Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

aphid_licker posted:

That's good to hear. The first bit at least.
the second bit is neither good nor bad, just a fact of life--how many americans will some random dude from the Voightland or the Erzgebirge meet? Just me. And when I accidentally insult someone, or they accidentally insult me, it sucks but i'm also fortunate that i've been so many places, and met so many people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

HEY GAL posted:

none whatsoever, although some of my friends do not have enough experience with people who are not east german not to get mad when i accidentally do something that is rude in their culture but not in mine

Please tell me it's something hilarious like "being a designated driver."

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

HEY GAL posted:

the second bit is neither good nor bad, just a fact of life--how many americans will some random dude from the Voightland or the Erzgebirge meet? Just me. And when I accidentally insult someone, or they accidentally insult me, it sucks but i'm also fortunate that i've been so many places, and met so many people.

Yeah I kinda kludged the sentence back there. I got what you meant, ie surmountable intercultural friction stemming from using slightly different protocols.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

HEY GAL posted:

some of my friends do not have enough experience with people who are not east german not to get mad when i accidentally do something that is rude in their culture but not in mine

Sounds like good friends to have when living abroad.

weak wrists big dick
Dec 18, 2012

good job. you are getting legitametly upset because I won't confrom to your secret internet cliques gross social standards. Sorry I don't like anime. Sorry I don't like being gross on the internet. Sorry that you are getting caremad.

your stupid shit internet argument is also only half true once I get probated, so checkmate anyways but nice try.

]
What are some lesser known "proxy wars"/conflicts from the Cold War?
I'm interested in anything from live fire engagements to stuff similar to the "airdropped condoms" myth of WW2 (Allies dropped super big condoms labeled as American over Germany to demoralize them. I am fairly certain this never happened)

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camp_Angel

so I read about this today...apparently my mom's house is on part of this?

it's pretty interesting....do any of you CO enthusiasts have any more info than what's on the wiki page?

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?
Isn't the A-10 able to use less developed runways than some of the more advanced jets? Being based closer to the front cuts into response time.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

I got accosted on the S Bahn once in Berlin by a visibly drunk guy wearing those blue coveralls that construction guys wear. He heard me speaking my obviously accented German and started ranting about foreigners loving up the city.

The great bit was that three random people I've never met immediately started in on him telling him to poo poo the gently caress up and stop being an embarrassment. The best was when one of them said he talked like a southerner so he should shut the gently caress up about foreigners in the city. :haw:

There was something just so German about a 21st century Berliner using centuries old regional prejudices to tell someone to stop being a xenophobic twit.

Cyrano4747 fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Dec 1, 2016

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Cyrano4747 posted:

I got accosted on the S Bahn once in Berlin by a visibly drunk guy wearing those blue coveralls that construction guys wear. He heard me speaking my obviously accented German and started ranting about foreigners loving up the city.

The great bit was that three random people I've never met immediately started in on him telling him to poo poo the gently caress up and stop being an embarrassment. The best was when one of them said he talked like a southerner so he should shut the gently caress up about foreigners in the city. :haw:

There was something just so German about a 21st century Berliner using centuries old regional prejudices to tell someone to stop being a xenophobic twit.
last weekend i visited system metternich and apparently his peoples' slur for people from munich is "isar-prussians" because none of them sound like bavarians

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

TerminalSaint posted:

Isn't the A-10 able to use less developed runways than some of the more advanced jets? Being based closer to the front cuts into response time.

Being closer to the front is a great way to get your jets blown up on the ground.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/September_2012_Camp_Bastion_raid

The notion of intrepid airmen and ground crews maintaining a meaningful forward presence on rough or improvised airfields is another thing that sounds superfically great in theory but really doesn't work out too well in practice.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Henderson field something something something

Oorah!

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Bastion is def not a hasty airfield and considering the type of environment i don't think it'd be fair to call that a front line place. Don't underestimate the ability to land/take off from a dirt patch. It's not something to be done for a sustained time but it greatly enhances flexibility and is very useful

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

FastestGunAlive posted:

Bastion is def not a hasty airfield and considering the type of environment i don't think it'd be fair to call that a front line place. Don't underestimate the ability to land/take off from a dirt patch. It's not something to be done for a sustained time but it greatly enhances flexibility and is very useful

It's not useful at all. There's zero ability to keep your aircraft supplied that far forward and if you're talking about V/STOL your payloads are useless.

JcDent posted:

Henderson field something something something

Oorah!

Exactly.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

bewbies posted:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camp_Angel

so I read about this today...apparently my mom's house is on part of this?

it's pretty interesting....do any of you CO enthusiasts have any more info than what's on the wiki page?

Unfortunately all I know about camp angel is that it existed, and that it was fairly unique in terms of defining work of national importance as literature, theatre and the general "arts", even though all of that was with an eye to propaganda. A pretty amazing thing really when you think about it - and like a lot of CO camps it formed a nucleus of radical thinking, culture and art that would subsequently propel local and national thought. Sadly, that's pretty much what you'd get from reading the Wikipedia page, but I can at least say that it's likely to be the most sophisticated example of a government actually dealing with COs - putting men to nationally important work beyond manual labour, and acknowledging that the development and maintenance of radical thought was nationally important.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

weak wrists big dick posted:

What are some lesser known "proxy wars"/conflicts from the Cold War?
I'm interested in anything from live fire engagements to stuff similar to the "airdropped condoms" myth of WW2 (Allies dropped super big condoms labeled as American over Germany to demoralize them. I am fairly certain this never happened)

Well, there was a pretty vicious proxy war in the Congo/Zaire. The US backed guy eventually won, although he was overthrown in the 90s by a dude who had survived a CIA assassination attempt.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

sullat posted:

Well, there was a pretty vicious proxy war in the Congo/Zaire. The US backed guy eventually won, although he was overthrown in the 90s by a dude who had survived a CIA assassination attempt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvTv-I2Y390

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

Phanatic posted:

It's not useful at all. There's zero ability to keep your aircraft supplied that far forward and if you're talking about V/STOL your payloads are useless.

Exactly.

Nah we've done it several times to move things and people around, do farp, etc

Well What Now
Nov 10, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Shredded Hen

Cyrano4747 posted:

I was in a pub once and a drunken English guy started telling me about all the terrible racism in the United States before immediately swerving onto a tangent about the "damned Pakis".

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

MikeCrotch posted:

"We never want to work with the Navy again!"

The finger on the monkey's paw curls towards the palm...

It may have been more a change of management and leadership. Ben Rich talks a lot about the procurement process in his memoirs, and he notes one of Kelly Johnson's important rules was to never do business with the Navy because trying to work with them was a nightmare. Rich disregarded this rule when he proposed to the Navy building a stealth ship, which became the Sea Shadow. The Sea Shadow was conceived of as a SAM platform to guard NATO fleets against Soviet air strikes that the Soviets wouldn't realize was there until it was shooting Backfires and Bears out of the sky. According to Ben Rich, the Navy was so hostile to the idea and such a pain in the rear end to work with that when someone at the Skunk Works did a concept study on a stealth aircraft carrier, Rich personally canned the idea because gently caress working with the Navy ever again.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Quick question, what was military radio technology like back in 1990? Were personal radios available/useful? I'm especially interested in Soviet Union, Greece and Turkey. I'm having trouble researching it due to the odd nature and was hoping there's someone around who reads Janes.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Wow I had no idea Jane's is a whole media group, guess I just sort of assumed that their only product was All the World's Fighting Ships and even that I thought stopped publishing by WWII. Are any of their modern products worth it?

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Cythereal posted:

It may have been more a change of management and leadership. Ben Rich talks a lot about the procurement process in his memoirs, and he notes one of Kelly Johnson's important rules was to never do business with the Navy because trying to work with them was a nightmare. Rich disregarded this rule when he proposed to the Navy building a stealth ship, which became the Sea Shadow. The Sea Shadow was conceived of as a SAM platform to guard NATO fleets against Soviet air strikes that the Soviets wouldn't realize was there until it was shooting Backfires and Bears out of the sky. According to Ben Rich, the Navy was so hostile to the idea and such a pain in the rear end to work with that when someone at the Skunk Works did a concept study on a stealth aircraft carrier, Rich personally canned the idea because gently caress working with the Navy ever again.

:stare:

Is there some kind of reason they're worse to work with than everyone else?

ChickenWyngz
Apr 3, 2015

Got them WMD's! Got that Pandemic!
Continues to be best thread.

Re the A10/Cas chat: What's the smallest drone that could carry a hellfire or a small hydra 70 pod? I mean like a copter/something launched from a ramp on a 4WD an infantry unit could have with them for instant Cas? I realise I'm venturing into gay black videogame territory here, but there is the sky saker h300.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Phanatic posted:

What do you mean minimal delay? The plane's slow as hell, so the delay's only minimal if you have one right by you already when you need it. There's a whole lot of selection bias in stories about how great the A-10 is. You hear stories from soldiers who swear it saved their rear end in a tight spot, you don't hear stories from soldiers who weren't saved by an A-10 because there wasn't one nearby so instead they were saved by an F-16, or a B-1, or any of the other platforms we have that have proved to be extremely effective at CAS. CAS is about coordination with the troops on the ground, not about gun runs.

I think the idea with them is that they have quite efficient engines and can fly slowly so they can hang around nearby.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

spectralent posted:

:stare:

Is there some kind of reason they're worse to work with than everyone else?

According to Rich's memoirs, the Navy was extremely conservative (in doctrine and technology), traditional, and hierarchical. One of the big problems the Navy had with the Sea Shadow is that the Sea Shadow would have had a crew of around a dozen if not less - and it certainly wouldn't have needed something like a paint locker, which every Navy ship since before the American Revolution has had. The Navy had zero interest in buying a small number of expensive, secretive ships, there's no prestige in captaining a Sea Shadow and it would be a terrible career move for anyone in the Navy.

The bulk of Rich's complaints throughout the book, though, are about how convoluted, arcane, and drawn-out the military-industrial procurement process became in the second half of the 20th century. Rich loathed bureaucracy and anything that distracted from letting the soldiers tell the engineers what they need and letting the engineers work with the soldiers to build what the soldiers need. He wasn't happy with the amount of bureaucracy and politics surrounding the F-117, and the Sea Shadow was worse. Then he was really unhappy with the politics and mess surrounding what would become the B-2 project and how and why Lockheed failed to get that contract.

Going by his memoirs, Kelly Johnson and Ben Rich would have been begging to be first in line to guillotine everyone involved with the F-35 and probably the F-22.

Edit: Pulled out the book. Kelly Johson's unofficial Rule Fifteen: "Starve before doing business with the damned Navy. They don't know what in hell they want and will drive you up a wall before they break either your heart or a more exposed part of your anatomy."

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Dec 2, 2016

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

FAUXTON posted:

Please tell me it's something hilarious like "being a designated driver."
i was eating with them, and threw some food i didn't want away before offering it to them. i didn't want to give them something that had been in my mouth, because we don't know one another very well and that's nasty. they were deeply offended.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

OK now I have this image of you feeding them the way a mama bird feeds her babies

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

ChickenWyngz posted:

Continues to be best thread.

Re the A10/Cas chat: What's the smallest drone that could carry a hellfire or a small hydra 70 pod? I mean like a copter/something launched from a ramp on a 4WD an infantry unit could have with them for instant Cas? I realise I'm venturing into gay black videogame territory here, but there is the sky saker h300.

For something like a Hellfire it is hard to get much smaller than a Reaper and still have useful range/endurance, and if you get much smaller than that it is generally more cost effective to just make the vehicle itself a weapon. That said there's proposals for arming drones as small as the Shadow (~300 lbs class) but you tend to suffer serious inefficiencies in scale when you get that small.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

What if we duct tape wings and a model rocket to a handgun

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth

Crazycryodude posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gyrojet

ChickenWyngz
Apr 3, 2015

Got them WMD's! Got that Pandemic!

bewbies posted:

For something like a Hellfire it is hard to get much smaller than a Reaper and still have useful range/endurance, and if you get much smaller than that it is generally more cost effective to just make the vehicle itself a weapon. That said there's proposals for arming drones as small as the Shadow (~300 lbs class) but you tend to suffer serious inefficiencies in scale when you get that small.

Thanks for the follow up :)

Crazycryodude posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqHrTtvFFIs

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

The Platonic ideal of an infantry-portable CAS drone right here

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Knobb Manwich posted:

Quick question, what was military radio technology like back in 1990? Were personal radios available/useful? I'm especially interested in Soviet Union, Greece and Turkey. I'm having trouble researching it due to the odd nature and was hoping there's someone around who reads Janes.

Probably? Not from those countries but https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clansman was definitely around before then. How small are you after?

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Sorry, I'll rephrase. Would soldiers in those armies have individual radios to communicate with each other as a unit? e: in late 80s early 90s.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

Cythereal posted:

According to Rich's memoirs, the Navy was extremely conservative (in doctrine and technology), traditional, and hierarchical. One of the big problems the Navy had with the Sea Shadow is that the Sea Shadow would have had a crew of around a dozen if not less - and it certainly wouldn't have needed something like a paint locker, which every Navy ship since before the American Revolution has had. The Navy had zero interest in buying a small number of expensive, secretive ships, there's no prestige in captaining a Sea Shadow and it would be a terrible career move for anyone in the Navy.

There's an online photo tour of Sea Shadow:
https://www.maritime.org/tour/seashadow/
Since it was always meant to be a demo hull, there wasn't any provision for weapons, which means no need for fire control and ordnance crew. Presumably it would have had a larger crew if the design was scaled into an actual fighting ship. Twelve is about the fewest crew they would have assigned, automation or no, for a ship going out of sight of land. Surface ships have goofy watch rotations, but you still need time for people to operate the ship, do maintenance, and rest. If you're expecting to track targets and shoot them, you need people who do that too, plus maintenance on that equipment.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Man, that's one of the reason's why Heinlein's warrior-politician society (as outlined in Starship Troopers) is beautiful, yet way too loving idealistic a dream: if you sign up to ostensibly serve your country, then throw a bitchfit because Futurecraft Seamurderer isn't fast tracking your promotion fast enough, you're not going to be a virtuous politician either.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

JcDent posted:

Man, that's one of the reason's why Heinlein's warrior-politician society (as outlined in Starship Troopers) is beautiful, yet way too loving idealistic a dream: if you sign up to ostensibly serve your country, then throw a bitchfit because Futurecraft Seamurderer isn't fast tracking your promotion fast enough, you're not going to be a virtuous politician either.
technically, the guys i study are a warrior-politician society.
this is a great idea for numerous reasons including:

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Wallenstein kept coming up with armies and that was useful. That also meant they had someone with the vaguest idea about the course of the war in a position of power.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

HEY GAL posted:

technically, the guys i study are a warrior-politician society.
this is a great idea for numerous reasons including:

OTOH warrior-politicians gave us Ulysses s grant so its not all bad.

Oh and also Secretary of Defense James 'Mad Dog' Mattis now as well I guess lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Grant was an absolutely horrible president. Same with Jackson

Washington and Eisenhower were awesome though