Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

tap my mountain posted:

I'm still sad we didn't get that grim dark MegaMan shooter

I'm pretty sure we got 9 X games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Trying to "change up the formula" is how you ruin a game series. Mega Man didn't change its formula and it took them a long time to gently caress up and make a really bad one. Not every franchise needs to be Mario.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

Sakurazuka posted:

Grimdark reboots came to a head with Bomberman Zero, then everyone went 'too far' and backed off.

oof i forgot about b-zero

god what a travesty

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9OVv-J-LXQU

The most grim future imaginable

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Sakurazuka posted:

All the mainline games and both Revelations are all worth playing to a greater or lesser extent.

5 is fine but 6 is an absolute pile and not worth anyones time

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

Trying to "change up the formula" is how you ruin a game series. Mega Man didn't change its formula and it took them a long time to gently caress up and make a really bad one. Not every franchise needs to be Mario.

resi 4 is a lot of peoples favourite resi and was absolutely a massive change up to the formula

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Stux posted:

resi 4 is a lot of peoples favourite resi and was absolutely a massive change up to the formula

Yeah and it broke the franchise since no one was able to recapture what was good about it in the sequels, and no one would accept a return to the old fixed-camera gameplay either because they love RE4 so much. Which is why Resident Evil keeps trying to reinvent itself every year now.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Lurdiak posted:

MegaMan Soccer was on the SNES

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

Yeah and it broke the franchise since no one was able to recapture what was good about it in the sequels, and no one would accept a return to the old fixed-camera gameplay either because they love RE4 so much. Which is why Resident Evil keeps trying to reinvent itself every year now.

but 5 and 6 were just re4 done worse and the revelations games were really really good

i think ur theory is bunk bud and there are just good and bad games

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Stux posted:

5 is fine but 6 is an absolute pile and not worth anyones time

I platinumed 6 this year and enjoyed it.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Sakurazuka posted:

I platinumed 6 this year and enjoyed it.

i couldnt even get more than 50% of the way through a single story line before i got rid of it

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

i've only ever played 4 and it was pretty good

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I'm fairly certain I've played varying amounts of RE1-3 but RE4 was the only one I've been able to finish. Even that took until the Wii version for me to get beyond the initial village.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Resi 4 is legit one of the best designed games of all time.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

5 and 6 are good because they're co-op and all co-op games are immediately good, even when they're bad

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

incredible anyone disagrees with mem when its widely known i have the correct opinions

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
You once claimed that Super Mario Galaxy was bad, which is a very wrong opinion.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

bloodychill posted:

You once claimed that Super Mario Galaxy was bad, which is a very wrong opinion.

its no crash bandicoot thats fore sure

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

Stux posted:

incredible anyone disagrees with mem when its widely known i have the correct opinions

kirby is a good game series

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

bloodychill posted:

Were you like drunk at the time or...?

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

boy are my arms tired posted:

kirby is a good game series

its no SMT thats for sure

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Stux posted:

Thank god

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Stux, many of your opinions are very bad. Just thought you should know that.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

Stux posted:

bring back smt: imagine

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

glam rock hamhock posted:

Stux, many of your opinions are very bad. Just thought you should know that.

its no overwatch thats for sure

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Snak posted:

The demo was really cool.

This is the important thing. RE7 looks really neat, and it's also gonna be one of the first major VR games to boot.

Am I right in that the trailer that was just posted means they're gonna update the demo yet again?

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

Dewgy posted:

This is the important thing. RE7 looks really neat, and it's also gonna be one of the first major VR games to boot.

Am I right in that the trailer that was just posted means they're gonna update the demo yet again?

yeah they said there'd be a "tape 3" version of the demo

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

I haven't tried NG+ in Bloodborne, but in the Dark Souls series this isn't true. Having high stats and fully upgraded weapons absolutely destroys bosses in the first ~2/3 of the game, regardless of the slight extra health and damage it gives them.

Yeah but just knowing where every enemy is and how to fight the bosses makes things really easy for the beginning of the game even if you start a new game from the start :shrug:

Lurdiak posted:

And sure enough the 3D Mega Man games were all super awkward.

That said, they didn't leave the 2D ones alone for long and they got pretty bad for awhile too.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Dec 1, 2016

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

On the other hand there is no long-running franchise at this point which hasn't changed up its formula. You change your formula eventually or you die. It just depends on what that change is.

Like the closest I can think of is Dynasty Warriors which is absurdly long running and has minimal changes, but it gets by that by selling itself on different IPs. I guess you can argue sports games but you don't need to be a sports fan to know how significantly those change things up.

Good point keep talkin
Sep 14, 2011

RE4 is GOAT and also led to Dead Space 1 and 2 and The Last of Us which are pretty great. Say what you will about Capcom's failure to capture the same magic afterwards but it seemed like RE was doomed to a slow death unless they change something up, what with Zero kinda being a wet fart.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

plz dont pull out posted:

RE4 is GOAT and also led to Dead Space 1 and 2 and The Last of Us which are pretty great.

Also Gears of War and pretty much the entire modern over-the-shoulder action genre.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

also bloodborne changed up the souls formula and is the best game in the series

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

ImpAtom posted:

On the other hand there is no long-running franchise at this point which hasn't changed up its formula. You change your formula eventually or you die. It just depends on what that change is.

Like the closest I can think of is Dynasty Warriors which is absurdly long running and has minimal changes, but it gets by that by selling itself on different IPs. I guess you can argue sports games but you don't need to be a sports fan to know how significantly those change things up.

Total War is also pretty much the same as always, just iteratively better like Dynasty Warriors. And Civilization? Well, Civ has changed a bit...

But most games have changed, and the 2D->3D in particular has hosed up lots of games. Sonic and Megaman and Castlevania didn't fare so well, Zelda and Metroid did great.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

haveblue posted:

Also Gears of War and pretty much the entire modern over-the-shoulder action genre.

actually that was operation winback

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
CliffyB specifically cites RE4 as his inspiration for Gears

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

haveblue posted:

CliffyB specifically cites RE4 as his inspiration for Gears

which ripped off operation winback yes

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
"Changing up the formula" got us things like Metroid Prime and Paper Mario. Change is good sometimes.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

Total War is also pretty much the same as always, just iteratively better like Dynasty Warriors. And Civilization? Well, Civ has changed a bit...

But most games have changed, and the 2D->3D in particular has hosed up lots of games. Sonic and Megaman and Castlevania didn't fare so well, Zelda and Metroid did great.

Well, even then, a lot of those 2D franchises changed significantly and it helped them revive themselves.

Mega Man's biggest post-SNES success was when it became a weird JRPG/card game for example. Castlevania was given a huge boost from SotN moving it from pure platformer to Metroidvania. Franchises need to branch out and experiment. It doesn't always succeed but some of the best games of all times are experimental additions to a franchise. (RE4, Metroid Prime, Majora's Mask, SotN, ect, ect.)

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
I would buy a PSVR set to play RE7. I think it's cool that someone could see what I see on the TV, and that would make horror night more fun around my place. Capcom has been using Resident Evil as a malleable source of zombie games for years and I kind of love them for it. Even if they put out some duds, they aren't afraid to try something untested and wildly different from the previous entry. You have the obvious change at 4, but even before that there was Survivor. Then they had the online games with Outbreak, which were janky as hell but testing the waters with the PS2's modem. They gave us light gun games that the Wii needed that they certainly didn't have to. Umbrella Corps is a third-person PvPvE shooter that no one asked for or played, but Capcom did it. Even 5 and 6 could be considered zombie wrestling games under a charitable light. I'm half surprised there's not a kart racer and a Biohazard: Dancing All Night to round out the genres they've dabbled in. FPS horror games are not a thing I usually like but the demo was alright and I'm eager to see the reviews and impressions people have when RE7 comes out.

gently caress, now that I'm thinking about it, a RE: Gun Survivor game on the PS4 with the controls from Blue Estate would be pretty neat. Maybe something like the Chronicles games but covering 4, 5 and 6.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
I feel like the gameplay kind of advanced in RE5 and 6 compared to 4 but the design of the levels you were running through with that gameplay got worse in 5 and unspeakably bad in 6

• Locked thread