Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help
I don't think it's as straightforwardly pop-fantasy as that, this is Bakker, he has something way more hosed up in mind.

Someone explain the helicopter thing to me because I've heard it a dozen times in this thread and I don't get the meme

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

The No-God appears in a whirlwind and Bakker does this thing where the POV obliquely describes an Inchoroi technological device he does not understand (like the elevator in Golgoterrath or the Heron Spear which is apparently not a spear but some kind of beam weapon).

So some made the whirlwind - helicopter connection. I don't think there's more to it.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Kuiperdolin posted:

The No-God appears in a whirlwind and Bakker does this thing where the POV obliquely describes an Inchoroi technological device he does not understand (like the elevator in Golgoterrath or the Heron Spear which is apparently not a spear but some kind of beam weapon).

So some made the whirlwind - helicopter connection. I don't think there's more to it.

I've read the whirlwind-descriptions and this is quite obviously not caused by a helicopter.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

it's definitely a helicopter

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
To even think of a helicopter in connection to this, you must be the stupidest human being alive.

I'm sorry to be so harsh, but that's literally the first thought popping into my head when I read this.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Libluini posted:

I've read the whirlwind-descriptions and this is quite obviously not caused by a helicopter.

Maybe a F-35B? :v:

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Libluini posted:

To even think of a helicopter in connection to this, you must be the stupidest human being alive.

I'm sorry to be so harsh, but that's literally the first thought popping into my head when I read this.
it's a really big rape helicopter. The Inchoroi have those.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Also, the Heron Spear appears to emit a beam to the Ëarwans, but it's actually a projectile weapon, and the beam is the afterimage of the rocket trail. Probably some kind of advanced MANPADS.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Kellhus' glowing hands are because he's holding signal flares. This is extremely obvious.

turntabler
Sep 10, 2011

Kuiperdolin posted:

Metal sarcophagus with 11 chorae that flies around inside a whirlwind I think.... although I just picture the sarcophagus as a metal casket with a weird face.

It's cool in books like these when the explanation turns out to be something you never could of imagined, but still makes sense within the rules of the world. Hopefully it's that. Hopefully it actually gets explained and isn't just some vague metaphysical concept/not explained till the final trilogy.

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

So I just got this thing and finished it in a few days. The ending just left me wanting more, but I know that some real bad poo poo is going to go down in The Unholy Consult. Is anyone else excited about the last remaining Tall leading what's left of the Nonmen to a glorious death against the vile? Maybe some Wracu will show up too.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
That reminds me, did we have any hints about the existence of the Tall before this book? I remember loads of nonman heroes wrestling dragons and poo poo, but I don't remember any hints that they were literally Very Large Nonmans

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

General Battuta posted:

That reminds me, did we have any hints about the existence of the Tall before this book? I remember loads of nonman heroes wrestling dragons and poo poo, but I don't remember any hints that they were literally Very Large Nonmans

None whatsoever.

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

It first appeared in The Four Revelations of Cinial'jin. This is the first time it was mentioned in one of the main books though.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

General Battuta posted:

No, it's like they just suddenly climbed out of a whale mother's vagina.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Wasn't there something in the TTT appendix? One of the Nonman heroes wrestling the named dragon? Turns out that was meant literally.

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

It was never explained why they're taller, was it?

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

A diet of blackseed shakes and raw sranc.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
I have put off reading Great Ordeal due to being busy, but with winter I now have time. At only 142 pages, my reaction so far is :asoiaf:.

Mainly because Bakker has really turned the prose up to 11 this time around. For example: "If they responded to hails at all, it would be to look through their interrogator, into whatever deeps and distances that had made slack rope of their souls."

Also the entire passage describing the exterior of Ishterebinth.

This author was gifted an unnatural way with words.

Rime fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Dec 2, 2016

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

I like when he described that one old nonman's jowls as "scrotal"

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Rime posted:

The ground pitched a chapped marmoreal rind

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Rime posted:

Mainly because Bakker has really turned the prose up to 11 this time around. For example: "If they responded to hails at all, it would be to look through their interrogator, into whatever deeps and distances that had made slack rope of their souls."

That sounds bad and stupid.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007

A human heart posted:

That sounds bad and stupid.

truly, you have mastered the darkness that comes before shitposting

I listened to the TGO audiobook and, wow, it makes a huge difference in my ability to remember some of the more elaborate names. I suck at theorizing, but I'm starting to get the itching suspicion that mr bakker is going to force me to feel sympathy for the no-god. Like, if it really exists outside of the sight of the gods, and is not a part of the all-encompassing thing that is the one god (I'm shaky on the metaphysics of the series), how does it perceive its own existence? From its perspective, what would it be like to be both within and apart from the world/the outside? I'm not phrasing this well, but those were the wonderings happening in my head as I finished the book. I'm also very curious what Mimara's judging eye would see, though obviously that's probably going to come up in the finale. I like the theory that it's some sort of AI or pseudo-AI, though its way of speaking through the Consult's minions is eerily similar to Kellhus's manifestation of the thousandfold thought.

Anyway, clumsy spitballing aside, I had a blast with this book. I was mad when it was over.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Rime posted:

well, it's certainly unnatural.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

General Battuta posted:

The ground pitched a chapped marmoreal rind

A preternatural cataract of chortles.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
I got a request to rename this thread but I never read this thread or these books. Suggestions?

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Not sure what the title should be, but "religion" or "fantasy" would be good thread tags.

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I got a request to rename this thread but I never read this thread or these books. Suggestions?

Strom Cuzewon posted:

A preternatural cataract of chortles.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Both that and "The ground pitched a chapped marmoreal rind" are good. I vote chortles, as well.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
I was really down for "digging holes in the ground and loving them". :shrug:

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Rime posted:

I was really down for "digging holes in the ground and loving them". :shrug:

An Unnatural Way With Holes

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

An Unnatural Way With Holes

Death came swirling down?

Something something glistening?

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

There is a head on a pole behind you.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I post in a conditionned thread.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Cnaiur <3 Kellhus

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

You should send it to the gas chamber instead.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

One more for chortles

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

The Thousandfold Fart.

Also change the tag to religion.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Was the request someone fed up with seeing BLACK DEMON SEED next to their wizard books, or someone from this thread who thought we'd get more readers if we re-branded?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

If we're rebranding, we should go with "now with less demon seed"