Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Decus posted:

Oh, I just read the actual interview. This guy's research on the series was probably the opening movie of MH4, maybe some Tri stuff, an article on Kirin and MGS: Peacewalker. He decided to go Peacewalker for the plot, "Dune" for the setting of the monster world and all the monsters are based on human mythology like Kirin.

are you loving kidding me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

You could literally just take any of the games and put it in movie form and it'd be fine. Rookie hunter comes into village, has encounter with flagship monster far too early, gets rear end kicked. Hunter protects village from other monsters until flagship monster starts getting antsy again and needs to be put down. Throw in a palico and a love interest somewhere. Done.

I'm really looking forward to seeing how the movie weasels its way out of modern day weaponry not working on monsters for some reason given there's nothing supernatural about weapons in the games, you're just hacking at a monster until it falls over. Anyone who hasn't heard of the games before but comes out of the movie wanting to try playing them is going to be so loving confused.

fake edit: lmao the interview is hilarious, the guy really doesn't know anything about Monster Hunter except dah'ren mohran and literally thinks the entire world of Monster Hunter is a desert. MH talk starts towards the end: http://deadline.com/2016/11/monster-hunter-movie-resident-evil-paul-ws-anderson-jeremy-bolt-capcom-qa-1201856946/

quote:

ANDERSON: The central characters are very relatable American characters. You take a person from the ordinary world who thinks they’re in a dead end job, they have no future, they feel like their life’s a failure, it’s going nowhere, like Keanu Reeves in The Matrix. It’s about a normal American who gets dragged into this parallel world, this Monster Hunter world. Then eventually the parallel world ends up coming to our world. So you have the creatures from the Monster Hunter world invading our world.

The mythology is that basically monsters are real and all the monsters and creatures from our mythology, whether dragons or the Minotaur, or Chinese dragons, it’s all real. They were real. They really existed in our world. For every monster there was a hero that fought the monster. And then those monsters just disappeared, overnight. They ceased to exist, as did our need for heroes. They became a thing of myth and legend, but eventually the monsters will come back. Unless we have a hero to help fight them, our world with be devastated by these returning creatures, after we’ve chosen to put our faith in technology rather than heroes. All of our technology won’t mean anything once the dragons start raining fire.

quote:

DEADLINE: How far have you fleshed this out?

BOLT: We’ve got about two movies. We will likely shoot in China or South Africa for a budget comparable to the final Resident Evil, about $50 million net.

ANDERSON: It’s definitely intended to be a franchise because the movie starts in our world and then it goes to the Monster Hunter world and then the final act comes back to our world and it’s basically this epic battle in and around LAX. Then at the end we’re suddenly confronted with the fact that the mythological creatures of our world have come back to wreak vengeance. So we definitely have the second film where that would be planned out.

They also mention how Monster Hunter Online is huge in China, claiming it has 15 million subs which seems fake as poo poo. Like, that would put it around the amount of people playing overwatch globally in one region locked country. Besides that, isn't Frontier the more popular mmo anyway? I've been trying to look up playerbase numbers or earning reports and coming up dry, if anyone knows where to find that I'd be interested in knowing.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
Now we'll never get Channing Tatum mugging it up with the gimmick "I used a potion!" animation. Truly a heinous crime.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

If Monster Hunter The Movie makes a profit, we're sure to see a series of equally terrible sequels. So uh, look forward to that.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Someone Photoshop rathalos helmets onto the Dragonball: Evolution poster.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013

BMan posted:

If Monster Hunter The Movie makes a profit, we're sure to see a series of equally terrible sequels. So uh, look forward to that.

It's all but guaranteed to make a profit and thus sequels were similarly guaranteed from the beginning--that's probably all capcom wants, rather than actually growing the series in the west with this or anything. This is from the RE movies guy, who is notorious for always making a profit because he makes his stuff so cheap that it'd be near-impossible not to. He is also notorious for writing and casting his wife into major roles.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Really? Is ~$50M considered a cheap film these days?

Decus
Feb 24, 2013

BMan posted:

Really? Is ~$50M considered a cheap film these days?

For action/fantasy? $50M is around what most of the "cheap" feeling ones cost. A big stinker like The Last Witch Hunter was $90M. The Huntsman: Winter's War was $115M. This will gross more than both of those things for far less. The writing and acting will be about as bad, maybe even better, but less money will be wasted on things that fail to cover those failings up. Advertisement budget is also likely to be way smaller

I joked about the world being all desert because he probably only saw the MH4 opening, but in reality the "monster world" is likely all desert because it cuts down on production costs. Or, well, he probably did only watch the opening of MH4 but easily identified "all desert" as a way to cut costs. Same for setting it in the real world--you don't need artists to create or re-create more fantastic/lush settings.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

And Tyler Too! posted:

Someone Photoshop rathalos helmets onto the Dragonball: Evolution poster.

yeah OK

Mystic Mongol fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Nov 25, 2016

SilverGryphon
Oct 14, 2012

This might just be fun after all.
*kicks the butts of the Fated Four*

Alright now let's see what quests have opened up...

*sees a Rathalos/Yian Garuga/Tigrex/Nargacuga/Zinogre quest, a Blangonga/Ligiacrus/Brachydios/Gore Magala/Seregios quest, and a Deviljho/Tigrex/Nargacuga quest*

*quietly closes 3DS*

*whispers* No.

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

Wait there are fights with more than 2 huge monsters?

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Nomadic Scholar posted:

Wait there are fights with more than 2 huge monsters?

Not if you don't hate yourself!

I tried the Deviljho/Nargacuga/Tigrex quest once. I fought the Deviljho and killed it eventually, confident that I'd have no trouble handling the other two after that. Then Nargs and Tigrex dropped in at the same time and I remembered that this was the equivalent of the Ivory Lag/Brachy+Azure Rath quest from 3U and immediately abandoned. Maybe one day, but not that day.

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

Man when I get to that I'm gonna bring some dash juice and a lot of demondrugs. Maybe a trap or two? Idk. I'm still village 3* so that's all speculation atm.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

I tried the Deviljho/Nargacuga/Tigrex quest once. I fought the Deviljho and killed it eventually, confident that I'd have no trouble handling the other two after that. Then Nargs and Tigrex dropped in at the same time and I remembered that this was the equivalent of the Ivory Lag/Brachy+Azure Rath quest from 3U and immediately abandoned. Maybe one day, but not that day.

Take a cat and abuse being invincible underground until you can get the fence up to separate em.

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
Is there some trick to the controls? ive never played of these before generations and like it feels like im controlling a truck. like a dark souls without lockon and also a giant turning radius, its super hard to actually line up attacks at all

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
There is lock-on. Page 10 of the manual will cover it for you.

Dreamy Souffle
Feb 22, 2011

Just cause
I like my diamonds bright
ain't saying I'm wrong
or if it's right but baby
I haven't been wrong before

dangerdoom volvo posted:

Is there some trick to the controls? ive never played of these before generations and like it feels like im controlling a truck. like a dark souls without lockon and also a giant turning radius, its super hard to actually line up attacks at all

Well, there's a Big Monster lock on for the camera, but nothing so direct as what you get in Souls games. As a whole MonHun is slower and more deliberate combat wise, it's a little difficult to give advice outside of, "You'll get used to it." There's not a lot you can do about the character making wide turns or whatnot, but what weapon are you trying to use? What kind do you want to use?

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata
The big thing to get used to, right off the bat, is sheathing your weapon when you're not actively attacking. If you're going to be moving more than a few meters, sheathe and run. Only a few weapons allow you to move fast enough with them drawn.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Nomadic Scholar posted:

Man when I get to that I'm gonna bring some dash juice and a lot of demondrugs. Maybe a trap or two? Idk. I'm still village 3* so that's all speculation atm.

The trick to quests where you fight more than one monster in a small place is to bring a smoke bomb. While it lasts, monsters have a much tougher time noticing you (I think they only notice you if you attack them, in fact) and you can try to focus on fighting just one. As a bonus, any monster attacks that happen to hit another monster will actually do damage, making fighting the other one that much easier.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata
P sure smoke bombs only work if you throw it before they notice you.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

yup

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Bummey posted:

P sure smoke bombs only work if you throw it before they notice you.

Yes. Smoke bombs make it more difficult for monsters to notice you. It does not affect a monster that has already noticed you.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

That quest is a bitch and a half. I finally managed to clear it, but it was a 40+ minute ordeal. Mostly it's the DevilJo that's the problem. He is evil and hits like a dang truck and takes WAY too long to kill. Narga and Tigrex and pretty tame by comparison, for all that they spawn in at the same time because gently caress you. Smoke Bombs are your friend, as are traps and Tinged Meat. Both 'Jo and Tigrex and vulnerable to the latter. Definitely make use of the fences to separate them and take them one at a time. Oh and all three of them are weak to lightning, so bring your strongest lightning weapon. I used Aerial Kirin Dual Blades, personally.

I have yet to try the other quests that open up after beating The Fated Four.

7c Nickel posted:

Take a cat and abuse being invincible underground until you can get the fence up to separate em.

Ehhh. I beat The Fated Four as a cat. Even I'm not quite crazy enough to try those multi-monster Village quests as the cat.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

If you can kill a Glavenus then you should be able to kill Jho with considerably less effort. Jho's true weakness is Evasion+2 and a Switch-Axe. Thanks to Adept Style I don't know why evasion+ is even a thing in MHGen but Jho's moves are super slow and super telegraphed. Narga's extremely predictable too. Tigrex will always remain an absolutely crazy bastard even when you dodge its stuff so just hit it till it dies.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
I like evade extender over evasion+ for most things, especially Tigrex as it grows in size. Jho is fine without any evasion once you've learned it and while learning it +1 is fine and +2 is overkill. The hardest thing there, like with most of the big animations, is not being afraid of them. If you're afraid of them you'll probably dodge early and get destroyed.

Flython
Oct 21, 2010

I'd forgotten just how cool Dalamadur was but good god is he a slog solo. Pumped him full of so many crag and cluster shots to no avail.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Decus posted:

I like evade extender over evasion+ for most things, especially Tigrex as it grows in size. Jho is fine without any evasion once you've learned it and while learning it +1 is fine and +2 is overkill. The hardest thing there, like with most of the big animations, is not being afraid of them. If you're afraid of them you'll probably dodge early and get destroyed.

I've found Evasion +2 makes dodging work the way it does in other games; you can dodge through attacks with decent timing, but if you're still in the attack/roar/whatever in the middle of your roll you're still going to eat the hit. Feels more like I'd expect rolling to work instead of being more of a spacing tool. Evasion +3 is the broken one that makes it easy to form some real bad habits that will come back to bite you when you stop using it. You can pull off some serious bullshit if you exploit it properly, though.

I never felt like +1 actually added enough over the regular roll to make it worth using instead of gemming up to +2 or not having it at all.

Ziddar
Jul 24, 2003

Time Travel: Not Even Once

okay maybe a few times

Wrist Watch posted:

I've found Evasion +2 makes dodging work the way it does in other games; you can dodge through attacks with decent timing, but if you're still in the attack/roar/whatever in the middle of your roll you're still going to eat the hit. Feels more like I'd expect rolling to work instead of being more of a spacing tool. Evasion +3 is the broken one that makes it easy to form some real bad habits that will come back to bite you when you stop using it. You can pull off some serious bullshit if you exploit it properly, though.

I never felt like +1 actually added enough over the regular roll to make it worth using instead of gemming up to +2 or not having it at all.

The weird thing about the Evade+ skill is that it is not an linear increase in invincibility frames. Unless it changed from 4U to Gen, +1 boosts it from 6 frames to 10. +2 only boosts it to 12 frames, while +3 kicks it all the way to 18. By those numbers, it's actually more reasonable to not bother going past +1 unless you can get it all the way to +3. Of course, whatever works for the player is fine.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Evasion +3 only exists in 4U.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Ziddar posted:

The weird thing about the Evade+ skill is that it is not an linear increase in invincibility frames. Unless it changed from 4U to Gen, +1 boosts it from 6 frames to 10. +2 only boosts it to 12 frames, while +3 kicks it all the way to 18. By those numbers, it's actually more reasonable to not bother going past +1 unless you can get it all the way to +3. Of course, whatever works for the player is fine.

:psyduck: I had no idea.

I always felt like I was getting hit by things I would have been able to dodge through with +1, but in fairness I think I experimented with it all of twice before kicking it up to +2. Good to know!

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
Yeah, I probably should have explained that more. +2 isn't overkill in the sense that it's too big of a jump but in the sense that you should have room to make up the extra frames it gives you with skill, given enough practice, even if you're not amazing at games. And also in the sense of it being a waste of skill points because of that. In reference to quests where time limits are becoming an issue for your play that's actually important since any room to bring more damage will be the difference between failure and not sooner, as you're still adjusting to being more aggressive and learning to not be afraid of/properly dodge attacks.

And yeah, a lot of players go straight to +2 like that especially if they're experimenting with the skill really early on in their play, before they've gotten spacing and timing down in general. The 2 frames from +2 can definitely give you some leeway there, but never in a way that actually ends up shortening your hunt or anything in the end. It's also like Ziddar said, not an issue at all if, well, it's not been an issue at all; if you like having +2 and have never timed out or struggled with a hunt while using it you're still golden.

Ziddar
Jul 24, 2003

Time Travel: Not Even Once

okay maybe a few times

BMan posted:

Evasion +3 only exists in 4U.

I realized that at some point, but Wrist Watch mentioned +3 so I just ran with it. It'll be relevant again when/if we get XX. :v:

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Yeah my bad, I defaulted to 4U for evasionchat because that's the one I used it in. With adept style, I've never really felt the need to use it in Gen. It does nothing for adept and in aerial I'm not really using my jump to dodge things. Hoping into attacks is swag as hell once you get the timing down.

...oh god, I just realized XX will have evasion +3 aerial style. That's going to be interesting.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.
My fondest Monster Hunter memory is and will possibly always be when me and three friends attacked a Bulldrome and stunlocked it through a combination of stun, sleep, and knockout so that it never got a chance to move its entire encounter while we kept screaming "STOP RESISTING!"

Theta Zero fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Dec 3, 2016

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

In Tri there used to be Alatreon clust bombing runs. Those were pretty much required to get Alatreon Webbings, with the potential for Skypiercers too. You could keep it stunlocked forever and have it killed in about 2 minutes. Now that it's back I wonder if players will return to the old way of cheesing that fight.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

I cleared the village quest Tuff Turf but the quest The Bellowing Zinogre hasn't shown up on the village six star list. Do I have to do additional quests or is just one of those quests that cycles?

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
The other new style got revealed, Renkin(alchemy) style. It's different, seems specialized around item crafting.

http://gematsu.com/2016/12/congalalas-return-monster-hunter-xx-renkin-style-introduced

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Allarion posted:

The other new style got revealed, Renkin(alchemy) style. It's different, seems specialized around item crafting.

http://gematsu.com/2016/12/congalalas-return-monster-hunter-xx-renkin-style-introduced

Nice to see the other members of the Fated Four getting their own Deviants.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
I'm very excited!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XiOBszkWCp0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
new flagship looks duuuuuuuumb as gently caress

• Locked thread