Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler
hi yall im back from my self imposed break of d&d since politics has made me a bit overinvested in dumb poo poo

merry exmarx posted:

extremely good that uber is now marketing driver background checks as innovation

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Badger of Basra posted:

I hope a dog comes by and pees on you

rude

Also I'm.not.lying down in the street

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

but as a member of elite Africa thread posters I will let that slide badge

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde

mandatory lesbian posted:

requesting one fuckbasket for end of the year run checks, repeat, requesting one fuckbasket for end of the year run checks, thank you

attention, would the employee who loaned out the fuckballoon from the supply closet please let Janice in Accounting know, thanks

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

icantfindaname posted:

i mean japan has a lot of problems but i've always found it weird how widely acceptable it was to be openly bigoted and/or orientalist towards that country, you know? like borderline dr seuss caricature level sneering bigotry is normal and widespread, as is unbelievably credulous speculating about the essential character of the japanese mind like you're rudyard kipling from 1890 talking about the essential character of the irish race or something. i was listening to npr and they had some woman on talking about the new ghost in the shell movie and she basically made the assertion that anime characters look white because japanese people are self hating and feel racially inferior to white people, and it's like really? i mean maybe, who knows, but you'd better have a hell of a good explanation for a statement like that, backed up by actual social science, and yet there was none, and the announcer dude just sort of nodded and said "truly the japanese are a mysterious people"

or would you, as the degree-holding authority, endorse that the japanese people are a diseased, fascistic hivemind incapable of rational, individual thought?

I've heard that one applied to a wide variety of non-white countries. Usually the explanation offered is that they were influenced by European empires' cultural and economic imperialism somehow, sounds kinda dumb to me but I can't be bothered to track down whatever dumb source that idea came from originally

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
Anime characters are white because much like anime, white people are bad.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Randler posted:

Anime characters are white because much like anime, white people are bad.

well, that one is convincing, i'll give you that

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Main Paineframe posted:

I've heard that one applied to a wide variety of non-white countries. Usually the explanation offered is that they were influenced by European empires' cultural and economic imperialism somehow, sounds kinda dumb to me but I can't be bothered to track down whatever dumb source that idea came from originally

giving him attention is a mistake.

I think exmarx killing uspol is an attempt to kill this thread

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

icantfindaname posted:

i mean japan has a lot of problems but i've always found it weird how widely acceptable it was to be openly bigoted and/or orientalist towards that country, you know? like borderline dr seuss caricature level sneering bigotry is normal and widespread, as is unbelievably credulous speculating about the essential character of the japanese mind like you're rudyard kipling from 1890 talking about the essential character of the irish race or something. i was listening to npr and they had some woman on talking about the new ghost in the shell movie and she basically made the assertion that anime characters look white because japanese people are self hating and feel racially inferior to white people, and it's like really? i mean maybe, who knows, but you'd better have a hell of a good explanation for a statement like that, backed up by actual social science, and yet there was none, and the announcer dude just sort of nodded and said "truly the japanese are a mysterious people"

or would you, as the degree-holding authority, endorse that the japanese people are a diseased, fascistic hivemind incapable of rational, individual thought?
I don't have tons of insight as to their essential nature or whatever, I can catalog the reasons I'm not a fan if you want but it's not that novel and in any case it's a bad idea if you're going to go bad faith scorched earth on it with baggage momentum from other insults you've endured or your distaste for discussing "cultures in general" is such that you don't brook it at all. Seems pretty likely to be a bad idea!

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
https://twitter.com/brandyljensen/status/803482878655037440

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

I love how millenials are the go-to when it comes time to blame bad things happening.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
it's a Joke

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Maybe you should spend less time on "jokes" and more on buying houses, millenial marx.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

pangstrom posted:

I don't have tons of insight as to their essential nature or whatever, I can catalog the reasons I'm not a fan if you want but it's not that novel and in any case it's a bad idea if you're going to go bad faith scorched earth on it with baggage momentum from other insults you've endured or your distaste for discussing "cultures in general" is such that you don't brook it at all. Seems pretty likely to be a bad idea!

I mean like I said of course Japan has many huge problems, I'm just saying there seems to a big heap of undifferentiated bigotry and orientalism on top of justified criticisms of those problems, which people just don't really give a poo poo about because they don't really like the country and it's far away and there's no consequence to it? Not arguing in bad faith or trying to draw you into anything, genuinely curious what you think. And I probably do have baggage here, but just from reading this stuff for years and basically never seeing any pushback to it at all

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Dec 1, 2016

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

giving him attention is a mistake.

I think exmarx killing uspol is an attempt to kill this thread

dont be an idiot

or make me have to point out that you started out in uspol too

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
if you think anime characters look white you should see how europeans and westerners are portrayed in anime lol

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
kalstrams, if you haven't done it yet, do Fungal Grotto. It has one of the most :black101: objectives in an MMO.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
exmarx killed uspol because it is horrible and is nothing more than the leftist/liberal screaming match clearinghouse

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Berke Negri posted:

dont be an idiot

or make me have to point out that you started out in uspol too

i was born of milk

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Are you Pauly Shore irl?

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown
uspol is a disease, with which we are all infected

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

icantfindaname posted:

I mean like I said of course Japan has many huge problems, I'm just saying there seems to a big heap of undifferentiated bigotry and orientalism on top of justified criticisms of those problems, which people just don't really give a poo poo about because they don't really like the country and there's no consequence for it? Not arguing in bad faith or trying to draw you into anything, genuinely curious what you think
Okay, let me take a swing at it tonight after work.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Eugene V. Dabs posted:

uspol is a disease, with which we are all infected

I'm clean *surreptitiously rolls sleeve cuffs up to cover wrists*

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Randler posted:

kalstrams, if you haven't done it yet, do Fungal Grotto. It has one of the most :black101: objectives in an MMO.

seriously what's your @ randler

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

pangstrom posted:

Okay, let me take a swing at it tonight after work.

Alright, cool

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Berke Negri posted:

seriously what's your @ randler

Same handle as the one you never accepted my friendship request on Warframe with. :colbert:

@Randwandler

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

Randler posted:

Same handle as the one you never accepted my friendship request on Warframe with. :colbert:

@Randwandler

dumb name i m o

fight me 1v1 i'll roll u

(im @rafza)

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

so randler what happens when the Nazi dude wins the Austrian presidency?

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

I'm gonna show SA-kun my shitposting!
I think we know

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

icantfindaname posted:

The Codex Teutonicus does not deal with presidents, only chancellors.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

boner confessor posted:

exmarx killed uspol because it is horrible and is nothing more than the leftist/liberal screaming match clearinghouse

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Chelb posted:

keijo sounds like a really loving skeevy anime so i'm not surprised goons love it

it's ironic rotd, you are sophisticated enough to understand the metaphor

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
the asses are a metaphor for the brutalizing effects of capitalism

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

granted this is a yglesias but

https://twitter.com/mattyglesias/status/804382522700349440

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

icantfindaname posted:

going off seyss-inquart they exist for two days and then get anschlussed

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

maybe if keith Ellison becomes dnc chair and does whatever he wants to do with a 50-state strategy he can help turn texas democrats into something slightly

just slightly

less ineffectual

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

...what am I saying

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

I knew you were cool Hollis

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

I scooped matty on this story in the texas thread SMH

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Badger of Basra posted:

I scooped matty on this story in the texas thread SMH