (again). Very much mitigated by having the Queen parents back.

And a maid.

Kinda funny Evelyn Sharp doesn't show up. She's just MIA after her heel turn that only we the viewer knows about. She just didn't bother to show up when aliens invaded apparently. Odds are it never gets mentioned once the crossover if finished as well.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
That was so so good. Just wonderful. A lot of people talk poo poo about Amell's acting ability but holy hell he sold the scene with Robert and Moira so well and I actually got misty. Such a good hour of television and easily the high point of the crossover so far and now I really want Laurel back.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Mortanis posted:

Kinda funny Evelyn Sharp doesn't show up. She's just MIA after her heel turn that only we the viewer knows about. She just didn't bother to show up when aliens invaded apparently. Odds are it never gets mentioned once the crossover if finished as well.

I think it'd be kinda awkward to have her there since Arrow viewers who don't watch every other show would be waiting for some sort of heel turn or plot advancement for her, and if they did include it, viewers of the other shows that aren't regular Arrow viewers would go "Who the hell cares?" So they made it easier and just sidelined her entirely. Maybe she's just still having a really long chat with Felicity's boyfriend Prometheus

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
I like how the alien language on the tablet was an orange version of the matrix.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

I like how the alien language on the tablet was an orange version of the matrix.

My brother and I were discussing what that language could be that Rags would recognize it as Gematria and our best guess is it's just numbers. He looked at it, said "there's an 18, I bet that means "life" just like in Hebrew" and rolled with it.

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005
Cons of the season

Thea benched [fixed]

No Manu Bennett

50% of Team Arrow Future Cannon Fodder

Pros of the season

Ragman

Vigilante

now less Malcom

Amel, 99 episodes later CRUSHING IT in the acting department [far cry from accusations that he was an ab model in season 1]

and this classic...

Aquasnake
Jan 30, 2013

"I... I did well, didn't I?"

FELD1 posted:

That whole fight scene was aces. On top of the co-op Thea/Sara maneuver, it was cool to have Ollie brain Deathstroke through the eye again.

Cool, someone else who uses the phrase "Aces". Also it was cool to see how all five of them got to fight their own specific character motivation villains. Even if two of them were just random mooks representative of Andy, and (ironically) random Deathstroke mook that killed Ray's wife.

e. There's probably something to be read into about how Diggle was injured in the fight with respect to him dealing with killing Andy, but I try to leave the really deep character introspection to the people who actually care about that.

Aquasnake fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Dec 1, 2016

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
I thought it was kind of interesting how everybody's lives in the matrix went basically to what would have been with their own family in tact, except for Diggle and Felicity. Like, everybody's lives just kind of moved forward as though none of the events of the past few years had happened, but with Diggle and Felicity some major poo poo had to have happened for them to end up there. And it was the major poo poo happening that triggered flashes of the real world. So wtf? Diggle and Felicity are just destined to live lives that are hosed up enough that being vigilantes doesn't trigger them?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

It didn't give Felicity anything as she was not there. The rest got the lives they most desired it seems. Dig is still in a headspace where he thinks he still needs to pay penance for his wrongs.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."
Actually, wouldn't Ray be dreaming of being with his dead fiance, not Felicity?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Yes, but the audience doesn't know that character so from a writing standpoint Felicity was a better insert for the story especially since we saw that relationship play out on Arrow. You could have also used Hawkgirl, but that's bringing in stuff that played out on another show. They still had Ray mention her though.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

X-O posted:

Yes, but the audience doesn't know that character so from a writing standpoint Felicity was a better insert for the story especially since we saw that relationship play out on Arrow. You could have also used Hawkgirl, but that's bringing in stuff that played out on another show. They still had Ray mention her though.

I am glad they didn't bring back Hawkgirl because Hawkguy wouldn't be far behind.

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!
Reminded me of the Justice League Unlimited ep that Alan Moore considers the only decent translation of any of his works, What Do You Get For the Man Who Has Everything? Thea and Ollie in particular having to give up a comfortable, ideal life with their parents and effectively kill them again in order to escape it all and the acting from them in the course of it was wonderful. The fight sequence owned pretty well, too. Right down to Roy gunning down the random rear end thug then looking at the gun with some vague mix of confusion and disgust that he did it. Even the Waverider swooping on in to save them and BWIP back into the timestream to get the gently caress out of the way of the swarm of fighters owned.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They found a way to have a space battle on the bow and arrow vigilante show.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

X-O posted:

You could probably also justify it in-universe by saying that Ray's first wife wasn't back because it was a shared hallucination/simulation, and nobody on the team except for Ray ever knew her, so a total outsider wouldn't fit at everyone else's dream wedding.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Okay, so them being on an alien ship in outer space was somehow a surprise? Like, where did you think aliens abducted you to? An old warehouse?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

No Butt Stuff posted:

Okay, so them being on an alien ship in outer space was somehow a surprise? Like, where did you think aliens abducted you to? An old warehouse?

Have you not seen Arrow before? Anything important happens in an old warehouse. 80% of Star City is old warehouses.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Guy Goodbody posted:

Have you not seen Arrow before? Anything important happens in an old warehouse. 80% of Star City is old warehouses.

Realistic as that city was a poo poo hole before Merlyn fired up the ol eathquake machine

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Since someone wondered about it earlier, according to Guggenheim Artemis joined Prometheus during episode 6, shortly after finding out about the list.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Why didn't Ollie mention that he actually never killed anyone on the list except one assassin that was actively trying to kill him at the time. The only person who serial killed people on the list was Merlyn.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Oliver personally killed 5 of the people on the list that have appeared on the show or in the comic, and there's 2 or 3 more he killed indirectly.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

greatn posted:

Why didn't Ollie mention that he actually never killed anyone on the list except one assassin that was actively trying to kill him at the time. The only person who serial killed people on the list was Merlyn.

Ollie still killed a bunch of randos so from a technical standpoint that is true, he was dropping bodies all over town

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Aphrodite posted:

Oliver personally killed 5 of the people on the list that have appeared on the show or in the comic, and there's 2 or 3 more he killed indirectly.

Hrm. Who exactly? I just remember the ones Merlyn killed, the one played by River Tam that Diggle killed(twice), and the assassin he killed on an airstrip.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Bad Moon posted:

Ollie still killed a bunch of randos so from a technical standpoint that is true, he was dropping bodies all over town

They don't have names, they aren't people.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

greatn posted:

Hrm. Who exactly? I just remember the ones Merlyn killed, the one played by River Tam that Diggle killed(twice), and the assassin he killed on an airstrip.

The assassin mentioned: http://arrow.wikia.com/wiki/Guillermo_Barrera
Digg's ex-CO: http://arrow.wikia.com/wiki/Ted_Gaynor
Arms dealer: http://arrow.wikia.com/wiki/Leo_Mueller

And 2 from the comic
A corporate spy who phished Felicity: http://arrow.wikia.com/wiki/Ted_Daniels
A sex trafficer: http://arrow.wikia.com/wiki/Justin_Whicker

Then there's Frank Bertinelli who was basically Ollie's fault, and Mr. Blank's client. Oliver made him confess to hiring him, which made him kill him in retaliation.

But in any case, the list made Ollie kill a lot of people.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
We watched the episode again today and the scene with Moira and Robert is just so drat good. I hope Amell gets a shout out for how great he is this year.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Ah that's the problem, counting only the show, I forgot the CO and trafficker were even on the list.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
After watching this episode, the abductions at the end of Flash make a lot more sense. It was fun having Sara and Ray back on Arrow. Wild Dog's aversion to powers was understandable but does this mean he doesn't like Ragman or is he ok with him because it's a suit?

Not having Artemis in the crossover episode makes me think she going to die after her heel turn.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

greatn posted:

They don't have names, they aren't people.

*Felicity sighs, crosses Havenrock off her kill count*

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
That whole thing is mildly annoying. Ollie should have just said "Yes, I killed people on the list and I freaking learned it wasn't a good path which is why I'm telling you little shits not to. I'm not a hypocrite, I loving went through it and don't want you to have to learn the same way."

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Mortanis posted:

That whole thing is mildly annoying. Ollie should have just said "Yes, I killed people on the list and I freaking learned it wasn't a good path which is why I'm telling you little shits not to. I'm not a hypocrite, I loving went through it and don't want you to have to learn the same way."

Oh yeah I'm sure that will convince the 17 year old who feels lied to.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Why does every shared hallucination have an easily accessible exit door and why are the pods never locked or in a locked room?

Bad guys fumble this ball every single time.

I mean, they were presumably monitoring the shared hallucination since they were scraping data from it. Those data miners must be disgruntled since they didn't warn the rest of the crew that team arrow escaped.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

bull3964 posted:

Why does every shared hallucination have an easily accessible exit door and why are the pods never locked or in a locked room?

Bad guys fumble this ball every single time.

I mean, they were presumably monitoring the shared hallucination since they were scraping data from it. Those data miners must be disgruntled since they didn't warn the rest of the crew that team arrow escaped.

They weren't getting data from the shared hallucination, the hallucination was just to keep their minds busy while the Dominators probed their subconscious. I think the Dominators were looking for general anti-human intel, not specific anti-Oliver and Company intel

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Guy Goodbody posted:

They weren't getting data from the shared hallucination, the hallucination was just to keep their minds busy while the Dominators probed their subconscious. I think the Dominators were looking for general anti-human intel, not specific anti-Oliver and Company intel

I'm expecting them to have probed them for the weaknesses of their more powerful teammates.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

They still should have noticed when they disconnected.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

bull3964 posted:

They still should have noticed when they disconnected.

They were busy milling around the hallway naked

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slowpoke Rodriguez
Jun 20, 2009

No Butt Stuff posted:

Thank you.

I never got into Arrow, but I am watching it for the crossover event. Maybe I just am not familiar enough with it's characters (I do watch Legends though) but I was pretty shocked that everyone seems to love this episode, on the whole it's pretty dumb.

Other low points include:

The moody idiot in a hockey mask who did a complete 180 on his dumbly expressed but not altogether incorrect feelings about powers in about 5 minutes time, why'd they bring this guy?

Speedy (who I had liked in her other crossovers) wanting to stay. Yes, her feelings are understandable, but she knows the simulation is run by malicious aliens, why would she think they would keep her in her fantasy world? And Oliver was really going to leave her to die? and then of course 5 minutes later she changed her mind? Is super low impulse control a running theme in Arrow?

• Locked thread