Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.
massive peeve: fuckers who notice and remark upon climate change such as the unseasonably warm weather just mentioned, but then deny that climate change is a thing. "Yeah, the globe is warmer! But global warming is lies"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Medical systems that are completely disorganized.

I am trying to reschedule an infusion that I get regularly because I have to work on a day that I normally have off. So yesterday I called the number listed for the scheduling department on the website. The woman who took my call tried to transfer me to the gastro office, but no one was available, so she told me to give her my phone number. Half an hour later, I get a call from the gastro people asking about rescheduling a doctor's appointment, which is a completely different thing and not what I'm asking for. They apologize for the mixup and say they'll get back to me later.

Today I got a call from a gastro nurse telling me that I need to call the GI Lab where I'm actually getting my infusion. I call and am greeted by an automated message that tells me I should contact...the scheduling department. I leave a message but call the scheduling people again anyway. They attempt to redirect me to the gastro people before I stop them and explain the circle I've been going in. The woman on the line tells me that since I left a message I should hear back tomorrow.

THIS SHOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Secret Santa.

gently caress, it's been so long since I've come into contact with one that I forgot how awkward and painful they are before the gift exchange even happens. I'm sure they're good for someone if everyone knows everyone else, you're pretty alright at presents, and you have no standards. But it's only ever been an awkward hell in my experience. I'm not good at presents, I struggle to even get them for people I've grown up with and know very well, and Secret Santas just add a completely random amount of layers of difficulty to that.

This time around it might be the worst-case scenario. I'm around ten years younger than everyone else on the team, which already makes things hard, but I've drawn one of those guys that provides absolutely no information about themselves, directly or otherwise. I have no context for even giving a gag gift, and apparently this office takes Secret Santa loving seriously. And of course I can't back out (I tried well before the name pull), so chances are pretty good pulling my name has caused someone else undue stress as well. And I'm an easy one, I'm pretty open about what I like, it's still gonna be a crapshoot for the 50% or so of the team that I don't interact with.

I'd expand this into a general peeve of 'office community 'fun' that somehow manages to be more stressful than the work itself', but let's be real, Secret Santa is the king of that court anyway.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Cleretic posted:

Secret Santa.

Adding to this, Secret Santa exchanges between close knit friendship groups where someone insists on adding their friend/significant other who no-one else really knows to the draw.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
Why am I suddenly surrounded with people that compulsively chew their nails and or pick their teeth with bits of card? It's so loud, gross, and annoying. What the hell happened to the most rudimentary of manner. FFS.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Cleretic posted:

Secret Santa.

If you don't know anyone just go with the ultimate low-effort secret santa gift of X amount of scratchoff lottery tickets where X is the amount they told you to spend. Make sure you tell them you get half if they win anything before they start scratching. My dad did that every year my stepmom forced us all to do it and honestly even if the tickets didn't win anything it was still a better gift than anyone else got.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL

Baron Corbyn posted:

Adding to this, Secret Santa exchanges between close knit friendship groups where someone insists on adding their friend/significant other who no-one else really knows to the draw.

How does the vetting process normally work?

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

yeah I eat rear end posted:

If you don't know anyone just go with the ultimate low-effort secret santa gift of X amount of scratchoff lottery tickets where X is the amount they told you to spend. Make sure you tell them you get half if they win anything before they start scratching. My dad did that every year my stepmom forced us all to do it and honestly even if the tickets didn't win anything it was still a better gift than anyone else got.

When I say 'this office takes Secret Santa loving seriously', I mean it. They doubled the spending cap they didn't enforce anyway because it was impossible to buy good gifts, and still talk about good ones people got. Ain't no half-assing this one, sadly. Also out of play: gift cards. Partly because of the 'no half-assing' restriction, partly because there's no Australian outlet with a wide enough offering to be a guaranteed success for someone I know nothing about.

One of the newer people suggested a white elephant exchange instead, which got shot down very quickly and loudly because it isn't 'in the Christmas spirit'. I'd have been far happier with that, because at least then it's unaimed. I don't have to buy something for someone I don't know, I can just buy something that makes me happy to put forward and someone else can decide if it's good or not.

Cleretic has a new favorite as of 10:26 on Dec 1, 2016

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

My Lovely Horse posted:

I'm rapidly discovering a new pet peeve, which revolves around people looking for stuff in my office and whispering to themselves. I feel like I'm in one of those creepy ASMR videos and hope she finds whatever it is she's looking for extremely soon.

This has dragged up my biggest pet peeve from a (thankfully long-ago) office job: A co-worker who provided an under-the-breath narration of every stage of their work, in one of those 'only catch 75% of the syllables' whispers:

"Right, that's done so I need to....save...File....Save As....Network...New Referalls...June...and the date is...right...so, now I've done that so I need to...type up these letters...so...New Document....."

I seemed to be the only one in the room who noticed this. Having headphones on was frowned upon so I had to put up with this running commentary until a fortunate desk-reshuffle put us in different rooms.

About two weeks after I started my current job I shared a lift somewhere with a colleague who did the same thing but for his driving and things we were passing:

"Roundabout coming up...need to take the second exit...there it is...Shell garage...ooo, that petrol's cheap...need to be in the left lane here..interesting old Ferguson tractor in that field..."

Apparently he did this all the time. He was also one of the few drivers who was so bad that I genuinely didn't want to be in a car he was driving.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

BalloonFish posted:

This has dragged up my biggest pet peeve from a (thankfully long-ago) office job: A co-worker who provided an under-the-breath narration of every stage of their work, in one of those 'only catch 75% of the syllables' whispers:

"Right, that's done so I need to....save...File....Save As....Network...New Referalls...June...and the date is...right...so, now I've done that so I need to...type up these letters...so...New Document....."

I seemed to be the only one in the room who noticed this. Having headphones on was frowned upon so I had to put up with this running commentary until a fortunate desk-reshuffle put us in different rooms.

Would it be better if they did this at full speaking volume? Because my mom does!

DavidAlltheTime
Feb 14, 2008

All David...all the TIME!
iPhone trying to send iMessages when I don't have wifi or a data plan, while I have 'Send as SMS when no wifi' selected.

Nettles Coterie
Dec 24, 2008

Play in the Dark, lest the Heat catch you standing still

Cleretic posted:

Secret Santa.

Wallets or neckties (if they're part of your typical work attire) are typically safe gifts for guys. Maybe a nice bottle of booze, if he's a drinker? I'll admit, I loving love doing secret santas, and I organize one at my job every year :blush: But nobody's required to participate, it's volunteers only, and we make everyone write down a few of their interests or things they might want.

This year I had to make a couple guidelines because last year we had a couple people who just wrote "anything", and a couple who went the opposite and wrote extremely specific poo poo that would take way too much money/time to get. If you know exactly what you want down to the model number, just loving buy it for yourself!

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

NOW THE CONTRACTORS WHO ARE RENOVATING THE APARTMENT OF THE DUDE WHO GOT EVICTED FOR BLASTING MUSIC, ARE BLASTING MUSIC

?????????

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

Cleretic posted:

Secret Santa.

Pro-tip: go to K Mart (if you're in Australia) and buy one of the cheap novelty appliances (drink fountain, chocolate fountain, popcorn maker, etc). They cost less than $20 and come in a giant box so you look awesome for getting such a 'big' secret santa gift for someone and you still spent basically no money. Works every time.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

The Snoo posted:

NOW THE CONTRACTORS WHO ARE RENOVATING THE APARTMENT OF THE DUDE WHO GOT EVICTED FOR BLASTING MUSIC, ARE BLASTING MUSIC

?????????

Have you considered building an altar or some type of monument as recompense to appease whichever deity you pissed off? You have the worst luck :smith:

cyberia posted:

Pro-tip: go to K Mart (if you're in Australia) and buy one of the cheap novelty appliances (drink fountain, chocolate fountain, popcorn maker, etc). They cost less than $20 and come in a giant box so you look awesome for getting such a 'big' secret santa gift for someone and you still spent basically no money. Works every time.

The perfect low-effort gifts for someone you don't know very well. Nobody is gonna say boo to an electronic coin sorter/counter, a cotton candy machine, or a hotdog roller grill thingy.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
my pet peeve is people who think presents over $10 are reasonable at a Secret Santa

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I like to imagine that next week the contractors will be taken aback as Snoo barges into the apartment, grabs the stereo and beats one of them to death with it. "Noisy enough for ya, rear end in a top hat!"

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

cyberia posted:

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Nobody is gonna say boo to an electronic coin sorter/counter, a cotton candy machine, or a hotdog roller grill thingy.
Well, people will generally be polite not matter what you give them, but I'd be thinking "if you're going to give me something completely worthless, you could at least have made it a small thing". You get something like that, you've got to find some cupboard to store it in until enough time's passed that you don't feel guilty taking it to the op shop.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

Tiggum posted:

Well, people will generally be polite not matter what you give them, but I'd be thinking "if you're going to give me something completely worthless, you could at least have made it a small thing". You get something like that, you've got to find some cupboard to store it in until enough time's passed that you don't feel guilty taking it to the op shop.

I don't disagree but for most people there's still a thrill in getting a big wrapped present even if the present itself turns out to be slightly disappointing. And, fwiw, most people I know would be excited to use a chocolate fountain or whatever at least once before it gets consigned to the cupboard of unloved kitchen appliances.

Comedy answer - get something small (a gift card for ultimate disappointment) and put it in a giant box.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Hold the box over your crotchtal area and when they remove the lid your penis is exposed. This is like that sketch from SNL

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

oldpainless posted:

Hold the box over your crotchtal area and when they remove the lid your penis is exposed. This is like that sketch from SNL

more cowbell..... classic laughs.... SNL.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

BioEnchanted posted:

I like to imagine that next week the contractors will be taken aback as Snoo barges into the apartment, grabs the stereo and beats one of them to death with it. "Noisy enough for ya, rear end in a top hat!"

it's too bad I'm afraid of conflict :v:

also it seems like they're gonna be blasting music during their entire 8 hour shift this time!!! they started at 8am today. my husband is going to call customer service once they're open and ask if they're even allowed to be adding onto the amount of noise with poo poo like this.

because, of course, we asked them to turn it down yesterday and they did... for maybe 15 minutes. why is everyone like this

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
Please tell me it's mariachi music.

Magnusth
Sep 25, 2014

Hello, Creature! Do You Despise Goat Hating Fascists? So Do We! Join Us at Paradise Lost!

People who post (or use) lists of words to use instead of 'very x' are hacks, and the lists are generally wrong, to boot.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

as mentioned, the apartment below is being renovated and it's vacant. it's a saturday night. why are there people down there right now, talking and laughing? what the gently caress??

edit: my current peeve is at myself for being naive enough to believe the majority of people give a poo poo about anyone else, or thinking people/companies bother to follow their own rules. :suicide:

snoo has a new favorite as of 03:44 on Dec 4, 2016

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Magnusth posted:

People who post (or use) lists of words to use instead of 'very x' are hacks, and the lists are generally wrong, to boot.

What is this?

Also here's a thread update

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Mu Zeta posted:

My pet peeve is that I'm a crabby enough person to apparently have a hundred pet peeves despite, iirc, this thread not being exactly new when I started posting in it. :v:

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH
People that can't pay attention and don't respond to simple requests. They never turn their head when you talk to them and they can't track multiple conversations.

I come from a family where multiple conversations are held with a dozen people yelling at each other across the room while tracking every conversation at the same time and jumping in and out constantly.

With my wife and I alone in the same room, I have to say her name a dozen times to get her attention while she plays with her tablet or reads a book. I'm used to 4 rolling conversations at the same time. I have co-workers that I have to yell at to do the job they were hired for. They act like a cat that's licking the butter. They shrug their shoulders and still don't do what is asked of them because they can't pay attention.

loving focus people! It's not hard. You can play with your device while having a conversation. Device/book=eyes and hands. Conversation=mouth and ears. You have a variety of physical features that allow you to do two things at once. My grandfather could do sudoku while reading the paper, watching a soccer match on the TV with the sound off, listen to polka on his stereo, and have a conversation at the same time. Just try. It works.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

mostlygray posted:

I come from a family where multiple conversations are held with a dozen people yelling at each other across the room while tracking every conversation at the same time and jumping in and out constantly.

Ugh, this sounds loving exhausting.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Mu Zeta posted:

What is this?

I appear to be frequently vexed.

I heart bacon
Nov 18, 2007

:burger: It's burgin' time! :burger:

mostlygray posted:

gently caress that noise. Where the hell did you grow up? A bus station?

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

oldpainless posted:

People who say or type "grats" instead on congratulations or even the already shortened form of it, congrats.

Text-speak does it for me. Yes, I know it's shorthand and blah blah blah, but I have a goddamn flipphone where I have to press the button the appropriate amount of times to get the letter I want, and I STILL don't use "u" or "b4" or "nething" or poo poo like that. It only takes a fraction of a second longer for even me to type out the full word and the bonus is I don't sound like an illiterate fool.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

mostlygray posted:

People that can't pay attention and don't respond to simple requests. They never turn their head when you talk to them and they can't track multiple conversations.

With my wife and I alone in the same room, I have to say her name a dozen times to get her attention while she plays with her tablet or reads a book. I'm used to 4 rolling conversations at the same time. I have co-workers that I have to yell at to do the job they were hired for. They act like a cat that's licking the butter. They shrug their shoulders and still don't do what is asked of them because they can't pay attention.

loving focus people! It's not hard. You can play with your device while having a conversation. Device/book=eyes and hands. Conversation=mouth and ears. You have a variety of physical features that allow you to do two things at once. My grandfather could do sudoku while reading the paper, watching a soccer match on the TV with the sound off, listen to polka on his stereo, and have a conversation at the same time. Just try. It works.

To be fair, I have moderate to severe ADD, and even if I'm looking right at somebody when they're speaking to me and trying my damndest to follow what they're saying, sometimes my brain wanders and all I hear is the "wah wah wah" sound from the old Charlie Brown cartoons. Even sometimes when I'm on my meds. And when i'm in this semi fugue-state, I don't realize it so it's not like I can stop and say "can you repeat what you just said" until sometimes they're completely done talking and asking them to repeat half of what they just told me would make me sound like a complete goddamn fool.

Some people are just drat rude, yes. But there have been people that have labeled me as rude when all I want to do is be able to pay complete attention when I want to and I try my hardest, but using my ADD just sounds like I'm making excuses.

Also, my pet peeve is my ADD. Most times, anyway. When I can successfully harness it, I can multitask like a motherfucker.

BigBallChunkyTime has a new favorite as of 19:53 on Dec 4, 2016

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

mostlygray posted:

Are you on the drug from Limitless?

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Mu Zeta posted:

Nothing has made me stop and think "maybe I should cut back on drinking" more than this image.

Death Zebra
May 14, 2014

"Practice makes perfect" mostly because I don't seem to have actually improved at anything in a long time. My typing speed hasn't improved in 10 years and isn't good anyway, ditto for my tablet which I've had for 2.5 years. In some things, especially video games, any improvement seems completely arbitrary and can disappear and never come back on an equally nonsensical basis.

mostlygray posted:

I used to be able to multitask like this but seem to have simply lost the ability. In fact my concentration in general has declined seriously. It took several minutes to compose this message because I was paying more attention to things I have no interest in anyway.

Bill Dungsroman
Nov 24, 2006

mostlygray posted:

what the gently caress is this

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS
You let your cat lick the butter? Gross, dude.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
I'm really tired of games where the person is 200% Smaller than the objects in the game, like s/he's a small person. I thought they were done with this. Here's my drawing. The blue represents what they use as a stand in (it's a bubble) when they program the game and the blue cone is the line of vision.

It's not hard at all to make your guy (bubble) bigger, why do you have to have the surroundings 2x bigger than him/her?? It drives me nuts. I thought we were done with this after 360/PS3 days were over!

Like this, it's not difficult

No I am not good at art but I've made 2 stupid games in Unity and I made my guy not stupidly small so that's why it makes me mad cause you just make the bubble bigger to make it not look like you're 2 feet tall.

Thin Privilege has a new favorite as of 23:12 on Dec 4, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

mostlygray posted:

I have to say her name a dozen times to get her attention while she plays with her tablet or reads a book. I'm used to 4 rolling conversations at the same time.
Not that your pet peeve is reasonable, but it's exceptionally unreasonable because these two things are pretty different skills. Like if your wife subvocalizes when she reads, then her speech processing ability is tied up while reading. Learning to read without subvocalizing is something some people do when they first learn to read, but it's also something some people never bother to learn to do.