Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Glasgow Kiss
Dec 12, 2007

Oh, put that thing away, Samurai. We all know what's going to happen. You'll swing your sword, I'll fly away, and probably say something like, "I'll be back, Samurai!" And then I'll flutter over the horizon and we probably won't see each for... about a week. And then we'll do the same thing again.
Whole else is writing papers today while eating turkey?

And sobbing. Forever.

Beats retail though!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
I just submitted the worst paper of my life last night. It's basically a shitton of research and no argument whatsoever.

I mean it's just a rough draft and I have a note from the professor excusing me from having to write a "full" draft but I still feel pretty awful about it.

anyways, ugh, so many papers. I have 6 papers to write in the next two weeks.

Glasgow Kiss
Dec 12, 2007

Oh, put that thing away, Samurai. We all know what's going to happen. You'll swing your sword, I'll fly away, and probably say something like, "I'll be back, Samurai!" And then I'll flutter over the horizon and we probably won't see each for... about a week. And then we'll do the same thing again.

The Iron Rose posted:

I just submitted the worst paper of my life last night. It's basically a shitton of research and no argument whatsoever.

I mean it's just a rough draft and I have a note from the professor excusing me from having to write a "full" draft but I still feel pretty awful about it.

anyways, ugh, so many papers. I have 6 papers to write in the next two weeks.

I just wrote an earlier paper for the same class this tuesday. I think it sucked but whatever. Just gotta drink coffee and power through this poo poo.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
I'm spending today applying to various graduate programs in the german speaking world. Luckily, all I will have to write are motivation essays that may run afoul of self-plagiarism rules which fortunately I highly doubt applies in this circumstance :v: besides, I have to tailor each one a bit to the respective research groups at the universities.

Glasgow Kiss
Dec 12, 2007

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

I'm spending today applying to various graduate programs in the german speaking world. Luckily, all I will have to write are motivation essays that may run afoul of self-plagiarism rules which fortunately I highly doubt applies in this circumstance :v: besides, I have to tailor each one a bit to the respective research groups at the universities.

Good luck! I often find getting blitzed while writing stuff like that helps removes the monotony of it. Proofreading while sober is a must though.

Can't for these papers though, too many technical details. Oh I wish it was something easy like a history paper or something that has more leeway.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Glasgow Kiss posted:

I just wrote an earlier paper for the same class this tuesday. I think it sucked but whatever. Just gotta drink coffee and power through this poo poo.

yeah. My own fault, i misread the due date and ended up writing 6 pages in an hour and a half.

fully cited at least, i ended up with like 40 odd footnotes.

The Iron Rose has a new favorite as of 22:23 on Nov 24, 2016

OniPanda
May 13, 2004

OH GOD BEAR

Glasgow Kiss posted:

And sobbing. Forever.

Beats retail though!
Projects, homeworks, and last midterm were before the break. Next set of homeworks isn't due for 2 weeks and projects are due at the end of the semester, so I chilled today :coal:

Back to work tomorrow though, and sobbing forever

Glasgow Kiss
Dec 12, 2007

OniPanda posted:

Projects, homeworks, and last midterm were before the break. Next set of homeworks isn't due for 2 weeks and projects are due at the end of the semester, so I chilled today :coal:

Back to work tomorrow though, and sobbing forever

Going to do some light studying today and kick it. The sobbing won't go away.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Glasgow Kiss posted:

And sobbing. Forever.

Beats retail though!

Took my extensive homework on my trip with me when I left on Tuesday. Then they added twenty-five percent more on Wednesday.

Oh, and I've got four extensive assignments to do in the next two days which I need to get back to as soon as I've posted this.

But on the plus side, if I can get them done then I almost definitely am pulling off an A in a course that has been literally giving me nightmares.

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT
I have four finals next week.

Two of them start at 8:00 a.m. :suicide:

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006
Canadian Santa Extraordinaire

Random Stranger posted:

I'm in an introduction to programming class. Since programmer was part of my job description for over ten years, this is kind of like being thrown into kindergarten but it's a requirement for my degree and testing out of it wasn't a great idea (basically, I knew I could pass effortlessly, but because there's bound to be syntax things that never used or don't come up in real life, it was really dubious if I could pass it with an "A" and why hurt my GPA needlessly). Part of this class's homework assignments are a slowly building project that grows over the course of a semester. The initial few assignments just gave us general guidelines: "The program needs to do x, y, and z." No problem; I wrote this stuff in about an hour or two, making it robust, expandable, and flexible. The biggest challenge in those assignments was that we were often instructed not to use things that hadn't been covered in class yet and sometimes I had to jump through some funny hoops to do things with my programs and keep it in the terms of the assignment.

The current assignment changed that. We're now to expand our existing program but we have to use a very particular, very inefficient structure. The teacher even sent out a special announcement saying, "No, you cannot modify the code we provided; you must use it exactly." Which means that I can either rewrite from the start while actively making my program significantly worse or I can write some particularly ugly routing and converting code.

I hope the TA likes spaghetti because that's what this program's going to be.

Why not speak to the professor and explain exactly this?
Honestly most profs are extremely understanding with these kinds of situations

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Poulpe posted:

'most' being the keyword here. Dude might be in a lecture class where the professor doesn't want to deal with 250 special snowflakes, and will actively suppress any deviation from the norm.

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006

lord funk posted:

'most' being the keyword here. Dude might be in a lecture class where the professor doesn't want to deal with 250 special snowflakes, and will actively suppress any deviation from the norm.

Maybe, yeah, but in my experience 90% of students are inexplicably afraid to approach their TA/Prof for any reason when they're almost always extremely reasonable and valuable resources :shrug:

I'm not saying go be "that guy" and demand an A on your 60% midterm, but this is a totally sensible situation.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

As someone who teaches an intro to programming class it wouldn't hurt to talk to your instructor. I run into that issue all the time from the opposite end. I have at least one or two students in my class that have programming experience so learning what a for loop is or what a function is doesn't really excite them. I usually give them advanced stuff to look up on their own and try to implement into their projects. They don't get graded on it but they usually appreciate the challenge. For instance while the rest of the class is learning what void functions are I have them try to implement overloading a function in their program.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Yeah didn't mean to discourage talking to the prof -- definitely do! We just have a thread somewhere on the forums here where people run into unreasonable professors / administrators and post horror stories. I'll see if I can dig it up. :)

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Poulpe posted:

Because the class isn't designed for me and I don't want to be disruptive. Handing down a structure from on high that conforms to the path of least resistance is fine for almost anyone who takes the course as it's intended: an introductory course. Wanting the assignments changed to fit me better could just as easily make other students' lives miserable. Venting about it online and putting barbed comments in my code is sufficient (the insulting comment being the traditional ineffective ranting site of the programmer).

FWIW, from comments the TA's and professor have said, I get the impression that they realize they made a big mistake with the format of the assignments this semester. Besides the weirdos like myself who get their program derailed by adding specifications later, I think the people who are actually learning programming from the course are having trouble since errors and problems with their previous programs are carried forward.

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006

Random Stranger posted:

Because the class isn't designed for me and I don't want to be disruptive. Handing down a structure from on high that conforms to the path of least resistance is fine for almost anyone who takes the course as it's intended: an introductory course. Wanting the assignments changed to fit me better could just as easily make other students' lives miserable. Venting about it online and putting barbed comments in my code is sufficient (the insulting comment being the traditional ineffective ranting site of the programmer).

Well- I don't think that's really being disruptive as much as it's part of the instructor's role :shrug: It's not like everybody's assignment specs change just because yours do, as well.
You'd be surprised what kind of accommodations you can receive with a simple, respectful email to the professor explaining your situation and rationale.

Starting from scratch or spaghettifying your code base absolutely does not sound like the intent or scope of the assignment. I'm just surprised that they didn't release a "correct, functioning example of last assignment" for students to work from in case they were incapable of completing previous work.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I have had professors insane enough to turn "accommodation for one student who needs it" into something that ends up punishing a bunch of other people in the class.

Relevant: I had a physics professor who told us to round to some number of significant figures based on some rule, while one of the appendices in the lab manual said to do it based on a different rule. Multiple choice question on how many sig figs should this value have, and there's an answer that would be correct by the professor and one that would be correct by the manual. I intentionally answered based on what the professor told us although I noticed the inconsistency. But since he wrote the test and would be grading it, it made sense to go with his answer.

Tests came back graded and he considered his answer to be right and the manual's answer to be wrong, as I predicted. But somebody pointed out what the lab manual said and his response was not to count both answers correct, but to change which answer was right. which meant me and everyone who did what the professor said to do in lecture lost credit on that question, on account of the guy who argued for the other answer.

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT

Digirat posted:

I have had professors insane enough to turn "accommodation for one student who needs it" into something that ends up punishing a bunch of other people in the class.

Relevant: I had a physics professor who told us to round to some number of significant figures based on some rule, while one of the appendices in the lab manual said to do it based on a different rule. Multiple choice question on how many sig figs should this value have, and there's an answer that would be correct by the professor and one that would be correct by the manual. I intentionally answered based on what the professor told us although I noticed the inconsistency. But since he wrote the test and would be grading it, it made sense to go with his answer.

Tests came back graded and he considered his answer to be right and the manual's answer to be wrong, as I predicted. But somebody pointed out what the lab manual said and his response was not to count both answers correct, but to change which answer was right. which meant me and everyone who did what the professor said to do in lecture lost credit on that question, on account of the guy who argued for the other answer.

That's stupid, in every case that such a question has occurred on my tests the professors let both answers be correct because it was on the professor for not making it clear what the correct answer actually is during class.

Two finals down, two more to go. Tomorrow I have my final exam in Advanced Financial Accounting at 8:00 A.M. and I am not stoked to take it. Finals schedules giving me 8:00 a.m. exam times is the worst

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Ibid is good.
Ibid is cool.
Don't mark me down for using Ibid.
That makes you the fool.

I wrote that today.

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Skip the Waves, Syncopate
Forwards Backwards

I had a group project for my Industrial Design studio. Full bedroom set of furniture for student housing client. Didn't get the materials until the wednesday before Thanksgiving break and started cutting and laminating everything over the break. Pulled a 30hr building-a-thon the day before the deadline. Worst project ever.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

I Might Be Adam posted:

I had a group project for my Industrial Design studio. Full bedroom set of furniture for student housing client. Didn't get the materials until the wednesday before Thanksgiving break and started cutting and laminating everything over the break. Pulled a 30hr building-a-thon the day before the deadline. Worst project ever.

Impossible deadlines and insane hours? Sounds like school is preparing you for the real world.

Seriously, though, that sucks. But you are getting hands on experience, which is sweet.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

TheMadMilkman posted:

Impossible deadlines and insane hours? Sounds like school is preparing you for the real world.

Is this academia's excuse for treating everyone like utter poo poo and expecting students to sacrifice their health to it? Because I've been out of college since may and good god this is a sight better than undergrad. College was years of unnecessarily overworked hell, lack of sleep-induced delirium and a whole lot of suicidal thoughts. Now I'm working at a good software company where I'm treated like a human being, don't have to constantly work late into the night, and can actually have something of a life outside of work. I no longer wake up thinking "I want to die" and continue thinking it until I can go to bed 22 hours later.

That's incredibly backwards because if I just decided not to do some work in college, no one would be hurt. There are absolutely no stakes that aren't imposed by academia itself. There is no higher cause that depends on you turning in your poo poo by a certain time. Whereas if I decided to randomly not show up for work without telling anyone, there would actually be real consequences. At the very least, someone would be losing money, and depending on what the job is, the consequences could go up to lives being lost. And yet I'm expected to devote way less of my energy, time, and general well-being to my job than I had to for college. That's all on top of the fact that you're not getting paid in college, you're paying them. (Referring to the US here, I know it's sort-of free in germany and such.)

Seriously, I thought college was unrealistically awful when I was there, and now that I'm out, I'm only more convinced that it is. Students are completely justified in complaining.

e: Not ranting at you, that was just my springboard for the "gently caress college" rant I've been saving up since I graduated

Owl Inspector has a new favorite as of 03:32 on Dec 7, 2016

Glasgow Kiss
Dec 12, 2007

lol so my organic lab prof said our final was on thrursday but was mistaken and said our final is tomorrow, by email, the night before!

i feel downing the bottle whiskey on my desk and smashing it over my loving head

Glasgow Kiss
Dec 12, 2007

seriously gently caress school. gently caress being a scientist.

i rather smoke meth and drive 18 wheelers for a living.*

*kidding but i am so loving upset right now.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

How Rude posted:

That's stupid, in every case that such a question has occurred on my tests the professors let both answers be correct because it was on the professor for not making it clear what the correct answer actually is during class.

I actually had a professor (incidentally she was absolutely one of the best that I had), on every test, drop a question or two entirely from grading on every test if enough people got them wrong. Apparently she experimented a lot and rewrote the tests every semester. If like 75% of students missed a question she decided it was a bad question and threw it out. There were a few other times in other classes that a professor was like "I made a mistake have some free points." I've never, ever seen a professor go the route described above. If the professor hosed up it's on the professor to give the student the benefit of the doubt.

Digirat posted:

Is this academia's excuse for treating everyone like utter poo poo and expecting students to sacrifice their health to it? Because I've been out of college since may and good god this is a sight better than undergrad. College was years of unnecessarily overworked hell, lack of sleep-induced delirium and a whole lot of suicidal thoughts. Now I'm working at a good software company where I'm treated like a human being, don't have to constantly work late into the night, and can actually have something of a life outside of work. I no longer wake up thinking "I want to die" and continue thinking it until I can go to bed 22 hours later.

Pretty much. Same with shouting down students who bitch about group work in school when they get a terrible group. It's "well in the real world you don't get to pick your coworkers" or "sometimes in the real world..." Yes well in the real world people who literally refuse to do their jobs have a bit of a tendency to lose them. In the real world bosses who treat their employees like lovely professors treat their students have a tendency to lose their employees.

Granted it also depends on the field as well. Some industries have such an oversupply of people trying to get in that "the real world" includes multiple years of being wrung dry as an unpaid intern before you can even have the slightest hope of getting a maybe full time job for maybe $25,000 a year. The again you have programmers on the other end of the spectrum where pretty much every employer is like "oh god oh gently caress please please please please pleeeeaaaaaasssssseeeeeee don't leave."

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Digirat posted:

Is this academia's excuse for treating everyone like utter poo poo and expecting students to sacrifice their health to it?

Absolutely. If I heard one more "how things work in the real world" speech from someone who has never seen the outside of academia I think I'll show them how things work in the real world.

Glasgow Kiss posted:

lol so my organic lab prof said our final was on thrursday but was mistaken and said our final is tomorrow, by email, the night before!

Jesus Christ. Now that's monstrous.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Digirat posted:

Is this academia's excuse for treating everyone like utter poo poo and expecting students to sacrifice their health to it?

One bad manager somewhere near you in the chain of command, in an industry that's oversupplied with job seekers, and you may be treated like so much garbage; there are sociopaths in positions of power everywhere.

The major difference between academia and all of the shittiest jobs is that the jobs pay you, not the other way around. Getting rode into the dirt while at the same time putting yourself into debt (or at least draining dry your savings) is insult to injury of the highest order.

Andohz
Aug 15, 2004

World's Strongest Smelly Hobo

Glasgow Kiss posted:

i feel downing the bottle whiskey on my desk and smashing it over my loving head

Jesus, our exams are scheduled months in advance by the scheduling people, not the course examiner.

Had a course last period that took way to much time, leaving me to do most of the work for a system installation course this period instead of spread out over the whole term. The course is basically setting up network, DNS, NIS, NFS and stuff on a network of 4 virtual machines (2 clients, a server and a router) all being run on a school server. This server is shared by all the students taking this course. This means if one student fucks up (so far only one group was hacked and turned into spam servers) all the groups suffer. Add to that the fact that the server's hardware has been acting up since the beginning of the course and what you end up with is the most infuriating lab environment ever. Trying to configure linux machines with terminals that sometimes lag up to 10 seconds from input to output appearing on the console is hell. "Did I spell that correctly? Welp, better wait 4 seconds to find out".

Glasgow Kiss
Dec 12, 2007

Good news is that it was a miscommunication and that our final is today. Bad news is that my medical microbiology final sucked and I felt like I guessed. Oh well.

And I heard the lab final today is brutal and full of IR/NMR poo poo, which while cool in theory, suck as test problems. And I got the orgo final tomorrow that I barely studied for because of that micro class and trying to finish up some other assignments, on top of trying to stay on top of my research.

Basically my life in a video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cfKi58wvwdQ

Glasgow Kiss
Dec 12, 2007

Glasgow Kiss posted:

Los Angeles.

And I already have something to complain about over there already. They're switching from a quarter system to semester in 2016. Meh.

Meh. Indeed.

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Skip the Waves, Syncopate
Forwards Backwards

TheMadMilkman posted:

Seriously, though, that sucks. But you are getting hands on experience, which is sweet.

The funny thing is, I'm a returning adult student switching design careers and have 10yrs of professional experience. Sorry, but outside of some traveling work, I've never had to pull a 30hr day nor have ever had an employer expect me to. This wasn't just my group that pulled the long hours, all 10 design teams were pulling these insane hours. Lots of people pull all nighters for solo projects but that's usually because they procrastinate. This project was an entirely different beast.

If academia really thinks they are preparing students for the real world, they must expect that everyone is going to pull 80+hr weeks working for Apple, a law firm, etc.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Is there like, an opposite of a college complaint?

So the grading deadline for one of my profs is today. Due to some poo poo I only managed to get in an already extended essay around half an hour ago. Normally I wouldn't have much hope of even getting a mark, but my professor apparently liked me so much he delayed his grading deadline because he figured I had a good reason. No late marks, nothing.

I'm seriously blessed.

I had a legit reason, but this paper was already extended and there's only so long you can push things back.

OniPanda
May 13, 2004

OH GOD BEAR

ToxicSlurpee posted:

I actually had a professor (incidentally she was absolutely one of the best that I had), on every test, drop a question or two entirely from grading on every test if enough people got them wrong. Apparently she experimented a lot and rewrote the tests every semester. If like 75% of students missed a question she decided it was a bad question and threw it out. There were a few other times in other classes that a professor was like "I made a mistake have some free points." I've never, ever seen a professor go the route described above. If the professor hosed up it's on the professor to give the student the benefit of the doubt.
One of my professors did similar this semester. Test ended up being longer than they planned, so they knocked 10 points off the scale. There was one question that involved something we went over in class, but was waaaaaaay more difficult than could be done quickly with what we learned. There was a hint about how to do the problem, but that hint involved stuff we never went over.

Andohz posted:

Jesus, our exams are scheduled months in advance by the scheduling people, not the course examiner.
Ours are too, but the teachers still have some ways to get them rescheduled since there's always conflicts somewhere. The joy this semester was people complained about eecs370 conflicting with their other classes, so eecs370 reschedule their exam....to the exact same time as eecs270, one of my other classes. I might have mentioned this at the start of the semester, but I'm double pissed because they changed an exam time that didn't conflict for me to one that did, then had the audacity to say that I should work it out with my other class. I did my very best to not email in "Look mother fuckers."

Fatal Error
Feb 13, 2013

by sebmojo
Nothing has ever made me feel as stupid and clueless as basic loving circuit analysis :saddowns:

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
hello friends, i am a university that has eaten up students of every race and creed. they perished in my bowels. i am known as the world school

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

Fatal Error posted:

Nothing has ever made me feel as stupid and clueless as basic loving circuit analysis :saddowns:

Differential RLC, or resistive networks? For the former just do the laplace, and then for the later and the former as well methodically use the whosawhatsit laws for current and voltage to determine whats going where. Like, this particular loop has -5V+10ΩI+20ΩI+s10^-9I = 0 or something like that (I haven't used a laplace or this knowledge in almost 3 years, so I'm probably doing something incorrect) You do this for how many independent loops there are and solve the system. Wah-lah!

so, like, $5=(10+20+10^{-9}s)I$ and $I=\frac{5}{30+10^-9s}$ which the laplace of is something I forgot... I wanna say an exponential of some kind?

(God, I would love if the forums has the option to run latex...)

E: yeah, $I=5B*e^{-30Bt}$

Watermelon Daiquiri has a new favorite as of 11:32 on Dec 12, 2016

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Currently panicking because while I can solve second order differential equations and systems of differential equations in my sleep, I have apparently forgotten how to solve your basic, first order diff eq.

Hurray for finals week!

OniPanda
May 13, 2004

OH GOD BEAR

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

Differential RLC, or resistive networks? For the former just do the laplace, and then for the later and the former as well methodically use the whosawhatsit laws for current and voltage to determine whats going where. Like, this particular loop has -5V+10ΩI+20ΩI+s10^-9I = 0 or something like that (I haven't used a laplace or this knowledge in almost 3 years, so I'm probably doing something incorrect) You do this for how many independent loops there are and solve the system. Wah-lah!

so, like, $5=(10+20+10^{-9}s)I$ and $I=\frac{5}{30+10^-9s}$ which the laplace of is something I forgot... I wanna say an exponential of some kind?

(God, I would love if the forums has the option to run latex...)

E: yeah, $I=5B*e^{-30Bt}$

I did this a year ago, and I still couldn't do it without staring at my book for an hour. But just for the circuit part, laplace is easy and owns bones. This also isn't what Fatal Error is talking about, that's not basic analysis :jerkbag:

Even though it takes a bit longer to set up, I love LaTex

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
Huh? Loop and node equations are most definitely part of basic circuit analysis... Laplace is a tad higher level, and im kinda pissed that i learned it first in my ENA class as "ok just replace d with s and d squared with 2s" rather than in my signals class as an extension of fourier...

• Locked thread