Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
This game is
This poll is closed.
Great! 180 32.61%
Awesome! 212 38.41%
Good! 160 28.99%
Total: 552 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Quick question I'm sure has been asked, what are a few of the must haves from the ascension upgrades? I haven't upgraded anything yet, level 4. Noctis' Light Phase (reduced MP cost for phasing) and Experimagic (increases Noctis MP) I'll get of course. Also accessory slots etc as mentioned in a post a few pages ago. Digging the feel of the game so far!

Also are there other extra ways to raise your health aside from the Health Level ascension upgrade, and equipment stuff like say Masamune and bangles? And temporary boosts from food.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Dec 2, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

I read about some advanced combat tutorial videos earlier in the thread, can I get a link to them. I'm liking the game and would rather not be terrible.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Learn the Regroup technique for Ignis and use it for healing.

I have that and my boys still get their poo poo kicked in

melodicwaffle
Oct 9, 2012

Call or fold?

Dr Pepper posted:

I read about some advanced combat tutorial videos earlier in the thread, can I get a link to them. I'm liking the game and would rather not be terrible.

RatHat posted:

Kinda.

EDIT: There are videos too showing off all the movesets(except Daggers).

I assume you're referring to this post?

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
holy poo poo

guys when you're in uh

poo poo how do i say this without spoiling it

when you're ambushed right after you blow up a thing, make sure you warp strike when your opponent is up in the air because you have a fuckin sweet air battle

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

The fmv stuff is from kingsglaive, the tie in movie that shows the empire attacking insomnia and how Regis dies.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Heavy Metal posted:

Quick question I'm sure has been asked, what are a few of the must haves from the ascension upgrades? I haven't upgraded anything yet, level 4. Noctis' Light Phase (reduced MP cost for phasing) and Experimagic (increases Noctis MP) I'll get of course. Digging the feel of the game so far!

Also are there other extra ways to raise your health aside from the Health Level ascension upgrade, and equipment stuff like say Masamune and bangles?

I have found the following to be real useful:
-AP for camping, driving(and fishing / chocobo riding if you want)
-First shot for Prompto in the teamwork tree
-The Regroup technique for Ignis
-The Enhancement technique for Ignis
-Regenerate for Ignis in the teamwork tree
-2nd accessory slot
-Link up and the other link strike damage boosting ability in the combat? tree.

I haven't bought it yet, but the black hole skill for Prompto seems promising. Tech Strike also seems good.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

^Thanks!

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Yodzilla posted:

That pinball game or whatever is in the diners is loving terrible. It's a neat idea but it seems like it's impossible to lose. I played for like 20 minutes and it only marginally got harder and eventually looped back on itself. Oh well.

Also does anyone else feel like the FMV sequences are from a different game than the actual gameplay parts? I'm deep into Chapter 3 and the FMV scenes of the capital city being destroyed and the evil new ruler feel completely at odds with everything I've actually being seeing and doing. Visually and thematically there's just like no coherence. At least not yet?

I would imagine the fact that you're a prince king in exile with a small band of loyal bootyguards might have some bearing on the way they chose to portray the city/wilderness juxtaposition.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Haven't reached the first major city yet and I'm level 25. Haven't been this badly overleveled since Xenoblade.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

al-azad posted:

It's funny that the director (maybe jokingly) said they needed to sell 10 million and they're basically halfway there in a single day. I certainly didn't expect this level of success.

So Owlboy, The Witness, and FFXV are among the nearly-a-decade-in-development games that actually ended up being good in 2016. Here's hoping The Last Guardian follows!

Also Stardew Valley somehow actually got finished.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Man there are a lot of enemies that spam instant-danger moves with very iffy block windows. If I was fighting stuff way over my level that would be one thing, but it's kinda annoying to get in a fight with an enemy that is my same level and have to heal after every time it lands a hit even when I've got upgraded stats and decent accessories.

It's mostly bosses and large enemies at least, but the camera makes it hard to see the action sometimes and it's easy to start churning through consumables at a crazy rate.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Oxxidation posted:

Haven't reached the first major city yet and I'm level 25. Haven't been this badly overleveled since Xenoblade.

I was at 40 when I hit there.

It's, uh, it's a problem.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

I think I'm mitigating it somewhat by never getting into battles unless it's for a quest, but the way the game barfs EXP on you for the most trivial of quests is a bit much, yeah.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
"Noct" another one out!

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
Confusion makes you randomly switch and equip weapons. :allears:

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I'd rather play a JRPG that's too easy than one that's too hard, so I don't really mind if you get too much experience. More here for exploration/story/immersion than having to reload and go and grind. Not that I mind doing that, but it's not a plus or anything for me.

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

I discovered how insane the experience catalysts are when crafting spells and now I'm level ~70 in chapter 6. Those things are way too good.

Lucid Dream
Feb 4, 2003

That boy ain't right.
Awesome, now the dropships drop 3 level 47 guys (I'm level 30ish) that each one shot me and my party members. This is so loving stupid and unfun. It seems like my choice is either run from them up or chug a dozen potions every time they show up every few minutes.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Heavy Metal posted:

I'd rather play a JRPG that's too easy than one that's too hard, so I don't really mind if you get too much experience. More here for exploration/story/immersion than having to reload and go and grind. Not that I mind doing that, but it's not a plus or anything for me.

If your response to difficulty in a jrpg is to grind then you're bad fyi

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Lucid Dream posted:

Awesome, now the dropships drop 3 level 47 guys (I'm level 30ish) that each one shot me and my party members. This is so loving stupid and unfun.

I think the dropships and their cargo are meant to be prohibitively difficult. I'm still in chapter 3, my next story quest is level 10, and the ships barf out a whole platoon of level 18 troopers. Even as overleveled as I am, those gunners can turn me to mince in no time.

Just run like hell, there's a reason your teammates always warn you when one of the ships descend.

Lucid Dream
Feb 4, 2003

That boy ain't right.

Oxxidation posted:

I think the dropships and their cargo are meant to be prohibitively difficult. I'm still in chapter 3, my next story quest is level 10, and the ships barf out a whole platoon of level 18 troopers. Even as overleveled as I am, those gunners can turn me to mince in no time.

Just run like hell, there's a reason your teammates always warn you when one of the ships descend.

What a lovely mechanic.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
I'm really curious to see what NG+ speedruns of this look like (especially ones locked at level 1) because I have a feeling it's going to be a fuckton of weird magic and crafting poo poo.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

yo i'm not gonna get my sidequests wiped between chapters or anything? I'm just about to roll with some dude to the crater and he says point of no return. He's not gonna wipe my quests or any bullshit, right?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Lucid Dream posted:

What a lovely mechanic.

Not really.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Levels are way less important than people are assuming. I pretty trivially killed a couple of level 50 enemies around level 20. Anything less then 10 level difference is easily beatable.

Lucid Dream
Feb 4, 2003

That boy ain't right.

Oxxidation posted:

Not really.

We'll just have to agree to disagree. I can deal with giant high level one-shotting mobs in the world that I have to avoid but I've had these things, multiple times, drop on me and force my car to pull over (and prevent me from getting back in) and show up in the middle of a fight on some sidequest. They are an incredible annoyance and they only seem to get more difficult the higher level I get. Constantly throwing enemies at me that I have to run away from or have a really un-fun fight doesn't make any sense.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Dr Pepper posted:

If your response to difficulty in a jrpg is to grind then you're bad fyi

Can't agree with this enough.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Do I have to do anything to make my party change their weapons as needed or do they take care of it themselves?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

Do I have to do anything to make my party change their weapons as needed or do they take care of it themselves?

They take care of it themselves, but will favor whatever you have in their primary weapon slot. The secondary will still be used on cue for any relevant skills.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Can confirm that if you skip sidequesting the story is a decent challenge

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
Killed my first Iron Giant with a cheesy Quad-cast Thundara. Managed to kill about 5 Ice Bombs and a whole drop ship of Magitek suits with the cast too. It was total chaos.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Holy poo poo :laffo:
Just killed Deadeye, delivering the final blow with Gladio's Downhammer, and the freaking Behemoth went flying off into the distance. Prompto, you'd better have gotten a picture of that.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Game just done took my loving ride away from me :argh: You gimme that car back! I spent time waxing it!

At least I have chocobos.

Lucid Dream posted:

What a lovely mechanic.

It depends upon what level you are in regards to the area around you and whether or not its night time. Its balanced though, I can usually one shot an ENTIRE group of soldiers with a single spell cast.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Prompto's photography mechanic came out of loving nowhere. The only hint we got of it was a couple of joke-y cellphone snapshots in the Duscae demo. Who came up with this idea? Where is their promotion, and raise, and small but tasteful plaque in the company lobby?

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I don't understand how this game looks worse than xcx at times and yet has worse loading times. Square is not good at optimization

Also does prompto's camera only hold 10 pics at a time?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I don't understand how this game looks worse than xcx at times and yet has worse loading times. Square is not good at optimization

I wish I could pay S-E and Nintendo to merge the two games together so four wacky anime friends could drive their car through an alien world and then the car turns into a giant robot.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Also does prompto's camera only hold 10 pics at a time?

I've seen him take up to 13. He has some accessories that let him hold more, as well.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Yeah there's an accessory called the camera strap that increases his shots per day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lucid Dream
Feb 4, 2003

That boy ain't right.

Zaphod42 posted:

It depends upon what level you are in regards to the area around you and whether or not its night time. Its balanced though, I can usually one shot an ENTIRE group of soldiers with a single spell cast.

The large groups of guys don't bother me that much, I quickly learned to either hit them with spells or just not jump into the pile and let them split up a bit before engaging... but these level 47 assassins that started showing up are just miserable. They have gobs of health, my spells don't do enough damage to them, and if I try to engage in melee they literally incap me and my party in one hit. I just had a group drop on me and they incapped all 3 if my buddies in under 10 seconds and I just had to run away from the side quest I was on. Its like the game just occasionally walks by and slaps the controller out of my hand. If anyone has any tips for handling them I'm all ears, because my spells don't seem to cut it against them and melee is a non-starter.

• Locked thread