Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
How does the whole voting and ranking thing in Jump work?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Mraagvpeine posted:

How does the whole voting and ranking thing in Jump work?

Read Bakuman. But basically, the series that get more reader votes are generally placed at the front of the magazine, while the series that are lagging behind, are placed in the back. The exceptions are if they're a big long-time runner like Kochikame was, or still selling well in merchandise and volumes, so they can sit anywhere, and not be canceled. Bleach was sorta like that in its last two years, where everybody knew it was ending and dying so it was always in the back, but it was still making enough profit that they could let that final arc drag on and on. Series on the verge of ending tend to be in the back in general, hence me correctly assuming Toriko was in its final phases even though I don't read Toriko, because it kept showing up at the bottom on a consistent weekly basis.

EDIT: Other fun facts, covers and color pages are generally discounted from rankings. Color pages tend to be used for promoting the series, so if a series gets a color page consistently, that generally means Jump's heavily pushing it, which happened with MHA and Black Clover.

Allarion fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Dec 2, 2016

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

And how quickly does the magazine process the votes to determine the ranking?

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
There's a survey every week, and the results basically come 8 weeks later.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

Allarion posted:

Read Bakuman. But basically, the series that get more reader votes are generally placed at the front of the magazine, while the series that are lagging behind, are placed in the back. The exceptions are if they're a big long-time runner like Kochikame was, or still selling well in merchandise and volumes, so they can sit anywhere, and not be canceled. Bleach was sorta like that in its last two years, where everybody knew it was ending and dying so it was always in the back, but it was still making enough profit that they could let that final arc drag on and on. Series on the verge of ending tend to be in the back in general, hence me correctly assuming Toriko was in its final phases even though I don't read Toriko, because it kept showing up at the bottom on a consistent weekly basis.

EDIT: Other fun facts, covers and color pages are generally discounted from rankings. Color pages tend to be used for promoting the series, so if a series gets a color page consistently, that generally means Jump's heavily pushing it, which happened with MHA and Black Clover.

All this, with the caveat that the Jump Editor in Chief (I think. Or at least someone high up in the Shueisha chain.) has final say on the order of series. So the EiC could if they wanted to put lagging series higher than they got by votes, although there's been no confirmation that this ever happened. I think I heard some rumors that Kuroko's Basket was in that position once, but nothing concrete.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it is a system meant to cultivate mega-hits rather than a stable stable of moderately successful series. so, for things that flop right from the start like amalgam there is very little chance they will ever climb the rankings before they are cancelled.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

it is a system meant to cultivate mega-hits rather than a stable stable of moderately successful series. so, for things that flop right from the start like amalgam there is very little chance they will ever climb the rankings before they are cancelled.

Yeah they're always churning through new series looking for the next hit. There's all sorts of other politics involving the number of action or romance series that can be supported by polls at any given time. IIRC, you only get to rank your top three favorite series in the survey, so like if there are already three smash hit action series that appeal to the same general demographic, it will be much, much harder to get a good ranking with something that is trying to aim for the same group.

Read Bakuman it's good.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Caveat: Not everything Bakuman says is true or is still true even if it was true before

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
sj doesn't strictly follow the rankings, but the specifics are rarely made public. plus, bakuman was published years ago so even the stuff it was completely accurate about may not be true now.

beaten.

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

How's Kimetsu no Yaiba doing? Speaking of which, I should go catch up! I'm a few months behind!

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Kimetsu no Yaiba seems fine. Never at the bottom, and always hanging around. Sometimes even pops up near the top. Anyways, rankings give a decent idea on the health of a series. Red Sprite started low, stayed low, and now it's dead. Basically if it's consistently near the bottom, especially if it's a new series, it probably won't last long. This has been true for all the other canceled new series too.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Allarion posted:

Kimetsu no Yaiba seems fine. Never at the bottom, and always hanging around. Sometimes even pops up near the top. Anyways, rankings give a decent idea on the health of a series. Red Sprite started low, stayed low, and now it's dead. Basically if it's consistently near the bottom, especially if it's a new series, it probably won't last long. This has been true for all the other canceled new series too.

Good to hear about Yaiba. I never picked it up after the Jump Start, but it seemed promising and MS' Authors Comments had them saying "Thanks for the support" last week or so which I'd come to associate with the end of a series.

EDIT: Speaking of which I just read this week's and Oda went to lunch with Shimabukuro and Kishimoto. I guess they just weren't close but Oda completely ignoring Bleach's end while celebrating Naruto and Toriko is endlessly funny to me.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

What is Kishimoto doing nowadays?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
aside from reconnecting with his estranged family? writing lots of stories about estranged dads, mostly.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Next time on demons plan
Protagonist fights:

A COMMUNIST

Spoilers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4KROpdUkrM

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

aside from reconnecting with his estranged family? writing lots of stories about estranged dads, mostly.

But I thought Boruto was being written by somebody else.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Good to hear about Yaiba. I never picked it up after the Jump Start, but it seemed promising and MS' Authors Comments had them saying "Thanks for the support" last week or so which I'd come to associate with the end of a series.

EDIT: Speaking of which I just read this week's and Oda went to lunch with Shimabukuro and Kishimoto. I guess they just weren't close but Oda completely ignoring Bleach's end while celebrating Naruto and Toriko is endlessly funny to me.
I've heard that Oda's contract with Jump is a lot less favorable to him than Kubo's was due to how long ago it was made and the terms he accepted vs what Kubo did.

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012
when you see those jump ranking lists its just a list of the table of contents and probably isnt correct most of the time

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012

Fabricated posted:

I've heard that Oda's contract with Jump is a lot less favorable to him than Kubo's was due to how long ago it was made and the terms he accepted vs what Kubo did.

seems like he would have renegotiated it by now anyway

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Law Cheetah posted:

when you see those jump ranking lists its just a list of the table of contents and probably isnt correct most of the time

And yet stuff that is consistently in the back gets cancelled. So for the purpose of predicting which series are doing well enough to continue or will soon get the axe, it's perfectly fine.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

Slime posted:

But I thought Boruto was being written by somebody else.

It might be like Toriyama with DB Super. Provide a few broad plot points and some character designs, but leave the finer details to others.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Boruto is being written by someone else.

Well. Once they stop just redoing the movie it will be.

Kishi I think was involved in the movie's plot. But past that it's all the assistant that took over.

coathat
May 21, 2007

If you're a fan of adventure you need to be reading Pygmalio. It is a shoujo manga but it's on par with the pinnacle of shonen adventure manga. http://bato.to/comic/_/comics/pygmalio-r2957

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2016/12/01/welcome-to-the-ballroom-gets-back-on-the-dance-floor-next-month

biggest news of the year

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Kengan Asura continues to be pretty entertaining in its quest to portray the world's most out-of-his-depth (or is he???) man.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
the art style works so well for it

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...
2017 looking good already...

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

HenryEx posted:

Kengan Asura continues to be pretty entertaining in its quest to portray the world's most out-of-his-depth (or is he???) man.

Yamashita is the true main character of the story, not Ohma.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

So for Kengan, we can guess on who wins what.

First Round:

Fight 1: Boss burger guy (why not?)

Fight 2: Wakasa Life guy

Fight 3: Clearly the Kure

Fight 4: Ohma of course

Fight 5: United Clothing Guy

Fight 6: Sawada for some reason

Fight 7: Muteba

Fight 8: OUR BOY SEKIBAYASHI JUN

Fight 9: Fishery Guy

Fight 10: Gold Pleasure Guy

Fight 11: RIHITO

Fight 12: Kiyru

Fight 13: Hatsumi

Fight 14: Don't really care but Jouh Guy

Fight 15: Kaneda

Fight 16: The Fang of course

Second Round:

Fight 1: Wakasha guy again

Fight 2: Ohma so he can score hawt Kure booty later

Fight 3: Sawada Again

Fight 4: Muteba and he does something nasty to Sekibayashi

Fight 5: Gold pleasure guy

Fight 6: Rihitos gonna probably die to Kiyru

Fight 7: Hatsumi again

Fight 8: Fang

Quarter Finals:

Fight 1: Ohma

Fight 2: Muteba

Fight 3: Kiyru

Fight 4: Hatsumi upsets the Fang

Semi Finals:

Fight 1: Ohma brutally wrecks muteba

Fight 2: Kiyru

Finals:

Ohma

Just my guesses.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Adam Dudley is taking it all the way to the top.

Personal_Nirvana
Dec 28, 2012
To you, The Immortal aka "Fumetsu no Anata" is really cool you guys. Don't know if people talked about it in this thread, but go check it out. It's weird, but the good kind of weird.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

new kengan asura chapter is out

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the first match and it is already featuring the protagonist

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

the first match and it is already featuring the protagonist

Yeah, i can't wait for him to clown on FUCKboi.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
I believe in Adam.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

i hadn't given the tournament a thought because the manga is so japan based but lol at all the world leaders being there since the world economy might go tits up

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i think they just wanted to draw caricatures of world leaders

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Well it is supposed to be baki for a new generation.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Dudley needs to run the table.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Yamashita's gonna end up the new Chairman, mark my words.