Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Etrips posted:

So what is the real world battery life between the non-XL and XL n3ds with say, playing Pokemon S/M?

The XL N3DS lasts about an hour longer than the smaller N3DS on average.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

SeANMcBAY posted:

The XL N3DS lasts about an hour longer than the smaller N3DS on average.

Then the next question is this, is black or white the superior n3ds color?!

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Etrips posted:

Black. I have no idea why people buy white electronics with screens on them. People don't own white TVs. WHy would you want a white border around your screen. Truly do not understand it.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

The plastic under the coloured layer is black with silver (glue?) so the darker your 3DS is the better it will look with some wear and tear.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Etrips posted:

There's not an objective answer to that.

Black.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

LODGE NORTH posted:

Black. I have no idea why people buy white electronics with screens on them. People don't own white TVs. WHy would you want a white border around your screen. Truly do not understand it.

Because white is more futuristic

Real answer: every piece of electronics is black and it's boring. My white N3DS and Famicom Red N3DSXL are :c00l:

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

So I got myself a n3ds xl over the holiday (decided to finally jump on the wagon), and have since grabbed MH Generations and FE Awakening on the e-shop sale, Mario 3D Land on a BF sale, and Zelda LInk Between Worlds. They're all pretty brilliant so far, especially Zelda. I don't have much interest in the OoT remake, I played that game plenty back in the N64 days. I did put Majora's Mask 3D on my xmas list, since I never got a chance to play the original.

What I'd like to know is if there's any good JRPGs I should really be on the lookout for? Any of the SMT games? There seem to be a boatload of those, are the SMT IV games the ones to get? How about Bravely Second or the DQ7 remake?

Also any other random recommendations you can think of!

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Get them all. The only bad 3DS game is Sticker Star.

teraflame
Jan 7, 2009
Both SMTIV games are great, as well as DQVII if you have the time to grind.

Rune Factory 4 is solid if you like a more rpgish harvest moon.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Schpyder posted:

So I got myself a n3ds xl over the holiday (decided to finally jump on the wagon), and have since grabbed MH Generations and FE Awakening on the e-shop sale, Mario 3D Land on a BF sale, and Zelda LInk Between Worlds. They're all pretty brilliant so far, especially Zelda. I don't have much interest in the OoT remake, I played that game plenty back in the N64 days. I did put Majora's Mask 3D on my xmas list, since I never got a chance to play the original.

What I'd like to know is if there's any good JRPGs I should really be on the lookout for? Any of the SMT games? There seem to be a boatload of those, are the SMT IV games the ones to get? How about Bravely Second or the DQ7 remake?

Also any other random recommendations you can think of!

All of those you suggested are worth checking out along with Xenoblade. If you ever do want to replay OOT again, it's definitely the definitive version on 3DS.

My other favorite 3DS games I'd suggest would be Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon, Animal Crossing New Leaf, Rhythm Heaven Megamix, both the Kirby games, and Kid Icarus Uprising.

teraflame
Jan 7, 2009
Also please avoid the bravely games, save yourself the disappoint and wastes of time.

Eleeleth
Jun 21, 2009

Damn, that is one suave eel.

teraflame posted:

Also please avoid the bravely games, save yourself the disappoint and wastes of time.

Both Bravely games are really good, though.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
or, instead, play both bravely games and have a fun time with good video games

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

teraflame posted:

Yeah, it really surprised me how quickly I got tired of that game. I can understand why people like them, but they're definitely not for everyone.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

teraflame posted:

Please play the second Bravely Game, which tries a lot less hard to troll you with weird metagame tricks. It's a very good take on the Final Fantasy Job System.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
I don't understand how someone could recommend Dragon Quest 7 and diss Bravely Default

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

SeANMcBAY posted:

All of those you suggested are worth checking out along with Xenoblade. If you ever do want to replay OOT again, it's definitely the definitive version on 3DS.

My other favorite 3DS games I'd suggest would be Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon, Animal Crossing New Leaf, Rhythm Heaven Megamix, both the Kirby games, and Kid Icarus Uprising.

I've got the Wii version of XB Chronicles, no need to rebuy that. Luigi and AC are both selects now so I'll pick those up on the cheap at some point.

Regarding the seemingly wide Bravely disagreement, what are people's major likes/dislikes with them? I don't know much about them at all.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Schpyder posted:

I've got the Wii version of XB Chronicles, no need to rebuy that. Luigi and AC are both selects now so I'll pick those up on the cheap at some point.

Regarding the seemingly wide Bravely disagreement, what are people's major likes/dislikes with them? I don't know much about them at all.

It's a Final Fantasy Job System, like FFV style where you can and should switch Jobs throughout the game, and pretty classic battle format in a JRPG- your dudes are lined up and the enemies are lined up, and it's turn based. They add a wrinkle, though, where you can "Brave" to take out loans against your future turns to stack actions, with the cost of becoming idle for that many turns next time they roll around. You can use this to let your party's White Mage do like massive healing volleys every several turns, and other things.

There's also some quality of life stuff, like you can adjust or turn off random encounters for when you need to grind or don't want to be bothered while you look for that chest you missed. There's also an idle game in the background that gives you some small gameplay bonuses as you rebuild a town.

The bad part, in the first one, is that at a certain point in the game you enter a Groundhog Day Time Loop. This is good and bad. The good is that it lets you fight all the bosses again. The bad is that you have to figure out the narrative trick they are playing on you in order to break the loop. This also means that you have to play though a good chunk of the game twice, though it's more of a boss rush the second (or more) times around. They get kind of clever and meta by subtly changing the title screen to give you a clue.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

You can just ditch the time loop and break it at the earliest opportunity, ignoring the true ending.

But you really have to LOVE the FF5 job system because finding the most broken combo of skills and grinding to get enough points for them is the meat of the game. Everything else is filler.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

I mean, you can also skip all the subbosses the subsequent times through, but you do miss out on some really neat character building and story development, the same as if you decide to skip the true ending.

It's arguably kind of a slog, but skipping the content isn't exactly a great alternative.

Bravely Default is one of the few games that got me to genuinely root for the bosses I was fighting, and not even in a "God these protagonists suck, just blow it all up" way, but rather because the culmination of little snippets before each fight, combined with the charming writing style of the biographies gives you a rare "behind-the-scenes" connection with them that few other games manage to pull off.

a crisp refreshing Moxie fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Dec 1, 2016

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

I never played enough FF5 to get the hang of its job system. I did however play the absolute poo poo out of FFT (close to 300 hours worth) to the point of a calculator with all other mage spells unlocked and duped Excaliburs on all my other characters so nuking the entire map with holy caused all my characters to be healed.

So if that's the kind of abusive cheese I can expect from the Bravely games, I'm in. I probably won't have time to play both, so in that case is Second the one to get?

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

Schpyder posted:

I never played enough FF5 to get the hang of its job system. I did however play the absolute poo poo out of FFT (close to 300 hours worth) to the point of a calculator with all other mage spells unlocked and duped Excaliburs on all my other characters so nuking the entire map with holy caused all my characters to be healed.

So if that's the kind of abusive cheese I can expect from the Bravely games, I'm in. I probably won't have time to play both, so in that case is Second the one to get?

They're both good but I like the first game a lot better than the second. But yeah abusing hosed up job combinations is the name of the game in Bravely

e: also bravely second is a direct sequel to default so if you care about that

absolutely anything fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Dec 1, 2016

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Etrips posted:

White, because the SNES-colored ABXY buttons stand out more and because black is boring.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
FFV is the only one I've ever played all the way through, or even a significant amount. I wouldn't have even done that without the Four Job Fiesta. Is there a Bravely Default Fiesta?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

FFV is the only one I've ever played all the way through, or even a significant amount. I wouldn't have even done that without the Four Job Fiesta. Is there a Bravely Default Fiesta?
BD isn't as open ended, not really suited to the fiesta format.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Schpyder posted:

please tell me you've played through FFTA2

f you loved FFT but somehow missed advance 2, literally get on ebay immediately and buy a DS copy and play it right the heck now

I liked FFT a lot, and FFTA2 is one of my fav games ever. One of like 3 DS games I still have physical copies of

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

I got tired of Bravely Default after murdering the final boss without taking a single point of damage. It is a rather good game.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Schpyder posted:

1 recipe I tired in BD1:
You make people alchemists either as the main or the side job.
Find a boss to kill.
The entire party waits three turns to charge up the multi-turn thing.
One alchemist tosses a compound that makes an enemy weak to the dark element, regardless of the enemy's actual weaknesses.
The entire party proceeds to mix and throw a volley of 15 highest-damaging items in the entire game taking off thousands of HP with each hit.
The boss dies.

Bonus: all components for the above become available for cash if you develop the game's village minigame, so you never need to grind for dragon's tits or anything. Just money.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Tatsuta Age posted:

please tell me you've played through FFTA2

f you loved FFT but somehow missed advance 2, literally get on ebay immediately and buy a DS copy and play it right the heck now

I liked FFT a lot, and FFTA2 is one of my fav games ever. One of like 3 DS games I still have physical copies of

Why did people not like the Judge system in FFTA? I kinda liked it.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
There are demos of both Bravely games if you're really unsure. They're wholly contained from the full versions, but they allow you to get some extra bonus stuff for the full games.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

teraflame posted:

Both SMTIV games are great, as well as DQVII if you have the time to grind.

Rune Factory 4 is solid if you like a more rpgish harvest moon.

I don't really see how DQ7 is in any way a grindy game mechanically. I beat it at around 94 hours and I'd wager maybe 3 of them tops spread out over that time was grinding, and that was just me unnecessarily grinding out some Vocations so I could be even more overpowered for the final boss. It's largely all story content, and there's a ton of it but there was never a point where I was like "aw man I can't beat this boss better grind."

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

You should also get the demo for Etrian Odyssey 4 to see if you like it, it's easily my favorite RPG on the 3DS, and it's often on sale for $10 on the eShop.

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

Zat posted:

White, because the SNES-colored ABXY buttons stand out more and because black is boring.

Also no visible fingerprints!

I love my white New 3DS.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

chinese barbecue porp posted:

Also no visible fingerprints!

I love my white New 3DS.

That's not a problem on the black one either because it's also matte. It's the XL's where Nintendo hosed up.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
At this rate not giving a poo poo about fingerprints is basically a biological advantage.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Eifert Posting posted:

At this rate not giving a poo poo about fingerprints is basically a biological advantage.

Not if you are a burglar

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

Policenaut posted:

I don't really see how DQ7 is in any way a grindy game mechanically. I beat it at around 94 hours and I'd wager maybe 3 of them tops spread out over that time was grinding, and that was just me unnecessarily grinding out some Vocations so I could be even more overpowered for the final boss. It's largely all story content, and there's a ton of it but there was never a point where I was like "aw man I can't beat this boss better grind."

dragon quest games tend to not have much grinding but they do have an extremely frequent encounter rate and once you "get" how to beat encounters optimally and use items its just kind of a waste of time.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe
they're adorable games but i've never been able to have fun with them for longer than a few hours.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

greatn posted:

Not if you are a burglar

I keep a glossy 3DS in case some joker breaks into my house and erases my Pokemon save

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
The original DQ7 was very grindy. The remake "solved" this by axing random encounters in favor of field enemies that spawn so frequently and move so quickly in the game's many many narrow passageways that you're forced into fights way more often than you would be with a random encounter system