Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Notre Dame is effectively its own power conference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
I admittedly have lost track of him because it's Duke, but why has no one looked Cutcliff's way? Is it just because of age or has he said that he doesn't want to coach anywhere else?

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 43 minutes!
I thought the big thing about Niamatolo was how close he was to earning a Navy pension as a long-time employee, which was a big reason towards him turning down BYU. I'm sure Uncle Phil can make up that money if he went to Oregon, but given that Oregon wants to make a big splash, I can't see them hiring someone who runs an offense that the Duckies aren't at all setup to currently run.

Also, it is kinda a shock that Purdue and Les Miles aren't getting together. Short of some major dominoes falling there's going to be a lack of major jobs opening up (I can't think of anyone in the ACC getting fired, for example, and Les might be the only SEC coach getting canned from the current crop) and if Les is hellbent on getting right back into the game Purdue might be the most realistic P5 job available. Him going to Houston would be interesting as all get out if he's willing to run a modern offense, as I'm not sure he has another move in him and Houston wants some stability at the position.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Joey Freshwater posted:

I admittedly have lost track of him because it's Duke, but why has no one looked Cutcliff's way? Is it just because of age or has he said that he doesn't want to coach anywhere else?

He's 62, so not exactly the oldest, but I don't think he's shown a lot of interest in going elsewhere and Duke has to be thrilled with him on the whole.

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug

Joey Freshwater posted:

From what I can tell, there's 0 reason for him to leave that job. He's in the twilight of his career and has exceeded their expectations -- he can only get a more stressful/less stable job by moving.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Apparently Kevin Wilson is about to get fired from IU for some drat reason. Really don't understand that.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Eltoasto posted:

Apparently Kevin Wilson is about to get fired from IU for some drat reason. Really don't understand that.

So... *looks down at resume* ...Indiana. Where do you see yourself in five years?

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Eltoasto posted:

What the gently caress. Unless he hit a kid or did something gross behind the scenes that is dumb as hell. He's been great by IU standards.

poo poo Purdue should hire him.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 43 minutes!

Eltoasto posted:

Either Indiana's got someone (Fleck/Miles/etc..) on lock or they're doing something really, really dumb.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Kevin Wilson is a way better coach for Indiana than Les Miles would be

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Eltoasto posted:

Maybe IU figures this year is a good time to throw their hat in the ring while there aren't a ton of super prestigious head coach positions available.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

IU has no facilities and basically no support, and they're going to fire a coach who dragged them kicking and screaming to 2 straight bowl berths

:psyduck:

E: He signed a goddamn 6-year extension this January :psyduck::psyduck:

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
https://twitter.com/BruceFeldmanCFB/status/804417752077254657

This kinda came out of nowhere

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
https://twitter.com/bennettespn/status/804417006510411777

Soooo yeah probably something gross

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

ohhhhhhhh boy

Yeah it had to be something behind the scenes

Hello Towel
Aug 9, 2010

Jesus Christ, this looks bad. Wilson was the best coach we've had since Mallory. "Off the field issue" sounds really ominous.

DJExile posted:

IU has no facilities and basically no support

This hasn't been true for a few years now.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
Oooooh take that job, PJ

Hello Towel
Aug 9, 2010

One source just says it is "repeated clashes with administration," which seems...strange.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Hello Towel posted:

Jesus Christ, this looks bad. Wilson was the best coach we've had since Mallory. "Off the field issue" sounds really ominous.

Yeah, not good. You have to win national championships to be a shithead and get loved by IU fans.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Hello Towel posted:

This hasn't been true for a few years now.

Did they get an indoor place up? Entirely possible I'm loving them up with Purdue but I'd always heard they were kind of an afterthought compared to basketball.

Hello Towel
Aug 9, 2010

^^IU football has historically been just a way to pass the time between basketball seasons, but for the last few years (in part because of Wilson) there has been a concerted push to put money into the program and improve facilities. It's certainly still one of the worst programs in the Big Ten but it's miles ahead of where it was ten years ago.

Eltoasto posted:

Yeah, not good. You have to win national championships to be a shithead and get loved by IU fans.

Only the whitehairs from Bedford or whatever still venerate Knight. They're just really vocal.

It looks like DC Tom Allen will coach the Hoosiers in the bowl.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Hello Towel posted:

One source just says it is "repeated clashes with administration," which seems...strange.

If it's just that then they were dumb and he's gonna get at least a really good OC job soon (I'd rather have him than Kiffin if i were LSU), if not another head job. But we'll see what else comes out I guess

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
https://twitter.com/BTNTomDienhart/status/804423517144018944

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Mark Schlabaugh posted:

Indiana University officials have fired football coach Kevin Wilson and will announce his dismissal at a Thursday news conference, according to the Indianapolis Star and other media outlets.

A former Hoosiers player told ESPN on Thursday that he and at least five current IU players were interviewed about Wilson's treatment of players in meetings with athletics department officials and university lawyers during the past two weeks.

The university sent out a news alert on Thursday saying there would be a major news announcement regarding its football program at a 6 p.m. news conference.

holy poo poo he's the next tim beckman

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/mark_schlabach/status/804423651348992000

Doesn't sound good

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
https://twitter.com/mark_schlabach/status/804424274274492416

Okay yeah gently caress him

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
Former Indiana WR

https://twitter.com/3rzns/status/803781625901449216

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

DJExile posted:

holy poo poo he's the next tim beckman

lawyers are never good

:rip:

Hello Towel
Aug 9, 2010

Oh god. If he's pulling that kind of poo poo, he deserves to go. Don't care how successful he was for us.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Also adds a sad context to Diamond quitting to "take care of his brain"

Hello Towel
Aug 9, 2010

MourningView posted:

Also adds a sad context to Diamond quitting to "take care of his brain"

Yeah. In retrospect it seems like a warning sign.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

It's that where the guy who "retired" a couple of weeks ago played?

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!
Thanks to Bob Knight, IU now has to be one of the programs most careful about their coaches' treatment of athletes.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Is this like physical abuse or is this yelling at guys and making fun of them for having an alcoholic dad type stuff?

Hello Towel
Aug 9, 2010

PrinceRandom posted:

Yes, Zander Diamont.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

General Dog posted:

Is this like physical abuse or is this yelling at guys and making fun of them for having an alcoholic dad type stuff?

Neither one of these is in any way acceptable, FYI

Jivesauce
Nov 22, 2007

PrinceRandom posted:

Yeah, but to be clear that guy wasn't even the starter; he gets brought in to run the wildcat and throw the occasional bad pass, so that whole thing was a little odd. There was absolutely 0 chance he went to the NFL.

Hello Towel
Aug 9, 2010

General Dog posted:

It sounds like neither, really - more like rushing players back from concussions and injuries.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
I just hope this isn't a Mike Leach situation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Hello Towel posted:

It sounds like neither, really - more like rushing players back from concussions and injuries.

Wow, that's kind of worse

• Locked thread