Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Attendance.

I'm not joking. If you show up to every meeting, you'll be a powerhouse within a year.

If you can drag a few friends along it's even better.

If you can make a website/facebook page for them, you'll be a hero.

noice

i have no friends

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

anime was right posted:

noice

i have no friends

How's your webdev skillset?

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

How's your webdev skillset?

that was a joke. also, i do a lot of social media/communications stuff for work so theres probably something for me there.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Neeksy posted:

So basically he has the right messaging on this as opposed to what the rest of the dems are gonna do.

It's OK though, Pelosi and Co. are still around to lead the party.

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost
Just throw $20 at squarespace or some goon in SA-Mart.

surfacelevelspeck
Oct 1, 2008

communism's sleepiest soldier

Williamson County Young Democrats Trip Report

It was an interesting meeting. Very small numbers, apparently only 24 registered members, and including new people the meeting there was about a dozen or so people. Was actually less a meeting and more a get-together, there was nothing formal to be done so we just chatted. I felt like I was one of the most left-leaning people there but I'd say the group was significantly more progressive and open to outside opinions than the NxNW dems were. I talked with a few people at length about various subjects, and met Jimmy Flannigan, who just got elected to City Council District 6 for the city of Austin. He was a really interesting person to talk to - ran his campaign very similar to Bernie's, and swears like a sailor when he gets going. Gotta say, overall, I liked this group. There was enough diversity of opinion that I didn't feel like I was gonna get into an echo chamber (I disagreed a lot with the people I talked to, but not on fundamental things), and it made me feel a lot more hopeful about the future of democrats in my area at least. Apparently, when talking to the people there, this came about because of events that happened about a decade ago - a Republican managed to become the county head and effectively destroyed the party from the top down, and they've spent the last 10 years rebuilding.

Also, apparently I... may have offered myself up for office? Think I might've went too far too fast here.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

ScrubLeague posted:

Just throw $20 at squarespace or some goon in SA-Mart.

This guy made my logo and it is awesome:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=99747

Corny
Feb 18, 2006

i am scared
related to the thread title: fish frys are loving awesome and i encourage every one to go to as many as they can

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Corny posted:

related to the thread title: fish frys are loving awesome and i encourage every one to go to as many as they can

we do crab feeds out here

Corny
Feb 18, 2006

i am scared

Vox Nihili posted:

we do crab feeds out here

i''ll be honest...that sounds cool as hell

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
http://www.psp-tv.com/r/NiteCrew going to watch the harvard general election roundtable here if ya wanna listen and discuss it in chat

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Right as I'm about to start 3 hour bloc of teaching. :smith:

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
im not a fan of gabbard's links with weird hindu nationalists, but if thats what it takes to get good environmental policy passed, so be loving it

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
we're not going to get bernie, but getting 90% of a bernie that isn't into that whole corruption thing and that won't die from a chilly breeze after 4 years is fine.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

anime was right posted:

we're not going to get bernie, but getting 90% of a bernie that isn't into that whole corruption thing and that won't die from a chilly breeze after 4 years is fine.

The "Bernie of 2020" will likely be someone we don't expect or is very obscure as of now.

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

https://twitter.com/peterdaou/status/804044974425833472

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

this guy is the sorest loser lmao.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

can people stop loving paying attention to this guy

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009

Venom Snake posted:

He's a decent replacement for Bill Mitchell as far as entertainment value

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

anime was right posted:

this guy is the sorest loser lmao.

My dad says stuff to like this (Bernie ruined it for Hil) and I always ask him to what end and then there the conversation stops

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Attendance.

I'm not joking. If you show up to every meeting, you'll be a powerhouse within a year.

If you can drag a few friends along it's even better.

If you can make a website/facebook page for them, you'll be a hero.
What do you do if you can't find meetings for your state senate or state representative district? Because unless I'm looking in the wrong places, I'm not seeing anything about Democrats in my part of Delaware having meetings like this.

I would absolutely like to get involved on a major level within the near or immediate future, but it seems like the points of entry are a little obfuscated. I called my state Democrats HQ and was told to talk to my local district guy, but he hasn't answered once after three or four calls.

Enkmar posted:

My dad says stuff to like this (Bernie ruined it for Hil) and I always ask him to what end and then there the conversation stops
Sanders didn't ruin it for Clinton and Clinton didn't ruin it for Sanders. I don't get either narrative.

Nichael has issued a correction as of 09:25 on Dec 2, 2016

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

Nichael posted:

Sanders didn't ruin it for Clinton and Clinton didn't ruin it for Sanders. I don't get either narrative.

Agreed, honestly getting really loving tired of shooting inside the tent when there is so much to accomplish

as for what to do in lieu of any democratic organization, maybe just pick up the reins yourself. Start out with a facebook group for your local precinct? I promise if you begin stepping on someones toes they will let you know.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Nichael posted:

Of course Clinton ruined 'it' for Sanders, he would've won the nomination if not for her

Also, what is the inspiration for the thread title

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Civilized Fishbot posted:

Of course Clinton ruined 'it' for Sanders, he would've won the nomination if not for her

Also, what is the inspiration for the thread title
I meant it was a campaign, someone had to lose, and he performed pretty amazingly. He went from someone nobody knew except nerds like to a household name in a period of around six months.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

Nichael posted:

I meant it was a campaign, someone had to lose, and he performed pretty amazingly. He went from someone nobody knew except nerds like to a household name in a period of around six months.

Exactly, both candidates gave it their all in the circumstances they had and we got president Trump as a result, time to improve ourselves for the next round of elections.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Venom Snake posted:

i like being reminded of him so i can shoot him an incredibly brutal tweet

feels good

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Robert E. Mook posted:

I would rather lose

https://twitter.com/NYTNational/status/804565812199694336

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

*sips a fine wine*

*checks stock portfolio*

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
It was a game for them.

That's what you get when you put liberals in charge of poo poo, aka the people who know they can't really personally lose, except in an aesthetic dimension.

TheReddieBody
Oct 8, 2016

You cannot grasp the point of such a delay, it feeds the body.

The body grows.
Butt butt putt putt, their abeula.

I swear to loving god were gonna get its her turn again again as an actual thing soon enough and idiots here will go for it.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

TheReddieBody posted:

Butt butt putt putt, their abeula.

I swear to loving god were gonna get its her turn again again as an actual thing soon enough and idiots here will go for it.

did anybody actually ever say its her turn

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Yinlock posted:

did anybody actually ever say its her turn

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=noWGgAVqU10

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

i would rather win, personally

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

wow i didnt think someone actually said that

how lame of him

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Yinlock posted:

i would rather win, personally

I guess his position works if you buy that Trump won because of the racism he and his folks stirred up, rather than in spite of it. (Which I don't, but that's clearly what Mook was insinuating.) You don't want to abandon every principle, after all.

Abandoning the principle of "I can't be bothered to campaign in the (ugh) flyover states" would have been a good thought, though.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

docbeard posted:

I guess his position works if you buy that Trump won because of the racism he and his folks stirred up, rather than in spite of it. (Which I don't, but that's clearly what Mook was insinuating.) You don't want to abandon every principle, after all.

Abandoning the principle of "I can't be bothered to campaign in the (ugh) flyover states" would have been a good thought, though.

i'm sure there was a reason entire states were written off as sure things by voters and campaigners both

otherwise, it would be like nobody actually had any idea what they were doing

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

docbeard posted:

this is the thing that the clinton campaigned should be loving hammered on. i thought trump was being lazy flying back home every night to trump tower, but clinton was doing the same

the postfact bullshit that trump could get away with, on the other hand, is not an option for us. we can stretch the truth, we cant ignore it

what should have happened was a win in spite of postfact nonsense, not because of it

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Phobophilia posted:

this is the thing that the clinton campaigned should be loving hammered on. i thought trump was being lazy flying back home every night to trump tower, but clinton was doing the same

the postfact bullshit that trump could get away with, on the other hand, is not an option for us. we can stretch the truth, we cant ignore it

what should have happened was a win in spite of postfact nonsense, not because of it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trLbb0Ucyy4&t=36s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Yinlock posted:

otherwise, it would be like nobody actually had any idea what they were doing

Their computer told them to do that because it ran a flawed algorithm.

This is the documented truth.

• Locked thread