Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
superloosegoose
Dec 26, 2008
Looks like I got a little too trigger happy with reforging some 4* gear and now I have 158k gold where only recently did I have around 33 million! Oh well, what would I have done with it anyway? It kinda sucks there isn't much you can spend gold on.

When is the next orbfest? That's where I got the vast majority of my gold from.

drat I got lucky with cagnazzo- completely mastered. No one got stopped, he slowga'd once (3/5 of my team), and only one tsunami passed through. I didn't trigger dusks decree or Maria's song. I only used one squall OSB rw too. My team:

RW: Sub-Zero Blast (lv. 99) = ~40k a pop

Tyro --- Sentinel's Grimoire - Mako Might
Ashe --- Dusk's Decree - Devotion
Pecil --- Paladin Force - Ace Striker
Celes --- Maria's Song - Love's Wake
Faris --- Beryl Serpent/Sea Lord's Broadside - Dr Mog's

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Killed doga and Unei thinking "ok time for the U++" then got to the rewards screen and remembered they were the U++ fight. Vaan BSB continues making magic heavy boss fights a total joke. He also carries Mug Bloodlust because sure why not stack it with his BSB and full break so that everyone just rips through enemies like they're made out of paper.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

CaptainPsyko posted:

So I guess trolling MP matches and casting sleep on healers and dismissal-ing OSB casts is a thing now.

Doesn't the MP interface allow you to block players that have proven to be Problematic? Sounds like we need to start keeping tally.

Alternately, never brave the pubbies because the pubbies hate you.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

KataraniSword posted:

A friend of mine getting into the game just now is looking at the FF3 banner and considering pulling on it, and I have to ask: does Onion Knight's MC3 ever get added to the hall of rites? He's useless without it and I don't think they have the hones/levels/MCs to clear the event and tackle through to the ++ stage right now. And I can't rightly suggest a friend pull on a banner where they might get two amazing SBs they can nonetheless never use because OK without minmaxing is garbage.

Yes, OK's MC3 is added to the hall of rights. I started JP FFRK after this event, but managed to pull a bunch of his gear during the anniversary. So when the next FFIII event landed and I could actually get some OK motes, I had to get his MC3 from the hall of rights (it isn't given out in the next event).

If your friend pulls anything for OK, have them bite the bullet and use eggs to level him up. Getting those 5 OK motes from the Cid Missions saves so much trouble. I farmed the FFIII EXP dungeon the whole time it was available in the next FFIII event and only got 8 motes.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

KataraniSword posted:

Doesn't the MP interface allow you to block players that have proven to be Problematic? Sounds like we need to start keeping tally.

Alternately, never brave the pubbies because the pubbies hate you.

Yeah, you can block them after the fact.

That said I'm not even mad, I'm mainly just laughing. He didn't sabotage the kill, he just put a healer to sleep near the end and then went out of his way to deny someone else the killing blow.

Munoma
Jul 9, 2008

Kawalimus posted:

You can also poison that guy, which can help deal with his high HP.

Welp, better check to see if I can hone Chain Biora or Bio Grenade.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Munoma posted:

Welp, better check to see if I can hone Chain Biora or Bio Grenade.

Chain Biora is a lovely way to land poison. Venom Buster isn't great but it'll do. Poison Shell is great if you have a machinist to use Bio Grenade by can't hone it.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
Who the gently caress is Ceodore?

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.

Elephant Ambush posted:

Who the gently caress is Ceodore?

Cecil's son from the FFIV sequel

Munoma
Jul 9, 2008

CaptainPsyko posted:

Chain Biora is a lovely way to land poison. Venom Buster isn't great but it'll do. Poison Shell is great if you have a machinist to use Bio Grenade by can't hone it.

Good to know, I guess?

Anyway my Poison shell is at 4 and my Bio Grenade is still at default but I never use Dark Orbs so I think I'll be fine.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

Munoma posted:

I never use Dark Orbs
how

I need more, always, forever :qq:

Munoma
Jul 9, 2008

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

how

I need more, always, forever :qq:

I have like 188 Greater Fires I need to get rid of as well.

Let me do a check, I do know I always seem to lack power, wind and sometimes holy.

Before I start though this isn't a dickswing, I know many of you have far more inventory than myself.

Six Major Dark, 96 Greater Dark, 289 Dark.

*edit*

Second and third highest aside from fire is earth and wind, same value orders listed.

29 Earth Majors, 76, then 70
22 Wind Majors, 104, then 146

*Final edit*

I just honed Multi Break recently to beat U Bahamut. :)

Munoma fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Dec 2, 2016

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Clearly you need to just max out Dark Zone.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

Between Thief's Revenge, Dark Zone, and Chain Stonega, dark is probably my worst orb lately.

Munoma
Jul 9, 2008

Between Thief's Revenge, Dark Zone, and Chain Stonega, dark is probably my worst orb lately.

So yeah, how about some suggestions grand poobah?

What should I be honing?

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

I dunno man, I've only been playing this game for like four months :shrug: Just hone stuff for characters you use a lot. Vaan is permanently affixed to my A team so I made Thief's Revenge a priority, for example, and I have Chain Stonega because I have Maria's BSB.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
I have r3'd Chain Blizzard, Firaga, and Thundaga. I also want to start working on Stonega.

Give me all of your black orbs, game! :argh:

Munoma
Jul 9, 2008

I dunno man, I've only been playing this game for like four months :shrug: Just hone stuff for characters you use a lot. Vaan is permanently affixed to my A team so I made Thief's Revenge a priority, for example, and I have Chain Stonega because I have Maria's BSB.

I don't even have an A team, just favorite characters. That and characters I either deal with or loathe completely.

Also I have another unpopular statement.

I shattered theifs revenge because it was useless to me.

a computer ghost
May 30, 2011

an unhackable cat???
I was flush with 3* motes and foolishly dived into the Red Mage trap and now I have no 3* spirit motes. Red Mage isn't that useless, right? :gbsmith:

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Munoma posted:

So yeah, how about some suggestions grand poobah?

What should I be honing?

The first two of those are a good start.

That said, after the obligatory "GET FULL BREAK" the answer is more and more varied these days. Lean into your relics, and/or aim for versatile CM tools.

In the former category would be Chain -ga spells (or Dark Zone) that match any enelement Mage SSBs you have (ditto Tornado Strike, Lightning Dive, Saint's Cross, Sapphire Shot as appropriate for physical.)
Similarly, if you have a great use everywhere Knight, Saints Cross is a no brained. Got a thief with a top tier Burst (hello, Vaan), Thief's Revenge is a strong call. Got a Celerity 5/Combat 5 like Lightning or Gau in need of some butans? Powerchain and Full Charge are excellent.

In your case, since I know you have Tidus's OSB, I'll strongly recommend Sapphire Shot. (Hydroburst is a good 4* AoE for him too.) Powerchain/Full charge is also a really good combo on him, but pricey. That said, I mainly use Tidus with R3 Powerchain and Sapphire Shot these days - mainly for Powerchain-> OSB fun times.

In the latter category, you have strong tools that will let you take on CM's relic free.

In that category we have a number of two-ability combo packages that are very strong.

Memento Mori / Dark Zone is so potent that I have, on multiple occasions, handed a no-synergy Mage sword to the likes of Jecht or Leon and turned them into a competent 12-15k/round black Mage. In the hands of a real black Mage, utterly deadly. Dark zone really wants to be at R3 though, since you're stuck pairing it with the merely okay Memento Mori in most cases.

Blood of the Wyvern / Dragoon Jump or Lightning Dive - the latter is much much much stronger, but the former is good to have for NE damage if needed. As with Dark Zone this wants to be honed well because Blood is nothing special save for how it feeds your jumps.

Powerchain/Full Charge - has CM users in 3,6,7,8,10,13. (Some require diving) Does tons of damage. Very expensive.

Thief's Revenge, Saints Cross, Gaia Cross - all strong, and two out of three have very valuable utility.

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

Munoma posted:

I don't even have an A team, just favorite characters. That and characters I either deal with or loathe completely.

Also I have another unpopular statement.

I shattered theifs revenge because it was useless to me.

*shrug* If you have no useful thieves/hate all of them on a personal level then it is useless to you.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
heh check out the guy who shattered thief's revenge

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
The only dumb thing about shattering thief's revenge is that we didn't get a free copy so that means you crafted it first. Which says you didn't think it through the first time. That's on you though. :shrug:

Munoma
Jul 9, 2008

Snazzy Frocks posted:

heh check out the guy who shattered thief's revenge

I also scrapped Powerchain and Full Charge as well.

CaptainPsyko posted:

The first two of those are a good start.

That said, after the obligatory "GET FULL BREAK" the answer is more and more varied these days. Lean into your relics, and/or aim for versatile CM tools.

In the former category would be Chain -ga spells (or Dark Zone) that match any enelement Mage SSBs you have (ditto Tornado Strike, Lightning Dive, Saint's Cross, Sapphire Shot as appropriate for physical.)
Similarly, if you have a great use everywhere Knight, Saints Cross is a no brained. Got a thief with a top tier Burst (hello, Vaan), Thief's Revenge is a strong call. Got a Celerity 5/Combat 5 like Lightning or Gau in need of some butans? Powerchain and Full Charge are excellent.

In your case, since I know you have Tidus's OSB, I'll strongly recommend Sapphire Shot. (Hydroburst is a good 4* AoE for him too.) Powerchain/Full charge is also a really good combo on him, but pricey. That said, I mainly use Tidus with R3 Powerchain and Sapphire Shot these days - mainly for Powerchain-> OSB fun times.

In the latter category, you have strong tools that will let you take on CM's relic free.

In that category we have a number of two-ability combo packages that are very strong.

Memento Mori / Dark Zone is so potent that I have, on multiple occasions, handed a no-synergy Mage sword to the likes of Jecht or Leon and turned them into a competent 12-15k/round black Mage. In the hands of a real black Mage, utterly deadly. Dark zone really wants to be at R3 though, since you're stuck pairing it with the merely okay Memento Mori in most cases.

Blood of the Wyvern / Dragoon Jump or Lightning Dive - the latter is much much much stronger, but the former is good to have for NE damage if needed. As with Dark Zone this wants to be honed well because Blood is nothing special save for how it feeds your jumps.

Powerchain/Full Charge - has CM users in 3,6,7,8,10,13. (Some require diving) Does tons of damage. Very expensive.

Thief's Revenge, Saints Cross, Gaia Cross - all strong, and two out of three have very valuable utility.

I do want to hone Full Break but I'm waiting for the Orb Dungeon. Trust me it is a priority.

I know Dark is a good element but I see very little point in honing Dark Zone when Dark Bargain is much more useful for me atm.

Hydroshot is almost completed, Saphire Shot is interesting but I'm sleeping on it.

I could work Lighting Dive and Saint Cross isn't at default for me because, esuna+regen.

LornMarkus posted:

*shrug* If you have no useful thieves/hate all of them on a personal level then it is useless to you.

Well I do feel silly now because I have Force Knuckles + for Rikku.

That and Orchalicum for Zidane.

Munoma fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Dec 2, 2016

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
u seem like a guy who could use a flare strike

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

Well poo poo, I didn't expect them to drop that IV TAY event before they even put the second banner for the X event. Not gonna complain though, more Mythril for a pull. :eyepop:

Munoma
Jul 9, 2008

Snazzy Frocks posted:

eh, I didn't want to create black magic Flare due to Meteor requiring similar orbs and being field damage.

I do have Squall, Celes, and Bartz however so I think I've made up my mind.

*edit*

Made it but I lack Power Orbs and Gil. :doh:

Munoma fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Dec 2, 2016

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Adel posted:

I was flush with 3* motes and foolishly dived into the Red Mage trap and now I have no 3* spirit motes. Red Mage isn't that useless, right? :gbsmith:

It's still stats and three star motes are stupid common.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

Snazzy Frocks posted:

But Flare Strike is pretty goddamn terrible. Hitting 9999 is easy enough I suppose, but multi-hit attacks are so plentiful right now, that why bother?

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

thats the joke, sarcasm was implied :ssh:

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

My genre's thriller... What's yours?
I have well over 100 of each Major Orb type and over 200 Power and Black but I am still wringing my hands over honing these chain spells. I wouldn't even be considering it but I pulled Rinoa's burst. I can't even use my rosetta stones. This is a cell phone game, this is hosed up.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

Beasteh posted:

thats the joke, sarcasm was implied :ssh:

Well in this case looks like Munoma was about to craft it. :v:

SageAcrin
Apr 23, 2014

there was a mean thing here before, but now there is a dog

ParliamentOfDogs posted:

I have well over 100 of each Major Orb type and over 200 Power and Black but I am still wringing my hands over honing these chain spells. I wouldn't even be considering it but I pulled Rinoa's burst. I can't even use my rosetta stones. This is a cell phone game, this is hosed up.

It's funny. Roguelike mentality actually kicks in for me and punts me to use orbs every so often, on the lines of "If you get into trouble with them in your inventory, you're going to regret it", similar to "If you die with potions in your inventory, they're no use.". I keep a buffer to make 4* and down abilities with, of about 10 Majors each, for emergencies, past that it's fair game. (Except Summon, because I've made the one Summon I can possibly foresee needing in an emergency, Carbuncle.)

That roguelike mentality helps me with a Final Fantasy cell phone game has never stopped amusing me. Doesn't stop there, either. All hail the floor god gatcha.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Looks like JP is getting a difficulty increase for their bonus battles. Instead of 140/160/180, they're now 140/180/220. So yes, Cid's Missions are going to be Ultimate++ instead of Ultimate+.

They upped the rewards too, but man, I'm going to have to bow out of a few CMs now.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

ApplesandOranges posted:

They upped the rewards too, but man, I'm going to have to bow out of a few CMs now.

Why say this now? Six months is a lot of power creepin'

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

CaptainPsyko posted:

Why say this now? Six months is a lot of power creepin'

There are some realms I have no interest in drawing for, either because I'm saving for other banners or I'm just not interested in the characters. So realms like I, II and XIII.

There isn't that much power creep either, at least not in terms of abilities - Spellblades, Thieves and Ninjas get more options, but otherwise that's more or less it.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Mithross posted:

Cecil's son from the FFIV sequel

I just looked this up and lol. They've really run out of characters to add from the main series I guess.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

ApplesandOranges posted:

There are some realms I have no interest in drawing for, either because I'm saving for other banners or I'm just not interested in the characters. So realms like I, II and XIII.

There isn't that much power creep either, at least not in terms of abilities - Spellblades, Thieves and Ninjas get more options, but otherwise that's more or less it.

And, Y'know, more MC3's than you can shake a stick at and enough orbs to hone the sort of 5* skills that make no relic CM's viable.

But if you feel like throwing in the towel on 1 stam challenges six months ahead of time, more power to you I guess. :shrug:

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
I like the sound of that change. :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

CaptainPsyko posted:

And, Y'know, more MC3's than you can shake a stick at and enough orbs to hone the sort of 5* skills that make no relic CM's viable.

But if you feel like throwing in the towel on 1 stam challenges six months ahead of time, more power to you I guess. :shrug:

Doesn't mean I'm not gonna try, but I'm more prepared to expect failure than for current ones, where there is some way to clear it even with just about no synergy.

• Locked thread