Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Pick posted:

Gold flakes would be a great loving thing to steal. Probably among the very best things, if you suddenly stole anything worth 1.6 million.

Could you imagine tripping and spilling the bucket though? It would take forever to pick up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Bip Roberts posted:

Wait, what did the car driver do wrong there?

He flipped off a good Samaritan who was trying to return the wallet the driver carelessly lost. :confused:

FAROOQ
Aug 20, 2014

by Smythe

Chichevache posted:

He flipped off a good Samaritan who was trying to return the wallet the driver carelessly lost. :confused:

He flipped off a guy who appears to be threatening his safety

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

As a motorcyclist, I would analyze the events like this

- from the very beginning of the video, you can tell that the car was going to pull out into the road. When you're on a bike you have to assume that no one sees you and prepare accordingly. I would have been on the brakes, or at least off the throttle, watching that car very closely and preparing to swerve to the left. This is not unusual or overly safety-conscious behavior, it's just how you normally ride in the city.
- the car sort of cut him off. This would have been a moot point if he had been planning properly as outlined above. Yeah, it's frustrating but it's just part of riding a motorcycle.
- he picked up the wallet and followed the car. no problem there.
- he then started honking his horn and illegally pulling alongside the car while it was moving. This understandably freaked out the driver, who was rude and flipped him off. The motorcyclist is being stupid here and the driver is being rude. A better idea would be to follow the car quietly and pull up beside him at the next stoplight, or wave at him through the rear window while following. Again, you don't want to freak people out on the road, because as the fully-exposed person on a much lighter vehicle, you will always lose a fight.
- the car eventually pulls over and he gives the wallet to the guy, then in a fit of rage throws his phone on the ground. If he'd just handed it over, the car driver would be thinking afterwards "wow, that biker was pretty cool, he saved my rear end even after I was a dick." Instead, he's now thinking "wow, that biker was a total oval office, he taunted me and broke my phone." Now that guy will treat all motorcycles he encounters even worse.

tl;dr: the car driver was an average stupid car driver and the motorcyclist was aggressively dangerous and acted like a dick.

Sagebrush has a new favorite as of 18:21 on Dec 1, 2016

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009

Sagebrush posted:

tl;dr: the car driver was an average stupid car driver and the motorcyclist was aggressively dangerous and acted like a dick an average stupid motorcyclist.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

quote:

Now that guy will treat all motorcycles he encounters even worse.

Do we still have an inspiring story thread?

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

this wouldnt have been a problem if we just murdered every motorcyclist we saw with our cars

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
http://i.imgur.com/xqxPTay.gifv

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

FAROOQ posted:

He flipped off a guy who appears to be threatening his safety

How do you come to that conclusion?

A few years ago I was driving in a car and I noticed the driver in front of me bad left his keys in the lock on his trunk (apparently he had two sets :shrug:). Not wanting them to fall out on the road where he would never see them again, I decided to alert him. I honked the horn on my car several times, then merged one lane over to pull alongside him. I then waved at him, honked again, and gestured to the back of his vehicle until he pulled over.

I assume the man eventually went to check the back of his vehicle to discover he almost lost a bunch of keys. I think I did a good thing. Maybe, instead, the man panicked and called the police because honking horns at people is a death threat. Is that way you think, FAROOQ?

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

im pooping! posted:

this wouldnt have been a problem if we just murdered every motorcyclist we saw with our cars

There's no shortage of people who are trying.

Crocoswine
Aug 20, 2010

Chichevache posted:

How do you come to that conclusion?

A few years ago I was driving in a car and I noticed the driver in front of me bad left his keys in the lock on his trunk (apparently he had two sets :shrug:). Not wanting them to fall out on the road where he would never see them again, I decided to alert him. I honked the horn on my car several times, then merged one lane over to pull alongside him. I then waved at him, honked again, and gestured to the back of his vehicle until he pulled over.

I assume the man eventually went to check the back of his vehicle to discover he almost lost a bunch of keys. I think I did a good thing. Maybe, instead, the man panicked and called the police because honking horns at people is a death threat. Is that way you think, FAROOQ?

some cars, like the prius, only need the keys to be within a certain distance for it to be able to turn on, and you don't actually need them to be in the ignition :eng101:

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Crocoswine posted:

some cars, like the prius, only need the keys to be within a certain distance for it to be able to turn on, and you don't actually need them to be in the ignition :eng101:

It was a 90s Nissan/Saturn/some kind of 4 door.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

burexas.irom posted:

Hey, man not cool. His dad died in a concentration camp.

gently caress you

I prefer: "Some idiot fell out of a guard tower onto him. God, I hope he didn't have any kids... Just think how much stupider they'd be."

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Guys, you're arguing with FAROOQ. Let it go. You'll have better luck getting Tallgeese to stop being smug.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6IfK-nx8i1c

Dude's jaw sounds like a fresh Snapple being opened.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.

Aphrodite posted:

I'm actually a laser cosmetologist, the science checks out.

Sadly, her friend lost both feet. :(

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Foxhound posted:

A bit of Reddit drama and schadenfreude.

Yet another former Reddit CEO weighs in:

Platystemon has a new favorite as of 23:21 on Dec 1, 2016

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

wildemere posted:

For those not familiar with Mr Photonic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EoLR2LzHO-M

There was one where a chopper turned up after Mr Photonic fired a 5W green laser into the London sky, might be down now.

Back in the late 80s and early 90s I did a bit of work with a guy doing laser shows. We had a 7W argon (green) tube laser at the time, but after I left he ended up getting a 20W white-light laser. The argon one was about 6 feet long, used 3-phase power and had to have a constant stream of water flowing through the jacket to keep it cool. We used it at raves, product launches, nightclubs etc, as well as an installation at Expo 88 in Brisbane. The 20W one was strong enough to melt the mirrors you used to bounce the beam around.

Anyway, there was an Australian science show called Beyond 2000 and we were asked to provide some laser effects for an episode. We started producing wave and beam effects and warned the camera operators not to point their studio cameras directly into the beam. Needless to say they didn't listen and one of their cameras had a huge smear across the image that certainly didn't go away by the time we packed up and left.

We also set it up in the guy's house one night, running off the oven circuit as that was the only power line in his house that could handle the amperage. We bounced the beam into the backyard with some mirrors and fired it out across Sydney. Stopped doing that pretty quickly though as, which has been pointed out already, the beam points back to the origin.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.

Gromit posted:

Back in the late 80s and early 90s I did a bit of work with a guy doing laser shows. We had a 7W argon (green) tube laser at the time, but after I left he ended up getting a 20W white-light laser. The argon one was about 6 feet long, used 3-phase power and had to have a constant stream of water flowing through the jacket to keep it cool. We used it at raves, product launches, nightclubs etc, as well as an installation at Expo 88 in Brisbane. The 20W one was strong enough to melt the mirrors you used to bounce the beam around.

Anyway, there was an Australian science show called Beyond 2000 and we were asked to provide some laser effects for an episode. We started producing wave and beam effects and warned the camera operators not to point their studio cameras directly into the beam. Needless to say they didn't listen and one of their cameras had a huge smear across the image that certainly didn't go away by the time we packed up and left.

We also set it up in the guy's house one night, running off the oven circuit as that was the only power line in his house that could handle the amperage. We bounced the beam into the backyard with some mirrors and fired it out across Sydney. Stopped doing that pretty quickly though as, which has been pointed out already, the beam points back to the origin.

Man, just search "laser dslr sensor" on youtube and enjoy all the people at concerts realizing they've irreparably damaged their expensive cameras by catching a laser right in the sensor.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.

Platystemon posted:

They did the right thing for the wrong reasons.

A Canadian Mint employ fenced twenty‐five gold pucks at an Ottawa Gold Buyers store in a shopping mall. (He smuggled them out of the mint in the one place he knew he could hide something.)

PLEASE tell me it was "up his butt" please tell me it was... AWWWWW YIIIIIIIIISS!

The classics truly never get old. :allears:

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
I work at gates at an arena, and there are invariably people who come to TSO concerts with their binoculars and ignore security and dozens of signs that tell them to put them away. We used to ban them outright, but too many guests complained that they needed them to see. :ironicat:

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Gold! Always believe in your hole!

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Rectum? drat near killed 'em! :haw:

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

Ragequit posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6IfK-nx8i1c

Dude's jaw sounds like a fresh Snapple being opened.

What the gently caress crazy language is this?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Double Punctuation posted:

I work at gates at an arena, and there are invariably people who come to TSO concerts with their binoculars and ignore security and dozens of signs that tell them to put them away. We used to ban them outright, but too many guests complained that they needed them to see. :ironicat:

What on earth is wrong with binoculars at an arena concert?

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

Data Graham posted:

What on earth is wrong with binoculars at an arena concert?

This is a Trans-Siberian Orchestra concert, i.e. the Christmas rock group with all the lasers. Chances are good one of them is going to hit somebody in the face. If that somebody has binoculars up, then they won't be needing them after that.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Gromit posted:

Back in the late 80s and early 90s ... white-light laser.

Really? Because the first one of those was demonstrated last year.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

"White-light laser" in that context means separate red, green and blue lasers optically combined into a single beam that appears white.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Sagebrush posted:

"White-light laser" in that context means separate red, green and blue lasers optically combined into a single beam that appears white.

There are also genuine white light lasers that use non-linear optical effects to generate broadband pulses throughout the visible spectra.

My best laser story was when we were installing a new laser in grad school one of the students forgot to put in a beam block. It was an invisible IR laser so we only realized this when we smelled it burning a hole in the back of the room. We ended up with a whole about the diameter of a pencil eraser right through the drywall. The same student also burnt an array of holes through his shirt at belly level with the laser. It was a fun laser and really liked to burn just about anything.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Lasers are for nerds, you guys are all nerds!

http://i.imgur.com/H2PU8f7.mp4

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Well, I know song I'll be having in my head for the rest of the day.

Upside is, I love Spandau Ballet.

:dance:

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

ElGroucho posted:

What the gently caress crazy language is this?

Dutch

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Bip Roberts posted:

There are also genuine white light lasers that use non-linear optical effects to generate broadband pulses throughout the visible spectra.

My best laser story was when we were installing a new laser in grad school one of the students forgot to put in a beam block. It was an invisible IR laser so we only realized this when we smelled it burning a hole in the back of the room. We ended up with a whole about the diameter of a pencil eraser right through the drywall. The same student also burnt an array of holes through his shirt at belly level with the laser. It was a fun laser and really liked to burn just about anything.

https://www.getyarn.io/yarn-clip/8e24ac82-d725-4261-a54f-7608ca26ddc9

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Hah, whatever. My dog can do that without even involving a Roomba. :smugdog:

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
If I came home to a robot-painted poo poo pentagram, I'd just move. And I'd leave either the dog or the roomba behind.

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
http://i.imgur.com/LRbtGDJ.gifv

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

The dog is trying to summon this guy

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Traxis posted:

The dog is trying to summon this guy

That's the guy that made the nesticle emulator.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

If I came home to a robot-painted poo poo penpooptagram, I'd just move. And I'd leave either the dog or the roomba behind.

FTFY