Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kissekatt
Apr 20, 2005

I have tasted the fruit.

Jack Trades posted:

Is there a way to play as a custom officer that's a part of of one of the historical clans? I can't seem to find a way to play as a custom character that isn't in their own custom clan.

Nevermind, I figured it out.
Wait, it has an officer mode? Is it any good?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Atelier Sophie's Plachta is joining Musou Stars.

kissekatt posted:

Wait, it has an officer mode? Is it any good?

I'm really enjoying it.

The basic idea is that you start off as a Retainer and you have this tiny Castle Town to manage, and your Daimyo gives you and all the other retainers/other lower ranks objectives to work towards to achieve a larger goal. So you might get like "Preparations to capture Osaka castle" and in there are objectives like "Give 1500 Wood" or "Raise <x> Tribe Approval to 80" or even these weird instanced "raid" fights where you're attacking a neighboring castle's crops and have to fight a tiny battle. And the key gimmick here is that you're not the only one working on these goals, so you could be angling to get that "Give 2000 Iron" objective, but the guy over in Hokkaido is doing it too and he may beat you to the punch. You get Honor for completing these objectives and you need that Honor to go up in rank. So from there you can become a Chamberlain, which lets you do larger scale management of Castles and do standard Sphere of Influence regional development, then you can become a Lord that has their own castle, a Regent that can claim their own castles in battle, and maybe a Daimyo at some point. What's really cool is that your Castle Town directly benefits you when you're not longer a Retainer, so you get resources every month from the area that you're maintaining and the Castle Town, and you can freely go back and forth between the macro game of managing entire regions/prefectures to the micro game of your Castle Town. If you've ever looked up Samurai Warriors 3: Empires' Castle Town, it's that but reaching its logical conclusion in Nobunaga's Ambition and it's phenominal. I can't get over how much I love it.

A lot of the mechanics in this game's Officer Mode feel like fully realized versions of RoTK 13's. Everyone's working at the same time on various objectives, and you're not just watching circles fill on a city screen. The city has actual space issues to deal with, you upgrade the size, figure out what buildings interact and benefit each other, have to make choices on what buildings you need, spend the time/resources to build them, all while the conflict of the era is ongoing, and it makes for this very fun SimCity-like game to go alongside the actual Nobunaga's Ambition gameplay. Instead of RoTK 13, where every city was the exact same, and could build every single building, so it was boring. Quests appear on your main map and you can just cursor over to select them! Officer mode also is present during combat, where if you select it you go to a more personalized almost Kessen-like mode where you direct your unit around as you would, but now there's an even greater sense of combat depth. There are different kinds of attacks, and there are skills and formations you can learn to use and counter said attacks, and you can team up with other officers to exploit them. So like the Enemy does a "Release" tactic (a long ranged skill to do lots of damage) on you, so you do "Release Guard" to mitigate the damage and while the two of you are cooling down these skills (all skills have cool down) your ally can do a Charge tactic to break up their ranks while they're recovering. I feel a lot more in control of warfare with it on and it's a delight.

There doesn't seem to be a whole lot of good ronin gameplay going on in it though, like I couldn't even figure out at first how to play as a ronin until I learned that, no, you apparently can't start a game as one. There's still a lot of the fun time stuff in Officer mode that you'd expect, like relationships between officers (RotK 13's dumbass "Social Networking" thing isn't here), you build stats, learn new skills, can buy/sell items, get into fights and such. It's very much like RotK 13 in some aspects, but the difference is that RotK's officer mode had a history of allowing some very freeform stuff and with Nobunaga's Ambition giving it a go they distinctly go from the outset that you're working for The Man/are The Man and based the entire gameplay as a competitive co-operative one to give it a distinct flavor that RotK has never tried in its attempts.

I recently got my RotK 13 platinum, and I waited until I got that to buy Ascension, and from the 5 hours I plunked into Ascension I enjoyed it more than weeks spent playing RotK 13. I wish it was more open like RotK 10 but for what they're going for in Ascension I'm totally happy with it.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Got my NA: Ascension platinum. Can't imagine why ROTK continues to exist when Nobunaga's Ambition does almost everything it does but better.

Here's a new trailer for Samurai Warriors: Sanada Maru!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPvdQTDppn0

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Fishing minigame? Sold

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Policenaut posted:

Here's a new trailer for Samurai Warriors: Sanada Maru!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPvdQTDppn0

Was there ever any word about a PC version of that?

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Not yet. The game's confirmed for Western release next year so I assume it'll be like Berserk where they sub out the PS3 version for a PC one.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
So I've been away from this franchise for a while. Apart from Berserk, what are the new and upcoming musou games?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Sanada Maru as trailered a few posts up, I think is based on a Japanese TV series about Yukimura's life? And Musou Stars which has a bunch of different characters from K-T's other properties like Atelier and Deception. I think that's about it.
Oh and they keep teasing stuff about DW9.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
Sanada Maru looks really good. Of course, I'm a pretty big fan of Yukimura so that helps. Lookin' good with his older-self goatee.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

Policenaut posted:

Got my NA: Ascension platinum. Can't imagine why ROTK continues to exist when Nobunaga's Ambition does almost everything it does but better.

I prefer the setting of ROTK for the bigger scale. It feels like you get more variety and different situations. I also like the characters better. As games, though, I only really loved ROTK 8, 9 and 10.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

I've been playing Orochi 3 again, I took a break from the story for a bit to try out the other modes. I got the hang of duel, wasn't great but I understood what was going on, and just need more practice. Didn't really get Gauntlet mode like I couldn't figure the first stage out. I'm I just supposed to beat the officers or bring down the miasma level. Also there was these gold shining chests but I couldn't do anything to them.

Death Zebra
May 14, 2014

Baka-nin posted:

I've been playing Orochi 3 again, I took a break from the story for a bit to try out the other modes. I got the hang of duel, wasn't great but I understood what was going on, and just need more practice. Didn't really get Gauntlet mode like I couldn't figure the first stage out. I'm I just supposed to beat the officers or bring down the miasma level. Also there was these gold shining chests but I couldn't do anything to them.

Isn't there an in game tutorial in the menu somewhere?

One of the dragon portals is the exit. It will identify itself as such when you activate it by holding the L1 button down while standing on it for a certain period of time. To actually use it you just hold L1 again. Other portals will have different effects including removing the barriers around those treasure chests you were talking about. Some activate exp fever so it's not necessarily a good idea to kill everyone around the portal. You can still fight while activating portals by the way. Even holding L1 down while your character is knocked down seems to work. Gamefaqs has a sticky thread on gauntlet mode by the way though admittedly it does not explain how to complete a stage all that well.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Dynasty Warriors: Eiketsuden confirmed for Western release as Dynasty Warriors: Godseekers. It's coming to PS4 and PS Vita on January 31st in NA and February 1st in Europe. The PS3 version has obviously been skipped.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mp0QEk49OKg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFDqJ9ETNew

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pcY9In7u6mI

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Is the PC version of DQH good? It's on sale for 18 dollars.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Ibram Gaunt posted:

The port is pretty good, other than the fact that you need a controller as per usual.

I'm personally not a fan of the game itself though.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Yeah I wasn't a huge fan of it on release (had it for ps4 but sold it) but kinda had the itch to give it another shot.

DaveCG
Nov 5, 2009
I found it reasonable enjoyable, however I'd quite like to try the sequel but there's been no word of localisation at all has there?

Airspace
Nov 5, 2010

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Where is this?

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

Airspace posted:

Where is this?

It was part of the pricing mistake on the Square-Enix store but it's fixed now. Instead of reducing the price by $18 they set it to $18.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Musou Stars gets Wang Yuanji (DW), Horo (Toukiden), and Mitsunari Ishida (SW). There's also a few new original dudes and some news about the game here too.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E
Sadden they chose Horo instead of Reki to represent T:K. Probably will get Hakase for T2.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Best Buy leaked Dragon Quest 2 release date, April 25th next year: http://gematsu.com/2016/12/best-buy-lists-dragon-quest-heroes-ii-ps4

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Tae posted:

Best Buy leaked Dragon Quest 2 release date, April 25th next year: http://gematsu.com/2016/12/best-buy-lists-dragon-quest-heroes-ii-ps4

So will DQ1 finally get a sale on steam or..?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Leal posted:

So will DQ1 finally get a sale on steam or..?

It gets frequent sales in the square enix store, and that opens in steam anyway.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Tae posted:

It gets frequent sales in the square enix store, and that opens in steam anyway.

Eeeh, on black friday when they had the sale on their store (I couldn't grab it before they fixed their error of pricing the game for 18 bucks) it was actually more expensive on sale on their website then it was on steam not on sale. It was 30% off on their website for $41.99. On Steam it was $39.99

E: I mean I got a PS4 last night so I guess I can just grab it on my ps4 for half the price they want for the PC version.

Leal fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Dec 1, 2016

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
https://youtu.be/3qyZY1FVbv4

Millennia's back to being a mute and Yuanji gets a Kasumi outfit for dlc.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
Is there any news of a full fledged Dynasty Warriors 9 title coming sooner or later or are they focusing on other types?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Other than 'it exists' and a few vague statements we know nothing about it yet.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
Wow I bought DW8 Empires and I am the definition of overwhelmed. The tutorials are there but still. Not sure where to start. Guessing a lowly officer or something is probably easier to start with?

Chachi
Jan 7, 2006
Blue sparks and big fucking shells.

:dukedog:

Sober posted:

Wow I bought DW8 Empires and I am the definition of overwhelmed. The tutorials are there but still. Not sure where to start. Guessing a lowly officer or something is probably easier to start with?

Run at the nearest living thing and kill it. :hist101:

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Chachi posted:

Run at the nearest living thing and kill it. :hist101:

He's talking about the strategy layer where you don't get to actively kill things.

Sober posted:

I suggest starting with a free officer and then just trying out all the different actions.
The strategy layer isn't complicated but there are a lot of different actions you can do. Just try everything and see what it all does.

Chachi
Jan 7, 2006
Blue sparks and big fucking shells.

:dukedog:

Jack Trades posted:

He's talking about the strategy layer where you don't get to actively kill things.

I'm fully aware of that fact and my advice stands.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Koei Tecmo has a big presentation coming on the 17th. Rev up your Dynasty Warriors 9 engines, surely THIS is the show they reveal it on!

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Warriors

Orochi

Foooour

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Pureauthor posted:

Warriors

Orochi

Foooour

That's basically Musou Stars now at this point.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
By all accounts they've been doing really well, I hope it is DW9, and since they seem to understand the PC now I expect it to be as great looking in the way DW8 was for PS4.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
I can't wait for *throws dart at picture filled wall* My Hero Academia Warriors.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

The GIG posted:

I can't wait for *throws dart at picture filled wall* My Hero Academia Warriors.

This but unironically

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

MHA is probably the the most popular shounen fighting thing after One Piece now that all the other big names have finished so it's not exactly unlikely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaveCG
Nov 5, 2009
Much to my disgrace I really want a Naruto Warriors...I know, I'll get my coat.