Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
<------------------------------------

Javy Birthday too you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Gobias Ind. posted:

So how is it more insulting than no pick at all?

A 4th round pick is a not-insignificant amount of compensation.

I don't know, I think my analogy fell apart halfway through.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
I get what you are saying, but a 4th round draft pick isn't bad. Most draft picks are lottery tickets in general. Usually half of the first rounders are horrible picks.

Other notable 4th rounders: Yadi! and Cliff Lee!

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Cock, Rules, Everything, Around, Me
Scratchmo

Thom P. Tiers posted:

I get what you are saying, but a 4th round draft pick isn't bad. Most draft picks are lottery tickets in general. Usually half of the first rounders are horrible picks.

Other notable 4th rounders: Yadi! and Cliff Lee!

I would totally watch that buddy cop movie

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

So it sounds like Cutch is going to the Nationals and they tell Espinosa not to let the door hit him on the way out?

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I would assume they've been talking to people about moving Espinosa should this happen but if that can't be done, then they just let him go.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
I was so confused as to what espinosa had to do with cutch and then I remembered trea turner existed.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
If Cutch ends up going to the Nats at least there's the silver lining of a Werth-Cutch-Harper outfield being pretty loving bad defensively.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Julio Cruz posted:

If Cutch ends up going to the Nats at least there's the silver lining of a Werth-Cutch-Harper outfield being pretty loving bad defensively.

I don't see why they wouldn't keep Espinosa and let the outfield be Cutch-Turner-Harper and fire Werth into the sun. They're paying him 20 million a year to rehab and suck at baseball. Just eat the last year and win games.

Or, release Espinosa and Werth and sign someone who doesn't suck at LF/RF or shortstop?

ego symphonic
Feb 23, 2010

tadashi posted:

I don't see why they wouldn't keep Espinosa and let the outfield be Cutch-Turner-Harper and fire Werth into the sun. They're paying him 20 million a year to rehab and suck at baseball. Just eat the last year and win games.

Or, release Espinosa and Werth and sign someone who doesn't suck at LF/RF or shortstop?

Because Espinosa's offensive ceiling is like an ~80 wRC+ and Werth put up a 5 win season as recently as 2014.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

ego symphonic posted:

Because Espinosa's offensive ceiling is like an ~80 wRC+ and Werth put up a 5 win season as recently as 2014.

Yeah, but he'll be 38 years old next year and 3 seasons removed from that kind of production. Also, he produced 1.9 bWAR in his first 2 years with the Nats, so his good years have become the outliers.

ego symphonic
Feb 23, 2010

tadashi posted:

Yeah, but he'll be 38 years old next year and 3 seasons removed from that kind of production. Also, he produced 1.9 bWAR in his first 2 years with the Nats, so his good years have become the outliers.

All very true. I would argue that he's been productive when healthy, but you can't assume health when talking about a 38 year-old outfielder. Even so, I'd still rather bet on Werth recapturing a little bit of OBP magic than count on Danny Espinosa to contribute offensively.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
Good God imagine a Nats team where both McCutcheon and Harper have bounced back. :stonk:

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Braves just acquired Jaime Garcia from the Cards for prospects. I hate this trade, can't have players with girls names out there.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Eltoasto posted:

Braves just acquired Jaime Garcia from the Cards for prospects. I hate this trade, can't have players with girls names out there.

This makes me happy because no matter how broken he is, Garcia loving owns My Team every time.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Eltoasto posted:

Farewell, Hot-Me. I knew it was coming but I will still miss your surprisingly attractive 5 o'clock shadow.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://twitter.com/ChrisCotillo/status/804466411326345217

Who is John Gant?

Dexo fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Dec 2, 2016

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy

Pretty good AAAA relief pitching prospect with a good changeup and his delivery is weird (he stutter steps)

Braves gave up three pretty top 30 org prospects for a one year rental. I don't like it at all.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

Eh Dykstra isn't anything. Gant and Ellis are B prospects that have a shot but have probably hit the wall or won't make it as a starter.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Chris Coghlan is vindicated!

https://twitter.com/sung_minkim/status/804466403008909312

https://twitter.com/sung_minkim/status/804471457019367424

But seriously thats real loving dumb

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Now that I have this dating robot I can take it easy.
I would like the Jays to please plug one of the massive gaping cavernous holes in this team please.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Eltoasto posted:

Eh Dykstra isn't anything. Gant and Ellis are B prospects that have a shot but have probably hit the wall or won't make it as a starter.
Gant is a 5th starter/long reliever type

Ellis was fine in AA but got lit up when he went to AAA this season

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
Or Chris Coghlan broke Kang in ways we didn't know

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

tadashi posted:

So it sounds like Cutch is going to the Nationals and they tell Espinosa not to let the door hit him on the way out?

He'll probably swing at the door and miss it before it hits him, too.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Move over Mets, Baseball has the new Rotation of AcesTM in the Braves: Tehran, Dickey, Colon, Foltynewicz, Garcia :smugdog:

For real though that's not a bad rotation and if the Braves actually do end up getting Sale, you could kick Foltynewicz out and have a solid as gently caress rotation.

ScottyJSno
Aug 16, 2010

日本が大好きです!

Eltoasto posted:

Will the Cards be a 500 team this year?

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

Sydin posted:

Move over Mets, Baseball has the new Rotation of AcesTM in the Braves: Tehran, Dickey, Colon, Foltynewicz, Garcia :smugdog:

For real though that's not a bad rotation and if the Braves actually do end up getting Sale, you could kick Foltynewicz out and have a solid as gently caress rotation.

It's a ridiculous rotation and I love it, mostly since it is just a freakshow to buy time for the prospects to hopefully not bust.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Jesus Christ he's such a gently caress up.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Chexoid posted:

I would like the Jays to please plug one of the massive gaping cavernous holes in this team please.

I'm expecting Adam Eaton any day now!!!

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

ScottyJSno posted:

Will the Cards be a 500 team this year?

I mean... they definitely should be an above .500 team. And if they aren't, something has gone terribly wrong.

Why did Jaime Garcia being traded prompt this question?

ScottyJSno
Aug 16, 2010

日本が大好きです!

Thom P. Tiers posted:

I mean... they definitely should be an above .500 team. And if they aren't, something has gone terribly wrong.

Why did Jaime Garcia being traded prompt this question?

1. He is a Not horrible lefty.
2. As far as I know the Cards have no other left handed options.
3. I am ignorant of the Cards Farm system.
4. I am a insufferable Cubs fan. :smug:

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
The Cardinals picked up Jaime's cheap one year option this year specifically so they could trade him. He was never in the plans for 2017, as they have a ridiculous amount of starters to choose from. The Cardinals probably don't care that they don't have a lefty starter, as they didn't really have one in 2014 either.

Matt Adams will most likely be on the move as well. I am extremely surprised the BRAVES of all teams traded for Jaime Garcia, though. Thought he would go to a contender needing some pitching depth.

(And they have Marco Gonzalez, but he is probably perma-broke)

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

ScottyJSno posted:

1. He is a Not horrible lefty.
2. As far as I know the Cards have no other left handed options.
3. I am ignorant of the Cards Farm system.
4. I am a insufferable Cubs fan. :smug:

The Cards will pull like 3-4 guys you've never heard of out of their rear end and win 95 games. All you need to know about their farm system is that it is stocked to the brim with guys with silly, ridiculous names who will outperform even the most rosy of projections.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
The 2016 Cardinals were plagued with injuries, hilariously bad defense, and one of the most dramatic regressions in pitching quality year-to-year I've seen in a long time. There was also that weird thing where they forgot how to play ball in Busch and had a losing home record. Yet they still finished 10 games over .500, went 9-10 vs the Cubs, and would have forced a tiebreaker for the second WC spot had the Dodgers managed to not absolutely poo poo themselves in just one of their games vs the Giants.

Betting against the Cardinals competing is not a good bet.

Scob
Jul 17, 2005

goodbye jamie you were either very good or very bad

Dingleberry Jones
Jun 2, 2008
If I'm posting a new thread, it means there is a thread already posted and I failed at using the forum search correctly
I like the trade for Garcia. The Braves need to let their young pitchers get a few more good years in the minors before starting to bring them up. Maybe teach Newcomb and Toussant how to throw strikes, and let Allard and Fried get another year under their belts to show that they are over their injuries. And that's not even scratching the surface with Soroka, Weigel, Anderson, Muller, Wentz and Jenkins all in the top 25.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

The Garcia trade makes it even stranger that the Cubs didn't pick up the option for Hammel's final year and then trade him.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Sydin posted:

The 2016 Cardinals were plagued with injuries, hilariously bad defense, and one of the most dramatic regressions in pitching quality year-to-year I've seen in a long time. There was also that weird thing where they forgot how to play ball in Busch and had a losing home record. Yet they still finished 10 games over .500, went 9-10 vs the Cubs, and would have forced a tiebreaker for the second WC spot had the Dodgers managed to not absolutely poo poo themselves in just one of their games vs the Giants.

Betting against the Cardinals competing is not a good bet.

2017 Cardinals have question marks at two major positions, 3B and CF. In theory they can stay with their current roster and have Gyorko at 3rd and Pham or Bader as the third outfielder. I think that's probably an 85-86 win team that's no real threat to the Cubs unless the pitching rebounds, specifically in Wainwright and Wacha. They have a lot of potential spare parts for trade but I don't know if they can get any real upgrades with them.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Scob posted:

goodbye jamie you were either very good or very bad

He's like Rich Harden. It's so weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
He was always one of my favorite Cardinals and it's a shame he always had shoulder pain. His home/away splits are pretty insane.

• Locked thread