Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

Hot take: fumoffu was by far the peak of FMP and the Tom Clancy wannabe stuff never did anything but drag it down

The previous two adaptations also filtered out a lot of the weird poo poo. Like, it was there, but it was toned way down from the light novels. I'm a little concerned that with this nobody staff, we may well be seeing a less filtered Gatoh than we're used to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Hot take: fumoffu was by far the peak of FMP and the Tom Clancy wannabe stuff never did anything but drag it down
Fumoffu is the best FMP has been I agree, but the serious stuff was fun enough and definitely deserved to get adapted. The later arcs get pretty crazy and silly in a Metal Gear Solid sort of way which I enjoyed just fine.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

This is a near universal opinion among people I know who have watched FMP, to be honest.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse

Darth Walrus posted:

Xebec's last mecha show was Argevollen, which was extremely dull but at least had some half-decent CG action.

Actually it was Fafner Exodus! Which I really enjoyed though it can be a bit of a mixed bag.

...but I'm not sure to that extent Xebec even has anything to do with the direction and writing? I think they're just the animation - so it'd make sense Argevollen was pretty bad but had pretty good CG. Xebec's decent at that, it seems! Lagrange as well as pretty good with CG as well.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Gyra_Solune posted:

Actually it was Fafner Exodus! Which I really enjoyed though it can be a bit of a mixed bag.

...but I'm not sure to that extent Xebec even has anything to do with the direction and writing? I think they're just the animation - so it'd make sense Argevollen was pretty bad but had pretty good CG. Xebec's decent at that, it seems! Lagrange as well as pretty good with CG as well.

That's why I brought it up, the technical side of things. There's good odds on this one using CG mechs, but with a reasonable degree of competence.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Kanos posted:

This is a near universal opinion among people I know who have watched FMP, to be honest.

I mean once you see an all mascots SWAT team mission nothing else is gonna compare

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I finished Macross Delta. I'm not sure if it's bad. It's intensely mediocre on every level and wastes a ton of potential, but it's not physically unpleasant to watch.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
I might be alone in feeling this way but I pushed through both Gun and Diebuster recently and found them both kinda lacking. I feel weird feeling that way knowing how influential Gunbuster was on the whole mecha genre, but I had a lot of problems reconciling the ways the characters acted with the things they were actually doing, and the whole plot of space monsters attacking the Earth for the reasons they did only keeps together if you held your breath. I know that Diebuster lost me when they started making black holes into planets in the Solar System; that's just dumb. Tying the endings together was pretty darn cool, though.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Have you guys heard the American Votoms opening?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gS5cPF2CGxI

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
I just finished watching the last episode of Braiger. I'll probably give a full write up of what I thought of the latter episodes and the series as a whole in a few days.

In brief: the latter episodes really focus hard on the interplay between the Earth government and the various criminal organizations, and the show is much better for it. There are some really strong episodes toward the end, and the final four or so episodes are extremely tight--surprisingly so given the rest of the show. The climax is biblical.

Still, I would hesitate before recommending someone watch the whole series. Most episodes are just not that good. The few stand out episodes are fantastic, though.

I'm thinking next I'll start watching either Daitarn 3, Daltanius or the first half of Raideen.

Does anyone have any recommendations as to which I should watch first?

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Raideen and RahXephon double feature :kheldragar:

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Raideen and RahXephon double feature :kheldragar:

I can comfortably say, after having marathoned RahXephon, that I still have no earthly loving idea what RahXephon was doing with its plot.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

It almost doesn't matter since whatever the hell was going on was basically undone with time travel anyways.

I wouldn't even mind that so much if the characters were a bit less cardboard.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

I dunno, once I watched the whole series, it made sense as I was going through it.

Of course, I didn't have the luxury of watching the show at first. When I first saw it I saw the movie, and at the time, I had no loving idea what was going on past a point. :downs:

(I do honestly love the show though and it's one of my favorites. Enough to even have a physical box set.)

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!
I watched it on Amazon's streaming service since it was up as part of Amazon Prime's free stuff and I'd heard of it in fond terms before. I'll admit I pretty much still have no idea what's up with Tokyo Jupiter, the Dolems, etc. Let alone the RahXephon turning into a god at the end. I'm not sure if I just somehow zoned out and missed something really important that explains it all, or what, but it just never clicked for me.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Code Geass compilation trilogy and new season just got announced

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Here comes a giant-rear end mega post about a thirty-year-old robot cartoon. Buckle up, motherfuckers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ov6QB4gWK3A

Previous post: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3742843&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=26#post465196644

What's different in these last episodes:

The biggest change in the latter episodes is the introduction to the character Khamen Khamen, who after a series of assassinations emerges as the new leader of the Nubia Connection, one of the four major criminal organizations of Earth. While most episodes feature one of the criminal Connections as the antagonists, Khamen Khamen differs in a few significant ways. For one, he's much more ambitious. While the other connections have grown complacent in their strength and are content in petty efforts to fill their own pockets, Khamen Khamen mobilizes his organization in an effort to seize political control of Earth and the Solar System at large. For another, he's much more brazen than most. While some connection thugs will commit crimes openly secure that the police can't touch them, Khamen Khamen rolls his tanks into a country and takes over the government, secure that the world community will turn a blind eye. Third, he's far more capable. It's not necessarily difficult to be the smartest villain in a show where most baddies are petty thugs, but the show still manages to sell Khamen Khamen as a genuinely intelligent person and a capable strategist.

Khamen Khamen features in every episode past his introduction. This is actually handled kind of awkwardly at first. I suspect the decision to make Khamen Khamen the lead villain was made somewhat suddenly, and that the writers had to find a way to shoe him in. These are kind of a last hurrah to the episodic early episodes, and once they're over the show really begins to pick up in quality.

This is most evident in Storm of the Carnival part 1 and 2, which are episodes 27 and 28. It's the first two parter in the show and surprisingly excellent. It's also, I later learned, somewhat infamous in Japanese mecha fandom.

The plot:

Note: past this point there will be spoilers. I am not going to mark them, mostly because I suspect anyone who is actually interested enough in this 30-year-old robot cartoon has probably already been spoiled concerning anything relevant--and was likely only interested in Braiger to begin with because they've been spoiled. However, if you're the one person that actually wants to watch Braiger and doesn't know what's coming up, be warned! Hamlet dies. Rosebud is the sled. Omachi does a gently caress and Jupiter explodes.

Storm of the Carnival takes place during the Asteroid Carnival, a kind of Mardi Gras of the asteroid belt. There are huge parades, music concerts featuring the biggest rockers in the solar system, and backroom deals between the major Connections. J9 is hired by a young boy who's father, a music producer, has recently gone missing. This is troubling because more than a few music producers have been turning up dead--actually prominent Connection members in disguise. The team splits up to search for leads.

Omachi is spotted snooping around and get's shot with a poisoned dart for her efforts, only to be saved by a handsome man with medical training, who happens to be attending the Asteroid Carnival on business. Omachi falls for her rescuer, and despite his frankly unbelievable level of obliviousness to her advances, she eventually coaxes him into bed. This is the first on-screen sex scene in television anime.

Written out like this, you might be able to guess where things are going. Omachi's rescuer is both the missing father and the assassin who has been taking out the various leaders of the Connection. The reason he acted so clueless was because he's the man who shot her to begin with and had reservations about having sex under such incredibly false pretenses.

It's more than a little contrived, but it is an incredible step up from anything before. It also sets up a common theme that continues through out the rest of the show: the other Connections are slowly being taken out, and Khamen Khamen's Nubia Connection is growing in their place.

I won't be going through any other episodes in as much detail, but I will sum up a few cool things that happen before getting to the big finale. The first is the method Khamen Khamen takes out the rival Red Dragon Connection: he hires J9. Government agents come to hire J9 because they need people who they are certain won't be recognized to help end a kidnapping ring that the Red Dragon Connection is involved with. J9 complies, they assassinate the leaders of Red Dragon over the course of the mission, and they never learn that their employers were actually the Nubia Connection.

The second is the war between the Nubia Connection and the Omega Connection over the weapon factories on planet Mercury. Unlike basically every other conflict in the show, which is basically between Braiger and a handful of enemy mecha, this a full scale battle between fleets. The weapon manufacturers hire J9 to assassinate the leaders of both Connections to end the conflict, and while J9 is loathe to work for war profiteers they accept on the belief that either connection gaining control of Mercury would be a disaster. J9 succeeds at taking out the Omega Connection (the leaders of which are stand-ins for the Zabi family. Kid quips as he corners the last surviving leader, "Circumstances, man, it's out of our control. Blame it on the misfortune of being born into a Connection.") but fails at killing Khamen Khamen, instead killing a body double. The Nubia Connection then flees the battle with Mercury's latest and most powerful weapon.

Khamen Khamen then uses the weapon to blow up Jupiter. This is the big finale.

One thing I haven't touched on with regards to Khamen Khamen earlier is that he believes God speaks to him, specifically the "Great God Atum." Atum wants more Earth-like planets, and the giant planet Jupiter happens to have plenty of mass from which to build those planets. As it happens, exploding Jupiter will coat the whole solar system is lethal radiation, which suits Khamen Khamen fine: all he has to do is evacuate his chosen people from the solar system, and bring them back in to inhabit the new planets. Atum doesn't care, as long as he gets his planets. There is, in fact, a massive exodus away from Earth and all remaining governments and connections fall to anarchy as they await the end of the world.

The last handful of episodes may as well be from an entirely different show. J9 is totally out of their league and it's already too late to prevent Jupiter from exploding. The best they can hope for is to construct a shield of debris around Jupiter to contain the radiation, but the only way to create that much debris is to tow in several moons and blow those up as well. Nothing else in the show comes close to the sheer scale of this crisis. While they do eventually save the Earth, they don't hesitate to explain that a lot of people died in the effort. Hell, the last scene of the show is Isaac mournfully explaining to his semi-adopted kid that beloved comedy relief character, Poncho Poncho, is in all likelihood quite dead.

Actually, that's a lie. The actual last scene of the show is Poncho Poncho swimming in a pile of gold surrounded by beautiful, naked women. God bless you, Poncho Poncho.

Conclusion:

So, having watched all of it, would I recommend the show?

Probably not. There are some really strong moments in the show, but as a whole it really is not that great. And even then, the parts that are good are mostly good in the context of the rest of the show. Seeing Poncho survive rich as Croesus is only as funny as it is because the rest of the series played him up as a greedy jerk who's bad with money. Seeing the Astroid Belt explode is only as powerful as it is because the rest of the series established it as a place where people live, love and die. Khamen Khamen comes across as cool and powerful as he does in part because every other villain is such a joke.

I really enjoyed watching the show, but I can recognize its flaws. If I'm being truthful, what's good and cool about Braiger doesn't outweigh what's boring about Braiger.

Having said that, the degree in which the show improved over the course of it's run time leaves me very hopeful for it's sequel, Baxinger. Hopefully, by the time I'm done watching the first arc of Raideen, it'll be fully translated.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Guy Goodbody posted:

Code Geass compilation trilogy and new season just got announced

New season is a few years after zero requiem and lelocuh is the mc

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

I can't wait to get back on mr. lelouch's wild ride

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Schwarzwald posted:

Braiger stuff.

I remember when Khamen Khamen explained his goals in SRW Alpha Gaiden and it seemed really crazy and coming out of nowhere even by SRW standards. Good to know it is only slightly more sensible in the original series. Khamen Khamen is a fabulous jerk with a neat BGM and the reason I kind of sort of wanted to watch Braiger a few years ago but. Knowing he only shows up a while in, I never quite got around to it.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
I kinda really love the ending to Braiger for some reason. Yo man I heard a bunch of people are just gonna like, take off into space, let's do that too!

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Light Gun Man posted:

I kinda really love the ending to Braiger for some reason. Yo man I heard a bunch of people are just gonna like, take off into space, let's do that too!

It makes sense. J9 was there as a check on the Connections and government corruption. Now the Connections are gone, the government is in shambles, and J9 is left as this remnant of a previous age. gently caress it, let's go to space and leave Earth to the next generation! (And stay tuned next week for Baxinger: J9 the next generation!)

GimmickMan posted:

I remember when Khamen Khamen explained his goals in SRW Alpha Gaiden and it seemed really crazy and coming out of nowhere even by SRW standards. Good to know it is only slightly more sensible in the original series. Khamen Khamen is a fabulous jerk with a neat BGM and the reason I kind of sort of wanted to watch Braiger a few years ago but. Knowing he only shows up a while in, I never quite got around to it.

I really should make a list of worthwhile episodes, because there is some good stuff in Braiger after you trim the fat.
If all you want to see is Khamen Khamen blow up a planet, just watch from episode 34 to 39.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
I remembered something else very good(?) about Braiger: J9 has a carrier ship for the mecha. It has it's own name and everything (though hell if I can remember it) and later on they make a point of showing the Braiger launching from it specifically, rather than just from the asteroid base in general.

It stays docked the entire series.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2016-12-01/getter-robo-inspires-mahjong-themed-manga/.109383

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!

quote:

Drill Jiru will draw
:quagmire:

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

quote:

The taglines for the manga read, "The legendary 'transforming robot' and 'mahjong' combine!!" and "Getter Rays!? Atlantis!? Tile Beasts!? All the mysteries will be explained with 'mahjong'!!!!!!!"

The absolute gently caress?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm more excited about this than I would've been for the announcement of a new regular Getter Robo

Lepecard
May 19, 2009
Soiled Meat

Strangely enough, i'm pretty drat hyped for this!

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
The real question is how long it takes before the SRW debut.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
V is gonna be my first SRW so here's hoping it doesn't suck poo poo.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Guy Goodbody posted:

I'm more excited about this than I would've been for the announcement of a new regular Getter Robo

I agree, This is a way more interesting use of the franchise than the really bland reboot they did last year

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

I didn't realize the voice of dub Domon had passed away.

https://twitter.com/hermitsherpa/status/805279848755122176

RIP.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

That's a drat shame. RIP.

gently caress 2016.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Pureauthor posted:

RIP.

gently caress! He was the best Megaman X...:(

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Pureauthor posted:

RIP.

Lucas has spread incorrect information before so look for other verification. I haven't found anything yet.

Edit: yup, it's more bullshit courtesy of Lucas.
https://mobile.twitter.com/hermitsherpa/status/805480574848638976

Midjack fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Dec 4, 2016

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK
On a more positive note I am doing a thing with Dougram: http://wargamedork.blogspot.com/2016/12/the-dougram-boardgames-part-1.html

I have been meaning to talk about these games in depth for years now but time and effort n stuff. Well today I decided to finally get off my rear end and start! I kind of want to long run mod it into a full real robot Wargame with tanks and more terrain types since I have gobs of Squad Leader map sheets. It could be a fun little LP project I bet.

Though when I tried to demo run a game one day someone was a total prick and intentionally played badly to end it and complained the game sucked "because nobody had heard of it and thus it's a bad game". :doom: I didn't bother ever showing up for any of his boring rear end FASA Star Trek RPG sessions after that board game day. Fukken wanker. I need my robot fix. Especially when I spent ages finding the goddamned games. (Sadly don't have the more hardcore Dougram hex n chit games or the VOTOMS games Takara made after these with those awesome rear end wee die cast minis. Who wouldn't want an army of 1/4th inch Scopedogs?)

Course it might help me to watch more than 5-6 episodes of Dougram for inspiration but.. It's aged badly. When Macross looks dated Dougram might not even stand a chance.

Edit: So I avoid spamming I am just adding in the link to part 2 here: http://wargamedork.blogspot.com/2016/12/the-dougram-boardgames-part-2.html

I should maybe DO something with these games one day soon..

Captain Rufus fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Dec 28, 2016

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

https://twitter.com/pKjd/status/812170290318823424

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

So, uh.

Remember Eureka 7 AO?

It's getting a new final episode. For a pachislot promotion.

http://www.sammy.co.jp/japanese/product/pachislot/2016/eurekaao/episode/

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Pureauthor posted:

So, uh.

Remember Eureka 7 AO?

It's getting a new final episode. For a pachislot promotion.

http://www.sammy.co.jp/japanese/product/pachislot/2016/eurekaao/episode/

gently caress that show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I've been watching and enjoying Getter Robo Armageddon as I play catch up for SRWV.

It's pretty fun. It feels like a really loose adaptation of the Go manga so far, though Go himself seems to be completely different characters between both stories.