Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Officially? Mar 19, 2014.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

That post/thread is so cathartic.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Huh. So basically around the time I started to stick to AI and TFR and drunkposting about gun poo poo in AI.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Without getting too far into it, what's cool and not cool to post depends on context. Posting a meme on a forum where memes are taboo conveys a very different tone than posting it on facebook or reddit does. See also "Jeffrey's lectures on posting", Grover Publishing House, 1988, pp 571-588

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

You're not wrong, but Friar was referring to the fact that memes in PYF, outside of the designated thread, used to be verboten.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
A lot of rules are course corrections that pass in and out of necessity. For example, once upon a time, LP had a problem with a bunch of people all signing up to post the exact same lovely LP of Pokémon Whatever, with the exact same lovely commentary over the opening, and breaking down completely in the exact same way at the exact same point in the game (where it dawned on them how much work it would be to do a Pokémon LP). So we banned it. People posted them anyway, and got banned for their trouble. A few people who knew what they were doing got mod permission and did some actual good Pokémon LPs. Eventually the tide of poo poo stopped, and when we were reasonably sure the danger had passed, the ban was lifted.

We went eight entire months before someone joined to post a Pokémon Yellow VLP!

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

That post/thread is so cathartic.
I love that the same thread has to specify that talking to each other is not illegal, although many PYF posters are still regularly brought to furious anger by the concept of having discussions instead of listing things

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

PYF is extremely goofy at times but I find that part of its charm :3:

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Fedule posted:

some actual good Pokémon LPs.

I still eagerly away FactsAreUseless's Pokemon Red puppet-ghost-themed Lavendar Town update.

August 12th, 2017!!

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

PYF is extremely goofy at times but I find that part of its charm :3:
it's been way better since you took over as mod, good work

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

That is so nice of you to say, thank you! Blunt puts in a lot of hard work too, though, I couldn't do it without him.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Blind Sally posted:

I still eagerly away FactsAreUseless's Pokemon Red puppet-ghost-themed Lavendar Town update.

August 12th, 2017!!
It's insane how many people remember that poo poo.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
hello, friends

ass
Sep 22, 2011
Young Orc

Avshalom posted:

hello, friends

hiya

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

I like it when two posters get so involved in their silly drama that they start reporting each others posts :allears:

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

I like it when two posters get so involved in their silly drama that they start reporting each others posts :allears:

How often is that?

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

Skoll posted:

How often is that?

From glancing at the D&D reports now and then I would say about every drat day.

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014

What do you usually do in that case? Ignore both? Probate both? Point and laugh?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Hollow Talk posted:

What do you usually do in that case? Ignore both? Probate both? Point and laugh?

Combination of the last two for me since it usually means there's a lot of collateral shitpost damage.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Hollow Talk posted:

It doesn't really happen in my forum so it's a combination of mirth and pity for the mods that have to untangle that mess.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer
I know there's one literal autist in Games who does that and got probated for it.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Hi mods, who are you wearing?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

I like it when one poster got so lost in their parachute account rabbit hole that they started reporting their own parachute that they were "arguing" with :allears:

blunt for century
Jul 4, 2008

I've got a bone to pick.

Snooze Cruise posted:

Hi mods, who are you wearing?

white athletic socks, and a tshirt that says "who farted" and nothing else

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

I like it when one poster got so lost in their parachute account rabbit hole that they started reporting their own parachute that they were "arguing" with :allears:
Please elaborate; that sounds hilarious.

weak wrists big dick
Dec 18, 2012

good job. you are getting legitametly upset because I won't confrom to your secret internet cliques gross social standards. Sorry I don't like anime. Sorry I don't like being gross on the internet. Sorry that you are getting caremad.

your stupid shit internet argument is also only half true once I get probated, so checkmate anyways but nice try.

]
What are some of the occupational backgrounds of the mods? I'm not asking for a full d0xx or anything stupid like that, I just want to know what you guys do in a broad sense outside of the forums. Like database management, mechanic, showgirl, etc.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

I know there's been at least one licensed building inspector :v:

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

weak wrists big dick posted:

What are some of the occupational backgrounds of the mods? I'm not asking for a full d0xx or anything stupid like that, I just want to know what you guys do in a broad sense outside of the forums. Like database management, mechanic, showgirl, etc.

I'm a librarian.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

weak wrists big dick posted:

hmm....what's the most obnoxious answer I can put here as a joke...I'm a 30 year old computer man/improv comedian

poo poo I hosed up

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

I work at a non profit organization helping folks with their job searches -- social work basically.

My educational background is political science :smithicide:

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
Fits the mold so far, need more poli sic and art.

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012

Burt Sexual posted:

Fits the mold so far, need more poli sic and art.

Poli sci here.

(What I do for a living has zero to do with poli sci)

weak wrists big dick
Dec 18, 2012

good job. you are getting legitametly upset because I won't confrom to your secret internet cliques gross social standards. Sorry I don't like anime. Sorry I don't like being gross on the internet. Sorry that you are getting caremad.

your stupid shit internet argument is also only half true once I get probated, so checkmate anyways but nice try.

]

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

hmm....what's the most obnoxious answer I can put here as a joke...I'm a 30 year old computer man/improv comedian

poo poo I hosed up

its all good man its all ok thanks for all the wonderful answers

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

defectivemonkey posted:

Poli sci here.

(What I do for a living has zero to do with poli sci)

It shapes your moderation, we know. We know. 😫

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
I'm CIA.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
Keep it down guys.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012