Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

RBA Starblade posted:

What would the best mage equipment be? Is there a lot of stuff that just fortifies magicka? My other playthroughs were with spears so I focused more on that, but it looks like at the least I should go beat up the archmage and take his amulet.

Best Mage equip is stuff that regens health and fatigue, something to buff survivability when you get into a fight, and one of the magicka regen mods. Then make the most broken poo poo you can and it won't goddamn matter anymore because you'll be strong enough to kill a god with an enchanted lockpick :v:

radintorov posted:

That's the best part about the character: it could be an act so that he is overlooked and underestimated or it's possible that it isn't and skooma is why he was sent to Morrowind in the first place.
The only thing we are sure of is that he's actually good at his job.

It's been almost 15 years and I still don't know whether Caius is a hosed up skoomahead who happens to be great at his work, or if he's a genius at spycraft who is 100% only on the skooma as a ruse. I tend to side more with the latter, largely because I assume his recall is "Yo some real poo poo's going down in Cyrodiil, and we need the best, get Cosades back". But it's by no means certain. If he's that good how'd he end up in Balmora of all places? Then again, a good Blade probably still gets into situations where he needs to be posted to Antarctica and the job means he can't actually defend himself.

Except that he's a loving badass who doesn't have time for scrubs, that much is certain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Mister Adequate posted:

It's been almost 15 years and I still don't know whether Caius is a hosed up skoomahead who happens to be great at his work, or if he's a genius at spycraft who is 100% only on the skooma as a ruse. I tend to side more with the latter, largely because I assume his recall is "Yo some real poo poo's going down in Cyrodiil, and we need the best, get Cosades back". But it's by no means certain. If he's that good how'd he end up in Balmora of all places? Then again, a good Blade probably still gets into situations where he needs to be posted to Antarctica and the job means he can't actually defend himself.

Except that he's a loving badass who doesn't have time for scrubs, that much is certain.

He admits to being an addict, but none of his underlings never mention it, and the peeps at Southwall say he holds his skooma better than anyone (because he doesn't actually use it?).

When you talk to him the last time he does mention something about his superiors being concerned about his moonsugar problem though. ("Internal politics. Some concern about my sugar.")

As for why he got called back, he says "I thought about refusing the recall, but they have members of my family back in the capital."

Holy poo poo what a murky character.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

GuyUpNorth posted:

If you by some miracle have a functioning N-Gage, you could hunt down Travels series as true TES nerd.

I kind of wish Shadowkey would be ported to PC because of all the TES Travels games it's the one that seemed to have had some real effort put into it.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!
I always figured that Caius's skooma problem started as a cover story that became a little too true over time.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
"Yer a loose cannon Caius! You don't play by the rules, turn in your badge!"

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Battlespire is interesting but not that fun to play. Like you can feel them trying to unfuck some of the dodgy aspects of Daggerfall but it is still a mess. Also I dunno wtf is going on with some of the art.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

The only things I remember about Daggerfall were the nudity, stealing an ebony dagger at level 1 and wrecking poo poo with it, and a dungeon called Kingsley Grange that scared the poo poo out of me as a child. Also being exiled from a city was the craziest poo poo I'd ever seen a game do.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Error 404 posted:

"Uh uh. I know what you're thinking. "Did he fire six spells or only five?" Well to tell you the truth in all this excitement I kinda lost track myself. But being this is a Ring of St. Felm's Fire, the most powerful non-artifact ring in Mundus, and would blow your head clean off, you've gotta ask yourself one question: "Do I feel lucky?" Well, do ya, s'wit?""

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

Error 404 posted:

Joke's on him, wearing a badge would involve wearing a shirt. Hell. No.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Mister Adequate posted:

"Uh uh. I know what you're thinking. "Did he fire six spells or only five?" Well to tell you the truth in all this excitement I kinda lost track myself. But being this is a Ring of St. Felm's Fire, the most powerful non-artifact ring in Mundus, and would blow your head clean off, you've gotta ask yourself one question: "Do I feel lucky?" Well, do ya, n'wah?""

Fixed

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Well I'm still being one shot if anything gets near or can cast spells too because npcs can do it infinitely and faster, but I've got 100 spells, potions, drugs, and an absorb health enchanted pair of pants I've deemed the POWER PANTS, I'm pretty sure I'm set. Just need to get to Mournhold to become like a god and, eat a shitton of bloat and ash yams, and usurp the new gods.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

RBA Starblade posted:

Well I'm still being one shot if anything gets near or can cast spells too because npcs can do it infinitely and faster, but I've got 100 spells, potions, drugs, and an absorb health enchanted pair of pants I've deemed the POWER PANTS, I'm pretty sure I'm set. Just need to get to Mournhold to become like a god and, eat a shitton of bloat and ash yams, and usurp the new gods.

Just do my potion trick from last page. Don't do fortify health, strength, or speed.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Millennial Sexlord posted:

Just do my potion trick from last page. Don't do fortify health, strength, or speed.

That's what I'm gearing up to do, though I almost did strength; forgot it wasn't just the other two. I was going to disintegrate my club against the king for his ring. :v:

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
So you'd eat that Reflect right back, but POWER PANTS in effect... how do you actually kill him and survive?

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

How do I do obscene powerplay poo poo in Skyrim?

(Specifically, I have a vanilla snack Nord warrior for the default dragonborn experience which I plan on sticking some heavy armor enchanting; the other that I specifically and deliberately want to cheese af is a dunmer mage/dagger type)

(ps a dark elf dragonborn as nerevarine 2.0 seems hilarious to me because of "try figure this poo poo out nords" lol)

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

GuyUpNorth posted:

If you by some miracle have a functioning N-Gage, you could hunt down Travels series as true TES nerd.

I'm sure this will shock you all, but I heard those games are not very good.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Transmetropolitan posted:

(Specifically, I have a vanilla snack Nord warrior for the default dragonborn experience which I plan on sticking some heavy armor enchanting; the other that I specifically and deliberately want to cheese af is a dunmer mage/dagger type)

(ps a dark elf dragonborn as nerevarine 2.0 seems hilarious to me because of "try figure this poo poo out nords" lol)

With the Nord, definitely go sword and shield, and go get Spellbreaker as soon as you can to deal with mages and dragons. Other than that, Enchanting/Smithing all the way

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Transmetropolitan posted:

Potions of fortify enchantment before making a set of gear that improves smithing, it doesn't take much to max out armor/weapon damage. As for the mage you want destruction and the stagger perks, you can also make enchantments that reduce your destruction costs to negligible amounts then just improve health.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
I may be misrememberring, but doesn't hand to hand have a higher damage cap than weapons?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

GuyUpNorth posted:

So you'd eat that Reflect right back, but POWER PANTS in effect... how do you actually kill him and survive?

Oh the pants were just for fun, they're worthless against the king. I guess just whack him a bunch and tough it out?

TresTristesTigres
Feb 14, 2013

Posts from UnDeR9R0Und

Doc Hawkins posted:

Speaking of Caius, on a recent play-through, I read the book under his bed: War of the First Council. I must have done this before, and if it's the first history book you ever read in the game, you don't have the context to notice anything odd, but my mind was blown when I noticed it doesn't talk about "the" Dwemer but about House Dwemer, being the other "secular Dunmer house," along with Dagoth. Maybe this is just supposed to be an outlander scholar painting with too broad a brush, but it makes a lot of sense to me: the Dwemer were a totally separate culture from the Chimer, and only a separate race in as much as for mer, the former triggers the latter (see the chimer->dunmer transition and whatever's up with Orcs). There are other books which imply cultural interchange between Dwemer and ashlanders, there's the dunmer strongholds with their unique architecture and magic, and some Dwemer books were written in Aldmeris. I think the Dwemer may be best understood as a vanished fragment of Dunmer culture.

I think the two main theories on the Appearance of the Dwarves were that the Velothi exodus produced both the Chimer and Dwemer, or that the Dwemer were somehow already there when the Chimer showed up. If we believe something like the first one, then yeah, the author isn't that far off (except that there were no 'dunmer' until after the dwemer had already vanished). That book's probably intentionally placed there, to show you what your n'wah outlander character might already 'know' about morrowind's history.

But that is definitely open-source lore. You can see a lot of the main morrowind devs arguing about it in some forums roleplay with the fans, here:
https://www.imperial-library.info/content/redguard-forum-madness

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)

Fortify health is probably fine so long as you pair it with a more powerful restore health, at the cheat levels of potions we're talking about so long as you happen to be max health when that potion wears off you'll survive just fine. The issue is if your health is less than, or equal to, the amount you're fortified by you die instantly.

Fortify Strength, though, will make any weapon you wield break in 2 or 3 hits, and fortify speed will probably crash the game because Morrowind will go berserk trying to load everything at once.

Also, fortify acrobatics is a bad idea, because you'll jump and come down about a year (real-time) later.

For that matter, levitate, jump, and slowfall are all probably broken too. Levitate has the same issues with speed, jump with acrobatics, and with slowfall you'll never be able to go down again.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Sky Shadowing posted:

with slowfall you'll never be able to go down again.

That's Ahnassi's problem, not mine :colbert:

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
Going back to battlespire chat, sure the combat is obtuse and the sigils make no sense, and the graphics are horrendous, there's a lot to be said for arguing with scamps and making them follow you around as your bully squad because you were the biggest rear end in a top hat in the room. That said gently caress the jump puzzles.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Wow these fort siege battle in Skyrim sure are something, huh. After many attempts ending in getting thoroughly annihilated in three hits by an enemy coming from one of the 180 degrees I can't see in, I just console commanded my way through that mess. I'm sure I could've been extremely patient and just sniped from safe spots and waited for my war buddies to finish the job, but who would actually want to spend an extended length of time in the TES combat system anyway?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

How are you dying that quickly? Are you not wearing armor or using spells?

In Morrowind I just made a spell that drains 1 to 100 health for 2 seconds. It stacks. I have zero chance to fail using it and it only costs 25 magicka. I also have one that does 45 fire damage and soul traps, one to restore all attributes, to 5 each, for 2 mana (seriously? why the hell are the others so expensive?), and one that does 1 to 100 fire damage in 5 feet. I win, I guess. Unless they can Reflect. :v:

You all were right mages own with a magicka regen mod and a mod that increases basic movement speed (for everyone, which is nice) and prevents loss of stamina when running, this would be so terrible otherwise, resting after every single fight.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Dec 2, 2016

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Amppelix posted:

Wow these fort siege battle in Skyrim sure are something, huh. After many attempts ending in getting thoroughly annihilated in three hits by an enemy coming from one of the 180 degrees I can't see in, I just console commanded my way through that mess. I'm sure I could've been extremely patient and just sniped from safe spots and waited for my war buddies to finish the job, but who would actually want to spend an extended length of time in the TES combat system anyway?

Yeah haha I wish it was like dark souls aka the best game of our generation amirite

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Can I ask ya somethin', Padre? When I was kickin' your ass back there... you get a little wood?

Heard they're reforming the DAHNGAWD! :shepicide:

That loving guard.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Bruteman posted:

Heard they're reforming the DAHNGAWD! :shepicide:

That loving guard.

VAMPYAAHS

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Morrowind alchemy is a fuckin Looney tunes funhouse of exploitable stuff. For instance

why go to mournhold? in sadrith mora's wolverine hall imperial shrine there's someone selling bloat and ash yams. also you forgot the hot secret of buying out stock, reopening trade, and selling it back to them to permanently increase their supply

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

why go to mournhold? in sadrith mora's wolverine hall imperial shrine there's someone selling bloat and ash yams. also you forgot the hot secret of buying out stock, reopening trade, and selling it back to them to permanently increase their supply

Because Mournhold is the city of light and magic duh

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

This reminds me of the trick in Fable where you could sell apples or something stupid back to the vendor selling them for slightly more gold than they offered it for. They had infinite apples to buy.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

RBA Starblade posted:

Unless they can Reflect. :v:

That's what Absorb Health is for.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

This reminds me of the trick in Fable where you could sell apples or something stupid back to the vendor selling them for slightly more gold than they offered it for. They had infinite apples to buy.

also I will mention I am glad to see you didn't give up early and go alchemy exploit day 1

the first few levels are tough (train your magic spells up ASAP by finding mountainloads of gold) but once you get there you become a hovering demigod

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

Because Mournhold is the city of light and magic duh

Best part of Mournhold is being able to buy a pack rat and/or scrib

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

also I will mention I am glad to see you didn't give up early and go alchemy exploit day 1

the first few levels are tough (train your magic spells up ASAP by finding mountainloads of gold) but once you get there you become a hovering demigod

Haha yeah, it seemed pretty boring so I'm just doing it a little at a time. I want the signet ring just to say I have it. :v:

e: I always forget exactly how lovely and terrible Vivec City is.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Dec 3, 2016

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

How do I get Trebonius to challenge me to a duel? UESP.net is saying he should just have the option now that I'm a wizard but I'm not seeing it.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

RBA Starblade posted:

How do I get Trebonius to challenge me to a duel? UESP.net is saying he should just have the option now that I'm a wizard but I'm not seeing it.

I think you need to ask for next promotion first.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

dumb and kinda scared posted:

I think you need to ask for next promotion first.

He just tells me to do more quests, same if I ask anyone else. I can just do it, just wondering why the option wasn't popping.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!

RBA Starblade posted:

There's a handful of ways to get that position from Treb, if you're curious.

Edit: I think you have to speak with the Ald Rhun Mage guild quest giver about Duties and be pointed towards Treb.

i am tim! fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Dec 5, 2016