Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

So if I understand things right, Derek is saying that Star Marine isn't in the Evocati build, but MoMA is saying that Derek is wrong because the Evocati build apparently includes the Star Marine files that are playable if you somehow hack the client similar to what people did years ago when the Illfonic stuff was accessible?
There's no "hacking" involved and this is unlike the previous build that Hobo leaked. I think that Star Marine is in the build but it's so hosed up that only a small portion of people are able to play it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Eldragon posted:

All fiction requires a certain amount of making poo poo up. And there are few original ideas that someone didn't come up with beforehand. Declaring something as an unoriginal derivative work is as old as Shakespeare. The consumer can either accept that and relax, or can sperg out and post about it on the internet.

In other words, ripping off ideas from older sci-fi is the least of CR's problems.

True. But it's still fun to bitch about it.

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I agree, but I feel like it's important to know the subtle nuances associated with each argument.

Fair enough.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I agree, but I feel like it's important to know the subtle nuances associated with each argument.
It's a good argument.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

peter gabriel posted:

I dunno it's a bit left field for him 'Cantina' maybe, with alien elephants playing cyber trumpets and poo poo

hahaha a few pages back but had a mighty lol and wiped a tear from eye at 'cyber trumpets'

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

You're right. It's really not that big of a deal, and since you have to call these things something you might as well go with the trope.

However, calling the Banu ship a "Merchantman" make absolutely no sense, since nearly every ship released so far aside the various single seater and obvious military ships fit in that category. The Starfarer, Carrack, the garbage barge, the news van. All merchantman.

Chin
Dec 12, 2005

GET LOST 2013
-RALPH

ManofManyAliases posted:

Sean Tracy: " In addition to testing Star Marine and new ships like the Herald, the 85X and the Caterpillar, they’re also going to be helping test the web version of Spectrum. There’s a lot of kinks to work out still, but so far they’ve already done a lot to help us find and tackle bugs."

Derek?

Derek?

Derek?

edit: Derek - how could the evocati be testing SM if it isn't in the current build?

edit 2: Derek - please respond. Can you please comment, in detail, why you were so wrong but said you were so right?
Sean Tracy lies all the loving time.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

ManofManyAliases posted:

Sean Tracy: " In addition to testing Star Marine and new ships like the Herald, the 85X and the Caterpillar, they’re also going to be helping test the web version of Spectrum. There’s a lot of kinks to work out still, but so far they’ve already done a lot to help us find and tackle bugs."

Derek?

Derek?

Derek?

edit: Derek - how could the evocati be testing SM if it isn't in the current build?

edit 2: Derek - please respond. Can you please comment, in detail, why you were so wrong but said you were so right?

As soon as you post the part where there is ANY indication that Star Marine is in the Evocati 2.6 build, we can have a meaningful dialog. ktnx bye.

Kakarot
Jul 20, 2013

by zen death robot
Buglord

:vince:

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
throw MoMA from the tane

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

nawledgelambo
Nov 8, 2016

Immersion chariot

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

So if I understand things right, Derek is saying that Star Marine isn't in the Evocati build, but MoMA is saying that Derek is wrong because the Evocati build apparently includes the Star Marine files that are playable if you somehow hack the client similar to what people did years ago when the Illfonic stuff was accessible?

Yea pretty much, the only thing thats been shown was a bit that someone cobbled up from mining the data files. This, MoMA is showing us is indisputable evidence of Star Marine being "in" 2.6. Meanwhile Derek is 100% convinced that it isn't in the build itself, as readily being accessible. I constitute the latter being correct, considering the leaks being posted in the subreddit, none of them have shown actual gameplay.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Derek and MOMA are fighting over who's technically correct

And it's lookin like both are

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

nawledgelambo posted:

Yea pretty much, the only thing thats been shown was a bit that someone cobbled up from mining the data files. This, MoMA is showing us is indisputable evidence of Star Marine being "in" 2.6. Meanwhile Derek is 100% convinced that it isn't in the build itself, as readily being accessible. I constitute the latter being correct, considering the leaks being posted in the subreddit, none of them have shown actual gameplay.
But, the watertight NDA?!?

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

CrcleSqreSanchz posted:

Hmmm I walk like 17km a day, and need good boots for the -50 winters. My preference is rugged footwear that can take abuse.

Talk about your preference in footwear ITT

Day to day I wear some of these but patent leather at the moment

I like them they are comfy and shiny :3:

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Derek has been wrong about literally everything except the Aegis POTATO and Moma's only correct prediction was some form of 2.6 going to avocado the other day so until either one of them shows proof I'm sticking with they are both full of poo poo but I am enjoying the slapfight immensely.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Smug and sassy Moma is really brightening up the thread

Ol Cactus Dick posted:

Derek has been wrong about literally everything except the Aegis POTATO and Moma's only correct prediction was some form of 2.6 going to avocado the other day so until either one of them shows proof I'm sticking with they are both full of poo poo but I am enjoying the slapfight immensely.

hell, fair

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Beer-evocati are playing and testing it right now. Derek is saying it's not even in there.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

TheAgent posted:

whoa star marine is 12v12!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

T-T-T-T-T-TABLE BREAKER! FATALITY!

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

TheAgent posted:

hmm wait moma whats your stance on pizza?

Not touching this one at all.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

:five::five::five::five:

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

sounds like derek and moma are cruisin towards a showdown at the :toxx: corral

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

peter gabriel posted:

Day to day I wear some of these but patent leather at the moment

I like them they are comfy :3:
Old school Kickers?

I used to wear those when I was a kid, had a billion tags hanging off em.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

ManofManyAliases posted:

Not touching this one at all.

At least he is showing proper shame over his ridiculous hipster pizza preference.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Yes.

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

D_Smart posted:

As soon as you post the part where there is ANY indication that Star Marine is in the Evocati 2.6 build, we can have a meaningful dialog. ktnx bye.

Oh. Only the imaginary people I speak with must be playing it then. I'm not outing anyone or giving into this reverse psychology. Go play it if you have evocati (you don't).

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Ol Cactus Dick posted:

It's ok, quoting me can apparently be detrimental to your ability to have your posts read by the wahlord. Perhaps I should add a warning label.

You see, goons? We don't have to fight each other! We can get along! We're stronger together!

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

tooterfish posted:

Old school Kickers?

I used to wear those when I was a kid, had a billion tags hanging off em.

Yeah! Just one tag on these but they are shiny so that's the good thing

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

like "Oh Star Marine is cancelled or Where's Star Marine!?" Star Marine was just a game mode for people to play the FPS elements of Star Citizen until we could combine everything together: Flying, walking around, shooting, doing all the rest of the stuff, all together, that is what is in 2.0, that's what it's 2.1.

and that's what's in 2.6

ripptide
Jul 28, 2016

peter gabriel posted:

The best way of understanding it is this:

MoMMA likes posh shoes
Derek has expressed no preference on shoes

But Derek has expressed a dislike of pizza, and MoMA has expressed no preference, so it balances out.

Or we just don't care.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

ManofManyAliases posted:

Oh. Only the imaginary people I speak with must be playing it then. I'm not outing anyone or giving into this reverse psychology. Go play it if you have evocati (you don't).

Do you have first hand knowledge of Star Marine or is it just the sources you have are so trustworthy to you that you will stand by them?

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

tooterfish posted:

But, the watertight NDA?!?

Yeah, considering all the images of the Caterpillar and the bar, the NDA is as solid as MoMa's cast-iron ToS that was torn to shreds, then eviscerated by the State of CA.

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

peter gabriel posted:

Do you have first hand knowledge of Star Marine or is it just the sources you have are so trustworthy to you that you will stand by them?

Yes.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Xarbala posted:

quote:

Ol Cactus Dick posted:

Welcome to my ignore filter

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

The Titanic posted:

Because you are preparing for your great wolly mammoth hunt, no doubt, you big strong guy you with your aptitude for left and right differentiation. Were I to go, you'd say "Hit the left!" And I'd literally stab myself with my spear as I try to go around to the right side you wanted me to go to.

Then I should pat you on the head, take the furs off your feet and walk you back to the firepit, since you couldn't POSSIBLY get back there on your own, amirite?

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

ManofManyAliases posted:

Oh. Only the imaginary people I speak with must be playing it then.

you jest but i'm starting to sincerely believe this

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

I am bamboozled

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Meridian posted:

The Titanic simply can't turn fast enough.

SHE IS TOO AN AMBI-TURNER!

• Locked thread