Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Looks like you wear civilian clothes in settlements rather than armor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neon Knight
Jan 14, 2009

AngryBooch posted:

It looks a lot like Dragon Age Inquisition in terms of structure. A lot.

Yeah. I don't like the looks of the encounter design here. A cluster of enemies are milling about around 3 small structures in a wide open field, go get em! Repeat!

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

midwat posted:

Also, the faces looked weird for a reason I can't quite describe.

Frostbite engine high fidelity crossed with Bioware derpy faces.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

Don't preorder bioware games you idiots

As someone who preordered DA2 and ME3, that's fair.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

BexGu posted:

I have never played any of the Dragon Age series, is that good or bad? I really have no idea.

Looks like big open world maps that you ride/drive with multiple points of interest with each map/planet having their own smaller narratives that fit into the larger narrative and lore. Inquisition filled most of these maps with way too many loving little tiny quests instead of one or two really big involved ones. And annoying crafting materials scattered about (crafting is in MEA now, I hope it's better). Wide open encounters with enemies milling about is the norm.

Of course, the combat mechanics themselves are totally different.

FuriousGeorge
Jan 23, 2006

Ah, the simple joys of a monkey knife-fight.
Grimey Drawer

Arcsquad12 posted:

Frostbite engine high fidelity crossed with Bioware derpy faces.

Ugh, for a company whose games rely so much on character conversations you'd think they'd put more effort into their facial tech. It's gonna look pretty embarrassing in a post-Uncharted 4/Witcher 3 world.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Game is looking good so far tbh

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
Like, there's a good chance this will be a fun game, but there's also a good chance it will be a loving turd. Just wait and see.

Honestly the environments looked cool and the powers look neat so that's good. I'll agree with the dude above about not likening the idea of these populated hub areas, it looks like they just want to make this a regular ME universe or something. Weird.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

Lady not-shephard sounds too young to be a proper hardass :(

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
Yeah, just noticed Ryder scanning a little crystal to pick up 55 Lithium. Resource node harvesting needs to loving die outside the minecraft genre.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
My favorite part of DAI was me, the loving Herald of Andraste and a tiny little elf lady could gather 50 silverite in about 10 minutes but if I sent out a dedicated crew of miners guarded by my soldiers they'd bring back 6 loving tier 2 bloodstone and take more time to do it.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

Just wait and see.

This coming from you is loving lol

thrilla in vanilla posted:

Girl Ryder is weird looking. I thought everything else looked cool. Also, as much as I dig the concept of going to a new and unexplored galaxy, it's pretty loving dumb that you're going to hub worlds that seem to be heavily populated by the milky way species. Wouldn't it make more sense if they were kind of sparse

yes, we saw one outpost in like 5 minutes of gameplay in a trailer, so that means they're basically everywhere

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

AngryBooch posted:

Yeah, just noticed Ryder scanning a little crystal to pick up 55 Lithium. Resource node harvesting needs to loving die outside the minecraft genre.

Exciting gameplay mechanic: crafting ammunition heat sinks. :v:

hampig
Feb 11, 2004
...curioser and curioser...

Ein Sexmonster posted:

Nothing really surprising, but good nonetheless.
Ammo powers looks like they're not toggles any more, but instead last for a set number of reloads. Maybe multiple ammo powers won't feel like garbage now.

I'm not hopeful, even in games like Dark Souls where they're pretty powerful they feel kinda lovely. Maybe I'll be wrong and they'll add to gameplay in way that isn't 'pause fighting to turn it on', but I'm not betting on it.

Witcher Sight Scanning for clues and Bloodborne dodging confirmed though, I can get behind those.

AngryBooch posted:

Looks like big open world maps that you ride/drive with multiple points of interest with each map/planet having their own smaller narratives that fit into the larger narrative and lore. Inquisition filled most of these maps with way too many loving little tiny quests instead of one or two really big involved ones. And annoying crafting materials scattered about (crafting is in MEA now, I hope it's better). Wide open encounters with enemies milling about is the norm.

Uninvolved fetch quests weren't even the main problem, the problem was wide open (very well crafted and pretty) areas with nothing in them. Just empty except for maybe some plants and bears or something.

AngryBooch posted:

I can get behind this too! I'm gonna have to either upgrade my PC or pick up a new console to play this, at least on PC you can wait a bit and just give yourself materials for bad crafting grinds. I might feel differently if crafting was tightly integrated with encounters to maintain the difficulty curve of the game but that tends not to go with open world crafting.

hampig fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Dec 2, 2016

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

This coming from you is loving lol

yes, we saw one outpost in like 5 minutes of gameplay in a trailer, so that means they're basically everywhere

MEA might be a good game, it might be a big fail. Not sure why it's so lol for me to say that as I liked the first 2 quite a lot which is why the 3rd pissed me off so much.

Also there were a ton of indoor areas that looked nice in the video.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

hampig posted:

Uninvolved fetch quests weren't even the main problem, the problem was wide open (very well crafted and pretty) areas with nothing in them. Just empty except for maybe some plants and bears or something.

I think it'll all depend on how fun driving the nomad is. If it's fun to just go offroading and bouncing off of mountains it'd be miles better than "walk around a lot"

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Scanning is my favorite thing to do, so I'm glad that Ryder has a scanner.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Weird that the one mission they decided to show in the trailer was confronting an ex-alliance guy. If they want to sell this whole thing as being in a completely new galaxy and a whole new experience and stuff it's sorta strange to show that.

Combat looks fun though.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

I'm digging the increased mobility you have during combat and the game looks pretty.

That's about all I can say, I don't like anything else I see cause it reminds me too much of DA:I in the worst possible ways.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

hampig posted:

I'm not hopeful, even in games like Dark Souls where they're pretty powerful they feel kinda lovely. Maybe I'll be wrong and they'll add to gameplay in way that isn't 'pause fighting to turn it on', but I'm not betting on it.

Witcher Sight Scanning for clues and Bloodborne dodging confirmed though, I can get behind those.

I don't know about this, in fact I think the problem was the opposite. The Hinterlands sucked and were full of a ton of boring quests and locations while the Hissing Wastes were huge and spread out but actually owned because they had some cool quests and puzzles and lore dumps based on a central theme.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

That rocket jump to Biotic Charge was sweet. Can't wait to see the gif of it.

comatose
Nov 23, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Weird that the one mission they decided to show in the trailer was confronting an ex-alliance guy. If they want to sell this whole thing as being in a completely new galaxy and a whole new experience and stuff it's sorta strange to show that.

Combat looks fun though.

That bugged me as well. "Yo, we're totally taking the series to a new location so we can do what we want!" Base full of krogans, humans, turians, etc.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
Like, I get what they were trying to do with the Hinterlands, showing total chaos in the middle of a war zone that had degenerated into scrapping once the main powers bugged out, but it just fell flat. They either needed to up the scale of the chaos or spread it out a bit and give some better stories to tie everything together in the zone.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Combat looks fun though.

The arc you're on probably comes out of hibernation after the other ones and there are temporary settlements/organizations already set up. Or maybe they've had a few hundred years on you and weren't able to visit many planets to find a good one for civilization due to critical supplies being on your arc.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

The scanner thing is scratching my Metroid Prime itch in all the right ways.

comatose
Nov 23, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
Racing a horse around that zone really tied the whole place together imo.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Oh jesus CHrist.

You're a "Pathfinder" now. The Inquisitor in DAInq. :rolleyes:

How does an entire subgalaxy of established societies of humans turians etcetera already exist when your ships are the first ones out there? I don't get it.

Also, holy poo poo the facial animations look TERRIBLE. Sister Ryder's weird munchy lips when she's talking to the gang lady-boss where she disarms the turian is AWFUL. She looks like a cow chewing on grass.

There is ZERO emotion in those faces.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Dec 2, 2016

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Trailer's up: https://youtu.be/t-U-qjs0gZc

And if you pause at 2:17, you get a good look at another Andromeda species

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
I'm guessing your ship stayed in hibernation for an extra 10 years or some poo poo so they can seed all the planets with existing assets.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

MEA might be a good game, it might be a big fail. Not sure why it's so lol for me to say that as I liked the first 2 quite a lot which is why the 3rd pissed me off so much.

Also there were a ton of indoor areas that looked nice in the video.

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

1-800-A-Buff-Gay-Dude's "Lock of the Week":

Game will have tight MP where you can hoot and holler with your bros for hours, but the microtransaction poo poo will go way too far compared to the perfect setup it from last time because industry trends with this poo poo have changed in the 5 years since.

The SP will be total poo poo that combines the worst of ME3 with a bunch of the bad parts of the new Dragon Age game. There will be a new Kai Leng.

Yeah you're right, you're really all about giving the game a shot and not dismissing it out of hand.

Also for the record I agree with don't preorder it, but that's because you shouldn't preorder anything ever.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
My prediction is that the game is gonna suck, but there's enough of a chance for them to recover that I'm paying attention. I want ME to be good again.

Also upon further review the female pathfinder looks a bit too young and cheery imho

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

comatose posted:

That bugged me as well. "Yo, we're totally taking the series to a new location so we can do what we want!" Base full of krogans, humans, turians, etc.

Eh, the same races and stuff didn't bother me. It's more that if they want to distance this from Shepherd's story and have a completely new universe and story and everything, it feels like having the mission shown in the first gameplay trailer be "confront ex-alliance person" just contradicts that vision.

Like, i'm cool with such a mission being in the game, but it being the thing they showed is weird.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

The Nexus, a Citadel-like Arc housing a lot more people than the 4 arcs for the Humans, Turians, Salarians, and Asari, went ahead of the other Arcs.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Was that a female turian Ryder was palling with at the start of the video?

comatose
Nov 23, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Eh, the same races and stuff didn't bother me. It's more that if they want to distance this from Shepherd's story and have a completely new universe and story and everything, it feels like having the mission shown in the first gameplay trailer be "confront ex-alliance person" just contradicts that vision.

Like, i'm cool with such a mission being in the game, but it being the thing they showed is weird.

Yeah pretty much. It just seemed a bit lame to go straight back into the old stuff that was in the previous games when they've been trying to distance themselves from them a bit.

Anyways, I'm going to go preorder right now and theres nothing you nerds can do to stop me.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Just promise to name your pyjak after me.

hampig
Feb 11, 2004
...curioser and curioser...
I'm down with some pre-existing Milky Way settlements for the sake of variety. I'd be less confident about anyone's ability to write 10 interesting variations on first contact than first contact mixed in with a bunch of other stuff.

comatose posted:

Anyways, I'm going to go preorder right now and theres nothing you nerds can do to stop me.

When will you learn that game features are locked in and your preorder probably has no impact? When you get it and have an enjoyable time you'll have no-one to blame but yourself.

hampig fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Dec 2, 2016

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

marshmallow creep posted:

Was that a female turian Ryder was palling with at the start of the video?

Yep! Her name is Vetra

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

Don't preorder bioware games you idiots

I preordered the super deluxe edition, fight me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
The combat looks pretty dang neat. If this is DAInq but in space with less lovely fetch quests and pointless follow the path exploration which leads to yet another "enemy base" then I'm gonna be sorta down for it.