Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
The thing with Taggart is that at WKU they were a carbon copy of Stanford and did it really well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

The thing with Taggart is that at WKU they were a carbon copy of Stanford and did it really well.

There's still some elements of it in his current offense, just spread out and a lot faster. He wanted to run the same offense at USF but it wasn't working and he was pretty close to getting fired. He adapted on the fly to something kinda similar to what they're doing now, saved the season, and it really took off this year after they had an offseason to perfect it.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Dec 1, 2016

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.
So who is going to end up with Chip Kelly then if he's not actually going back to Oregon

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

MourningView posted:

There's still some elements of it in his current offense, just spread out and a lot faster. He wanted to run the same offense at USF but it wasn't working and he was pretty close to getting fired. He adapted on the fly to something kinda similar to what they're doing now, saved the season, and it really took off this year after they had an offseason to perfect it.

Speaking of Jeff Brohm, is he looking to move somewhere else or is he just kind of parked there til something happens to Bobby Petrino?

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Sab0921 posted:

So who is going to end up with Chip Kelly then if he's not actually going back to Oregon
The 49ers :laugh:

They won't fire him because they just fired Jim Tomsula after one year and are in the middle of a long-term rebuild.

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

“Go win the Heimlich Trophy!”

Korranus posted:

Speaking of Jeff Brohm, is he looking to move somewhere else or is he just kind of parked there til something happens to Bobby Petrino?

I want to believe someone in the SEC jumps at him in a year after realizing that just hiring all the Saban assistants hasn't actually beaten Saban, but if the guy wants the U of L job, he could be waiting a while since Petrino's probably not winning the ACC next year either with FSU bringing back what they do. I could see Brohm landing somewhere like Tennessee or maybe Ole Miss if they get tired of Freeze since those teams will live and die by the success of the offense.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Korranus posted:

I've seen his name here and there but he hasn't been coaching very long so he might be better off waiting a year or two. It seems like he's behind Fleck in the current mid major pecking order so he may not make a move until Fleck does. Personally I'd much rather have him than Fleck. He'd be a great hire at Purdue and as much as everyone shits on Purdue, that's a huge step up from CUSA and he'd probably take it. There are only so many P5 jobs. He'd be a good fit at Houston too but he doesn't have any Texas experience so I dunno if they'd go for him

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
Jose Aguafresca to Houston?

https://twitter.com/McMurphyESPN/status/804343296311037953

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

3 year extension for Chad Morris at SMU, he's now there through 2022.

Also:

quote:

Colorado: Buffs athletic director Rick George told ESPN that he expects Mike MacIntyre to opt to remain at Colorado, and adds that they will sit down and talk about a contract extension after the Pac-12 title game.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

DJExile posted:

Also:

note: Chad Morris is not at SMU through 2022

wernox
Mar 26, 2001

I gave up my OG title for this.

MourningView posted:

I've seen his name here and there but he hasn't been coaching very long so he might be better off waiting a year or two. It seems like he's behind Fleck in the current mid major pecking order so he may not make a move until Fleck does. Personally I'd much rather have him than Fleck. He'd be a great hire at Purdue and as much as everyone shits on Purdue, that's a huge step up from CUSA and he'd probably take it. There are only so many P5 jobs. He'd be a good fit at Houston too but he doesn't have any Texas experience so I dunno if they'd go for him

The Purdue buzz is that he's #2 after Fleck and ahead of Troy Calhoun.

Duckaerobics
Jul 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
There has been a lot of speculation about Auburn's OC Rhet Lashlee leaving to take a HC job. Rumors are he is in the running for Georgia Southern and Florida Atlantic. He is also the main recruiter for most of Auburn's QB targets and apparently told former Baylor QB Stidham that GS has not contacted him.

I think he deserves a shot at a smaller school and he probably needs to prove he can get it done without Malzahn. I really don't want him to leave this year though because Auburn will probably hire Kendal Briles to replace him.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

I haven't heard Kiffin getting looked at, but Les very much is.

The other guys getting a serious look are Lincoln Riley (naturally), Neal Brown at Troy, and Blake Anderson at Arkansas State. All three are in the Mike Leach tree so it's not hard to figure out who Texas Tech will call when Kliff becomes cheap enough to can.

dirty shrimp money fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Dec 1, 2016

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

To the shock of absolutely nobody, Brett McMurphy is saying Les Miles will not go to Purdue.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
Was Les Miles a particularly good recruiter at Okie Lite? How much of his talent accumulation at LSU was him being a great recruiter and how much of it was having having the most talent-rich state (per capita) basically all to himself? I don't like the idea of splitting the Texas recruiting pie any more that we already are, but I'd be curious to see what Les Miles would do at a place like Houston. Would he finally come to terms with playing offense, or would he try to make a mini-LSU team out Houston's recruiting pool? Could he get Texas players to play defense?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

wernox posted:

The Purdue buzz is that he's #2 after Fleck and ahead of Troy Calhoun.

The fact that Troy Calhoun and Ken Niumatalolo are still at Air Force and Navy suggests to me that they don't want to go anywhere else.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Henchman of Santa posted:

The fact that Troy Calhoun and Ken Niumatalolo are still at Air Force and Navy suggests to me that they don't want to go anywhere else.

Well that and coaching at a service school is kind of its own unique animal too.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Thermos H Christ posted:

Was Les Miles a particularly good recruiter at Okie Lite? How much of his talent accumulation at LSU was him being a great recruiter and how much of it was having having the most talent-rich state (per capita) basically all to himself? I don't like the idea of splitting the Texas recruiting pie any more that we already are, but I'd be curious to see what Les Miles would do at a place like Houston. Would he finally come to terms with playing offense, or would he try to make a mini-LSU team out Houston's recruiting pool? Could he get Texas players to play defense?

He got players from Texas playing defense at LSU, so I think so. If he goes to Houston, that will hurt Tulane (and every other non-LSU school in LA.) I imagine Houston would do well enough recruiting from LA and TX.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Korranus posted:

I haven't heard Kiffin getting looked at, but Les very much is.

The other guys getting a serious look are Lincoln Riley (naturally), Neal Brown at Troy, and Blake Anderson at Arkansas State. All three are in the Mike Leach tree so it's not hard to figure out who Texas Tech will call when Kliff becomes cheap enough to can.

Riley is a Leach tree, but Neal Brown is a Tony Franklin tree and Blake Anderson is a Larry Fedora guy with no connection to the traditional Air Raid trees.

DrunkPanda
Apr 24, 2005
I am trolling you, CineD

28 Days Later is actually a great movie

fuck starcraft

DJExile posted:

Also:

I expected this the whole time (the quote feature erased what I was actually trying to quote, I meant about the Mike MacIntyre part). What would really be awesome is if he managed to hold onto Jim Leavitt as well. Do whatever it takes! Maybe name him co-head coach or something. I mean, we have co-offensive coordinators and that worked out ok, so why not :haw:

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Duckaerobics posted:

There has been a lot of speculation about Auburn's OC Rhet Lashlee leaving to take a HC job. Rumors are he is in the running for Georgia Southern and Florida Atlantic. He is also the main recruiter for most of Auburn's QB targets and apparently told former Baylor QB Stidham that GS has not contacted him.

I think he deserves a shot at a smaller school and he probably needs to prove he can get it done without Malzahn. I really don't want him to leave this year though because Auburn will probably hire Kendal Briles to replace him.

Do you mean GA State? Southern just hired a new coach last year, though I think it was a pretty bad hire. They need to go back to the triple option, their offense was a mess this season. I've been pimping the Navy OC a lot but the dude at New Mexico would be good too. The triple option pistol deal they're doing is super fun and has been running all over people this year.

Henchman of Santa posted:

Ken just hired a new agent so some people think he might be getting ready to look around. He's also held back by the option thing. It's viewed as gimmicky and the transition to and especially away from it can be a huge pain. GT has done pretty dang well with it all things considered though.

Calhoun you might be right but I think he's interviewed for other jobs before?

MourningView fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Dec 1, 2016

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

You'd think that Kiffin might be able to hold out for a better job than Houston.

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

Komet posted:

You'd think that Kiffin might be able to hold out for a better job than Houston.

After UT and USC? I'd think big schools would be weary of offering him. He could do the Herman route to come back.

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug

Komet posted:

It actually seems like the perfect spot to get back into being a head coach. Enough talent there/to recruit and is a proven stepping stone for successful coaches.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

Prozach posted:

Taggart .... Then he went to USF where they went 3-9 in their last year with Skip Holtz. In two years he had them in a bowl game, and the next year he set a school record for wins.

Guy has a great reputation, runs a really entertaining offense and has been successful wherever he goes, which is awful because I'd be forced to hope he fails if he ends up a Duck.

UCF went winless last year in a total clusterfuck, and will go bowling this year. Admittedly they're about the 60th best school in FBS, and have been for much of the last decade or so.

Frost has similar credentials at turning around a program in shambles. But, selfishly, I'd rather he stay another two or three years and see if UCF can can nab the G5 bid.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Regnevelc posted:

After UT and USC? I'd think big schools would be weary of offering him. He could do the Herman route to come back.

Yeah I think it's the other way around. Houston should be able to do better than Kiffin

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
I think Kiffin would he a good get for Houston. I think in the AAC his recruiting ability alone is going to be enough to keep them ahead of most of the field.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Komet posted:

Apparently no one wants to deal with him.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Apparently no one wants to deal with him.

Well, its not like he's burnt any bridges anywhere or shown an inability to be a successful head coach at two different, major programs.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

MourningView posted:

Do you mean GA State? Southern just hired a new coach last year, though I think it was a pretty bad hire. They need to go back to the triple option, their offense was a mess this season. I've been pimping the Navy OC a lot but the dude at New Mexico would be good too. The triple option pistol deal they're doing is super fun and has been running all over people this year.

Ken just hired a new agent so some people think he might be getting ready to look around. He's also held back by the option thing. It's viewed as gimmicky and the transition to and especially away from it can be a huge pain. GT has done pretty dang well with it all things considered though.

Calhoun you might be right but I think he's interviewed for other jobs before?

I do TV work with one of Calhoun's roommates from college. He's interviewed for a couple Power 5 jobs, and was a finalist for Tennessee, but they passed him up for Derek loving Dooley and he apparently told them to gently caress off forever over that. He came really close to an ACC job a few years ago too.

I haven't talked to the guy in a month or so, but I think I still have his email, I should find out what he's upto. I'd love to see us go after him if Holgo's left (I think it's pretty much a done deal Dana is going to be staying here.)

Calhoun's interesting because he runs the Triple Option, but his coaching tree is pretty broad and he has NFL Offensive experience, so he wouldn't run the Triple Option somewhere else. He runs it at AF because thats the talent they get.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

General Dog posted:

I think Kiffin would he a good get for Houston. I think in the AAC his recruiting ability alone is going to be enough to keep them ahead of most of the field.

Out recruiting teams at Houston isn't enough to win the conference though. It wouldn't shock me if Kiffin is a better HC this time but if not, Houston would be in for a bad time.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

quote:

Speaking to the media today, UCF head coach Scott Frost noted “I’m not a candidate for Oregon.”

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

1,2,3,4,5 dem gators don't take no jive. go gator -US Rep. Corrine Brown (D) FL
What's the best non-power conference head coaching job anyways? I would say Houston? Maybe Boise State, Cincinnati, UCF/USF would be in the mix.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
If Houston is this angry about Herman's unthinkable betrayal, just imagine the drama that Kiffin could create down there. Recall that his transition from Tennessee involved actual rioting and fires.

an adult beverage posted:

What's the best non-power conference head coaching job anyways?

Texas :rimshot:

Thermos H Christ fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Dec 1, 2016

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

I think with Calhoun and Niumatalolo it's not that they won't leave the service academies to take a job at a bigger school. But, that if they were willing to take a poo poo job like Purdue, they probably already would have done it. I thought Troy was gone when Tennessee came calling a few years back, he was the best candidate, and that was an opportunity to good to pass up. You can pass up a poor to middling Power 5 school though. I am really surprised that Baylor hasn't come sniffing around Calhoun though. He would give them an image makeover, and Air Force pretty heavily recruits Texas, so he's familiar with the area.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

What's the best non-power conference head coaching job anyways? I would say Houston? Maybe Boise State, Cincinnati, UCF/USF would be in the mix.

1. BYU (if you're mormon)
2. Houston
3. Boise State
4. UCF/USF
5. Cincinatti
6. SDSU? NIU? App State? Arkansas State? North Dakota? EWU? SHSU?

Service academies are their own thing. SDSU would be better if the Chargers were to build a new stadium right next door to Qualcomm they could use. I'm trying to think of other programs that have sustained success over multiple coaches and tend to produce coaches that get hired up after 2-3 years. There aren't really any schools where success is guaranteed, you still have to be a good coach for each stop.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

I do TV work with one of Calhoun's roommates from college. He's interviewed for a couple Power 5 jobs, and was a finalist for Tennessee, but they passed him up for Derek loving Dooley and he apparently told them to gently caress off forever over that. He came really close to an ACC job a few years ago too.

I haven't talked to the guy in a month or so, but I think I still have his email, I should find out what he's upto. I'd love to see us go after him if Holgo's left (I think it's pretty much a done deal Dana is going to be staying here.)

Calhoun's interesting because he runs the Triple Option, but his coaching tree is pretty broad and he has NFL Offensive experience, so he wouldn't run the Triple Option somewhere else. He runs it at AF because thats the talent they get.

Air Force does a lot of option stuff but their offense is a lot more varied than the other service academies have been. I don't think he gets as pigeonholed as an option guy as the Navy coaches so you see him name pop up a lot more

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Simplex posted:

I think with Calhoun and Niumatalolo it's not that they won't leave the service academies to take a job at a bigger school. But, that if they were willing to take a poo poo job like Purdue, they probably already would have done it. I thought Troy was gone when Tennessee came calling a few years back, he was the best candidate, and that was an opportunity to good to pass up. You can pass up a poor to middling Power 5 school though. I am really surprised that Baylor hasn't come sniffing around Calhoun though. He would give them an image makeover, and Air Force pretty heavily recruits Texas, so he's familiar with the area.

He accepted the job at Tennessee, and then they offered it to Derek loving Dooley because donors.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Whoever pays the most money. If we are counting ND (even though they are kind of in the AAC but not really), them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah if you want to consider independent teams then it's ND in a landslide, but BYU now has their own TV deal with ESPN, and Houston and UCF/USF are in great markets where you're going to get plenty of attention too.

• Locked thread