Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

my dad posted:

Come on, this is getting awkward for the Slayer's Keep, we've had to reschedule you funeral a dozen times by now.

This just reminds me of one of my favorite pieces of 40k lore. Commissar Cain has survived impossible odds and ridiculous danger so many times - often returning after being declared dead - that he is permanently listed as active duty so that they don't have to keep going back and changing his records to "alive". He died years ago and was buried with full military honors at a well attended funeral, but is still listed as active duty just in case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

Rygar201 posted:

It's important to remember that all this poo poo doesn't match what another writer will have written at some point. Make of it what you will, ya know?

This is like a super important point when discussing both Fantasy and 40K; a lot of the sources for lore aren't really an external Word Of God - This Is 100% How Things Are From A Neutral Unbiased Position. The army books, splats, heck the entire Black Library catalogue is basically faction propaganda to a greater or lesser degree. More "How They See Themselves" rather than "How They Actually Are".

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

KazigluBey posted:

This is like a super important point when discussing both Fantasy and 40K; a lot of the sources for lore aren't really an external Word Of God - This Is 100% How Things Are From A Neutral Unbiased Position. The army books, splats, heck the entire Black Library catalogue is basically faction propaganda to a greater or lesser degree. More "How They See Themselves" rather than "How They Actually Are".

It's less an intentional 'faction propaganda' thing (though I'm sure they still use that line) and more 'Has been written about for like 30 years by dozens of authors and there's no way in hell anyone's herding those cats'.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Angry Lobster posted:

Oh yes, he knows that and mortifies him to no end. At least most of the slayers that got involved with them got semi-glorious deaths, except poor Snorri :(

Gotrek does get his glorious death. He fights Grimnir, dies in battle, and is immediately brought back to life to take the slayer god's place fighting the endless hordes of Chaos.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
I had to make a gif of some of the eagle animations because they're just too good.

Sjonnar
Oct 22, 2011

John Charity Spring posted:

I had to make a gif of some of the eagle animations because they're just too good.

Ha! :rip: that guy.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

John Charity Spring posted:

I see just the bird part of a catbird still performs very well.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Psycho Landlord posted:

The Empire is filled with opportunistic idiots who have a long and proud history of killing off half their people in doctrinal and political warfare, plus the witch hunters exist and have quotas to meet. The Imps only look nice because they're next door to Brettonia.

Civil wars happen in real life too. Witch hunters make complete sense in a world where magic is real and also comes from the land of 4 billion densely packed demons and 3 and a half gods that want to destroy the world.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

Terrible Opinions posted:

As far as I can tell this is also dependant on the vampire in question. Back in Vlad's day he was legit supposed to have popular support and pre-Storm of Chaos Von Carstein vampires could take human auxilleries in addition to the undead horde; giving you access to the most coveted of vampire powers projectile weapons on skirmishers. There were also other army alterations of different vampire bloodlines and master necromancers. Necrarches could bring unridden zombie dragons, master necromancers couldn't use vampires but got all other units at a significantly reduced price (could be implemented in TW as an upkeep reduction), Lahmians could take a hero from any other faction in the game as a mind slave, Blood Dragons could use Bretonnia's special formation rules, and Strigoi got umm slightly better ghouls. Those these were also the better times were Mannfred still had his widow's peak and Zacharias had only had his backstory retconned like twice we swear.

Yeah it's all really variable. Some vampires are decent-ish and keep a low profile, some are crazy tyrants. Some look human and just want to be left alone to rule their little corner of the world, some are inhuman monsters who raise armies of the dead and march around at the first chance. The only sure thing is that being suffused with Dark Magic taints all vampires to a certain degree. Although there are still vampires like Genevieve, who's a Bretonnian Lahmian vampire and is generally considered "good".

unwantedplatypus posted:

Now I'm trying to imagine the vampire lords you see ingame attempting to pass off as normal nobles.

"Well I thought I would try the bald look because I think it looks quite good on me. Oh, what about my dad's nose? He lost it in a war"

They use vampire magic to blend in. They can change their appearance to look perfectly human except for possibly (depending on the vampire) certain tells, like being burned by direct sunlight or not casting a reflection. But when the vampires are marching to war, there's no point in masquerading as human anymore, so they drop the illusion.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

All this vampire apologisim is shooting my heresy meter off the loving charts.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Basically the first vampires were huge pricks and most vampires thereafter have been pricks. The benign ones are uncommon and the good ones downright rare.

JacksAngryBiome
Oct 23, 2014

Plan Z posted:

Can't watch Legend. He's incredibly good at TW games, but his commentary is just awful. I know Heir of Carthage isn't the best guy at these games, but I can take listening to 30 minutes+ of him as he's a dorky lovable Dad who would rather explain how a game works than see a unit of female soldiers and go on about "raping" the "bitches" for like 3 minutes.

Another pretty cool dude to watch is Ninjahund. He's very good at the multiplayer, but he experiments around with composition a lot. I've seen him beat try-hard Brettonian flying squads with all-Gobbo armies.

Legend is horrible. He plays the same try-hard Brettonian army every match, whines constantly, and is obsessive about his ladder ranking. The last match of his I watched he spent the latter half whining about how he was going to lose because he took the time to type "nice job" or something like that to his opponent in chat and didn't micro for those three seconds.

Heir has some fun/funny moments. Turin is best because he keeps it light and positive, plays varied armies, and has fun.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

JacksAngryBiome posted:

Legend is horrible. He plays the same try-hard Brettonian army every match, whines constantly, and is obsessive about his ladder ranking. The last match of his I watched he spent the latter half whining about how he was going to lose because he took the time to type "nice job" or something like that to his opponent in chat and didn't micro for those three seconds.

Heir has some fun/funny moments. Turin is best because he keeps it light and positive, plays varied armies, and has fun.

Legend apparently only autoresolves his way through legendary campaigns and when called out on it he said its because he plays total war "skillfully"

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Legend's thing is exploiting the game as much as possible, including AI and player behavior. His focus on the Bretonnian army was because it worked against most Total War players and he had the stated goal of climbing the ladder, even Ninjahund knew exactly the build Legend was bringing and managed to get his rear end handed to himself (and his bitter meltdown over it was hilarious), then the meta caught up and Legend moved to an even more broken Empire build. He gets stuck when he finds something that works, and that's often something pretty cheesy. If anything he's lacking in sportsmanship, but not knowledge or skill.

Turin is the one you should watch to get good plays and good commentary.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Actually fighting battles on Legendary is no fun thanks to the cheats that the AI gets, autoresolve all the way.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Nanomashoes posted:

Actually fighting battles on Legendary is no fun thanks to the cheats that the AI gets, autoresolve all the way.

Also this.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Honestly, the best you get in terms of vampires in Warhammer is probably Geneviève, and even she did some shady poo poo over the centuries, out of boredom if nothing else. People keep bringing up Vlad but he could be quite ruthless and, as some have mentioned, saying he was better than the other claimants at the time really is not saying much as the others were utterly horrible.

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

Watch Yukitsu, support your local goon channels! But seriously approach quick battle without a care about rankings because like any other leaderboard-based MP game there are people who game the system. Pick the races you want, have fun, and play with goons. Hit us up!

By the way I'll be around for friendlies tonight so if you want to play without the frustration of getting paired with a guy like Legend let me know! I'm not as good as Mukip, Yukitsu, or Vox Nihili though so don't expect master-level play.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Nanomashoes posted:

Civil wars happen in real life too. Witch hunters make complete sense in a world where magic is real and also comes from the land of 4 billion densely packed demons and 3 and a half gods that want to destroy the world.

Oh, I never said most of that poo poo wasn't totally justified. But it being justified doesn't magically mean the Empire is a nice place to live outside of Altdorf while Franz is in power.

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

So what about Arch Warhammer? Anything good come out of that channel? Got linked it a bunch of times.

Also is there any good recommended LP of the micro campaign for Beastmen?

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

KazigluBey posted:

So what about Arch Warhammer?

Avoid at all costs.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Triskelli posted:

Avoid at all costs.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

KazigluBey posted:

So what about Arch Warhammer? Anything good come out of that channel? Got linked it a bunch of times.

Also is there any good recommended LP of the micro campaign for Beastmen?

I stopped watching when he consistently started ranting about feminists in his warhammer lore videos

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
How the gently caress are trade routes calculated? If you can't get an unbroken line between your capital to the other faction through your own territory / the sea from a port you own, you can't get trade? I've tried making alliances thinking that you could use their territory to trade through but apparently it doesn't work like that.

terrorist ambulance fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Dec 2, 2016

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I feel like the dwarf production upgrades are kinda mediocre unless you have a ton of trade deals. Even the more valuable goods like beer or gems are only available in like 2 or 3 provinces anyway.

It would be better if more trade goods had more secondary effects (like how beer gives beer+growth +public order) and the upgrades increased it further.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

terrorist ambulance posted:

How the gently caress are trade routes calculated? If you can't get an unbroken line between your capital to the other faction through your own territory / the sea from a port you own, you can't get trade? I've tried making alliances thinking that you could use their territory to trade through but apparently it doesn't work like that.

Correct. You really need a port tbh

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

Correct. You really need a port tbh

sucks for the races that can't get a port to their capital. see angrund

RestRoomLiterature-
Jun 3, 2008

staying regular
Someone break down why Not Egypt has beef with the Vampire Counts, sounds like interesting lore but I don't know jack about it.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
I liked watching lionheart, though haven't watched any of his warhammer stuff since pre-release.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

RestRoomLiterature- posted:

Someone break down why Not Egypt has beef with the Vampire Counts, sounds like interesting lore but I don't know jack about it.

Nekhara was where the original Necromancer, Nagash, was born. To make a long story short he was going to raise all the long dead kings and queens of Nekhara from their graves to serve him and him alone and conquer the world. The still living Nekharan Kings fouled things up enough that his whole ritual hosed up and the Tomb Kings rose as free willed, independent undead. Nekhara is now the land of the dead for the most part. The original Vampires were Nagash' lieutenants, so Tomb Kings and especially Khalida think they're loving garbage that has got to go. The Tomb Kings hate Nagash above all else.

Ironically, Nekhara is a pretty decent place to live for the few still living Nekharans. The Tomb Kings take any perceived threat to their few remaining descendants very seriously.

The Tomb Kings are great because upon all of them rising from the dead it was a huge clusterfuck of civil war because each Tomb King was asserting no this is MY land (spoiler: it was both of their lands at different times in history) against each other until somebody broke the seals on the Pyramid of Settra the Great, basically Alexander the Great and Qin Shi Huang rolled into one, who then cracked literal skulls and restored order because he's Settra and Settra kneels to NO ONE.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
Yeah, WHFantasy doesn't really have a "heresy!" or Commissar equivalent. Witch Hunters can do some seriously bad poo poo like kill a whole village, but they need to get the proper authorization from local authorities, or from the Witch Hunter Order if the local authorities are in on it. They are nearly always busy dealing with Chaos cults/Vampires to really politic or murder innocents for the sake of grimdark.

The few times you ever see a "gently caress the rules! we gotta deal with this now!" WH, things are obviously -very bad-, and they don't really have a choice. Like during a Skaven invasion. Or during a major Chaos incursion.

Most of the Empire also doesn't have "peasants" anymore, at least not from a literal meaning of the word. The people are educated/landowners for the most part, and many of them work in vocational trades. There are schools you send your kids to, there are doctors, etc etc. It's a civilized nation past the point of nobles and serfs.

This also swirls down to the regional conflicts. Yes the Elector Counts quarrel with themselves, but the actual citizens of the provinces are also very nationalistic/intelligent, and are also in on the quarreling.

The Empire isn't a modern day nation with the advances we've come up with. But for the time it's supposed to be set during, it's a goddamn beacon of acceptance and tolerance.

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI
Ok so that does actually sound pretty badass. I've never liked the TK because of the Egyptian aesthetic but that background is cool af

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

I am also expecting the Tomb Kings to have a similar campaign mechanic to the Wood Elves. Namely they've got core territory in Nekhara and have to occupy other places to acquire some resource (Artefacts, perhaps?) needed for their top-tier units, research and Wonder, since they are another isolationist power that sometimes kicks people in the teeth. Maybe a goal to destroy the Vampire Counts, though I don't think that would work if they come for the second game.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

The Nehekarans mostly want to be left alone to continue their dynastic squabbles in peace. Since there's not enough Nehekara to go around for all the many, many generations that were raised by Nagash's Great Spell (he was "killed" by the Skaven before he could finish the spell and they're all free willed skeletons) the Mighty Settra made some of them go back to sleep. Their tombs are often plundered by foreigners who have absolutely no idea what they're getting into, which typically ends in death by horrible curses or death by skeletons.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
I know the wood elf campaign is coming out soon, but have there been any rumblings or rumors about when we can expect a proper Brettonian one?

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

I know the wood elf campaign is coming out soon, but have there been any rumblings or rumors about when we can expect a proper Brettonian one?

February.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

The Tomb Kings and Dwarves should permanently be at war because the Tomb Kings won't return a hammer they have that has a Dwarven coin inlaid on it.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

Hot dog!

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

When the Skaven are added, I wonder if they'll shoehorn Queek Headtaker into the Karak Eight Peaks fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007
Tournament stuff: Yukitsu v Sammut replays https://www.dropbox.com/s/0f6g5oyyjg9je56/Yukitsu%20v%20Sammut.zip?dl=0

Round 1 - Beastmen (Sammut) v Crooked Moon (Yukitsu)
Round 2 - Bretonnia (Sammut) v VC (Yukitsu)
Round 3 - VC (Sammut) v Empire (Yukitsu)

Results Yukitsu 2 Sammut 1

• Locked thread