Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I take the Ebert approach; I think it's incredibly good for what it's trying to do. Considering what I like to draw it would be pretty dumb for me to have any other opinion on that :shrug:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Poison Mushroom posted:

I refuse to click that link now, but this is starting to sound like exactly the kind of poo poo 14 year old me would have been really into, then looked back on years later and realized in retrospect that it's actually really loving weird and questionable.

So, yeah, just skipping straight to the last step there.

It is 100% really loving weird and questionable, this is the point

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

I'm not too sure what the question would be, really

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

sounds questionable

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

"why"

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

AriadneThread posted:

sounds questionable

The content?

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.

Not So Fast posted:

The content?

No, never.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
my webcomic is a zebkomix and my cooch is full of hooch. welcome, friends, to the dawn of a new age

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
queb
kom
ox

i want to be leonard cohen's handmaiden in the afterlife, strangled and buried with my head in his lap as an offering to the penultimate and loveliest prophet of the hebrews. praise!

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Nuns with Guns posted:

Welome to hell, aka underground comix

You got that right: http://www.tcj.com/new-small-press-comics/#comment-291128

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
my vagina, that exquisite and wrathful anemone

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

lost in postation posted:

The authors have obviously done some research on South Africa, but loving hell, that map:

I had a look at Zana because of this panel! And already on the first page I am angered, because I have spent the last month detailing the date-of-entry of almost the entire South African Defence Force arsenal, and the Casspir only entered service in 1980 but the first panel is clearly set in 1965. This makes me unreasonably angry! And South African never got its freedom because Nelson Mandela was a singularly unique being, and the end of apartheid was not driven by a host of factors including international pressure, internal strife, war weariness after 23 years of endless war, and a growing consciousness among the white minority of just how unfair apartheid was. (It turns out that when you force white conscripts and black soldiers to spend two years patrolling the border together, they grow sympathetic to each other and have a lot of time to discuss politics!)

Also, the setup is kinda weird; the ethnic cleansing the apartheid government engaged in against its non-white population was one of forced relocation so that white farmers could use previously non-white land. Yet in Zana the black population are portrayed as being a kind of serf class serving Afrikaner "houses"? Like, the apartheid was a real, horrible thing - and it was motivated by real, horrible impulses - but Zana doesn't seem to want to actually deal with the real-life issues of apartheid, it just wants to tell a story about black serfs serving a white upper class in a pretty offensively stereotypical way. So it picks South Africa for its background to tell a story about racism, yet chooses not to talk about South African racism!

Then a father wants his boy to rape the protagonist to become a "real man" and she quips about real men asking for consent and kills the boy's father and the boy is fine with this because his father used to beat him. That's totally how people talk and act in real life!

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
in fact i act just like that irl

Death Ray
Jan 20, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 6 years!)

Not So Fast posted:

Wow that's a lot of casual racism / rape jokes when I check that site out.

Maybe cool it on the South Park marathons, mate.

Was that a reference to my site? I'm sorry, You didn't quote, so I am confused. (Also, if it is my site you are referring to I am even more confused!)

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

LatwPIAT posted:

Also, the setup is kinda weird; the ethnic cleansing the apartheid government engaged in against its non-white population was one of forced relocation so that white farmers could use previously non-white land. Yet in Zana the black population are portrayed as being a kind of serf class serving Afrikaner "houses"? Like, the apartheid was a real, horrible thing - and it was motivated by real, horrible impulses - but Zana doesn't seem to want to actually deal with the real-life issues of apartheid, it just wants to tell a story about black serfs serving a white upper class in a pretty offensively stereotypical way. So it picks South Africa for its background to tell a story about racism, yet chooses not to talk about South African racism!

Nobody would read webcomics if they were about reality.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

nobody should read webcomics

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Nobody would read webcomics if they were about reality.

Man that is a weak rear end defense of someone completely failing to meaningfully capture what was/is unique about South African apartheid/racism.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I caught up on Poppy!

... I caught up on Poppy. :(

That dragon chapter was something else, man. I'm gonna have to go over that one again at some point because there's just so much going on in it.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Regy Rusty posted:

I caught up on Poppy!

... I caught up on Poppy. :(

That dragon chapter was something else, man. I'm gonna have to go over that one again at some point because there's just so much going on in it.

How about that dragon based body horror huh! :suspense:

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Captain Oblivious posted:

How about that dragon based body horror huh! :suspense:

Dragons, it would seem, are um... weird

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Regy Rusty posted:

Dragons, it would seem, are um... weird

If you didn't catch on or notice by the by, it's mentioned at some point that dragons in this universe are cephalopods. Like an octopus or mollusc.

This is in part why they can do weird horrifying bullshit with their bodies.

Of course the whole body horror thing was exacerbated by the fact that that particular dragon was being possessed by the Specter of Fate or Poda, I forget which

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

If you didn't catch on or notice by the by, it's mentioned at some point that dragons in this universe are cephalopods. Like an octopus or mollusc.

This is in part why they can do weird horrifying bullshit with their bodies.

Of course the whole body horror thing was exacerbated by the fact that that particular dragon was being possessed by the Specter of Fate or Poda, I forget which

By the hand thing which Poda then grabs and "eats"??? afterwards so I assumed it was involved with their organization. I also had a feeling I'd seen it before and went back and found this: http://www.poppy-opossum.com/comic/poppy-3-page-28-2/

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Regy Rusty posted:

By the hand thing which Poda then grabs and "eats"??? afterwards so I assumed it was involved with their organization. I also had a feeling I'd seen it before and went back and found this: http://www.poppy-opossum.com/comic/poppy-3-page-28-2/

Woah good catch.

If you want another mind gently caress, you know what happened in the recent Friedrich intermission with his memories getting locked and leaving a keyhole behind?

There's actually a page earlier in the comic that very barely shows that Mary has a similar keyhole at the base of her skull

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Man that is a weak rear end defense of someone completely failing to meaningfully capture what was/is unique about South African apartheid/racism.

Lol

I was calling webcomics in general bad. Hunger Games: Souf Efrika edition is an example of authors retreating into fantasy worlds instead of dealing with reality when telling stories about inequality.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Dec 1, 2016

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
so outside the gimmick which webcomics do you like lamp

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Nedroid. I'd also have to say that The Young Pope really transcended the medium as a webcomic.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Tollymain posted:

so outside the gimmick which webcomics do you like lamp

Kill Six Billion Demons unless that avatar is one of those ironic/bought for them avatars.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Avshalom posted:

in fact i act just like that irl

Friend Avshalom, can you recommend a good comic about birds

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Poison Mushroom posted:

I refuse to click that link now, but this is starting to sound like exactly the kind of poo poo 14 year old me would have been really into, then looked back on years later and realized in retrospect that it's actually really loving weird and questionable.

So, yeah, just skipping straight to the last step there.

Your loss. It's hosed up, but a whole lot of fun.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
I don't care about Weapon Brown, largely because I don't care about US newspaper funnies. (Of which I'm only familiar with Calvin & Hobbs and Peanuts.) I'm sure it's more entertaining if you do get the references.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
So he changed gimmicks from fanart is the failing of society to webcomics.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

I'm digging Amy's Rogue Antiquitarian outfit in Bad Machinery.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

Archenteron posted:

Friend Avshalom, can you recommend a good comic about birds
sadly i cannot. so instead i've created a comic of my own, a love story between my rooster big bird, a gentle idiot who can't crow for poo poo, and his very tiny girlfriend gemma. it's quite a simple narrative as they are simple creatures

i've left out the part directly afterward where he leaps on her and takes her passionately up the bum because this is a family-friendly website

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Chickens don't have bums, Avshalom.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Regardless, it is a beautiful comic.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

Android Blues posted:

Chickens don't have bums, Avshalom.
where does the poo come from

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Avshalom posted:

where does the poo come from

The penis

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
don't you give me sass i am a learned man

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Don't birds have an omni-bum

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Xarbala posted:

Don't birds have an omni-bum

Is that the name of the sequel to What Birds Know?

• Locked thread