Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

larchesdanrew posted:

Precisely. Also that post/username combo

I aim to please.

Thankfully, the bar is very low.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

larchesdanrew posted:

So here I am, on the other side of that equation. I'm now the viewer whose life may very well depend on being able to watch the storm coverage. Not only my life, but the lives of my two children sleeping blissfully unaware in the next room. They rely on me to take care of them and my ability to do that right now lies in the hands of a man who very honestly could not give less of a poo poo if every single person on this earth perished so long as it doesn't interfere with him being able to watch some piece of dogshit on Hulu.

That's a little dramatic. If a local news station failing to provide an internet stream means putting your children's lives at risk, BUY A drat WEATHER RADIO and listen to the NOAA alerts! They cost :10bux: and you'll get information much quicker than any TV station can provide. Hell, get a FM radio and tune to any station near you.

Also, does your town not have tornado sirens? There is absolutely no reason a tornado should take you by surprise just because your internet stream is 5 minutes behind. Act more responsibly about severe weather, Christ.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Yeah definitely get a cheap radio with the weather band on it. They make them so they'll even activate a high-volume alarm when a warning comes in encoded for your county.

The Midland WR120 is highly recommended and can even display the type of warning on its screen when the alarm activates. Everyone should have them: https://www.amazon.com/Midland-WR120EZ-Weather-Certified-Trilingual/dp/B00176T9OY $26 right now.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive
I use an app (NOAA Radar Pro) that sends out push alerts whenever a weather alert comes in. Pretty sure my scanner can do weather alerts as well.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

wa27 posted:

That's a little dramatic. If a local news station failing to provide an internet stream means putting your children's lives at risk, BUY A drat WEATHER RADIO and listen to the NOAA alerts! They cost :10bux: and you'll get information much quicker than any TV station can provide. Hell, get a FM radio and tune to any station near you.

Also, does your town not have tornado sirens? There is absolutely no reason a tornado should take you by surprise just because your internet stream is 5 minutes behind. Act more responsibly about severe weather, Christ.

I don't know about down in Mississippi, but up here in Iowa the "tornado sirens" have been changed to just be "severe storm sirens", so now they mean jack poo poo because they go off any time a storm is bad enough.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Khisanth Magus posted:

I don't know about down in Mississippi, but up here in Iowa the "tornado sirens" have been changed to just be "severe storm sirens", so now they mean jack poo poo because they go off any time a storm is bad enough.

Reminds me of this:

Orange Alert Sirens To Blow 24 Hours A Day In Major Cities

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

We jumped on Teams the day it rolled out, and it's fantastic. It's like the persistent chatrooms that we wanted at my old job but with AD creds and document uploading too. I like it a lot.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

Khisanth Magus posted:

Basically this. The county I'm in comprises four different cities and the sirens are set to go off county wide. Tornado, thunder, strong winds, whatever, sirens are going off constantly so they're hard to take seriously. There's also the fact that if a tornado is spotted in city A, cities B, C, and D are also alerted. It's up to the meteorologist to tell me which city gave out the warning and if I should get to my safe zone and prepare to meet my maker or if the 'nado is gonna be 30 miles north of me.

I know I can get an app or weather radio, but being in a tornado warning versus there actually being a tornado within striking distance are two different things. Down here, from November to May, we're pretty much under constant tornado watches that shift to warnings with nothing to show for them. If I jumped in my shelter every time there was a warning, I'd just be living in there 6 months out of the year.

But this lovely derail's gone on long enough. Go back to ticket bitching.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Teams is bad, its skype for business which is lync with a new skin. The only good thing is that you can join an ongoing call as opposed to having to be invited.

The convos are threaded which is annoying.

And it doesn't let you add custom emojis and reactions like slack which is the biggest problem I have with it. Oh, and that it doesn't auto embed image links.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

kensei posted:

We jumped on Teams the day it rolled out, and it's fantastic. It's like the persistent chatrooms that we wanted at my old job but with AD creds and document uploading too. I like it a lot.

We've been using Hipchat to do exactly this for years. We can even use AD creds, through our SSO service.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

KoRMaK posted:

Teams is bad, its skype for business which is lync with a new skin. The only good thing is that you can join an ongoing call as opposed to having to be invited.

The convos are threaded which is annoying.

And it doesn't let you add custom emojis and reactions like slack which is the biggest problem I have with it. Oh, and that it doesn't auto embed image links.

You can link OneDrive documents in chat, but not in the file tab.

New conversations in a channel don't trigger notifications.

Private message integration with skype is unreliable.

Integrations with other o365 products range from poorly thought out to barely working.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

All the new Office 365 stuff seems to revolve around 'Groups' which are a sure-fire way to spray a ton of poo poo all over your directory. Just because you're in a Team doesn't mean you now need to have it show up in Outlook.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

The Fool posted:

You can link OneDrive documents in chat, but not in the file tab.

New conversations in a channel don't trigger notifications.

Private message integration with skype is unreliable.

Integrations with other o365 products range from poorly thought out to barely working.
Documents in the Files tab are literally on OneDrive. They exist in that Team's OneDrive, you can see them if you go to https://tenantname.sharepoint.com/sites/teamname/Shared Documents/channelname. And Skype for Business has never, ever played nice once you have more than one client, whether that other client is on your phone or on another computer or on the web.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

I know no one product makes everyone happy, but Teams works well for us here. YMMV.

Thanks Ants posted:

All the new Office 365 stuff seems to revolve around 'Groups' which are a sure-fire way to spray a ton of poo poo all over your directory. Just because you're in a Team doesn't mean you now need to have it show up in Outlook.

I posted somewhere how to hide them from the GAL via PowerShell, it's pretty simple.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

kensei posted:

I know no one product makes everyone happy, but Teams works well for us here. YMMV.

I posted somewhere how to hide them from the GAL via PowerShell, it's pretty simple.
It's like Set-UnifiedGroup -Identity [name] -HideFromAddressList:$true, or something like that. After you connect to Exchange Online, of course.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

anthonypants posted:

Documents in the Files tab are literally on OneDrive. They exist in that Team's OneDrive, you can see them if you go to https://tenantname.sharepoint.com/sites/teamname/Shared Documents/channelname. And Skype for Business has never, ever played nice once you have more than one client, whether that other client is on your phone or on another computer or on the web.

It's all already in sharepoint, which is kinda why it annoys me so much. It's a UI consistency problem, since when you link a file in chat, it shows up in the channels file list anyway.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Hi, maybe read what Larches says before doing this.

I read what he said, My thoughts are that there are other ways to get the information (radio?). I'm not intending to be snarky.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

More on-topic:
http://www.clickhole.com/article/finally-theyre-replacing-tornado-siren-ballad-call-4301

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Goddamn. I'm rarely out Onioned, but you did it.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

porktree posted:

I read what he said, My thoughts are that there are other ways to get the information (radio?). I'm not intending to be snarky.

Yea that and there's no way that drat TV station could properly report the weather if the tornado politely knocked on the front door to give its plans, you know?

One of the four "cities" around has to have local weather stuff in emergency, and no reliance on Internet access that a bad storm can knock out.

All the rest of ya should have a Weather Band radio too though.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

anthonypants posted:

It's like Set-UnifiedGroup -Identity [name] -HideFromAddressList:$true, or something like that. After you connect to Exchange Online, of course.

Yeah this was what I used:

code:
$UserCredential = Get-Credential

$Session = New-PSSession -ConfigurationName Microsoft.Exchange -ConnectionUri [url]https://outlook.office365.com/powershell-liveid/[/url] -Credential $UserCredential -Authentication Basic -AllowRedirection

Import-PSSession $Session

Set-UnifiedGroup -Identity [teamname] -HiddenFromAddressListsEnabled $true

{wash/rinse/repeat as needed for added teamnames}

{to check}

Get-UnifiedGroup -Identity [teamname] | Format-List hid*

{should return}

HiddenGroupMembershipEnabled : False
HiddenFromAddressListsEnabled : True

{remember to exit the PS session!}

Remove-PSSession $Session

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?
A Grenade rolled in under my desk...

Edit: Part owner of my company thought it would be funny to roll a decommissioned grenade under my desk.

QuiteEasilyDone fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Dec 1, 2016

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer

QuiteEasilyDone posted:

RE: A Grenade rolled under my desk... have you tried un-exploding and exploding it again?

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

QuiteEasilyDone posted:

Edit: Part owner of my company thought it would be funny to roll a decommissioned grenade under my desk.

Sue for mental damages

seadweller
Mar 30, 2010

QuiteEasilyDone posted:

:ughh:

Surely the very definition of "creating a hostile work environment". Paging solicitors to the thread.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

We have decommissioned grenades at our office too.

Our office is next to a County Judicial office and across the street is the justice center lol.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009
Grenade under the desk is a test.

They want to see how fast it comes back their way.

That's how I'll treat it, anyway.

edited for bad typoing

Zamboni Apocalypse fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Dec 1, 2016

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
My boss apparently popped a blood vessel in his eye yesterday, and is getting a procedure today. I of course took it upon myself to spend all day at the colo moving our backup server there and reconfiguring Veeam.

MisterZimbu
Mar 13, 2006

Migishu posted:

RE: A Grenade rolled under my desk... have you tried un-exploding and exploding it again?

Have you tried taking the pin out and putting it bac--

Doccers
Aug 15, 2000

Patron Saint of Chickencheese

larchesdanrew posted:

Precisely. Also that post/username combo

I know someone who was in that field (broadcast engineer) and apparently that's really not terribly uncommon.

this was a few years ago, right before the digital switch, but one of the major Denver stations had a transmitter up on lookout mountain that you couldn't get parts for, it all had to be made in-house or custom wound. They had to go up there one night during chinook season to replace something that was in danger of failing, and climb up a tower in 40mph gusting winds.

I'll have to ask them for more stories...

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

God drat every time I get dragged into an issue that involves something visible to end-users it just strengthens my resolve to hide away in infrastructure-land for as much as possible. No, this thing didn't act differently before we worked on a completely unrelated system.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

QuiteEasilyDone posted:

That would be a seriously hosed up thing to do to a combat veteran.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
Our team has been developing a replacement automation system using a new tool for almost a year now, prod rollout is in a month...

Cue the tool developer being bought out and throwing all our plans into question. Can't wait for these meetings! :negative:

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice
Level3 has been making GBS threads itself for a week now on the east coast. Our users are logging tons of tickets pissed off at us because their remote sessions keep dropping, but they can get to google so it can't be their internet connection.

Also sales keeps telling people they can fire their IT provider if they switch to us, because everything's in the cloud now! :downs:

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Doccers posted:

I know someone who was in that field (broadcast engineer) and apparently that's really not terribly uncommon.

this was a few years ago, right before the digital switch, but one of the major Denver stations had a transmitter up on lookout mountain that you couldn't get parts for, it all had to be made in-house or custom wound. They had to go up there one night during chinook season to replace something that was in danger of failing, and climb up a tower in 40mph gusting winds.

I'll have to ask them for more stories...

Yeah, the unavailability of parts for aging and expensive critical infrastructure isn't really something you can ding the station for at all.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
What are people using in place of Cisco Anyconnect on Mac? My predecessor let them use PPTP until Apple (rightfully) pulled it, now these people want back on the VPN but Anyconnect isn't in the ITunes store.

These are personal devices so I'm not installing any cisco packages on there unless I have 0 other options.

Any easy solutions that are Anyconnect compatible?

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Judge Schnoopy posted:

What are people using in place of Cisco Anyconnect on Mac? My predecessor let them use PPTP until Apple (rightfully) pulled it, now these people want back on the VPN but Anyconnect isn't in the ITunes store.

These are personal devices so I'm not installing any cisco packages on there unless I have 0 other options.

Any easy solutions that are Anyconnect compatible?

Mac built in VPN client works for just fine and does IPsec VPN with minimal pain.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
A legit enough ticket came in...

An Iphone has a Gmail account, created via the Google option in Settings -> Mail -> Add Account. It's been operating fine for some time.

We have a captive portal to require non-https web access over the wireless network to have a user log in with their AD account. The user in question had a problem where her Gmail account wouldn't fetch mail and throw an error that it couldn't connect to imap.gmail.com or whatnot. Once she authenticated through the captive portal, she was able to get her mail as normal.

She was right next to a wireless access point, so it was a perfect signal, but she also had four bars of LTE signal as well.

My question: do Iphones use the logic of "use strongest connection only" or is there a way to force the use of the cell network connection if connectivity fails on WLAN?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

MJP posted:

A legit enough ticket came in...

An Iphone has a Gmail account, created via the Google option in Settings -> Mail -> Add Account. It's been operating fine for some time.

We have a captive portal to require non-https web access over the wireless network to have a user log in with their AD account. The user in question had a problem where her Gmail account wouldn't fetch mail and throw an error that it couldn't connect to imap.gmail.com or whatnot. Once she authenticated through the captive portal, she was able to get her mail as normal.

She was right next to a wireless access point, so it was a perfect signal, but she also had four bars of LTE signal as well.

My question: do Iphones use the logic of "use strongest connection only" or is there a way to force the use of the cell network connection if connectivity fails on WLAN?

Well, if it's a captive portal it didn't fail connecting to the WLAN. It failed on authenticating to the captive portal so it can communicate to anything other than the captive portal. But the WLAN part was working correctly.

But yes, typically if you can't connect to a WLAN most phones (including iPhone) will fail back the carrier network.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PremiumSupport
Aug 17, 2015

flosofl posted:

Well, if it's a captive portal it didn't fail connecting to the WLAN. It failed on authenticating to the captive portal so it can communicate to anything other than the captive portal. But the WLAN part was working correctly.

But yes, typically if you can't connect to a WLAN most phones (including iPhone) will fail back the carrier network.

As flosofl said, the phone is connecting to the WLAN just fine, which overrides the carrier network for all web communication. The only solutions I know of to force the phone to use LTE are for the user to "forget" the WLAN network and never allow the phone to connect to it, or turn off wifi completely.

• Locked thread