Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like Alien 3 "Assembly Cut"?
Yes, Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was tits.
No, Alien and Aliens are the only valid Alien films.
Nah gently caress you Alien 3 sucks in all its forms.
View Results

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Movie snobs are the biggest savages of all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

RogueTM posted:

You don't remember any of this because you walked out of Prometheus.

That's not even aliens though. This is lovely sci fi horror drama movie they had to attach the Alien name too.

oldpainless posted:

I watched all of Alone in the Dark and Battlefield Earth in theaters.

The staff gave me standing ovations as I left.

There are far worse movies. Round of applause for the people who watched the entire dancing scene from Spiderman 3.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Dec 1, 2016

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Tenzarin posted:

That's not even aliens though. This is lovely sci fi horror drama movie they had to attach the Alien name too.

The Alien franchise is whatever Ridley Scott says it is, you either have to go with it or just accept that Alien movies are no longer for you and stop watching them.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

ruddiger posted:

I too watch movies in a half-invested state and form half-baked opinions off of my fragmented memory of what I think I watched. :shepface:

People who walk out of movies are savages, and are just as bad people who leave sporting events early. I don't give a gently caress if it's a blow out and my favorite player suffered a season-ending injury in the first minute, I'm still gonna watch that game.

Can't wait to see how many people in this thread admit to texting during movies or constantly checking their phone too (this goes for sitting at home too).

Your opinion is personally skewed

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Basebf555 posted:

The Alien franchise is whatever Ridley Scott says it is, you either have to go with it or just accept that Alien movies are no longer for you and stop watching them.

I'm glad the studios brought him back to end it.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Me too. I'm happy he's making at least one real Alien film. I've been waiting for this moment almost my whole life.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yea, even if you hate Prometheus and Covenant, at least we don't have to always imagine what could have been. There was a time, especially after the success of Gladiator, when it seemed like Scott would never do another sci-fi film again.

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Lowtax banned me because he thought I was trolling by acting really stupid. I wasn't acting.

CelticPredator posted:

Well it's canon and the direction the series is going so.

Gross.

Basebf555 posted:

Yea, this poo poo that happened in a movie that I didn't even watch is the worst. Thank god someone condensed it all down into half a sentence so I didn't have to suffer through it myself!

Is it more complicated and better done than is being suggested? Go ahead and defend it, I'll wait.

I'm not trying to be a purist here but we started out with creepy spider aliens that force impregnate you and that turn into phallic murder aliens and it is cool and interesting. After Alien many were asking, "Where do the eggs come from? Where do the aliens come from?" Aliens 2 showed us they came from a queen alien. It was very awesome and I actually bought a Ripley and queen alien action figure set when I was a youth because I was (and still am) a huge dork.

So this "I don't know, spores and goop?" Stuff just doesn't appeal to me. Its just not as visceral and cool. I'm not saying it is an aberration that should not be I just think it is not as good.

I don't mind it being a thing we explore but it shouldn't be the same kind of alien since we already know where the xenomorphs come from (vague space and queens.)

But I'm not in charge of the franchise so gently caress me and my opinions. The people with the rights and resources can just go loving crazy with it and there's nothing I can do to stop them.

But it really is dumb and I'm not gonna like it. (I will probably watch it pirated super legally so I can be a piece of poo poo and complain about it.)

RogueTM posted:

You don't remember any of this because you walked out of Prometheus.

That looks :krad: tbh. I may try watching it all the way through soon. I left when the android (I assume) was just like, "Welp, this movie needs a humanoid villain. Time to be evil now." I felt it kind of came out of nowhere? But I've been told by my sister it's very well hinted at and that I should go back in and experience it for its own sake and on its own merits without connecting it to Aliens. I'll see about doing that soonish and post about my experience.

Shanty posted:

You want more preg stuff in your sci fi movies and you walked out of Prometheus? I'm beginning to think pregmovie fans don't like pregmovies.

I'm not sure I'd go so far as to say I like preg stuff. I like that the movie takes a female fear (pregnancy) and makes people nominally unphased by it (men) afraid of it and victims of it. I like that it's very, "Hey guys, this is a terrible thing that really sucks isn't it?" I appreciate that. If you want to simplify that down to "Jenner likes preg stuff" I think you're kinda misrepresenting me. I like what it symbolises and its message.

I'm a way bigger fan of abortion stuff than preg stuff. :kheldragar:

Like, I thought the part in Prometheus where the chick has the medical machine take the alien out of her ruled. I think it was one of the few times someone in that movie actually made a good decision.

Xenomrph posted:

I've never walked out of the theatre, but I don't go to the theatre to see a ton of movies and I try to be real confident that I'm going to enjoy it before I buy a ticket. I've switched off plenty of movies on Netflix or whatever, but at least I'm not out $8 or something every time I do that.

Oh poo poo, I started a walking out derail. I'm sorry. Um, American Sign Language is actually my first language and I am notoriously lazy about identifying my situation when I say things. I did not mean to imply I walked out of a movie theater. I did not see this film in the theater because I did not think I'd like it and I didn't want to spend $8 on it. I went to a friend's place and they had it on DVD and I left and went to play Diablo II when the android (I assume) went evil out of nowhere.

I have never walked out on a movie before. (The closest I got was during Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them where I actually partially rose from my seat at one point but was pulled back down by my partner.* I think my disgust and desire to free myself from the torment was justified but I'm...well not glad but... you know I'm not sure how I feel about sticking it out to the end tbh. I don't feel like I gained anything by staying? Seeing it all the way through just prolonged my suffering and gave me more things to point out and dislike. But this is not the FBaWtFT thread so...) But I don't begrudge a person their decision to do so and I while I admit not seeing a movie in its entirety does mean they don't get the full experience (and maybe the movie redeems itself after they bail) it does not invalidate their criticisms of what they did see.

I never said Prometheus was crap, though I did imply it by admitting I walked out. There was some stuff I liked about it but I ultimately got fed up with it. :shrug: My sister and Base saying it's actually good Sci-fi are leading me to want to give it a second chance, and I will.

*I demanded and got a refund for Fantastic Beasts but I'll never get those two hours of my life back.

Jenner fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Dec 1, 2016

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Oh poo poo you demand refunds for movies too? That's a whole different ballpark, you really are the worst!

Edit: If you're wondering, Prometheus is somewhat popular around here, and I love it, but most of the average movie going public agrees with you so its not like you have a crazy opinion. I just disagree with it very strongly.

Basebf555 fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Dec 1, 2016

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
Yeah, even I can't abide that poo poo.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

What was the basis for demanding a refund?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I used to hate Prometheus but this thread and a 2nd watch actually sort of changed my mind. It's now "A pretty ok scify movie with great visuals and some dubious alien universe connections"

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

oldpainless posted:

Just walk out and ask for one.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

oldpainless posted:

He/she thought the movie was terrible. That's about it from what I can tell. Luckily I've never worked for a real movie theatre where you probably have to cave and issue the refund, I worked for a few semesters at an on-campus college theatre and we'd tell people to gently caress right off if they tried that poo poo.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Growing up I had a friend who's dad was a huge nerdy movie buff with strong opinions on movies, often to a terrible degree. Almost every time we went to a movie with him there would be a refund. The sound wasn't quite right, the projector shut off 2 seconds before the technical very end of the credits, the focus wasn't perfect, a roll change was sloppy, the movie was bad. Every drat time. As a kid I thought this was awesome because free movie! My friend's dad was so smart and knew all the right jargon to say to the poor teenager that would then give him his money back.

He's also one of those people who you can never tell how he'll feel about a movie and no opinion is safe. I learned to never say if I liked or didn't like a movie because he would either randomly love poo poo as the most brilliant work of cinema ever, or absolutely hate it and get into a near rage towards anyone who didn't hate it as much as him. He'd really have fit in in this sub-forum.

\/ Yes

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Dec 1, 2016

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Was he fat? I bet he was fat.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Jenner posted:

That looks :krad: tbh. I may try watching it all the way through soon. I left when the android (I assume) was just like, "Welp, this movie needs a humanoid villain. Time to be evil now." I felt it kind of came out of nowhere? But I've been told by my sister it's very well hinted at and that I should go back in and experience it for its own sake and on its own merits without connecting it to Aliens. I'll see about doing that soonish and post about my experience.

You got me thinking, why does Ridley Scott hate robots? And why does he have to kill them like they are highlanders?

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Lowtax banned me because he thought I was trolling by acting really stupid. I wasn't acting.

oldpainless posted:

It is the first time I have ever demanded a refund and hopefully it will be the last. If the theater had said, "Too bad, you took a risk and got burned." I would have been a bit upset but not raised a fuss or started a riot or anything and just left.

I'm not sure what the "rules" are for asking for a refund. My understanding was that if you had every reason to believe the movie might be at least somewhat good and instead it was not good (or even terrible) you can request a refund and the theater is not required to grant it.

If you went to see Bee Movie or The Secret Life of Pets or whatever and were expecting like a profound emotionally moving experience instead of awful hosed up poo poo (Bee Movie) or zany animal randomness (tSLoP) you have only yourself to blame.

In my case I expected Fantastic Beasts to at least be okay. I left the movie incredibly disappointed and I did not feel the movie was worth my money. I felt incredibly mislead. This is the first time I have ever gone to a movie where I have been so horribly disappointed. I had all the evidence to suggest it was not a big risk (I am not a huge rabid fan but I had mostly enjoyed the other Harry Potter films and even read the books.) But apparently it was a risk and I got burned. Like I said, if the theater had said, "gently caress off" I would have.

If it makes it any better I really didn't feel good about doing it? I took no joy in it and I would have rather watched a good movie.

I don't plan on seeing the future movies in the series now in theaters after this experience and I think I've become much more hesitant to take the risk since because I really wrung my hands about Moana and Arrival (I ultimately caved and liked both.)

Sorry for being lovely? It takes a lot for me to do stuff like this though, it really does.

Baronjutter posted:

A friend's jerk dad who could not be satisfied and had strong opinions

You don't need me to tell you this since it's obvious you already know but your friend's dad sucks.

Tenzarin posted:

You got me thinking, why does Ridley Scott hate robots? And why does he have to kill them like they are highlanders?

I really like how in Aliens Ripley just flat out says, "gently caress no, not another android." Or something to that effect because that was pretty much my thought at the time too.

Bishop turned out being alright though!

Jenner fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Dec 1, 2016

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Jenner posted:

It is the first time I have ever demanded a refund and hopefully it will be the last. If the theater had said, "Too bad, you took a risk and got burned." I would have been a bit upset but not raised a fuss or started a riot or anything and just left.

I'm not sure what the "rules" are for asking for a refund. My understanding was that if you had every reason to believe the movie might be at least somewhat good and instead it was not good (or even terrible) you can request a refund and the theater is not required to grant it.

If you went to see Bee Movie or The Secret Life of Pets or whatever and were expecting like a profound emotionally moving experience instead of awful hosed up poo poo (Bee Movie) or zany animal randomness (tSLoP) you have only yourself to blame.

In my case I expected Fantastic Beasts to at least be okay. I left the movie incredibly disappointed and I did not feel the movie was worth my money. I felt incredibly mislead. This is the first time I have ever gone to a movie where I have been so horribly disappointed. I had all the evidence to suggest it was not a big risk (I am not a huge rabid fan but I had mostly enjoyed the other Harry Potter films and even read the books.) But apparently it was a risk and I got burned. Like I said, if the theater had said, "gently caress off" I would have.

If it makes it any better I really didn't feel good about doing it? I took no joy in it and I would have rather watched a good movie.

I don't plan on seeing the future movies in the series now in theaters after this experience and I think I've become much more hesitant to take the risk since because I really wrung my hands about Moana and Arrival (I ultimately caved and liked both.)

Sorry for being lovely? It takes a lot for me to do stuff like this though, it really does.

You don't need me to tell you this since it's obvious you already know but your friend's dad sucks.

I really like how in Aliens Ripley just flat out says, "gently caress no, not another android." Or something to that effect because that was pretty much my thought at the time too.

Bishop turned out being alright though!

The directors cut of Bee Movie is loving fantastic tho.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
How is Bee Movie "hosed up poo poo"?

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Lots of things, for example every time they say bee it gets faster.

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011

Biomute posted:

The directors cut of Bee Movie is loving fantastic tho.

There is no loving way. Nothing can polish a turd that foul.

UmOk posted:

How is Bee Movie "hosed up poo poo"?

Bee enlightened.

I picked up a copy of Prometheus for $2 :feelsgood: I'll try to find some time to watch it.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

I literally had no idea you could demand a refund at the theater because you thought the film was bad.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

MrMojok posted:

I literally had no idea you could demand a refund at the theater because you thought the film was bad.

My first job as a teenager was working at a movie theatre, and if a guest walked out of a movie and demanded a refund within the first half hour of the movie, we'd give them the refund.

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

Yeah, but demanding a refund after you watched the whole movie? That's like sending your steak back because it's overdone, but the plate is empty and you already ate it.

Amphigory
Feb 6, 2005

If you ever meet George Clooney be sure to ask for a refund for your Batman and Robin ticket.

He's still dishing them out supposedly

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

punchymcpunch posted:

Yeah, but demanding a refund after you watched the whole movie? That's like sending your steak back because it's overdone, but the plate is empty and you already ate it.

Well yeah, we wouldn't give refunds past the half hour mark. Better hope your movie doesn't poo poo the bed in the last act!

Funny you should mention giving refunds on dinners people have eaten, I used to work for the Four Seasons and we actually did that for guests all the time.
No, seriously.
It was dumb and everyone knew it was dumb, but from a pure numbers standpoint we were bleeding the guests dry with our colossal markup on everything else so we could afford to give away the occasional free meal. It's good customer service to give away an $80 steak if the guest is going to turn around and book a $300 spa treatment because they're so happy with us.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

punchymcpunch posted:

People will absolutely do this, its loving terrible. Restaurant servers have to deal with worthless assholes probably more than any other profession that I can think of.

Basebf555 fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Dec 2, 2016

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

Wow, I gotta try that next time I go out for dinner. Thanks, guys!

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011

punchymcpunch posted:

So what is the option? If you walk out of the movie you're a savage and a monster who invalidates your opinion by not seeing the whole movie but if you tough it out and see the whole movie and then demand a refund because the movie was bad you are a jackass and the scum of humanity.

So suffer through the whole bad movie and do nothing about it afterwards? Sure, I mean, I guess that's the "grown up and adult" thing to do. But if someone has had a truly bad experience (especially if they expected otherwise) they have a right to ask for a refund (and at times be rejected.)

Sure this honor system based on a purely subjective experience can and does get abused by jerks (like Base's friend's dad.) And yes, the person who eats the whole steak and then says it sucks and demands a refund is an rear end in a top hat. But we have already established that the steak to movie comparison is not equivalent because sending a bad steak back after a bite or two is fine (I hope) but walking out on a bad movie is apparently criminal.

So what are a person's choices?

Perhaps never watching the theatrical release of any movie ever? That just seems excessive.

Finding a few reviewers you generally agree with and waiting for them to weigh in before you take the plunge? That definitely reduces the chances but doesn't completely remove them.

And pirating legally acquiring very legally every movie you are even remotely curious about and then, if you feel it deserves it, seeing it again in theaters to financially support it is the millennial way. But that too can be abused due to the same issues a movie theater refund has. IE: That some people still won't pay money for a movie even if they loved it. (I'm still a bit miffed at a friend who "legally acquired" Fury Road, gushed about it, and then refused to go see it in theaters.) And what'cha gonna do? (At this point I could go on a tangent about piracy and its "damage" to industry but this post is not about that so I won't.)

I guess my best option given my situation was to either: Walk out of the movie part way through and request a refund. (Thus being the biggest monster. Though I remind you I did rise to stand and was pulled back into my seat by my partner so if I had to leave I probably would have had to make a small disturbance. Which would have made me an even bigger monster?)

Or sit through the whole bad movie and then just go home and let it keep my money (that it most definitely did not earn or deserve) because I took a chance and got burned.

I'm sounding like an entitled piece of poo poo here and for that I'm sorry. It was my first time ever requesting a refund and I hope I never have to again.

But seriously, you should not have to pay for a terrible experience. If you had a terrible experience you should get a refund (or at least request one on principle.) Because, while complaining about the movie on the internet sends the message that it is bad to the consumer. Getting a refund sends the message higher up (though they probably don't give a poo poo unless it happens in significant numbers. But at least you don't loving pay for a bad movie.)

Jesus this post is huge. When I first watched Aliens 3 I hated it but after thinking about it awhile and looking into why it bothered me so much and what I didn't like about it (as well as evaluating what its intention was and what it was trying to do) I kinda came around on it. Now I think it's okay.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Jenner posted:

So suffer through the whole bad movie and do nothing about it afterwards? Sure, I mean, I guess that's the "grown up and adult" thing to do. But if someone has had a truly bad experience (especially if they expected otherwise) they have a right to ask for a refund (and at times be rejected.)

A films is a piece of art, there's no such thing as a "truly bad" experience. If you had a bad experience, that's your personal taste but the movie theatre isn't responsible for that. That's why sucking it up and just taking the loss is the adult thing to do, because adults understand that some things that we pay for are subjective experiences, and once you've had your experience(good or bad), the opportunity for a refund has past.

Walk out of all the movies you want, it personally irks me when people talk about doing it but I'm just some rear end in a top hat on the internet, don't take your marching orders from me or anyone else here. You're overthinking what was just a little light ball busting.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
There's no such thing as a "truly bad" steak. It's just a matter of personal taste.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

UmOk posted:

There's no such thing as a "truly bad" steak. It's just a matter of personal taste.
A steak with seasoning you thought you'd like when you read the menu but didn't is different than a steak that was not prepared properly.

A movie that you thought you'd like based on trailers but didn't is different than one that was unwatchable due to technical errors like a broken projector.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Slugworth posted:

A movie that you thought you'd like based on trailers but didn't is different than one that was unwatchable due to technical errors like a broken projector.

And of course movie theatres understand this, you don't usually have to ask for a refund if the projector breaks, they just give them out to everyone because that's the obvious thing to do.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

If this had come out in theaters I'd have asked for my money back
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gallowwalkers

By far the worst movie I've seen in my entire life. As a hobby me and my friends used to rent every single garbage scify or fantasy or action movie ever made and none came close to being as bad as this. It's got that maddening "was this made by aliens? Was this made by someone who's never seen a movie or a human??" sense like "The Room" except worse.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i can't stop watching a movie or reading a book until i get to the end no matter how bad it is. i have to know how it ends.

i saw darkness falls in the theatre and didn't even walk out of that.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Groovelord Neato posted:

i can't stop watching a movie or reading a book until i get to the end no matter how bad it is. i have to know how it ends.

i saw darkness falls in the theatre and didn't even walk out of that.

Edit: Mistook Darkness Falls for Dreamcatcher

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I saw Darkness Falls AND Dreamcatcher in theatres and didn't walk out of either one. I win I guess?

I actually liked Darkness Falls, I went in completely blind and was pretty entertained throughout. It hasn't aged well at all though.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
I thought Darkness Falls was ok, but I think that was because I don't watch many horror movies, and I saw it with my crush at the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Darkness Falls was that Tooth Fairy one right? It had its moments when I saw it in the theater, I remember liking the opening. We caught it on TV a year or two back though and yeah, didn't watch for long.

I have Lights Out on our list to watch, that looks kinda similar in concept.