Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Hargrimm posted:

If you want to verify, open About Firefox from the question mark in the hamburger menu and make sure it says you're on 50.0.2

God, I wish they still used normal drat words for menus so I don't have to say things like "the question mark in the hamburger menu"

Oh, i was on 50.0.1, not .2! Thanks for the info

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Question mark? You mean the plumbus?

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Hargrimm posted:

God, I wish they still used normal drat words for menus so I don't have to say things like "the question mark in the hamburger menu"

I would be surprised if people recognized "hamburger menu". At work I call it "the three lines in top right".

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
I didn't expect it but I found that "hamburger menu" was very quickly understood and remembered by non-technical people.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
So e10 is right around the corner for us non-beta testers (51.0 IIRC), and according to Add-on Compatibility Reporter, these are the add-ons I still use that are not e10s compatible and some of them haven't been updated in years so I have little hope at this point, so I would like to find replacements for them with ones that are e10s compatible but still retain the functionality. The add-ons are;

Clean Links
Google Reverse Image Search
Image Zoom

Can any of you guys recommend me some alternatives here? I've tried searching AMO but unless the add-on has thousands of users they get buried under dozens and dozens of pages.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Im_Special posted:

So e10 is right around the corner for us non-beta testers (51.0 IIRC), and according to Add-on Compatibility Reporter, ...

Oh, awesome! I can finally see what addons are preventing e10s for me:

Google Redirects Fixer
Location Guard
Nuke Anything Enhanced

Yep, things I just can't live without.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

The only two addons I use that aren't e10s compatible are Hide Caption Titlebar Plus and Self Destructing Cookies, those are two of my favourite extensions though :(.

Hargrimm posted:

If you want to verify, open About Firefox from the question mark in the hamburger menu and make sure it says you're on 50.0.2

Alt -> H -> A works too.

Read fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Dec 2, 2016

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

I installed that compatibility addon and restarted and now the addon manager page loads forever :firefox:

Edit: updating to 52.0.2 seems to get it going. Looks like 1password is the only addon I really use that's not compatible.

the yeti fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Dec 2, 2016

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK
Welp. I seem to have significantly more non-e10s compatible extensions than compatible ones. (47 vs. 28.) Guess there's no e10s in my future.

I tried getting a list of them with extension list dumper, but it doesn't want to work. Suffice it to say I'm not typing up the list of them all by hand.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh
Are they completely incompatible or are they just not explicitly compatible? Many legacy extensions can use shims that come with Firefox to continue to function.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Stupid Firefox only updated itself to 50.0.1 (and showed the pretty "You're Up To Date!!!" screen - shouldn't that be dynamic?) so now I have to restart my drat browser again.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

Avenging Dentist posted:

Are they completely incompatible or are they just not explicitly compatible? Many legacy extensions can use shims that come with Firefox to continue to function.

The 47 all say "Not compatible with multiprocess." with that Addon Compatibility Reporter linked above installed. (The other 28 say "Compatible with multiprocess.")

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Avenging Dentist posted:

Shims are costly and can degrade browser performance such that e10s is worse than normal Firefox.

m2pt5 posted:

The 47 all say "Not compatible with multiprocess." with that Addon Compatibility Reporter linked above installed. (The other 28 say "Compatible with multiprocess.")

How the gently caress do you have that many addons.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

m2pt5 posted:

Welp. I seem to have significantly more non-e10s compatible extensions than compatible ones. (47 vs. 28.) Guess there's no e10s in my future.

I tried getting a list of them with extension list dumper, but it doesn't want to work. Suffice it to say I'm not typing up the list of them all by hand.

about :support has a plaintext list, if your text editor supports regex you can just copy the page and filter to Name: (\w+ ?)+

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Is all this reliable in any way? Context Search 0.6.4 reports as incompatible with multiprocess, while the maker's website says they made it compatible last march with that version update specifically.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Oh look some more stupid loving cutesy bullshit that doesn't say what the gently caress it is. On the other had, I don't really care.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.

Avenging Dentist posted:

Mine just flat out don't work.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?
I was on the verge of switching back to Chrome earlier this week due to buggy, sluggish performance & ultra slow startup in Firefox. Then I tried disabling my addons, and eventually found out that Lastpass is an absolute dog and was dragging it down.

I might have to permanently ditch Lastpass just because of this, even though I use the iPhone app all the time.

As a replacement I'm trialing the Passifox addon, which connects to the keepass app to fill in passwords.
It works fine so far.

Does anyone else have the same problem with Lastpass?

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

This is what meat is supposed to be like, dingus
I tried chrome for a few days. It was not a seamless transition but i endured.

Then I tried to download a youtube video using my video download addon and it flat out refused because apparently google would take them from the app store thing if they permitted youtube downloading.

So I went back to firefox. The reason I need to download videos is that stuff constantly goes missing on youtube. If you have a 10 part comedy show saved to your favourites then come back to see it three years later. Parts 2-3-5-7 could very well be gone.

I was recently struck by a pang of guilt over my ad blocker. Surfing the internet and devouring all free content without doing anything in return. So I disabled it to see what the internet looks like these days.

Has anyone here used youtube without an ad blocker lately? They have ads that are 15 minutes long. I kid you not. Not a big deal if you're watching a video but when you have a playlist set and are listening to a story on youtube or music and it cuts into a 15 minute ad it's a disaster.

Some youtube ads even make you click an option before it even moves on at all.

NVB
Jan 23, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Zephyrine posted:

Then I tried to download a youtube video using my video download addon and it flat out refused because apparently google would take them from the app store thing if they permitted youtube downloading.

So I went back to firefox. The reason I need to download videos is that stuff constantly goes missing on youtube. If you have a 10 part comedy show saved to your favourites then come back to see it three years later. Parts 2-3-5-7 could very well be gone.

I was recently struck by a pang of guilt over my ad blocker. Surfing the internet and devouring all free content without doing anything in return. So I disabled it to see what the internet looks like these days.

Has anyone here used youtube without an ad blocker lately? They have ads that are 15 minutes long. I kid you not. Not a big deal if you're watching a video but when you have a playlist set and are listening to a story on youtube or music and it cuts into a 15 minute ad it's a disaster.

just uses tampermonkey and use youtube center dev build for all your YT needs :> https://github.com/YePpHa/YouTubeCenter/wiki/Developer-Version

only need to click the userscipt for both chrome and firefox

astral
Apr 26, 2004

wooger posted:

I was on the verge of switching back to Chrome earlier this week due to buggy, sluggish performance & ultra slow startup in Firefox. Then I tried disabling my addons, and eventually found out that Lastpass is an absolute dog and was dragging it down.

I might have to permanently ditch Lastpass just because of this, even though I use the iPhone app all the time.

As a replacement I'm trialing the Passifox addon, which connects to the keepass app to fill in passwords.
It works fine so far.

Lastpass has a horrible track record for security, so ditching them is a pretty great idea.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

wooger posted:

Lastpass sucks. But if you're willing to wait a while, Mozilla appears to be starting work on their own password manager (which will hopefully be cross-platform and include browser integration): https://careers.mozilla.org/position/gh/461042

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

Read posted:

How the gently caress do you have that many addons.

:shrug:

Read posted:

about :support has a plaintext list, if your text editor supports regex you can just copy the page and filter to Name: (\w+ ?)+

Ok, I was able to get close to something usable with that, so here's my extension list marked with reported compatibility (1=yes, 0=no): http://pastebin.com/yPCz0Prf

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

You get a hundred and forty one thousand years and you're out in eight!
I'm on version 50.0 and the package manager in Fedora (dnf) says I'm up to date.

Is there a way of forcing an early upgrade in Linux from a different repo without breaking the usual stream of updates? So that when 50.0.2+ hits the Fedora repos it'll carry on as before?

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Zephyrine posted:

I don't see why the downloader needs to be part of the browser at all. There's a command-line thing called youtube-dl that does everything you could possibly need, and can even do things like download an entire playlist in one shot.

https://rg3.github.io/youtube-dl/

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

astral posted:

Lastpass has a horrible track record for security, so ditching them is a pretty great idea.
Lastpass remains super popular and widely recommended because it's the only reasonably-priced, cross-platform, cloud-based password manager. It would be cool if Mozilla could unseat them, but given the disaster of the Firefox Sync user experience I'm not too confident.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Powered Descent posted:

I don't see why the downloader needs to be part of the browser at all. There's a command-line thing called youtube-dl that does everything you could possibly need, and can even do things like download an entire playlist in one shot.

https://rg3.github.io/youtube-dl/

Asking people to switch to a command line utility is a bit much, is there any good third party GUI to use with that?

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Is there any way to stop the bookmarks toolbar from appearing every time I abuse it as a dumping ground for temporary bookmarks?
It started 'helpfully' enabling the toolbar whenever something gets added to it ever since Firefox 50 rolled out and it's actually getting pretty annoying.

Do you guys know anything that does not involve changing my workflow? Google sure doesn't help because it's flooded with people not knowing how to enable it in the first place (probably the reason why they introduced this behavior).

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Alereon posted:

Lastpass remains super popular and widely recommended because it's the only reasonably-priced, cross-platform, cloud-based password manager. It would be cool if Mozilla could unseat them, but given the disaster of the Firefox Sync user experience I'm not too confident.

1password has a cloud service now: https://1password.com/sign-up/

It's a little more expensive and I don't recommend cloud-based password managers in general, but at least they have a significantly better attitude towards security than LastPass.

And 1Password still sells standalone licenses without the cloud-based stuff, though for this use case I generally just recommend KeePass.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
I put my KeePass database on my Dropbox. I've achieved the cloud.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!
KeePass plus Dropbox, and clients on iOS or Android. Free, and as secure as you'll get with any cloud service you have to pay for. The KeePass addon for Firefox is also really good. I think it's called KeeFox. Posting from mobile, so I can't check.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

xamphear posted:

KeePass plus Dropbox, and clients on iOS or Android. Free, and as secure as you'll get with any cloud service you have to pay for. The KeePass addon for Firefox is also really good. I think it's called KeeFox. Posting from mobile, so I can't check.

You got it right.

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

fishmech posted:

Asking people to switch to a command line utility is a bit much, is there any good third party GUI to use with that?

lovely name aside, 4KDownload is what I use (and paid for so I could download playlists longer than 30 videos). Also does the video/soundcloud->mp3 etc.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.

Avenging Dentist posted:

Lastpass sucks.
Why does it suck? I get that it eats performance because of all the fields it checks on any page, but they have never been breached and seem to take any little blurp on their radar that could be something and acts on it.

Anyway I use both Keepass and Lastpass, Keepass because gently caress not having a offline version in case one morning I wake up and Lastpass is down or gone for good, I'd be boned, and Lastpass because it's super convenient at what it does and nothing else comes close.

My tip for Lastpass users though is to use it, but don't give it your 100% accurate password. An example of it would be if your SA password was 8!Nz5DCCJYO%5Kq5w9!t add this to Lastpass but with 3 extra random characters at the end, so 8!Nz5DCCJYO%5Kq5w9!t5&f, then all you have to do is delete the last 3 characters of any password field manually when using it, now if this hypothetical breach happens it's useless to anyone who gets it because nothing would work anyway unless they know your "system" of using it.

Im_Special fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Dec 3, 2016

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

Im_Special posted:

Why does it suck? I get that it eats performance because of all the fields it checks on any page, but they have never been breached and seem to take any little blurp on their radar that could be something and acts on it.
The main argument is against the balance of security and convenience they offer. Lastpass has suffered some breaches, though none that resulted in a compromise of credentials for users. In general it is obviously better to keep your own local database than trust a cloud provider.

quote:

My tip for Lastpass users though is to use it, but don't give it your 100% accurate password. An example of it would be if your SA password was 8!Nz5DCCJYO%5Kq5w9!t add this to Lastpass but with 3 extra random characters at the end, so 8!Nz5DCCJYO%5Kq5w9!t5&f, then all you have to do is delete the last 3 characters of any password field manually when using it, now if this hypothetical breach happens it's useless to anyone who gets it because nothing would work anyway unless they know your "system" of using it.
This is a lot of work just to defeat the convenience Lastpass offers. The point of Lastpass is that it is simpler than re-using the same password on multiple sites, anything even a little more complicated breaks that model. If you're a turbonerd, roll your own solution using KeePass. LastPass is for the kind of people who see a setup guide and their eyes glaze over.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.

Alereon posted:

This is a lot of work just to defeat the convenience Lastpass offers. The point of Lastpass is that it is simpler than re-using the same password on multiple sites, anything even a little more complicated breaks that model. If you're a turbonerd, roll your own solution using KeePass. LastPass is for the kind of people who see a setup guide and their eyes glaze over.

It's really not though, I use Lastpass how anyone else uses it, but in my example you just need to hit backspace 3 times in all your password fields before logging in, takes about 1 second longer to use then a regular Lastpass user. I'd say trying to sync poo poo with dropbox it way more of a hassle.

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan
KeePass>*

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

Im_Special posted:

Lastpass because it's super convenient at what it does and nothing else comes close.
Can you go into detail on this? I started using a password database back in 2002 or 2003 (Any Password) then exported that into KeePass when that came out and had better features. I've since shifted from lugging the database around on a USB drive to keeping it in my Dropbox, and between KeePass Touch on iOS and KeeFox on the PC, I can pretty much log into anything with a couple clicks or taps.

What does LastPass bring to the table that's worth paying them $12 a year and makes my KeePass solution not even close?

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

Im_Special posted:

It sucks because the perf is awful and there are better options like KeePass anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Zephyrine posted:

You don't have to use only one browser. I use FF mainly, but Chrome for what it's best for - google's sites, such as YouTube, Gmail, Calendar, Maps, and also Facebook chat and video streaming. Firefox has always been slow with YouTube and videos I think, but I use FF for YouTube video downloading as well (same reason as you).

Oh, and screw not using an ad blocker, can't help you there. :)