Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK

fruit on the bottom posted:

Turns out this song was considerably less creepy in its original context, performed between the songwriter and his wife at their holiday parties to let people know the party was ending.

The song plays much differently when the subtext is that both of them actually do want to gently caress.

A song that's basically a big list of reasons not to leave seems like an odd choice to let people know its time to go home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Hardcordion posted:

A song that's basically a big list of reasons not to leave seems like an odd choice to let people know its time to go home.

The people singing it are going to gently caress, so all their friends have to leave.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Turns out this song was considerably less creepy in its original context, performed between the songwriter and his wife at their holiday parties to let people know the party was ending.

The song plays much differently when the subtext is that both of them actually do want to gently caress.
In that context it makes no sense at all. Why would either of them be leaving?

the future is WOW
Sep 9, 2005

I QUIT!
As mentioned before, it was a fun way of saying it's time for everyone to leave. It also avoids the risk of looking rude by bluntly saying "the party's over, you don't have to go home but you can't stay here!"

doodlebugs
Feb 18, 2015

by Lowtax
No one knows what causes gravity.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

doodlebugs posted:

Actually its graves. We had to stop making new graveyards here because the gravity was becoming too big.

doodlebugs
Feb 18, 2015

by Lowtax

Powaqoatse posted:

Actually its graves. We had to stop making new graveyards here because the gravity was becoming too big.

thats an interesting theory but I'm not convinced.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

doodlebugs posted:

Now, I'm no big city lawyer, but I always thought it was caused by atoms sticking together in large enough quantities to distort the space-time continuum.

doodlebugs
Feb 18, 2015

by Lowtax

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

Now, I'm no big city lawyer, but I always thought it was caused by atoms sticking together in large enough quantities to distort the space-time continuum.

that just bullshit!! gently caress you!!

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

doodlebugs posted:

Nobody knows what causes anything...

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

...but this is a good explanation that fits all observed evidence, so it is our current "best fit" for the truth. And that's how Science works.

doodlebugs
Feb 18, 2015

by Lowtax

Hyperlynx posted:

...but this is a good explanation that fits all observed evidence, so it is our current "best fit" for the truth. And that's how Science works.

I think smart man Steven Hawking knows!!! or maybe not?

He probably has to work on his gravity theories a lot more

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Hawking is too busy working on his rocket wheelchair to worry about gravity.

doodlebugs
Feb 18, 2015

by Lowtax

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

maybe he will invent antigravity and we all have anti gravity chairs

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Hyperlynx posted:

But, like, nobody really knows, maaan. :okpos:

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

Oh poo poo, I just found out that "don our gay apparel" isn't some sly reference put into the song by the Gay Agenda™

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Hyperlynx posted:

Don't bodies of masses release gravitons or something

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Tiggum posted:

In that context it makes no sense at all. Why would either of them be leaving?

Sometimes people in committed relationships pretend to be other people or have a different relationship to spice things up. Like they're playing some kind of role or something.

Pretty hosed up but there you go.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

Ironically for someone that relies on it so heavily, Stephen Hawking hates technology. It's why he still has a computer voice box that sounds like it's from the early 90s, he refuses to accept a new one.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Memento posted:

Ironically for someone that relies on it so heavily, Stephen Hawking hates technology. It's why he still has a computer voice box that sounds like it's from the early 90s, he refuses to accept a new one.

His maid or whatever should just change it to a current model. What's he going to do about it?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Sometimes people in committed relationships pretend to be other people or have a different relationship to spice things up. Like they're playing some kind of role or something.

Pretty hosed up but there you go.

Not sure I wanna go to a Christmas rapeplay party tho

Maybe that's just me

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Memento posted:

Hates technology or doesn't want to change his voice?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Yeah, I thought he upgrades the computer and interaction system, but keeps the voice because it's him.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
I'm not handling the knowledge that Rooney Mara and Kate Mara are sisters well. How did this never occur to me before?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Shneak posted:

I'm not handling the knowledge that Rooney Mara and Kate Mara are sisters well. How did this never occur to me before?

They're also both Rooney Mara. That's their last name(s).

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Their brother Benedict Rooney Mara is having a hard time, by the way.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

To wind up the "Baby It's Cold Outside" conversation, there's a new version that "emphasizes the importance of consent".

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Hirayuki posted:

To wind up the "Baby It's Cold Outside" conversation, there's a new version that "emphasizes the importance of consent".

:rolleyes:

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Well it is an incredibly skeevy song. Like it's literally date_rape.mp3 and not even the Sublime version where the dude goes to jail at the end.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

These two peoples' shoehorning in 'consent!!!!' for relevance because they're nobody artists desperate for attenion is cringeworthy, but the song itself is pretty disgusting, and talking about consent is cool and good.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

purple death ray posted:

Well it is an incredibly skeevy song. Like it's literally date_rape.mp3 and not even the Sublime version where the dude goes to jail at the end.

I'm not saying it isn't. Hell, I'm the one that brought the song up for the creep factor in the first place.

I'm rolling my eyes at their smug self-importance.

the future is WOW
Sep 9, 2005

I QUIT!
Yeah, the lyrics sound skeevy when divorced from all context and authorial intent but if you actually look at it in light of the writer's intentions (as well as the time in which it was written) it becomes a lot less sinister.

quote:

The lyrics in this duet are designed to be heard as a conversation between two people, identified as "mouse" and "wolf" on the printed score; they have returned to the wolf's home after a date, and the mouse decides it is time to go home, but the wolf flirtatiously invites the mouse to stay as it is late and "it's cold outside." The mouse wants to stay and enjoy herself, but feels obligated to return home, worried what family and neighbors will think if she stays.

In this context it's not skeevy at all, just a playful back and forth between two people who both want the same thing. He's not pressuring her to stay against her will, she wants to spend the night with him. But she also feels social pressure to maintain propriety, so he's making up excuses for her to use in order to disregard the demands of said pressure and do what she wants to do. The song was written in 1944, as a young single woman at that time if you were gonna spend the night with someone you weren't married to then you better have had a good excuse for your parents as to why you didn't come home.

If knowing all that you still think the song is skeevy and sounds like a rape in progress then I don't know what to tell you.

CleverHans
Apr 25, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Yeah, I thought he upgrades the computer and interaction system, but keeps the voice because it's him.

Would be a sick April Fools joke if somebody switched it on him right before a lecture and the attendees were treated to a very breathy, Marilyn Monroe "Happy Birthday Mr. President" version of the quantum physics symposium they were expecting.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

the future is WOW posted:

Yeah, the lyrics sound skeevy when divorced from all context and authorial intent but if you actually look at it in light of the writer's intentions (as well as the time in which it was written) it becomes a lot less sinister.

In this context it's not skeevy at all, just a playful back and forth between two people who both want the same thing. He's not pressuring her to stay against her will, she wants to spend the night with him. But she also feels social pressure to maintain propriety, so he's making up excuses for her to use in order to disregard the demands of said pressure and do what she wants to do. The song was written in 1944, as a young single woman at that time if you were gonna spend the night with someone you weren't married to then you better have had a good excuse for your parents as to why you didn't come home.

If knowing all that you still think the song is skeevy and sounds like a rape in progress then I don't know what to tell you.

Whoa, media from almost 100 years ago sounds different in the cultural context of today's modern listener and the changed meaning might now seem offensive?!?!

Don't burn yourself on this hot take, bro.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Ok so it's not skeevy at all it's that the man is a literal predator and the woman is his prey. Nah that seems fine.

Sorry it's not 1944 anymore and that poo poo sounds rapey as hell now. It's cool that Wikipedia says it's consensual but none of that is in the actual song.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007
If only they'd made a snowman to marry them, it would be a holy union consecrated in the eyes of God and man.

the future is WOW
Sep 9, 2005

I QUIT!

Captain Monkey posted:

Whoa, media from almost 100 years ago sounds different in the cultural context of today's modern listener and the changed meaning might now seem offensive?!?!

It's more that having a knee jerk response to song lyrics from 70 years ago because you can't be bothered to look up a little background on them is ridiculous.

But you rock on being the complete retard that you are, bro.

E:

purple death ray posted:

Ok so it's not skeevy at all it's that the man is a literal predator and the woman is his prey. Nah that seems fine.

Sorry it's not 1944 anymore and that poo poo sounds rapey as hell now. It's cool that Wikipedia says it's consensual but none of that is in the actual song.

If you need all possible themes of a song to be explicitly stated in the lyrics then I don't know what to tell you. Sometimes it's important to take a songwriter's intentions into account when interpreting a piece of music.

And yes, it was easier to use wikipedia's explanation since I can't find my copy of Loesser's biography at the moment and it's been a while since I read it.

the future is WOW has a new favorite as of 20:43 on Dec 3, 2016

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I am the most offended, double stamp no erasies.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

the future is WOW posted:

But you rock being the complete retard that you are, bro.

thanks, i trust your expert opinion on the subject

vvv well, you tried.

Yngwie Mangosteen has a new favorite as of 21:02 on Dec 3, 2016

the future is WOW
Sep 9, 2005

I QUIT!

Captain Monkey posted:

thanks, i trust your expert opinion on the subject

You're welcome. It's an impressive achievement given your condition, so I'm happy to give credit where it's due.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Captain Monkey posted:

I think it's more that a lot of people are ignoring that as originally written and performed (by the songwriter and his wife no less, if you want to really establish intent) she absolutely does want to stay and is looking for a pretext to do so, social norms considered.

Changing social norms are one thing certainly, but there seems to be this push that the song was about date rape even then and we just didn't recognize it as such, which is not really true.

The song is dated, but that doesn't mean that consensual sex didn't exist in the past.