Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Commie NedFlanders posted:

so far in my game i am constantly broke and scraping by

Early on, yeah. Soon enough you'll be swimming in it (until you try to upgrade to grandmaster armor, when you will feel broke again)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:

so the whole "ignore the quest level" advice doesn't work when you're playing on THRILLHO BONESTORM difficulty

Death march caps off on difficulty early (e.g level ~10) and becomes reasonable for the rest of the game. The lower settings don't make getting money easier. Fistfights are hilariously untuned and might catch you by surprise if you don't have Undying slotted.

You'll still get your clock cleaned regardless if you do a quest 8 levels above your current level but people are encouraging you to do quests for the hell of it.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

so the whole "ignore the quest level" advice doesn't work when you're playing on THRILLHO BONESTORM difficulty

'Ignore quest level' is mostly people saying not to worry about outlevelling the side quests, that they're still worth doing. Definitely don't do quests that are more than 5 levels above your current level, they'll be really difficult.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Ainsley McTree posted:

The best part is that that's like 80% true

Even the 'run from church bells' probably has a grain of truth in it, given that Witchers have enhanced senses and probably don't like it much if they're standing too close when the bells ring.

Joda
Apr 24, 2010

When I'm off, I just like to really let go and have fun, y'know?

Fun Shoe
Come to think of it, I don't remember seeing any village churches in The Witcher 3. There was the cathedral or whatever in Novigrad, but beyond that, nothing comes to mind. Am I just misremembering? Seems weird if the lore mentions them.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I bowed to Emhyr because I thought it would be funny. And it totally was.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

But like you said, if he gave you infinite money, then I would totally do it.

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006

dud root posted:

Jeez 1 silver for a drowner, and 4 for a vampire. I'd be farming drowners all day erryday if I were a witcher. Vampires are way more than 4x the risk

^^on that note, has anyone even managed to successfully bargain in the far right of the slider?

I've noticed that when a contract comes from the government or military then the quest giver will tend to agree to higher prices, sometimes even the maximum price. They probably don't care because it's not really their money.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

Joda posted:

Come to think of it, I don't remember seeing any village churches in The Witcher 3. There was the cathedral or whatever in Novigrad, but beyond that, nothing comes to mind. Am I just misremembering? Seems weird if the lore mentions them.

There's a church on the eastern side of the large lake that HoS added north-east of Novigrad iirc. Most villages just have a nearby shrine however that serves as the location for worship of whatever local tradition proscribes.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I hung this in the dead centre in Corvo Bianco.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Senjuro posted:

I've noticed that when a contract comes from the government or military then the quest giver will tend to agree to higher prices, sometimes even the maximum price. They probably don't care because it's not really their money.

The best example of this is any of the nobles or knights in Toussaint, who will often accept the maximum haggle price because they're absolutely loaded and have no idea what the value of money actually is.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Joda posted:

There were some in Witcher 1 and 2.

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

John Charity Spring posted:

'Ignore quest level' is mostly people saying not to worry about outlevelling the side quests, that they're still worth doing. Definitely don't do quests that are more than 5 levels above your current level, they'll be really difficult.

this makes more sense, i'm barely at level 5 so i can't really outlevel anything.

i have the bloody baron quest line available now but I'm having more fun currently just riding around raiding bandit camps and exploring for random loot and treasures

it's fun to stumble across letters and open up a weird little side quest

i'll post what i think of the bloody baron when i do get to it though

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

this makes more sense, i'm barely at level 5 so i can't really outlevel anything.

i have the bloody baron quest line available now but I'm having more fun currently just riding around raiding bandit camps and exploring for random loot and treasures

it's fun to stumble across letters and open up a weird little side quest

i'll post what i think of the bloody baron when i do get to it though

You'll run into a lot of stuff that's too high level for you, this applies to the game generally but especially in Velen if you need to level up, follow the main quest.

So yeah there's totally no rush, but if you start feeling you really want a few more levels, work on Bloody Baron and you'll get those fast.

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

Pellisworth posted:

You'll run into a lot of stuff that's too high level for you, this applies to the game generally but especially in Velen if you need to level up, follow the main quest.

So yeah there's totally no rush, but if you start feeling you really want a few more levels, work on Bloody Baron and you'll get those fast.

cool thanks for the tip, yeah i'm finding myself with a ton of side quests that are way too high level

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

cool thanks for the tip, yeah i'm finding myself with a ton of side quests that are way too high level

Yeah, just put them on the back burner until you're high level enough to do them. The game is pretty punishing if you try to punch above your weight but there's more than enough level appropriate stuff to do at any given time so that there's never a gap where it feels like you're just grinding to get enough xp to do something that's actually fun. Everything is fun in this game (except the skellige ocean ?'s)

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

There will always be sidequests which are higher level than you, but if you're even vaguely completionist about sidequests (I don't even mean the ?s around the map) then you'll soon outstrip the level requirements for the main quest and a good chunk of sidequests before you can do them. Don't worry about that! Just do them when you want, even if you're 5 levels ahead.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Anyone playing the Gwent CCG standlone game? If there is enough interest maybe I'll make a thread.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Bought this game on sale (complete edition, 25$) and I'm in the first are and it already has me enamored. This is the first time in a long time I've actually wanted to go through and uncover all the question marks on a map, and I'm only in the first area of the game.

I do have one quick question, mostly about the expansion content.

How do those work? Do I go into them when I finish the game? The game was unclear when I started, other than saying I can play them standalone if I really wanted to. Also if there is something I should know before getting in deep?

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Paul Zuvella posted:

Bought this game on sale (complete edition, 25$) and I'm in the first are and it already has me enamored. This is the first time in a long time I've actually wanted to go through and uncover all the question marks on a map, and I'm only in the first area of the game.

I do have one quick question, mostly about the expansion content.

How do those work? Do I go into them when I finish the game? The game was unclear when I started, other than saying I can play them standalone if I really wanted to. Also if there is something I should know before getting in deep?

Play the vanilla game first, then tackle the expansions (the big ones, Hearts of Stone and Blood and Wine--the other little additions are fine at any level). They are intended as end-game content.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Just save the expansions for post-game. HoS could be played before and still have it make sense (it has dialogue for it) but I think it should be saved. B&W serves as a proper Epilogue to the series and should be saved.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

I mostly mean how do you access them. Is it like a standalone thing or a new place I go in game. If this question becomes obvious while playing the game, just let me know that.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Paul Zuvella posted:

I mostly mean how do you access them. Is it like a standalone thing or a new place I go in game. If this question becomes obvious while playing the game, just let me know that.

You will find relevant contracts on bulletin boards.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

The DLC quests also have different colors in your quest journal as well, so you don't need to worry about accidentally starting it by mistake.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
Quests will show up in your journal pointing you to the bulletin boards that steinrokkan mentioned, too.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Is there a mod that enables an indoor full screen map? I play with no HUD other than the simple 3d marker in Witcher senses from friendlyHUD, but I get hopelessly lost in caves.

It would be cool if friendlyHUD showed the best route to take by road as a 3d dotted line in game, but I doubt that will ever happen.

Go-Gurt For Dinner
Jul 8, 2013

Popete posted:

Anyone playing the Gwent CCG standlone game? If there is enough interest maybe I'll make a thread.

Yes. Please do.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I think a separate thread for that would be cool for both people who are playing the game and want to talk about it, and for people who are not playing the game and do not want to read posts about it :)

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Ainsley McTree posted:

I think a separate thread for that would be cool for both people who are playing the game and want to talk about it, and for people who are not playing the game and do not want to read posts about it :)

I think it might be good to have a spoiler-free gameplay / newbie player thread where new players are directed and get advice. It's great that everyone is still putting spoilers tags on stuff, but the game's been out for well over a year so it'd be nice to maybe have this thread be general discussion about the game, franchise, card game, etc.

I'd be willing to contribute to an OP and move gameplay talk to another thread. The game is all about storytelling and it'd be great to have a spoiler-free thread for first time players.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Somebody just make the thread for the stand-alone Gwent game already and this one will stay as it is.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Someone should create a thread about asking if there should be a separate thread for the Gwent standalone. Almost as hot a topic as Yenn vs Triss

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

gwent raus

Sanzuo
May 7, 2007

Just got this on sale. If I just ignored the card game completely would I be missing much?

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Sanzuo posted:

Just got this on sale. If I just ignored the card game completely would I be missing much?

You'd be missing the card game and two card tournament quests.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Sanzuo posted:

No.

Sanzuo
May 7, 2007

Cool. Per someone's suggestion I put the combat difficulty to max and it definitely makes fights more interesting than mashing quick attack to win.

Any other newbie tips? I don't think the game explains how potions and oils work well. I just realized you don't have to recreate them when you're out and they just refill when you rest.

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

The only thing I hate more than hippie neo-liberal fascists and anarchists are the hypocrite fat cat suits they grow up to become.
I'm playing through this game for the second time and I've noticed so many things that I missed the first time around.

I just did the Tower of Mice mission, and dropped off the ghosts remains at her ex-lover's house. Once you do you realize the ghost was playing you to get revenge on him and murders him with a bunch of rats. Love how dark this game can be.

Another thing I never noticed is the first time you go to the Inn at the crossroads when you first approach these peasants they run inside to hide your pig, then if you don't kill the bandits who confront you at the bar when you leave I'm pretty sure they're about the steal the pig and kill the peasants.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Sanzuo posted:

Cool. Per someone's suggestion I put the combat difficulty to max and it definitely makes fights more interesting than mashing quick attack to win.

Any other newbie tips? I don't think the game explains how potions and oils work well. I just realized you don't have to recreate them when you're out and they just refill when you rest.

Yeah, alchemy items don't need to be recrafted they just refill when you meditate for the cost of one alcohol for everything. So be very liberal in your usage of alchemy, it rules and is easy and cheap to refill infinitely.

Other newbie tips:

-Always be mobile in combat, especially on higher difficulties where enemies will kill you in a couple of hits. Get in a couple of sword hits, 2-3, then use some form of crowd control, a Sign or bomb, and back off. Rinse, repeat, be a dodgy fucker. You can't face-tank enemies, except maybe with higher-level gear and specific talent setups.
-Take your time and explore everything. This game is extremely atmospheric and there are endless small touches that make it great. There are no timers on any quests, so just do whatever you want whenever you want. The core strength of this game is its storytelling in terms of writing, voice acting, and animation. Don't skip dialogue, listen to every option because you'll learn cool, amusing, or depressing stuff.
-Sell gear, the best gear until the expansions are crafted Witcher sets. You can hoard crafting components because they don't weigh anything.
-On higher difficulties, your HP does not regenerate when you meditate. So you'll want to get the Sun and Stars or Gourmet abilities, eat food, and drink potions to heal yourself. It's only really a pain in the early game.
-XP and quest rewards don't matter. There is enough XP in just the main quest chain for you to hit max level, you can just critical-path the main story and still end up at level 32/33 the same as if you'd done a bunch of side quests. There is wayyyyy more XP available in the game than necessary. Also, quests usually reward jack poo poo in terms of cash or valuable items. The key is to stop caring about the XP, money, or item rewards of quests and do them because they're entertaining. You have to break the RPG min/max habit of chasing stats and rewards and just do quests because they're cool.
-I personally think it's best to spend your first few ability points in the Signs tree to buy some alternate Sign abilities. Each of your Signs has a secondary mode you can buy, you hold the button down. Alternate Yrden is a lightning turret that zaps enemies for good damage, interrupts them, intercepts projectiles, knocks down fliers, and fucks up Wraiths which are one of the scarier enemies early-game. It's really really good. Alternate Quen gives you the ability to heal in combat and is also very nice. Buying the first-tier Axii skill allows you to Jedi Mind Trick in conversations which is good 90% of the time.
-Some minor spoilers about resolving a few quests:
Late in the base game, you will have a timed conversation option to "forcefully shove" a character. Probably don't do that, it will abruptly end the quest chain.
(HoS expansion) Both of these are just for entertainment/comedic value. At the wedding, the very first thing you should do is LOSE the card game to the halflings. A little later, try bringing wine as a gift to a certain lady friend.

You are also required to post your reactions to the Bloody Baron / Family Matters quest chain. It's the first real highlight ( :smith: :stare: :barf: ) point of the game.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
GOG added the GOTY Edition as a separate product in my library for free because I own the The Witcher 3 and it's expansions.

Thanks? I mean it's a nice gesture, but what's the point of having the game twice?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WirelessPillow
Jan 12, 2012

Look Ma, no wires!

OhFunny posted:

GOG added the GOTY Edition as a separate product in my library for free because I own the The Witcher 3 and it's expansions.

Thanks? I mean it's a nice gesture, but what's the point of having the game twice?

One download file instead of 30?