Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Samu posted:

I'm playing through this game for the second time and I've noticed so many things that I missed the first time around.

I just did the Tower of Mice mission, and dropped off the ghosts remains at her ex-lover's house. Once you do you realize the ghost was playing you to get revenge on him and murders him with a bunch of rats. Love how dark this game can be.

You can probably infer the ghost was trying to do something like that if you choose the other way to resolve the quest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sanzuo
May 7, 2007

Pellisworth posted:

-Sell gear, the best gear until the expansions are crafted Witcher sets. You can hoard crafting components because they don't weigh anything.

-XP and quest rewards don't matter. There is enough XP in just the main quest chain for you to hit max level, you can just critical-path the main story and still end up at level 32/33 the same as if you'd done a bunch of side quests. There is wayyyyy more XP available in the game than necessary. Also, quests usually reward jack poo poo in terms of cash or valuable items. The key is to stop caring about the XP, money, or item rewards of quests and do them because they're entertaining. You have to break the RPG min/max habit of chasing stats and rewards and just do quests because they're cool.

Thanks for the tips.

What does the Armor stat do, exactly? Is it more important than resist%? What should I prioritize? Why do all the higher level armors look like jester motley? Can I just wear the best looking armor and not worry about it?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

OhFunny posted:

GOG added the GOTY Edition as a separate product in my library for free because I own the The Witcher 3 and it's expansions.

Thanks? I mean it's a nice gesture, but what's the point of having the game twice?

There are a few mod target problems with one or the other.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

OhFunny posted:

GOG added the GOTY Edition as a separate product in my library for free because I own the The Witcher 3 and it's expansions.

Thanks? I mean it's a nice gesture, but what's the point of having the game twice?

So you can unlock all of the achievements again.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

OhFunny posted:

WirelessPillow posted:

One download file instead of 30.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Sanzuo posted:

Thanks for the tips.

What does the Armor stat do, exactly? Is it more important than resist%? What should I prioritize? Why do all the higher level armors look like jester motley? Can I just wear the best looking armor and not worry about it?

Armor reduces physical damage by means of a mathematical formula that is opaque to me. I largely ignored it for the entire game and was fine. The armor you should be wearing for most of the game is one of the Witcher sets. You can buy maps to get diagrams for Witcher gear from various merchants, and once you have them you can get them crafted from any appropriate armorer / weaponsmith. By and large they're the most powerful and good-looking armor in the game, although for style I also appreciate Redanian Halberdier armor.

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

The only thing I hate more than hippie neo-liberal fascists and anarchists are the hypocrite fat cat suits they grow up to become.

Xarbala posted:

You can probably infer the ghost was trying to do something like that if you choose the other way to resolve the quest.

I just looked up the other way to end the mission and it's way more satisfying. Wish I had gone that route and not accidentally unleashed a plague on the land. On the other hand, the villagers did try to rape and murder her so maybe they deserve a bit of plague.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I wish more quests had failstates. It's really satisfying when you figure out the right piece of the puzzle and do your proper witcher-ing homework. One of my favorite quests in Witcher 2 is the one where you help the Kaedweni soldier get his honour back after making GBS threads his trousers. That one is quite easy to fail if you don't pay attention to everything in the area, so when it all comes together it feels great.

Witcher 3 does this with a lot of quests, but I still feel there is room for more of that ambiguity and the option to outright fail a quest.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Commie NedFlanders posted:

so far in my game i am constantly broke and scraping by

Get the trait that lets food heal you for 20 minutes. It makes you a bazillionaire.

Sanzuo
May 7, 2007

Cool how there's a respec potion. Too bad it's 1000 bucks. And I'm spending all my money on food.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Sanzuo posted:

Cool how there's a respec potion. Too bad it's 1000 bucks. And I'm spending all my money on food.

Hmm...

Winds howling.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Sanzuo posted:

Do you have Blood And Wine? If so, invest a point into Gourmet, it makes all the food items last for 20 minutes rather than 5-10 seconds. Alternatively, look into the Alchemy tree's potions tab. A tier 2 potion skill heals you for a percentage of your healthbar with each potion used.

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014

Arcsquad12 posted:

I wish more quests had failstates. It's really satisfying when you figure out the right piece of the puzzle and do your proper witcher-ing homework. One of my favorite quests in Witcher 2 is the one where you help the Kaedweni soldier get his honour back after making GBS threads his trousers. That one is quite easy to fail if you don't pay attention to everything in the area, so when it all comes together it feels great.

Witcher 3 does this with a lot of quests, but I still feel there is room for more of that ambiguity and the option to outright fail a quest.

An amazing example of a quest that does this correctly: HoS side quests spoiler: The halfling alchemist sends you to go find his apprentice, who went collect some flowers. You get there, find his cart and follow a blood trail to an empty village. The blood trail goes cold, and the village is run down except for an old couple. They tell you that the halfling was eaten by wolves, and generally act a little off. After speaking to them, the quest marker is to go back to the halfling alchemist. You speak to him and boom Geralt tells him his apprentice was eaten by wolves. End of quest.

Or, you uh realize the old couple are suspicious, there aren't any wolves in the area, their story doesn't add up, you would've found the body left by the wolves, etc. You can find a hidden trap door behind their house, wherein you discover they are cannibals and have been enjoying that little halfling's meat. You can then bring up this easily (since the cellar is never a quest marker) missed plot point up to them and choose what Geralt does.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Arcsquad12 posted:

Do you have Blood And Wine? If so, invest a point into Gourmet, it makes all the food items last for 20 minutes rather than 5-10 seconds. Alternatively, look into the Alchemy tree's potions tab. A tier 2 potion skill heals you for a percentage of your healthbar with each potion used.

Gourmet is basically cheating though.

grancheater
May 1, 2013

Wine'em, dine'em, 69'em
Gourmet should only apply to fine Toussaint food, not to that Velen gruel.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I made a Gwent thread here.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3800202

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

SirSamVimes posted:

Gourmet is basically cheating though.

Eh, personally I think it just makes the game more user friendly by reducing routine maintenance. It doesn't make healing rates better, it just makes it so you don't have to constantly keep your eye on a timer, and automatically heals you outside combat so you don't have to bother with resting so much. Also because of the ridiculous fall damage, always being at full health can be a real lifesaver if Geralt accidentally falls to his death of a chair or something.

But yeah, it would have been nice if it for example unlocked a selection of expensive gourmet foods at inns, and the bonus only applied to those.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Xarbala posted:

Yeah, there's some question you ask her that she answers with "Uh, what, um, well, you see..." and things become very suspect.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:
I've seen noblewomen with upside down dresses for a second time now, W3 never ceases to amuse me with hilarious visual bugs. :allears:

dud root
Mar 30, 2008

Delacroix posted:

I've seen noblewomen with upside down dresses for a second time now, W3 never ceases to amuse me with hilarious visual bugs. :allears:

Which visual bugs? :v:

shoutout to Witcher 2 no pant peasants

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

redbackground posted:

Yeah, there's some question you ask her that she answers with "Uh, what, um, well, you see..." and things become very suspect.

I love that there's quests whose outcome hinge entirely on the player's ability to pick apart an NPC's testimony.

Those Geralt-as-noir-detective covers are fantastic, if a touch on the nose.

Sanzuo
May 7, 2007

Xarbala posted:

I didn't realize there was an alternate way. I noticed she was suspicious, but seemed like all I could do was take her bones to her boyfriend.

Also finished this quest and most of the way through the Baron quest. This game can be pretty brutal.

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

The only thing I hate more than hippie neo-liberal fascists and anarchists are the hypocrite fat cat suits they grow up to become.
So I just finished the baron's questline, and I decided not to let the scary tree monster free because I already bumbled through that tower and let that plague lady free. Immediately after that I found some fat guy called the AllGod and I'm pretty sure I lead some villagers to their deahths because I thought it would be a funny interaction.

In trying to break Geralt's spree of accidentally releasing demons and spirits, I decided to say gently caress it and just kill the tree spirit outright. Turn out that lead to me saving the village but all the children immediately get eaten and the baron's wife goes crazy, but he kind of get reunited with his daughter and wife and doesn't wind up swinging from a tree like my first playthrough.

Success? I guess this is the better ending, but the other one is so much more impactful and one of the few moments I remember from the first time I played this game when it came out. I'm really enjoying my second go better than the first time though.

[Edit] Oh god drat it: I go back to the baron's keep to do the fist-fighting quest and it seems like the sergeant at arms has all the soldiers raping and pillaging everyone. I just can't win.

Samu fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Dec 3, 2016

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
There is a third option that involves some sequence breaking, but it's intentional, not a bug.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Arcsquad12 posted:

There is a third option that involves some sequence breaking, but it's intentional, not a bug.

And regardless, the end state at Crow's Perch will be the Sergeant taking over running the place and basically letting his guards run wild doing whatever the gently caress they want

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
You can't save them all.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

dud root posted:

Which visual bugs? :v:

shoutout to Witcher 2 no pant peasants

I'll miss hover roach, that's for sure.

I managed to record it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQwWJHBO0kk

Also, minced a whole lot of bad dudes. The game doesn't place enemies in a neat line to bowl over.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDf_k6CCvRQ

Severance is pretty neat with a mod that applies it to both swords.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Delacroix posted:

Also, minced a whole lot of bad dudes. The game doesn't place enemies in a neat line to bowl over.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDf_k6CCvRQ

Severance is pretty neat with a mod that applies it to both swords.

Holy poo poo, is this kind of poo poo possible without mods?

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Holy poo poo, is this kind of poo poo possible without mods?

Sure! The mod lets you use a second sword with whatever runes you want, that's all it does. And the status effect runes did very little in that scenario since I was mowing bandits down with pure DPS. What you're seeing there is the Euphoria mutation and Synergy boosted red mutagen bonuses doing heavy work.

In vanilla, Severance would need to be applied to both swords for extended whirl range. Runewords in general are atrocious value for money but I don't care enough about combat in W3 to find some overhaul mod. The only other mods I use are fast travel anywhere and reduced falling damage.

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014
The Caretaker..

:stare:

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014
One thing I do wish is that the more unique weapons and armors weren't so Shite. I understand that for a Witcher, there isn't much better than Witcher gear, but still. "Here is the An Craite sword, passed down through millions of years." [Even Geralt Recognizes How Epic This Sword is][It's Worse in Every Way than my other swords so I sold it]

Zelmel
Sep 17, 2004

O brain new world, that has such ganglia in't!

I AM BRAWW posted:

One thing I do wish is that the more unique weapons and armors weren't so Shite. I understand that for a Witcher, there isn't much better than Witcher gear, but still. "Here is the An Craite sword, passed down through millions of years." [Even Geralt Recognizes How Epic This Sword is][It's Worse in Every Way than my other swords so I sold it]

The proper thing to do is toss those cool unique swords and armor into your stash so you can hang them from the wall of your vineyard in blood and wine.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Zelmel posted:

The proper thing to do is toss those cool unique swords and armor into your stash so you can hang them from the wall of your vineyard in blood and wine.

Had I known this would eventually be an option I wouldn't have sold all that crap! THANKS CDPR

Delacroix posted:

Sure! The mod lets you use a second sword with whatever runes you want, that's all it does. And the status effect runes did very little in that scenario since I was mowing bandits down with pure DPS. What you're seeing there is the Euphoria mutation and Synergy boosted red mutagen bonuses doing heavy work.

In vanilla, Severance would need to be applied to both swords for extended whirl range. Runewords in general are atrocious value for money but I don't care enough about combat in W3 to find some overhaul mod. The only other mods I use are fast travel anywhere and reduced falling damage.

Cool, I'm still working through B&W and the mutations.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Zelmel posted:

godammit

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I did that and then I ended up like 'poo poo I don't even remember which is which'

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014
I've been laughing at this Toussaint Bank quest for the past 20 minutes.

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014
Having just gotten Corvo Bianco, would anyone like to explain what kind of "trophies" I can put on the little desks in front of my bed in the master bedroom? Also, are there a lot of paintings I might've missed? The only one that I recall being in my inventory had been Hemfart that I gave to Dandelion, and I have a Iris & Olg painting. Am I correct in realizing I cannot put this drat Caretaker Shovel up on a wall? :(

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

I AM BRAWW posted:

Having just gotten Corvo Bianco, would anyone like to explain what kind of "trophies" I can put on the little desks in front of my bed in the master bedroom? Also, are there a lot of paintings I might've missed? The only one that I recall being in my inventory had been Hemfart that I gave to Dandelion, and I have a Iris & Olg painting. Am I correct in realizing I cannot put this drat Caretaker Shovel up on a wall? :(

Trophies are obtained from various competitions. You will notice when you get one.

Paintings can be bought from some merchants, others will be obtained as quest rewards.

Weapons go on weapon racks, and I'm not sure if that particular one is compatible.

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014

steinrokkan posted:

Trophies are obtained from various competitions. You will notice when you get one.

Paintings can be bought from some merchants, others will be obtained as quest rewards.

Weapons go on weapon racks, and I'm not sure if that particular one is compatible.

Are painting and trophy rewards more in B&W? I don't recall any other painting, and am fresh in B&W.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

I AM BRAWW posted:

Are painting and trophy rewards more in B&W? I don't recall any other painting, and am fresh in B&W.

Yep. Most of the B&W stuff is self-contained like that.