Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

You can't really blame it solely on Trump appointees, given that people like Lamar Smith have been on the war path against any sort of progressive environmental policy for years. Credit where credit is due, although the fake news and climate denial will undoubtedly get worse as time marches on.

For example, today the official Twitter account for the House Science committee tweeted out a link to a Breitbart article casting doubt on climate change because it's cold outside.

The account has had an anti-Obama, anti-regulation, climate skeptic bent for a while, but I guess they're kicking things up a notch now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Furnaceface posted:

I complained about this earlier in the thread. We are relatively sheltered from climate change (for now) and its really affecting how seriously people take it. Its going to take something tragic or dangerous happening that directly affects a large chunk of the population to get most people here to care enough about the damage we do to the world.

The US using NAFTA to claim all our fresh water to feed California/Nevada was something someone mentioned as a possible trigger but even now Im not sure that would be enough. :(

Here in Australia, a couple of things happened last month: two thirds of the Great Barrier Reef died, and the Prime Minister blamed wind power for a state-wide power grid outage during a massive storm. I really don't know what it would take for our "leaders" to engage seriously with this stuff, rather than just slotting it in to the political point-scoring machine.

(Also I wonder if there is some way of re-naming wind & solar power to make them appeal to the world's morons. Maybe "atmospheric power stripper" and "long-range fusion-blast capture system"...)

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Jesus panels and gunmills.

sitchensis
Mar 4, 2009

Rap Record Hoarder posted:

You can't really blame it solely on Trump appointees, given that people like Lamar Smith have been on the war path against any sort of progressive environmental policy for years. Credit where credit is due, although the fake news and climate denial will undoubtedly get worse as time marches on.

For example, today the official Twitter account for the House Science committee tweeted out a link to a Breitbart article casting doubt on climate change because it's cold outside.

The account has had an anti-Obama, anti-regulation, climate skeptic bent for a while, but I guess they're kicking things up a notch now.

Land temperatures != atmospheric temperatures :psyduck:

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

literally do not know what the gently caress

efb

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

The "eerie silence" is people with a brain trying to comprehend how you manage to get dressed in the morning

Salt Fish posted:

Jesus panels and gunmills.

My Jesus panels saved me! ($20 on my electricity bill)

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

1°C increase: It's only one degree! Natural variations!!

1°C decrease: Temperatures PLUNGE and PLUMMET Climate Change is FAKE

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

VectorSigma posted:

1°C increase: It's only one degree! Natural variations!!

1°C decrease: Temperatures PLUNGE and PLUMMET Climate Change is FAKE

*brings a snowball into the House chambers because snow still exists*

WHERE'S YOUR WARMING NOW

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

There is no further question; we're the baddies.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Wait 2/3 of the great barrier reef died , Jesus Christ wth.

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?
Don't worry, it's just natural variation. Nothing to be alarmed about.

Speaking of - last two days of November each saw a little over 100,000 sq km of growth in Arctic sea ice extent, about 70% of what's needed to catch up by next week. At that point, 2012 becomes the previous low, but the trends greatly suggest that it will become the second lowest to 2016 - for awhile to come.

At this point, there's basically no chance of 2016 Arctic sea ice extent catching up to 2012 before Christmas - and it seems unlikely to do so by the end of the year.

Oh, and one other thing: remember the 2016 prediction for an ice-free Arctic in the summer? While it was the 'date' cited, the prediction actually came with an error of ±3 years (2013 - 2019), and said prediction was for "nearly ice-free."

Evil_Greven fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Dec 2, 2016

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Hollismason posted:

Wait 2/3 of the great barrier reef died , Jesus Christ wth.

Sorry, I got my numbers mixed up. 2/3 of the coral in the North Sector died this year. It will take fifteen years to grow back, provided temperatures do not increase during that time, hahaha. Incidentally a 2-degree temperature rise results in 97% coral death.
However the South sector that the tourists generally see had very little bleaching. So no problem!! We even had one of our white nationalist senators go snorkelling there to raise awareness of the fact that global warming is a conspiracy by the Greens to hurt Queensland's tourism industry.
Other threats to the reef include the time a bulk coal carrier ran aground in it, the time US bombers on a training mission had to jettison some spare bombs onto the reef, and the Queensland government's plan to dredge channels directly through the reef to let more coal ships through.

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
So here are how things are now, and how things ended up in a few previous years if those years were shifted down to the current arctic sea ice area.

At this point, I suspect my estimation of 2016 arctic sea ice area ending in the yellow might be too high.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Evil_Greven fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Dec 2, 2016

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
That descending, nicely ordered row of 2012 2013 2014 2015 on the y-axis there certainly is, uh, evocative of the situation we are in

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
Oh. I hadn't noticed that, but you are certainly correct. Fascinating.

I suppose the superimposed lines would be curious to see, too:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

I'll put my chips in the pink triangle.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

on the topic of coral reefs: is it not possible to relocate or create new ones? I understand that these are massive ecosystems that live in a fragile balance and are organisms that built up over thousands of years, but from what I can see ... they're going to die regardless. Even if we manage to curb our emissions we still won't be able to slow down ocean temperatures rising too high for the reefs to survive - so can't we try building a new reef in an area that is now cold but that will heat up as the ocean inevitably will?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

double nine posted:

on the topic of coral reefs: is it not possible to relocate or create new ones? I understand that these are massive ecosystems that live in a fragile balance and are organisms that built up over thousands of years, but from what I can see ... they're going to die regardless. Even if we manage to curb our emissions we still won't be able to slow down ocean temperatures rising too high for the reefs to survive - so can't we try building a new reef in an area that is now cold but that will heat up as the ocean inevitably will?

Its Ocean Acidity that is the larger overall issue, coral is particularly sensitive to ocean acidification.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

https://twitter.com/SenSanders/status/804432339640037376

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

double nine posted:

What part of your own pointing out that they take thousands of years do you not understand?

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

TildeATH posted:

What part of your own pointing out that they take thousands of years do you not understand?

I donno, maybe the fact that Dubai has done it and apparently succeeded?

so ... why aren't we doing it for the great barrier?

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

TildeATH posted:

well in the year 3016 there could be a sprawling new great barrier reef around the scottish highlands islands :v:

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

double nine posted:

Where would you move the largest coral reef in the world so that it'd be safe from both temperature changes and ocean acidification?

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

double nine posted:

Oh my God, you're serious, aren't you?

I can't believe people like you are given the franchise.

ArmTheHomeless
Jan 10, 2003

Conspiratiorist posted:

Where would you move the largest coral reef in the world so that it'd be safe from both temperature changes and ocean acidification?

A giant fish tank.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Conspiratiorist posted:

Also the Dubai story is from a source that has a censorship process dictated by the UAE, so its probably going to be pretty optimistic about the environmental impacts of moving coral.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

TildeATH posted:

Oh my God, you're serious, aren't you?

I can't believe people like you are given the franchise.

not really - at least not in the literal sense. But taking bits and pieces of the current reef and sticking it in a place where it can grow so that we keep some eco-diversity doesn't sound like a bad idea to me.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

double nine posted:

not really - at least not in the literal sense. But taking bits and pieces of the current reef and sticking it in a place where it can grow so that we keep some eco-diversity doesn't sound like a bad idea to me.

I blame Western pharmaceuticals and that Anthony Hopkins movie for this basic misunderstanding of ecology as being a catalog of specimens. Eco-diversity is not about having one of each thing. The entire reef is the ecosystem, parceling it out doesn't give you a Reef Seed it just gives you some isolated components. Like keeping a saint's fingerbone.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

You would have to do some kind of thing like fish farming, where you have a section of reef that's in the ocean but partially isolated so that you can control the temperature and acidity of the water. It wouldn't be practical on a very large scale.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
The implication being that countries that depend on fisheries that depend on reefs have no recourse.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

double nine posted:

Well, the reef itself is sort of doing that already, with some corals starting to appear a bit further south each year. The problem is... well, the GBR is big; you could comfortably stretch it from New York to Cuba or from Scotland to Morocco. And that's not 2000+km of one ecosystem, but rather many tiny overlapping systems with their own set of obscure sub-species.
I guess preserving some diversity is better than preserving none, but for [non-ecocidal] Australians it feels a lot like a Parisian being told they must relocate the Louvre by shifting three paintings and a sculpture or two.

Another question- which thread is more soul-destroying, this one or the Middle East Thread of Despair?

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Tree Bucket posted:

Well, the reef itself is sort of doing that already, with some corals starting to appear a bit further south each year. The problem is... well, the GBR is big; you could comfortably stretch it from New York to Cuba or from Scotland to Morocco. And that's not 2000+km of one ecosystem, but rather many tiny overlapping systems with their own set of obscure sub-species.
I guess preserving some diversity is better than preserving none, but for [non-ecocidal] Australians it feels a lot like a Parisian being told they must relocate the Louvre by shifting three paintings and a sculpture or two.

Another question- which thread is more soul-destroying, this one or the Middle East Thread of Despair?

Depends on your ability to comprehend the unprecedented, utterly irrecoverable catastrophe that global warming will bring over the next 20 years and beyond. poo poo in the ME is happening right now and can give you plethora of personal accounts so it's easier to relate to for primitive monkey brains.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Conspiratiorist posted:

Depends on your ability to comprehend the unprecedented, utterly irrecoverable catastrophe that global warming will bring over the next 20 years and beyond. poo poo in the ME is happening right now and can give you plethora of personal accounts so it's easier to relate to for primitive monkey brains.

Isnt climate change going to intensify the ME problems as populations are forced to migrate out of areas that were once habitable?

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Furnaceface posted:

Isnt climate change going to intensify the ME problems as populations are forced to migrate out of areas that were once habitable?

Nah man that's the beauty of the plan. When summer rolls around those people will just die quietly!

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,

VectorSigma posted:

I'll put my chips in the pink triangle.

That might be a good bet.

+88,180 sq km on December 1st is pretty loving low.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.

Evil_Greven posted:

That might be a good bet.

+88,180 sq km on December 1st is pretty loving low.

I should mention because I haven't said it; I appreciate your daily updates because it's something that slaps me in the face whenever I start to feel even slightly complacent and tells me to get back to work

Dr. Furious
Jan 11, 2001
KELVIN
My bot don't know nuthin' 'bout no KELVIN

TildeATH posted:

I blame Western pharmaceuticals and that Anthony Hopkins movie for this basic misunderstanding of ecology as being a catalog of specimens. Eco-diversity is not about having one of each thing. The entire reef is the ecosystem, parceling it out doesn't give you a Reef Seed it just gives you some isolated components. Like keeping a saint's fingerbone.

To expand on this, species diversity increases as you get closer to the equator. Tropical areas have a greater number of species per unit area. This means competition is high and most species are highly specialized to efficiently exploit a particular niche, and even more so given that there is less seasonal variation in weather near the equator. Consequently, tropical species tend to be restricted to whatever localized environment best supports them. As you climb a mountain in the Amazon, for example, the environment becomes cooler and plant and animal species will vary greatly over relatively small distances. As average temperatures climb, those habitats have to shift up the mountain, and those species that can't keep up are at greater risk of extinction. If a shift of a few hundred meters is unfeasible, relocating to another latitude is out of the question, and you'd have to scoop up huge sections to actually preserve the total diversity anyway.

StabbinHobo
Oct 18, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Furnaceface posted:

There's a book called 'tropic of chaos' that makes a pretty compelling case that this is already well under way. While its by no means solely responsible, or even the primary cause, desertification can clearly be seen as a contributing factor in afghanistan, syria, kenya/ethiopia and mexico's problems today. Also the arab spring.

Essentially we're past the point where global warming is going to cause problems soon, and into phase 1.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Are there any updated maps that show or project global desertification? The last one I remember seeing was from 2013 and it was scary enough then, I can only imagine what 3 more years of data would have done.

Also Im assuming phase 2 is the resource war?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

Pillowpants posted:

I saw this thread and decided to read it because I work for an Green Energy company, and now I see why they're spending so much time in lovely red states on Solar and Wind Projects. Holy poo poo.

Why red states? I don't get it.

I know TED talks can be a lot of dumb bullshit to make people feel better, but how is this dudes idea? Basically using grazing animals for land management to reverse desertification of grasslands; the new fauna and top soil should absorb a lot of carbon. Is this dumb bull poo poo? Not practical on a large scale? Can McDonalds save the world? Honestly seems retarded he doesn't even mention the methane from the livestock.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpTHi7O66pI

edit: Reading about intensive rotational grazing and other such grazing methods really put a hamper on the points from that guys talk. It barely sequesters carbon in the best of cases, but better grazing methods certainly cause less damage (less carbon footprint, less soil damage, etc) than no grazing methods or burning fields.

Deadly Ham Sandwich fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Dec 3, 2016