Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

Gaspy Conana posted:

What are the most watchable MST films other than This Island Earth? By 'most watchable' I mean least boring; they can be bad-good or good-good.

I'm personally fond of lots of the monster movies that the show has featured - Gorgo is a good one, and some of the Gameras are good-bad (though others are just dire). Both of the Godzilla movies that MST3K did are fun, Sea Monster being actually a fairly good movie on its own merits and Megalon being among the best good-bad movies ever made. Sadly, those MST3K episodes are hard to come by now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acinonyx
Oct 21, 2005

Gaspy Conana posted:

What are the most watchable MST films other than This Island Earth? By 'most watchable' I mean least boring; they can be bad-good or good-good.

I have watched 'I Accuse My Parents' more times than I am comfortable admitting and it entertains me every time.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Yeah, It Conquered the World is really only on a bad movie list because the alien is so loving stupid looking.

Well, and because the movie is up its own rear end a bit.

It's entertaining enough for Frank Zappa to have written a song about it.

It's silly that the title is technically a spoiler, except it isn't, because It doesn't.

I really enjoy Catalina Caper, Horror at Party Beach, and Merlin's Mystical Shop on their own terms.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich
I had to watch it a few times but I've actually come to like The Final Sacrifice. It's got a certain charm to it.

e:

Acinonyx posted:

I have watched 'I Accuse My Parents' more times than I am comfortable admitting and it entertains me every time.

Also one of my favorites, although I wish the parents had been in it more. They seemed like fun people.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Yeah, It Conquered the World is really only on a bad movie list because the alien is so loving stupid looking.

Well, and because the movie is up its own rear end a bit.

It is hard to be afraid of an immobile space artichoke.

Well What Now
Nov 10, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Shredded Hen

Bruceski posted:

The guy who basically says "you don't need to take any responsibility for your actions, this is all bad parenting"?

I mean, as far as the film goes he isn't exactly wrong...

Also I'm genuinely fascinated by the Coleman Francis movies.

Well What Now fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Dec 2, 2016

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

PK loving SUBBAN posted:

I had to watch it a few times but I've actually come to like The Final Sacrifice. It's got a certain charm to it.

My go-to example of "yes, it's terrible, but you can't help but like it" is Prince of Space. It's just so endearingly goofy.

Artsygrrl
Apr 24, 2007

I'm just here.

Grimey Drawer
Prince of Space also reminds you why cosplay should involve a cup.

Aside from the movies already mentioned, I've been enjoying The Creeping Terror if only for Crow's bits during the dance hall scene. Soultaker is pretty funny, too.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003
RIP Mohammad "Tony" Zarindast, director/writer/producer of Werewolf, in which he also played the security guard who becomes a werewolf. He was 82.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
Where oh werewolf
I've looked everywhere-wolf
Where oh where
Where is my my werewolf

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Senior Woodchuck posted:

Where oh werewolf
I've looked everywhere-wolf
Where oh where
Where is my my werewolf

I don't know. You had him last.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Action Jacktion posted:

RIP Mohammad "Tony" Zarindast, director/writer/producer of Werewolf, in which he also played the security guard who becomes a werewolf. He was 82.

:(

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth
A waihr-wilf?

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Action Jacktion posted:

That sucks but it does explain why the movie is what it is. It's in that category of Samurai Cop and Dangerous men. Forgin directors trying to make american style films. Also, holy poo poo Werewolf is 1995. I always placed it in the late 80s.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Gaspy Conana posted:

Gotta go with Angels Revenge, again. Giant Spider Invasion. Squirm. Master Ninja I & II as well, but I may be biased. I actually watched that show when it was originally on. Some of the TV pilots too. Code Name: Diamond Head and Stranded in Space are watchable. And Riding With Death.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

It wasn't until I actually listened close to the movie that I realized that Mandark was in Laserblast.

Gaspy Conana posted:

The two Godzilla movies they saw are legitimately fun and are well-liked by Godzilla fans (vs. Megalon gave all monsters involved some real personality to them.) Ditto on the Gameras.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Funky Valentine posted:

It wasn't until I actually listened close to the movie that I realized that Mandark was in Laserblast.

He's also the annoying puppeteer that holds surveillance in a ferris wheel in Spielberg's 1941.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

Action Jacktion posted:

drat you 2016

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

Action Jacktion posted:

Did he just honk?

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Well, I got through all of the first season and something I never expected happened: I miss Josh Weinstein's Servo voice, and the chorus of "THANK YOU!" during the invention exchange.

I remember Kevin Murphy being a much better riffer overall, though, and the show definitely gets better in season 2.

e: Something about Murphy's voice just goes better with the weird little beak mouth in the sketches as well, for whatever reason.

Bicyclops fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Dec 2, 2016

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

I could totally watch Operation Double 007 by itself, maybe then Joel wouldn't ruin it for me.

"I know."

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Some of my go-to faves are Cave Dwellers, Danger! Death Ray! Skydivers, 12 To The Moon, Catalina Caper, Fire Maidens, San Francisco International, and Creeping Terror. Admittedly, mainly for background listening.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Never noticed it before, but when watching one of Joel's eps, in the opening credits, when it cuts to Joel and the Bots in the theater, the shot is actually reversed (The Gizmonics on Joel's jumpsuit is backwards).

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Franchescanado posted:

Merlin's Mystical Shop

"So Billy, by this time a kid had thrown a chicken while an infertile couple looked at a store." is in my Top 10 riffs of all time.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Davros1 posted:

Never noticed it before, but when watching one of Joel's eps, in the opening credits, when it cuts to Joel and the Bots in the theater, the shot is actually reversed (The Gizmonics on Joel's jumpsuit is backwards).

This reminds me of something I just noticed a few days ago. In the season one opening, there's a shot where you can see both Jim and Josh's heads as they work the puppets. I think it was during the "to make his robot friends" line.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Diabolik900 posted:

This reminds me of something I just noticed a few days ago. In the season one opening, there's a shot where you can see both Jim and Josh's heads as they work the puppets. I think it was during the "to make his robot friends" line.

I also noticed when Joel is making notes in the credits (when he tips his helmet), not only does his marker have the cap still on, he's holding it upside down.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I like talking about how the puppets have changed and the voices are altered these days, and there will definitely be a lot of talk about it with the new cast, but part of me misses the days where I treated them sort of like the Muppets, where the social contract just dictates that you treat them as if they are actual people and nobody is operating them at all.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Jet Jaguar posted:

I could totally watch Operation Double 007 by itself, maybe then Joel wouldn't ruin it for me.

"I know."

Operation Kid Brother is totally available on its own on Amazon Prime.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
I'm genuinely fond of The Magic Sword — it's just an enjoyably harmless matinee fantasy that doesn't have any pretensions beyond that. Plus, Estelle Winwood has some pretty bangin' titties for a septugenarian.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Gaspy Conana posted:

Always loved Horror at Party Beach myself, my first ever one I watched.
I will admit, I have a crush on Romulan Girl.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Gaspy Conana posted:

I've grown to really enjoy Santa Claus Conquers the Martians and can easily watch it without the riffs. It's a charming kids movie with a fun premise and decent pacing. There's some really dumb stuff in there, but unless you find Dropo really unbearable (and I don't), there's nothing in there that really breaks the movie. Just stuff like the polar bear costume and the military stock footage that's only there for a minute or so.

Pumaman is a solid superhero movie hampered by the hokey visuals and music. Vadinho is one of the most likable characters in any MST3K movie. Especially once I finally realized that he was only a red herring in that "dudes getting thrown to their deaths" thing. It took me way too many viewings to realize that was Kobras' men's doing and Vadinho only did that to Tony because he was proving it to Tony himself.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Moon Zero Two is like an extremely poorly executed old Bond movie, kind of. It's probably survivable on its own. That's probably the only one so far in my grand rewatch, but I'm still at the beginning of season 2.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Gaspy Conana posted:

Incredible Melting Man is one of my favorites

Deadly Bees is actually not a terrible movie on top of having some very funny riffs too

I ran across this looking for Jack Frost Clips. It must be seen to believed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uc2h6S4RZcg

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

Gavok posted:

There's some really dumb stuff in there, but unless you find Dropo really unbearable (and I don't), there's nothing in there that really breaks the movie.

I, uh, kind of think Dropo is funny and okay.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Rewatching this show, there's one thing that really has surprised me about it: for a show that's built around making snide remarks about old, cheesy movies, it's almost entirely devoid of cynicism. There's kind of a boldness to the whole thing that isn't edgy. The invention exchanges with Joel are basically magic tricks your goofy uncle might do ("Wow! How'd he make the milk disappear! Look, he split his head from his body!"), there are corny, running gag catchphrases, it has homemade puppets in literal pageant sketch comedy, and the entire set looks like a fun, high school play craft project. They read letters from kids and show the drawings. Even for the early 90s, there's a kind of genuine love for dorky, square dad humor that sets it apart from most things.

You can definitely see why it was canceled as Comedy Central evolved and found an identity more centered around stuff like The Daily Show (and why, despite definitely having most of my favorite episodes, the show was never a great fit for the Sci Fi Channel), but Netflix might just be the vehicle for it. It's hard to tell, though. It's not like kids can just come across it flipping channels, and I feel like middle school age is the way to get hooked on the show. It might just be us old fans enjoying a season or two of reliving it.

Dylazodelan
Nov 9, 2009

rydiafan posted:

"So Billy, by this time a kid had thrown a chicken while an infertile couple looked at a store." is in my Top 10 riffs of all time.

Some of my favorite riffs from the Rifftrax of "Santa Claus Meets the Ice Cream Bunny" are also riffs about pointing out the movies poorly thought out framing devices. Santa tells these kids a story about Thumbelina, and the filmmakers didn't even edit out the credits from the whole other movie they sloppily plopped into the middle into their own, and that whole other movie has its OWN loving framing device, and madness ensues.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Bimmi posted:

I, uh, kind of think Dropo is funny and okay.

Same. I'm considering being him for New York Comic Con next year.

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

Bicyclops posted:

Rewatching this show, there's one thing that really has surprised me about it: for a show that's built around making snide remarks about old, cheesy movies, it's almost entirely devoid of cynicism. There's kind of a boldness to the whole thing that isn't edgy. The invention exchanges with Joel are basically magic tricks your goofy uncle might do ("Wow! How'd he make the milk disappear! Look, he split his head from his body!"), there are corny, running gag catchphrases, it has homemade puppets in literal pageant sketch comedy, and the entire set looks like a fun, high school play craft project. They read letters from kids and show the drawings. Even for the early 90s, there's a kind of genuine love for dorky, square dad humor that sets it apart from most things.

You can definitely see why it was canceled as Comedy Central evolved and found an identity more centered around stuff like The Daily Show (and why, despite definitely having most of my favorite episodes, the show was never a great fit for the Sci Fi Channel), but Netflix might just be the vehicle for it. It's hard to tell, though. It's not like kids can just come across it flipping channels, and I feel like middle school age is the way to get hooked on the show. It might just be us old fans enjoying a season or two of reliving it.

It's really amazing that it made it on television, to be honest. It hit in that magical space where cable TV didn't think it was regular TV yet, but network TV (and most cable TV bosses) were actively ignoring cable TV. A real network would've re-cast the lead instantly and had sponsor tie-ins. And then added an animal or cute kid in season 5 (both of which got spoofed, now that I think of it). No one creating the show worried about market share or demographics. There was never a focus group. A guy had an idea, and worked with a bunch of people around him who 'got' the concept and wanted to make the best danged ol' puppet show they could. Joel was the show's host, but he treated it like his third priority -- first he had to keep the ship running, and second he had to keep his 'bots learning and on the right path. There's just a magic to it when the show serves itself rather than its investors and it's hard to find in mass entertainment.

If it weren't Joel at the helm of the new series I'd be really, really worried that all the "professionals" were going to ruin things. Knowing what I know of everyone involved, though, I'm hoping their shared love of the original is enough to keep that juice.

livingfruitvirus
Nov 20, 2002

Grrr

Action Jacktion posted:

YEAH! Champaigne!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
Bummer:

Shout Factory posted:

Dear MSTies:

We regret to tell you that the source material for the KTMA host segments we had planned to use for the Volume XXXVIII bonus disc is not of good enough quality to create a DVD that’s up to our -- or your -- standards.

We’re as disappointed as you must be. We were so excited about the prospect of sharing the beginnings of MST3K with you and while we haven’t given up on the releasing KTMA host segments completely, we have run out of production time to get them ready for this release.

In light of that, we have decided to move up production on a bonus DVD that was planned for later in 2017: a limited-edition reissue of the Play MSTie For Me Triple Decker DVD, the long out-of-print collection of MST3K musical performances that would put Broadway to shame.

If that sounds OK to you, there’s nothing you need to do -- you’ll get that bonus DVD with your order. But if you would rather cancel your order, we understand and apologize for the inconvenience. Please email info@shoutfactory.com with your order number and we will take care of it.

Thanks for understanding. We really appreciate your support!

Best,

Team Shout! Factory