Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Scionix
Oct 17, 2009

hoog emm xDDD

Grittybeard posted:

You are impressively committed to your shithead gimmick I have to admit.

at first they came for the rape enablers and concussion ignorers, and I said nothing,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hello Towel
Aug 9, 2010

mercenarynuker posted:

This thread is great, and a glimpse into the aspect of teams that I certainly don't consider enough, but goddamnit, every time I see an explosion of posts, my first thought is "oh gently caress, there went Fleck"

As a longtime fan of both Indiana and WMU, I am going to die if (when) Fleck goes to Purdue.

wernox
Mar 26, 2001

I gave up my OG title for this.

Hello Towel posted:

As a longtime fan of both Indiana and WMU, I am going to die if (when) Fleck goes to Purdue.

If Purdue hires someone before Fleck makes some sort of announcement, its because Fleck told them no.

EDIT: And I wonder how much of the quick trigger on Wilson was related to fear that Tom Allen was going to leave for greener pastures. I know there is all of this talk about outside, independent investigations, but that just says to me that Glass was looking for a good excuse. Its no secret that he and Wilson don't like each other.

wernox fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Dec 2, 2016

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
Hey guys Let's check in with SI's Pete Thamel!

quote:

Oregon has significant interest in Ohio State co-defensive coordinator Greg Schiano.

:raise:

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Keeping Tim Allen is good. IU's athletic director has been killing it. Someone post Isiah Thomas waving the crying Jordan giant head around.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Scionix posted:

at first they came for the rape enablers and concussion ignorers, and I said nothing,

You never said nothing ever

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

So let's see what the official word is now that the dust has settled.

ESPN posted:

Indiana University officials have accepted the resignation of football coach Kevin Wilson due to "philosophical differences," with defensive coordinator Tom Allen immediately given a six-year deal to take over the full-time job, the school announced Thursday.

:laffo: I'm sure this is some legalese thing that allowed wilson to take the $540k buyout, but that is 100% bullshit.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Yeah he definitely did not agree to take a fifth of his buyout just to be a nice guy

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

A still salty UH booster left this bit of info -

The courtesy car by the way was a Ford Escape.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Korranus posted:

lol, well i mean, did they want him to take it with him?

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

lol I guess so, at that point some still salty UH booster can accuse Herman of auto theft and his dealership wouldn't be stuck with a lovely Ford on his used car lot.

I'm lightly surprised UT made him drive to an airport. No booster could pay for a cab or limo that day? Or just helicopter him straight to UT?

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Korranus posted:

lol I guess so, at that point some still salty UH booster can accuse Herman of auto theft and his dealership wouldn't be stuck with a lovely Ford on his used car lot.

I'm lightly surprised UT made him drive to an airport. No booster could pay for a cab or limo that day? Or just helicopter him straight to UT?

lol this a good point

also, i assume that dana is not actually a candidate at uh?

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

Korranus posted:

He told them where it was. Seems pretty polite to me.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Seriously he could have stashed that thing deep in a parking garage and thrown the keys away if he wanted.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

DJExile posted:

Seriously he could have stashed that thing deep in a parking garage and thrown the keys away if he wanted.

"but you'll need to pay for that ford focus"

tom herman: lol, okay

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Korranus posted:

When the Big 12 news came, this was inevitable and anyone thinking otherwise is fooling themselves.

gonna be real loving mad if UH hires Art Briles

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

When the Big 12 news came, this was inevitable and anyone thinking otherwise is fooling themselves.

gonna be real loving mad if UH hires Art Briles

This was going to happen even if they were joining the Big XII

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
https://twitter.com/dandakich/status/804693483655221248

Goddamn

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Probably would have preferred him to leave it at campus or bring it back to wherever he got it. Lol at that booster putting this out there.

Jivesauce
Nov 22, 2007
Here is a Bob Kravitz article with a little more information about Kevin Wilson: https://www.wthr.com/article/kravitz-despite-his-on-field-successes-kevin-wilson-gets-shown-the-door-at-iu

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

If that's accurate then that's a drat good hire.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

also, i assume that dana is not actually a candidate at uh?

Even if he is I don't think Dana should leave.

I have zero trust in a list of candidates until next week. All the names being floated are all represented by the same agent obviously "leaking" poo poo to ESPN.

Democrazy
Oct 16, 2008

If you're not willing to lick the boot, then really why are you in politics lol? Everything is a cycle of just getting stomped on so why do you want to lose to it over and over, just submit like me, I'm very intelligent.
If the speculation about Kevin Wilson's cavalier attitude toward injuries is true, then good on IU for taking corrective action and not ignoring it.

Democrazy fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Dec 2, 2016

Hello Towel
Aug 9, 2010

Democrazy posted:

If the speculation about Kevin Wilson's cavalier attitude toward injuries is true, then good on IU for taking corrective action and not ignoring it.

I actually do believe Fred Glass about "philosophical differences," to an extent. Apparently the independent review didn't establish enough to show cause to fire Wilson, but it's clear that something was going on with injuries and concussions. If there wasn't something reputation-tarnishing like that, why else would Wilson settle for so little of his buyout?

Combine that with Wilson's well-known history of belligerence towards athletes, students, and the administration, and it makes sense that Glass would want him out.

Since he came in at Indiana, Glass has been huge on student-athletes' rights. Even if Wilson's behavior wasn't technically a violation of his contract or NCAA rules, I know Glass wouldn't put up with that kind of stuff, considering his history.

And yes, the presumed impending unavailability of Allen surely had to do with it.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Yes, we have "philosophical differences." I for example, don't think being an abusive fucker who plays injured players is good. Kevin of course disagrees.

downout
Jul 6, 2009

KIM JONG TRILL posted:

There had always been a sort of unstated thing about Kevin Wilson Jerry Sandusky when he was OU PSU. Nobody ever talked about it but everyone seemed to know there was something up with him. There was a reason the best job he could get was Indiana PSU DC.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
Lane's gonna interview with Houston on Sunday

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2016/12/2/13820020/lane-kiffin-houston-head-coaching-job-interview-lsu-alabama

quote:

Multiple sources have also confirmed to SB Nation that Alabama head coach Nick Saban is actively promoting Kiffin to Houston, ostensibly to keep his OC from jumping to a division rival next season.

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners

How should I feel about this

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

curried lamb of God posted:

Lane is a good recruiter, obviously a good schemer, and failed miserably at USC. so if he's learned from that maybe he's a good pick?

I don't want Lane but I'm not particularly against it.

EDIT: To be clear, I think he'd be a fine coach at Houston, but I watched USC flail and laughed, and I don't want to watch Houston flail if Lane is just incapable of being a head coach.

Ghost of Reagan Past fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Dec 2, 2016

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

"Better than Art Briles" should be the response to any UH rumors.

Spintzel
Dec 31, 2007

Distractions makes it better when ya take up the ENTIRE ROAD
2017 is going to have Lane Kiffin and Coach O as head coaches. Get hyped

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

"nick, i am being told," finebaum said, stroking the slav hair, "that lane is being recruited by LSU run his offense"

Nick sat up, straight in bed and grabbed the phone. "Hello Houston, I have a problem."

Scionix
Oct 17, 2009

hoog emm xDDD

he's a good recruiter and his offense works for the most part so you could probably do worse? I dunno depends if he's learned anything the past 3 years

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

I was hoping he'd wind up somewhere better but realistically that's probably the best job available to him right now and a huge jump from where he is. Good for him, I hope he can still have super fun offenses that light up everyone except Iowa. Also hope WKU just promotes his brother to keep their good thing rolling.

dphi
Jul 9, 2001
Is there evidence that he's a good recruiter besides coaching at schools that always get good recruits anyway?

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Buy the first Lane Kiffin tshirt you see and get ready to burn/piss on it when he leaves

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

MourningView posted:

I was hoping he'd wind up somewhere better but realistically that's probably the best job available to him right now and a huge jump from where he is. Good for him, I hope he can still have super fun offenses that light up everyone except Iowa. Also hope WKU just promotes his brother to keep their good thing rolling.

Seems like a good deal. Purdue's a tough job, but I think he's innovative enough to do well there but he might have held out for a better job once Oregon pulls the trigger -- though it sounds like barring some craziness in bowl season, there's not going to be a lot of movement.

--

I am still waiting to see who Baylor finds. I don't think they realize how awful that job is.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

dphi posted:

Is there evidence that he's a good recruiter besides coaching at schools that always get good recruits anyway?

Even by USC and UT standards he got really good classes. He had the number one class in the country at USC one year (at a time when they were in theory under restrictions but he kinda ignored those sooo), and he's always had a rep as a good recruiter as an assistant. He's a great assistant, but I would be super reluctant to hire him as a HC given his overall track record. It's hilarious that a couple years as part of the Alabama machine was all it took to get people to treat him like a great candidate again, especially given the track record of Bama assistants everywhere else

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

MourningView posted:

Even by USC and UT standards he got really good classes. He had the number one class in the country at USC one year (at a time when they were in theory under restrictions but he kinda ignored those sooo), and he's always had a rep as a good recruiter as an assistant. He's a great assistant, but I would be super reluctant to hire him as a HC given his overall track record. It's hilarious that a couple years as part of the Alabama machine was all it took to get people to treat him like a great candidate again, especially given the track record of Bama assistants everywhere else

Weeeeellll from the reports, he apparently didn't get a lot of attention from the name brand jobs because there was a lot of negative poo poo about him, and a non-power 5 is the best he was gonna do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

lol at dan loving dakich of all people being the one to scoop that

• Locked thread