Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
It's extremely weird to see an FPS turret section in a Final Fantasy game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Also the manual driving seems to be totally disabled for me... do you have to get to a certain chapter to use it?

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Lumpy the Cook posted:

Also the manual driving seems to be totally disabled for me... do you have to get to a certain chapter to use it?

I did it right after I got the car, maybe you have to say you want to drive though in that dialogue choice?

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

You can swivel a bit lane to lane but its not total control like I was expecting, more like controlling a train and you can turn at junctions. The U Turn is funny as hell everytime you do it though because its the most drastic swerve possible.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Sharkopath posted:

I did it right after I got the car, maybe you have to say you want to drive though in that dialogue choice?

I did that- it was the only time this game's let me drive.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

at a certain time of night ignis will stop the car and refuse to drive, then you can take control

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

at a certain time of night ignis will stop the car and refuse to drive,

Lol

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

I didn't take nighttime seriously until an iron giant twice my level arose from the ground and wiped out my buddies and almost killed me.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I was fighting some Garula and got attacked by a bunch of wolves and like sixteen Imperials, it was an insane fight. This game owns.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Lumpy the Cook posted:

I did that- it was the only time this game's let me drive.

It will let you drive again at the start of chapter 3.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Mokinokaro posted:

It will let you drive again at the start of chapter 3.

Ahh. Ok

scott zoloft
Dec 7, 2015

yeah same
Driving at night seems safe. Not sure what ignis' deal is.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

lol, just wait..

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

By the way make sure you read as many signs/books scattered around as you can. Ignis can learn recipes from some of them.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Lumpy the Cook posted:

By the way make sure you read as many signs/books scattered around as you can. Ignis can learn recipes from some of them.

And I think a bunch just give you AP.

Listen to radios too. They add a lot of background details.

scott zoloft
Dec 7, 2015

yeah same

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

lol, just wait..

nvm iron giants are scary !!

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

The closeups of the food in this game are driving me crazy

folder
Oct 9, 2016

Lumpy the Cook posted:

he takes inspiration from everything! i killed a new enemy and he worked out how to cook its steaks

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Lumpy the Cook posted:

The closeups of the food in this game are driving me crazy
There was a close-up of a stew, and the liquid in the bowl actually moved around, rather than just being a flat texture on the model.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Playing a Final Fantasy game with people dressed in normal clothing and guys named Dave is weird. It's really fun so far though

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Pablo Gigante posted:

Playing a Final Fantasy game with people dressed in normal clothing and guys named Dave is weird. It's really fun so far though
My friends Prompto, Gladiolus, and Dave.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I got attacked in the night by an Iron Giant, and while running away ran into a Reaper. The Reaper was a lower level, so I figured I could kill it, but the Iron Giant chased me and joined the battle. Later, after completing a hunt, the same two monsters teleported in and attacked me together, and that's when I realized they had teamed up and were hunting me.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I also like that rather than wait around for me and sending a couple guys with swords to kill me, the Empire is actively trying to find and kill me, and sends units of like a dozen snipers to pick me off. They can do a lot of damage surprisingly fast, too.

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007
I bought the game. Looking forward to playing it tonight.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

FactsAreUseless posted:

I also like that rather than wait around for me and sending a couple guys with swords to kill me, the Empire is actively trying to find and kill me, and sends units of like a dozen snipers to pick me off. They can do a lot of damage surprisingly fast, too.

Do enemies fly in on a dropships? I remember that being fairly awesome in the Duscae demo, where you'd start a ruckus with some local wildlife and then Empire soldiers would warp in from friggin space and start poo poo with you.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Yeah

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

*very strongly and calmly resists urge to buy FFXV*

fiber
Nov 18, 2012
i didn't think i would mess with magic too much but empire guys coming off of dropships being so tightly grouped are totally made for dropping aoes

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007
What should I watch before I start playing to get the most out of the story? The Brotherhood and the Kingmaker things?

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Foxhound posted:

What should I watch before I start playing to get the most out of the story? The Brotherhood and the Kingmaker things?

Brotherhood gives nice background on the characters. Kingsglaive looks super pretty but the relevant part of it is covered in game.

EDIT: \/ Brotherhood is actually kind of ugly. They really went cheap on animation.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Dec 1, 2016

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007

Mokinokaro posted:

Brotherhood gives nice background on the characters. Kingsglaive looks super pretty but the relevant part of it is covered in game.

Cool thanks, guess I'll watch both since Sqenix CG is usually on point.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

fiber posted:

i didn't think i would mess with magic too much but empire guys coming off of dropships being so tightly grouped are totally made for dropping aoes
I like to warp in with a greatsword and smash up the main group like bowling pins, then use daggers to warp around and take out snipers.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

I got the version of FFXV that comes with Kingsglaive so I watched that and Brotherhood right before starting the game. It's funny how the game and the movie show Insomia as a vast, whimsical fantasy city but in the anime it's just surburban Tokyo w/ a couple of whimsical fantasy buildings in the background every so often.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Speaking of Brotherhood, who even was that woman that the snake woman demon killed? I thought she was Noctis's mom, the queen, but nobody ever mentions her or seems particularly fazed by her death.

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

more like a Barking Dog, woof!

Lumpy the Cook posted:

I got the version of FFXV that comes with Kingsglaive so I watched that and Brotherhood right before starting the game. It's funny how the game and the movie show Insomia as a vast, whimsical fantasy city but in the anime it's just surburban Tokyo w/ a couple of whimsical fantasy buildings in the background every so often.

i mean even in kingsglaive theres that scene where they're basically in the slums of midgar

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Started Chapter 2

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

My party is all level 22 and the main story quest I have is level 10 :/ I need to stop doing side stuff because I've been steamrolling the main missions.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I wandered into a mine to see what was at the bottom because when I did the game said something about killing the monster at the bottom of the mines. All the enemies were level 7. The monster was level 52. Discovering really unexpected and high-level things in dungeons was one of my favorite parts of FF12, and I'm glad they brought it back.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

FactsAreUseless posted:

All the enemies were level 7. The monster was level 52.

lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Chapter 3 brings a nice change of scenery