Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night
I have a frozen duck.. plan on making it this Sunday. How do I cook a duck.

I was thinking just oil the skin, salt/pepper outside and throw it in the oven until done..suggestions?

e: I would prefer a more savory taste and not a sweet which I see often suggested with duck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

glynnenstein posted:

Was he trying to test color preference or taste? If all he cares about is the taste preference removing color as a variable by using an unrelated appearance makes perfect sense to me.
It makes perfect sense if you assume that taste perception has nothing to do with any of your other senses, which is something his own data contradicts. And even if you want to ignore that, eliminating colour as a variable isn't what his experimental design does. It in fact introduces an additional variable, as he chooses to make the choices indistinguishable making them all resemble something new.

If instead of colour the thing that was readily distinguishable was odor, and he tried to control for this by making the choices indistinguishable by making them all smell like farts, a lack of subsequent preference among the samples couldn't be attributed to eliminating smell as a variable.

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?

hogmartin posted:

Fried rice is prepared in basically every country throughout east Asia and the Pacific, so there's no "one true" recipe. Pretty much anything you want to add is fine. Just throwing out some I've seen:

Cheers I'll try it for 12 hours this time, I've only been leaving it for 5 or 6.

I think I need to add at least salt as well.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Polish posted:

I have a frozen duck.. plan on making it this Sunday. How do I cook a duck.

I was thinking just oil the skin, salt/pepper outside and throw it in the oven until done..suggestions?

e: I would prefer a more savory taste and not a sweet which I see often suggested with duck.

break it down, confit the legs, breasts with skin on the stovetop until skin/fat renders, flip for 30 seconds.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

SubG posted:

It makes perfect sense if you assume that taste perception has nothing to do with any of your other senses, which is something his own data contradicts. And even if you want to ignore that, eliminating colour as a variable isn't what his experimental design does. It in fact introduces an additional variable, as he chooses to make the choices indistinguishable making them all resemble something new.

If instead of colour the thing that was readily distinguishable was odor, and he tried to control for this by making the choices indistinguishable by making them all smell like farts, a lack of subsequent preference among the samples couldn't be attributed to eliminating smell as a variable.
I would rather have blindfolded them than dyed the eggs. But it's not a lack of preference, it's preference for the other option. And eggs are often used in invisible applications. And green food is hopefully normal, unlike poo poo and farts.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Anne Whateley posted:

I would rather have blindfolded them than dyed the eggs. But it's not a lack of preference, it's preference for the other option.
No. Without tampering there was a clear preference (half the testers preferred the eggs from pastured chickens). After dying there was no preference (`this time, there was no clear winner, and no discernible trends based on how the eggs were produced or levels of omega-3s'). Dying did not result in preference for a different option. In fact the only definite preference Kenji mentions is one tester (12.5% of the results in this case) who picked the same choice both times, which he then discounts as statistical anomaly and runs an additional test intentionally designed to mislead the testers (`I may or may not have even implied that I was purposely trying to trick them as I served them the eggs').

I mean this is all fine as silly food blog nonsense, but it's terrible, terrible experimental design (even from a lol fuckaround standpoint it could have been done much better without much additional overhead) and it offers no basis for concluding that all eggs taste the same. Because even though it isn't well-designed enough to allow us to conclude anything based on the results, if we care about the results at all they actually literally imply exactly the opposite conclusion.

Anne Whateley posted:

And eggs are often used in invisible applications. And green food is hopefully normal, unlike poo poo and farts.
This looks disingenuous. The natural colour of lettuce might be appetising on lettuce but stomach-churning on milk and it's silly to equivocate between the two, particularly in light of the fact that the thing he's ostensibly trying to control for in the first place is colour preference. I mean it might be the case that people actually don't have a preference one way or the other about green eggs but I don't think that goes without saying and, it's worth pointing out again, it is literally contradicted by the data.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

have we referenced that whole study about dyeing otherwise normal food blue and people vomiting in response yet

i can't find the drat thing

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Hauki posted:

have we referenced that whole study about dyeing otherwise normal food blue and people vomiting in response yet

i can't find the drat thing
I'm not familiar with that particular study, but it's probably not blue food in general but blue something-or-other in particular. If you look at the data on how colour influences flavour perception in the abstract it's all over the place, but there are a lot of identifiable associations in particular contexts. So if you're testing with a bunch of coloured water solutions (like this study) you might find that green is associated with increased sensitivity to sweetness, but with orange juice (as in this study) green is associated with increased sensitivity to sourness.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

emotive posted:

What's the deal with boiling kombu broths? Most recipes I see tell you to pull out the kombu before it boils because it can make the broth bitter and slimy, but Kenji from Serious Eats has a bunch of recipes that tell you to bring it and everything else to a boil and then simmer away.

I've seen a huge range of opinions from Japanese chefs, there doesn't seem to be agreement. When I make dashi I soak the kombu in the pot about half an hour, then bring it to a bare simmer and let it go ten minutes or so. Turn off the heat, remove the kombu, and dump in katsuobushi or dried anchovies depending on if I'm doing Japanese or Korean. Let it steep ten minutes, strain. Works well for me.

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

Grand Fromage posted:

I've seen a huge range of opinions from Japanese chefs, there doesn't seem to be agreement. When I make dashi I soak the kombu in the pot about half an hour, then bring it to a bare simmer and let it go ten minutes or so. Turn off the heat, remove the kombu, and dump in katsuobushi or dried anchovies depending on if I'm doing Japanese or Korean. Let it steep ten minutes, strain. Works well for me.

Yeah, I asked elsewhere also and everyone had their own methods... general agreement was to never boil; either soak overnight and pull it out before heating, or bring it to a simmer, let sit for a few minutes and pull it out.

I'm vegetarian so I'd be using dried mushrooms; I was thinking of making some shiitake powder to use instead of soaking whole mushrooms. I think this is what David Chang does in the Momofuku ramen broth.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty
I'm in the UK and my friend from the US and I exchange Christmas packages with stuff in that's hard/impossible to get in the other's country. This year she's requested some cured meats, and I wanted some advice on stuff that would survive being posted. I'm thinking salamis that are whole, rather than pre-sliced, but that'll add a lot to the package weight so I won't be able to send as much. Any ideas? Is granting her wish just wishful thinking?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

emotive posted:

Yeah, I asked elsewhere also and everyone had their own methods... general agreement was to never boil; either soak overnight and pull it out before heating, or bring it to a simmer, let sit for a few minutes and pull it out.

I haven't noticed any real difference if it does go to a boil though. Keep in mind that Japanese cooking has this weird mysticism around a lot of it with "you must do this exactly this way!" in everything and it takes three years to learn to cook rice and whatever. Some of it matters but the reality is a lot of that is just traditional folk wisdom stuff that's passed down without any kind of critical analysis/testing and isn't actually important. It's way more meticulous than it needs to be in many cases.

Make some kombu only dashi with the soak only, the soak then simmer, and soak then boil and taste 'em. If you can't taste a difference, don't worry about it.

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.
Braising some chicken legs, worth brining the legs beforehand or would that be an unnecessary step?

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

Grand Fromage posted:

Make some kombu only dashi with the soak only, the soak then simmer, and soak then boil and taste 'em. If you can't taste a difference, don't worry about it.

Just make sure it's a double blind test, with no food coloring involved.

FaradayCage
May 2, 2010
Does anyone know what kind of chile Gordon Ramsay is always using in his videos? See here for example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orc_y7aYqv8&t=20s

I've only found it once in a mixed package before. Have never seen them loose in a grocery store (United States).

99% certain they are not fresno, thai, cayenne, or red serranos.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
I don't really know how anyone can tell for sure just by looking but it looks like a bird's eye chili to me

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
It looks like the bog standard, red chili that you can buy everywhere in the Netherlands. I've had no luck finding out what the actual name of the thing is though, the Dutch just call them "Hot Peppers".

Gerblyn fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Dec 2, 2016

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

Paperhouse posted:

I don't really know how anyone can tell for sure just by looking but it looks like a bird's eye chili to me

It's way too big for a bird's eye chile.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
Best I can do:

http://www.ah.nl/producten/product/wi387770/ah-rode-peper

It's the right size, shape and the top where the green part meets the fruit looks the same.

The description just says:

Red Pepper, also known as Spanish Pepper, is a collective name for the well known, long, red chilli pepper.

FaradayCage
May 2, 2010

Gerblyn posted:

It looks like the bog standard, red chili that you can buy everywhere in the Netherlands. I've had no luck finding out what the actual name of the thing is though, the Dutch just call them "Hot Peppers".

That info and a little google-fu confirms they are most likely "Holland chiles" (also called "Dutch chiles"). Go figure.

I guess the southwestern chiles dominate too much space in the megamart to make room for the Euro-chiles.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Yeah, you also see them sold as Lombok, which is an indonesian chilli.

e: You should be able to sub in cayenne peppers, I think Dutch red, lombok and cayenne are all pretty much the same thing.

spankmeister fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Dec 2, 2016

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

lifts cats over head posted:

Braising some chicken legs, worth brining the legs beforehand or would that be an unnecessary step?

Unnecessary.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
Can I do anything with the spare pieces from a 12lb turkey? They are already cooked, can I make a stock or somethin?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

goodness posted:

Can I do anything with the spare pieces from a 12lb turkey? They are already cooked, can I make a stock or somethin?

Absolutely. Put em all in a big pot with some celery, carrots, onion, peppercorns, maybe a couple bay leafs, cover it with water and bring it to a simmer for several hours. Strain, chill, scrape the fat off, reduce it to concentrate the flavor if you want, and enjoy your stock.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Absolutely. Put em all in a big pot with some celery, carrots, onion, peppercorns, maybe a couple bay leafs, cover it with water and bring it to a simmer for several hours. Strain, chill, scrape the fat off, reduce it to concentrate the flavor if you want, and enjoy your stock.

Always reduce IMO. Once the solids are out, the flavor isn't going to change much, and nothing will burn - so make it as concentrated as you possibly can. I have a few Mason jars full of turkey stock that's like jello at room temperature. It makes anything taste like turkey - and thanksgiving leftovers make a really good jook. Crispy turkey skin, turkey meat, crisped up stuffing, cranberry sauce, whatever else, all on a bowl of turkey rice porridge... yes.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Got some amaaaaazing short ribs braising. Never braised before. Seems like there is some conflict re: taking the cover off towards the end while still in the oven vs not. I intend on broiling these puppies to finish, should I pull the lid at any time or just leave it alone?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Rurutia posted:

It's way too big for a bird's eye chile.
Absolutely. It's also pretty unlikely that it's a Dutch Red/Holland, although it's certainly some kind of C. annuum variety and from context it's probably one of the mild cayenne varieties known in Britian generically as `red chillies'. So Dutch Reds would probably be a pretty straight sub, but it's unlikely that they're the exact cultivar he's using.

copen
Feb 2, 2003

revmoo posted:

Got some amaaaaazing short ribs braising. Never braised before. Seems like there is some conflict re: taking the cover off towards the end while still in the oven vs not. I intend on broiling these puppies to finish, should I pull the lid at any time or just leave it alone?

I just braised some short ribs last night. Usually I leave the cover on the whole time. This time I left a good gap when putting it on for the last 30-60 minutes to let the cooking liquid evaporate and reduce some. This made a nice sauce I could spoon over my ribs and polenta afterwards. Would recommend

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

revmoo posted:

leave it alone.

what are you doing with them afterwards?

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

JawKnee posted:

leave it alone.

what are you doing with them afterwards?

Just going to serve them with broccoli and mashed 'taters. Maybe reduce the sauce down... dunno

copen
Feb 2, 2003
Can also strain the cooking liquid, make a roux and add the liquid for some good brown gravy for the taters. Braising is fun and it is hard to come up with a bad result. So just follow your heart.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Nabokoffin posted:

Can also strain the cooking liquid, make a roux and add the liquid for some good brown gravy for the taters. Braising is fun and it is hard to come up with a bad result. So just follow your heart.

10-4 :D

LongSack
Jan 17, 2003

I'm looking for a good recipe for mixed vegetables. I'm having friends over for dinner next weekend, and I have 4 menu options (haddock, ham, roast beef, or beef stew) and for each I have the protein and a starch picked out, and a salad. For all but the stew I need a veg side (the stew basically has the veg inside already).

So I'm hoping to come up with a single recipe that'll work with all of the dishes, and google had been surprisingly unhelpful (I did find this which is on the list of possibilities).

Some parameters: no potatoes, I already have a starch, and it needs to be made on the stovetop since the oven is occupied already.

Ideas? Thanks in advance.

Edit: I'm in Tennessee, so it needs to be made with stuff readily available at my local Publix.

LongSack fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Dec 3, 2016

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Glazed carrots! Don't need anything else

LongSack
Jan 17, 2003

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

Glazed carrots! Don't need anything else

Simple, tasty. Thanks!

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
GUys, are you supposed to cook the meat filling before putting it into dumplings/pot stickers?

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
No, at least not the kinds that I've made/seen made.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
A lot of American recipes, especially those on Serious Eats (like this one), ask for Kosher Salt. This is Salt without Iodine, right? Is there any particular reason for this, like flavor or something?

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Gerblyn posted:

A lot of American recipes, especially those on Serious Eats (like this one), ask for Kosher Salt. This is Salt without Iodine, right? Is there any particular reason for this, like flavor or something?
It's salt in a certain shape (more info here). The reason is because it takes up a certain amount of volume, so if you used normal table salt you'd be adding more salt. Aside from that there's no reason to use kosher salt over non-iodized salt, or, if can't taste the iodine, over iodized salt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

Gerblyn posted:

Sometimes it's for flavor, sometimes it's for texture. Kosher salt has larger grains and it's easier to add by hand and still know how much you're adding. Some chefs also get all serious about only ever using kosher salt because it's just pure salt with nothing added, but for things like baking and putting in a shaker on the table, iodized is fine. It would probably be fine in that sauce too.